PDA

View Full Version : 2 away goals, 14 shots, 50% of the ball

HH81
17-09-2011, 06:57 PM
...............and an away point.

Massive improvement on last Saturday. Roll on Tuesday for more of the same.

I think most would have taken 2-2 today.

grantonhibee
17-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Someone had one to many crabbies ??

Elephant Stone
17-09-2011, 07:02 PM

If we play like that against "good" teams we will lose. Like we have done again and again.

chrisski33
17-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Play like we did today and we will lose mid week simples! We couldnt even defend our 2 goal lead! I certainly dont want more of the same! I want cc out and back to winning football and to climb up that league!

Saorsa
17-09-2011, 07:27 PM

I think most would have taken 2-2 today.Awrite mate,

See when you've been on your travels up here have you ever noticed if you can get that stuff here? :dunno:

:greengrin

marinello59
17-09-2011, 07:34 PM

Look at the stats without seeing the game and it doesn't look too bad. Having watched the game the Stats are damned lies. It was dreadful.

IWasThere2016
17-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Don't you just love stats - we were better v ICT according to the stats but there were still those slating us. In the interests of balance an alternative set of stats - against:

Top 6 - P3 W0 D0 L3 F1 A8 Pts 0
Bottom 6 - P4 W1 D2 L1 F4 A4 Pts 5

We look very bottom 6 - that's not good enough in my book.

Sir David Gray
17-09-2011, 07:45 PM
We are joint bottom of the table after almost a fifth of the season having been played.

That's the only statistic I'm really interested in. It's shameful and completely unacceptable.

HH81
17-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Look at the stats without seeing the game and it doesn't look too bad. Having watched the game the Stats are damned lies. It was dreadful.

I watched the game and until Hibs went 2 up I thought they done
Fine. Yes the subs were a bit odd but they had nothing to do with the goals. Are you telling me if offered you a draw at 12 you wouldn't have taken it?

HH81
17-09-2011, 07:53 PM
We are joint bottom of the table after almost a fifth of the season having been played.

That's the only statistic I'm really interested in. It's shameful and completely unacceptable.

Yes but your only ever happy when your talking about them clowns from Manchester.

Elephant Stone
17-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I watched the game and until Hibs went 2 up I thought they done
Fine. Yes the subs were a bit odd but they had nothing to do with the goals. Are you telling me if offered you a draw at 12 you wouldn't have taken it?

If you were offered a match where we'd probably not string five passes together, look worse than a newly promoted team with a vastly inferior wage bill and throw away a two goal lead when we're in dire need for three points to lift us off the bottom of the table and end up staying joint bottom of the league after it all you'd have taken it?

We were absolutely dreadful and if the opposition were even slightly better we'd have taken a dooing. It's performances like that that have us sitting with a 25% win record and it's performances like that we need to avoid, only getting rid of the manager will let us do that as he is clearly quite content with performing like this and hoping for the odd stolen goal to get by. He's useless.

DH1875
17-09-2011, 08:42 PM

Maybe but his decision to take of our two best players with 30 minutes to go was nothing short of ridiculous.

matty_f
18-09-2011, 11:11 AM

We're not joint bottom of the table.:confused:

Lucius Apuleius
18-09-2011, 12:02 PM
I agree Halifax. Thought we were a lot better. Still not very good, but a lot better. What I cannot get my head round is the statements that if we were playing a better team we would have been beaten. Duh, yeah, course we would. However we were not, we were playing a team roughly on a par, sadly, with us. Personally I think we can still improve with the players we have, I don't think Dunfermline can. Not going to be a happy camper all season but, and maybe it is head in the sand stuff, I do not see us being relegated.

Sir David Gray
18-09-2011, 12:37 PM
We're not joint bottom of the table.:confused:

:confused: Aye, we are.

Hibs and Inverness both have 5 points, we're only above them by one goal.

That makes us joint bottom.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-09-2011, 01:22 PM
It is not as easy as saying would you have taken a 2-2 draw before hand though is it? If we were 2 down and fought back, then we would be double chuffed today with a point gained. Irrespective of our current form and whoever the opponents are, if you are two up coasting and end up all square and hanging on, that is two points chucked. No debate IMO. Closing down a game at one up takes organisation and discipline, but surely closing a game out from two up and into the second half, takes basic football theory.

