PDA

View Full Version : The Boards 'Mission Statement' from back 2007 (?) Was There Content Re Style Of Play?

smurf
18-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Sure there was....

Did the board keep this in mind when interviewing CC for the post?

And how do they words square with hoof after hoof launched towards Sodje and (please) Agogo?

Before CC was appointed I said I wanted 'winning football'. The style didn't matter as long as we were winning a decent % of football matches.

What we've ended up with is a horrific brand of football that's even worse 'losing football'.

BEEJ
18-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Yes, there was.

Hibs FC Board Statement (29/01/08)

The following is a statement from the Board of Hibernian Football Club.

The Board’s vision for Hibernian can be defined in three words – successful, exciting and sustainable.

Successful - because the Board is determined to see Hibernian compete each year at the upper echelon of Scottish football, achieve European football on a regular basis, and remain secure for future generations with a first-class infrastructure.

Exciting - because we want to play an entertaining brand of football and thereby provide a return for every supporter who invests in a ticket for the match or a season ticket.

Sustainable - because we must always remember that the long-term stability of the club is paramount. The Board would be negligent if it tried to pursue short-term success at the expense of long-term stability. Our job is to develop the Club in a way that ensures it will be here for generations to come.

So that’s our vision – successful, exciting and sustainable football. To deliver that vision, the Board has to balance many factors. A number of key aims are contained within the Board’s strategy, these include:

* developing a first-class training centre to support the development of our talented footballers
* completing Easter Road as a top quality, modern stadium that provides the Club’s supporters with the best possible facilities
* and, of course, providing the Manager with the support he needs to build and develop his squad. This is done in an incremental and sustainable way, adding to costs when increased levels of revenue are achieved or foreseen

Football Infrastructure

In the past few weeks Hibernian has celebrated the opening of a £4.9m state-of-the-art training centre – representing the biggest single investment in the development of the football team the Club has ever made.

The provision of a training centre was identified as the top priority facing the Board by successive managers who saw the creation of a high quality training centre as the best investment the Board could make for the development of the team. That has been delivered, and the Club now owns a facility that rivals the best available anywhere for the development of players.

Stadium Development

The Club continues to work towards completing Easter Road Stadium as a top class football venue through building a new East Stand. The existing planning consent is valid until 2010 and discussions are taking place with a number of contractors. Three new stands have been built in the last twelve years and completing the fourth stand would confirm Easter Road’s status as the finest football arena in the country outside of Glasgow. No other Club outwith the Old Firm enjoys ownership of a quality stadium and a first class training centre.

Squad Development

The Club has a track record of working with the Manager to help him achieve the squad of players he wants. In the year ended 31 July 2007, the Club spent almost £1 million either bringing new players to the Club or following the Manager’s recommendations in securing players already at the Club. The ability of the Club to commit this sum reflects the improving finances and the priority given by the Board. All the key signing targets identified to the Board were secured in the summer transfer window.

The Board has now appointed Mixu Paatelainen as Manager - a bright, enthusiastic young man with good man management skills. He also happens to be a former Hibernian hero, to the delight of both the Board and the Club’s supporters.

In supporting Mixu Paatelainen, two more players have been signed so far in the January transfer window – John Rankin from Inverness Caledonian Thistle for a six figure fee, and former captain Ian Murray from Norwich City. The Board continues to seek to support the Manager in his efforts to shape the squad.

Everyone is aware that David Murphy has left for the English Premiership – one of the very few players to move from a Scottish club to England’s top flight in recent years – for a substantial fee. David was signed for no fee by former manager Tony Mowbray in 2004 and developed into an exceptional player for the Club. David had made plain his desire to return to England for personal and professional reasons. Other players have gone on loan to get first team football and Torben Joneleit is returning to AC Monaco.

The Manager has a budget and it is for the Manager to decide how that should be spent. We operate in a structured and well-managed way but we also understand the need for flexiblity. Headroom in the budget is available to the new Manager and he has funds available to help bring players to the Club if that is what he wants to do.

Trading at a loss by overspending on player costs in an attempt to buy short-term success is unsustainable and is a strategy which has been discredited.

Summary

The Board continues to believe that the Club is leading the way within Scottish football and that Hibernian is highly competitive in both sporting and financial terms.

It is now more than five years since the financial meltdown in Scottish football in 2002. During that time the Club has finished in the top half of the SPL for the last three seasons; has been to the semi finals of the Scottish Cup on three occasions; has played in two League Cup finals – winning the Cup in 2007- and has taken part in European competitions on three occasions: twice in the UEFA Intertoto Cup and once in the UEFA Cup.

Throughout that period, players have come and players have gone. Successive managers have brought through young players from the Club’s youth academy as well as bringing new players to the Club to shape their squad at the start of each season. Each of these talented and exciting teams was built within the framework of the Board’s vision.

Whilst the personnel at the Club are transient, the one constant is the extended Hibernian family, including those supporters who attend every match and those who attend less often. The players, management and everyone at the Club is grateful for the backing given to the team. The Board believes that the Hibernian family understands the need to ensure our Club is run in a way that the team’s efforts can be enjoyed not just by today’s supporters but by supporters in generations to come.

Saorsa
18-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Exciting - because we want to play an entertaining brand of football and thereby provide a return for every supporter who invests in a ticket for the match or a season ticket.Epic fail there then, what I've watched since we won the cup hasnae been worth the price of one season ticket, let alone the 5 since then. :bitchy:

smurf
18-09-2011, 03:32 PM
It's tempting to use yet another failed board appointment as reason to beat the board with it.