Newhaven
18-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Sorry but I believe a club of our stature and resource should be seeing off the Pars with ease.

That fans are happy with a point and two goals says to me how low our ambitions are at the club :boo hoo:

Hermit Crab
18-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Not being 0-2 up and seemingly in control, maybe if we were 2-0 down. These are the games we should be winning if we want to avoid the relegation battle. Improvement my hoop!

Beefster
18-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Using your logic, teams that finish second on goal difference are joint champions?

We're currently second bottom.

Sir David Gray
18-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Using your logic, teams that finish second on goal difference are joint champions?

I'm fairly certain that most people use the term "joint top" or "joint bottom" when referring to two teams who are on the same number of points during the season.

Obviously our definition of what "joint bottom" means, differs.

matty_f
18-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Using your logic, teams that finish second on goal difference are joint champions?We're currently second bottom.:agree: if the league finished today we would be second bottom and ict would go down.

YehButNoBut
18-09-2011, 02:54 PM
:agree: if the league finished today we would be second bottom and ict would go down.

Right now I'd settle for that. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
18-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Rob McLean's just said on Sportscene that we have the "dubious honour of sharing bottom spot"....:na na:

:greengrin

nortonhibby
18-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Don't you just love stats - we were better v ICT according to the stats but there were still those slating us. In the interests of balance an alternative set of stats - against:

Top 6 - P3 W0 D0 L3 F1 A8 Pts 0
Bottom 6 - P4 W1 D2 L1 F4 A4 Pts 5

We look very bottom 6 - that's not good enough in my book.

Interesting what id like to know is our Stats from 1st Jan 2010 to todays date i feel like we have been in a Duffster type roll since we started 2010 and it seems to be getting worse FH ?:flag:

Scouse Hibee
18-09-2011, 10:08 PM

:faf:

nortonhibby
18-09-2011, 10:34 PM
:faf:

Bottom line is if the season was over we would be second botom and have survived, with CC Still in charge then i for one would bite your hand of right now to survive by one goal:greengrin

Dirkster23
18-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Yes but your only ever happy when your talking about them clowns from Manchester.

A bit like yourself :na na:

Yes things were a bit better to start with on Saturday, but i'm not seeing anything yet that suggests we wont be in a relegation battle this season.

Musselbound
19-09-2011, 07:20 AM

:agree: if the league finished today we would be second bottom and ict would go down.

Possibly the biggest case of clutching at straws I've seen yet. Nothing to do with winning the league or going down at the end of the season. In common speak, currently joint bottom or joint top has always meant having the same number of points to my knowledge. I doubt if we'd be having this debate if we were a goal behind Rangers at the top of the league!

Scouse Hibee
19-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Possibly the biggest case of clutching at straws I've seen yet. Nothing to do with winning the league or going down at the end of the season. In common speak, currently joint bottom or joint top has always meant having the same number of points to my knowledge. I doubt if we'd be having this debate if we were a goal behind Rangers at the top of the league!

I don't think anyone is clutching at straws at all, we all know how the bad situation is that finds us currently second bottom of the SPL! We're not bottom by the virtue of goal difference and that's the only point that is being made.

StevieC
19-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Certainly not looking like world beaters, but there were signs of improvement there (shown by the statistics and the two goals).

The "supporters" on here have been shouting out for signs of improvement .. they get it .. and yet the place is still awash with "supporters" looking for the negatives in the performance.

matty_f
19-09-2011, 08:21 AM
I don't think anyone is clutching at straws at all, we all know how the bad situation is that finds us currently second bottom of the SPL! We're not bottom by the virtue of goal difference and that's the only point that is being made.

:agree: Exactly. The statement was wrong, we're not joint bottom. The league placings are worked out using various metrics, and those metrics place us 11th, not 12th. Therefore, we are 11th, not joint bottom.

Sir David Gray
19-09-2011, 09:12 AM
:agree: Exactly. The statement was wrong, we're not joint bottom. The league placings are worked out using various metrics, and those metrics place us 11th, not 12th. Therefore, we are 11th, not joint bottom.

Like I said earlier, even Rob McLean talked about us "sharing bottom spot" last night.

I don't believe my statement was wrong, it's a phrase that's used all the time by people in the media and journalists to describe teams that are on the same number of points, either at the top or the bottom during the course of the season.

As a poster before me points out, we wouldn't be having this conversation if we were currently "joint top" of the league.

Anyway, that's my last word on the matter as it's obviously not going anywhere.

Scouse Hibee
19-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Like I said earlier, even Rob McLean talked about us "sharing bottom spot" last night.

I don't believe my statement was wrong, it's a phrase that's used all the time by people in the media and journalists to describe teams that are on the same number of points, either at the top or the bottom during the course of the season.

As a poster before me points out, we wouldn't be having this conversation if we were currently "joint top" of the league.

Anyway, that's my last word on the matter as it's obviously not going anywhere.

Jeez! Some people just can't accept facts you are both wrong!
It may only be goal difference but it seperates the position of bottom and second bottom, the same as it can decide Champions/Relegation/Play Off/Top Six/Bottom Six.

matty_f
19-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Jeez! Some people just can't accept facts you are both wrong!
It may only be goal difference but it seperates the position of bottom and second bottom, the same as it can decide Champions/Relegation/Play Off/Top Six/Bottom Six.

But Rob Mclean said it, which is basically a real life version of putting 'FACT' at the end of a post.:greengrin

Stevie Reid
19-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Can't believe FH is getting pulled up for that statement. We have the same number of points as the team that's bottom of the league, and lie in 11th place - dress it up however you want, we are awful.

Part/Time Supporter
19-09-2011, 10:36 AM

Not really, as Hibs would still have to play the game in hand. If they lost by 2 goals or more they would go down. I can't be arsed checking what the position would be with a 1 goal defeat.

eg Hibs were bottom at the final whistle of their game on Saturday, as their goal difference was one worse than ICT, but then moved up a place by 5pm because ICT lost 3-1.

matty_f
19-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Can't believe FH is getting pulled up for that statement. We have the same number of points as the team that's bottom of the league, and lie in 11th place - dress it up however you want, we are awful.

It is quite pedantic, eh?:greengrin

Not trying to dress anything up though, just not intent on making it worse than it actually is. I don't think any sane person could pretend we're anything other than pish right now.

Not really, as Hibs would still have to play the game in hand. If they lost by 2 goals or more they would go down. I can't be arsed checking what the position would be with a 1 goal defeat.

eg Hibs were bottom at the final whistle of their game on Saturday, as their goal difference was one worse than ICT, but then moved up a place by 5pm because ICT lost 3-1.

This is true.:greengrin

True, but if we won it we'd be well out of it.

Stevie Reid
19-09-2011, 11:09 AM
It is quite pedantic, eh?:greengrin

Not trying to dress anything up though, just not intent on making it worse than it actually is. I don't think any sane person could pretend we're anything other than pish right now.

You are just a passionate Hibbie trying to make the best of a bad situation, Matty - nothing wrong with that :aok:

I read your posts, I know you're under no illusions as to where we are right now (maybe I could have worded that better :greengrin)

BEEJ
19-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Remember the days when having a game in hand was seen as being an advantage? :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-09-2011, 11:42 AM

FH - How can we be above them by a goal and joint bottom at the same time? :confused:

Franck is God
19-09-2011, 11:49 AM
There were parts of Saturdays game I was happier with without being pleased about the overall performance.

Far too much back to front football which is fine if we had the players to do that but we don't have a Kevin Kyle type forward to bully the opposition defence and bring the midfield into the game from the front so launching the ball long is pointless.

The chances we did create and the goals we scored came from actual football and that is what I want to see more of. CC needs to find a balance in midfield to keep the ball and move it effectively. I thought that Palsson & Osbourne would be a good partnership that would win the ball enough to allow what was effectively a front four on Saturday to create and score. Most of the time there was just a massive gap between the defence and the front line which meant Dunfermline had an easy job bringing the ball forward and at no time did we counter-act it by moving up the pitch.

I used to moan about Jones playing too deep at the back and as a result leaving the forwards having to collect the ball at the half way line and do something from there, if O'Hanlon's lack of pace is doing this again then I'd rather have Stephens in there, he may be young and a bit raw but he has more than enough pace to recover from an error at the half way line.