However, I don't think anyone could have predicted just how absolute disastrous an appointment he would be given his cv and the not unsubstantial backing he's been given in the windows.

Therefore I have sympathy for the board at the position as our custodians they find our club in.

What is critical is how they now react. By continuing to support their guy is hell of a high risk strategy.

I supported the wording of the board 'mission statement'.

The reality as we are all aware is that we enter a SPL campaign knowing full well we have absolutely no hope or chance of winning the competition. Furthermore thousands and thousands of us do so by investing money up front by means of a season ticket.

The return we seek is limited and achievable.

The reality though has been different for too long. Our results are horrific and the brand of football completely contrary to the boards stated aims and values.

We simply can't afford to have a repeat of last season this. The evidence is becoming more and more conclusive that that's where we are heading.

Captain Trips
18-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Off the park fair enough they have done well, however the job stated by them on the pitch has failed badly and they are way off the mark, their job that they are paid to do is to make sure the off park and on park are both doing well, they have failed to balance both therefore should be removed as this is failure from their own statement.

SneakersO'Toole
19-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Reading that statement and then assessing what we as fans have been subjected to since then only confirms to me that we are going nowhere under the current leaders.

We are rudderless with absolutely no plan in place to rectify failings.

Maybe BEEJ can confirm but I was sure there has been another mission statement of such after this one? I could be wrong right enough. Anybody able to confirm or deny?

smurf
19-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Certainly if that was their manifesto they would struggle for re-election.

bawheid
19-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Certainly if that was their manifesto they would struggle for re-election.

An election suggests someone would be running against them.

Who??

Stevie Reid
19-09-2011, 02:48 PM
It's tempting to use yet another failed board appointment as reason to beat the board with it.

However, I don't think anyone could have predicted just how absolute disastrous an appointment he would be given his cv and the not unsubstantial backing he's been given in the windows.

Therefore I have sympathy for the board at the position as our custodians they find our club in.

What is critical is how they now react. By continuing to support their guy is hell of a high risk strategy.

I supported the wording of the board 'mission statement'.

The reality as we are all aware is that we enter a SPL campaign knowing full well we have absolutely no hope or chance of winning the competition. Furthermore thousands and thousands of us do so by investing money up front by means of a season ticket.

The return we seek is limited and achievable.

The reality though has been different for too long. Our results are horrific and the brand of football completely contrary to the boards stated aims and values.

We simply can't afford to have a repeat of last season this. The evidence is becoming more and more conclusive that that's where we are heading.

Excellent post, Smurf - especially the bit in bold.

nortonhibby
19-09-2011, 02:57 PM

Who??

No one can run against them it is a closed shop and RP Calls the shots, all we can dio is let them know our feelings re the brand of football on show, the quality of the players brought in, and the tactics of our management team, and results.

All of which one word is suffice "poor"

smurf
19-09-2011, 02:59 PM

Who??

Could you imagine if supporters all over the world in the history of the game had just accepted your position?

Football clubs without their supporters are NOTHING.

Every professional football club in the world have owners. They have board of directors.

Only us Hibbys could have the closed mind there is no alternative to what we have outlook....:confused:

bawheid
19-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Could you imagine if supporters all over the world in the history of the game had just accepted your position?

Football clubs without their supporters are NOTHING.

Every professional football club in the world have owners. They have board of directors.

Only us Hibbys could have the closed mind there is no alternative to what we have outlook....:confused:

What are you on about? I struggle to see how this post has any relevance to the post you quoted.

What is "my position"?

In fact, what is "your position"? You want STF out but you don't actually have an alternative. You were all for Brian Kennedy taking over after he flashed his knickers and put a few nice drawings up in the Edinburgh Evening News. History totally discredits "your position", since having failed in his bid to buy Hibs, Brian Kennedy subsequently flushed Stockport County down the toilet.

Back to the point. You want the current board "voted out". Who are you voting in??

Captain Trips
19-09-2011, 05:19 PM
I want the board out, I do not know who to vote in or who would do better that however does not mean this board should stay because I do not have alternative. I am sure there are lots of things in life we would like to change but do not always have a solution.

This board as it stands imo are a footballing failure.

Leith Green
19-09-2011, 07:08 PM
I want the board out, I do not know who to vote in or who would do better that however does not mean this board should stay because I do not have alternative. I am sure there are lots of things in life we would like to change but do not always have a solution.

This board as it stands imo are a footballing failure.

This is looking like it could be my last year with a season ticket having held one since the early nineties, i'm past a change of manager now.
This board has I believe tried their best and got a few things spot on, however they have failed miserably in so many other ways and the negativity surrounding the club in recent years stems from them.

I never thought I'd see the day I'd consider not going to Easter Rd but I believe it is the only language our present board actually grasp, falling attendances equals big problems. Take my group of mates as an example, we are down to three season ticket holders, three years ago we were well into double figures.

No change then no season ticket next season, and I bet there are many more feeling the same.

Dashing Bob S
20-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I think the board have forgotten a fundamental lesson, which the dwindling attendances and comments on this forum echo, is that Hibs fans won't tolerate rubbish. We won't make a song and dance about it, we'll just stop going.

We want either:

1. Attractive, attacking passing football

2. Winning football

3. Evidence of an aspiration/movement towards 1 or 2.

Under the current reign, we have neither, so we become disinterested/bitter/bored/otherwise occupied.

It surely isn't that difficult to work out. We have the infrastructure in place. If we want to start again with the team, lets find a manager who is enthusiastic and wants to be here. Calderwood is treading water, it's a competition between him and the board as to whether he's sacked first or jumps.