PDA

View Full Version : Stan Vincent

Disshibee
16-09-2011, 09:59 PM
On one of my rare visits to Edinburgh in recent times I ended up in a city centre pub this week having a pint with an old schoolmate. We got chatting to a couple of guys at the next table and it transpired that one of them was Stan Vincent the ex Hibs centre forward. I admitted that I hadn't seen Hibs play at Easter Road for some years and Stan said that although he goes to all the home games, neither had he! We then went on to recall the quality players Hibs had at the time Stan was with Hibs, Pat Quinn, Eric Stevenson, Neil Martin, Colin Stein and, Stans favourite, the peerless Willie Hamilton, to name but a few. Stan was very respectful with regard to the current Hibs squad and management and didn't bad mouth any individuals but he admitted he was really concerned at the lack of quality within the present set up and genuinely feared for the future of the club. He recalled his times at Easter Road with great affection and obviously is still very passionate about the Hibees . Stan scored readily for the reserves but just couldn't break into the first team under Bob Shankly due to the high scoring Colin Stein who was ably abetted in the scoring stakes at that time by Eric Stevenson and Jim Scott but, he did score against the Hearts. We chatted until closing time and I thoroughly enjoyed his company. I know there is nothing newsworthy or earth shattering in my post but I just thought I'd share my experience.

FranckSuzy
16-09-2011, 10:05 PM
On one of my rare visits to Edinburgh in recent times I ended up in a city centre pub this week having a pint with an old schoolmate. We got chatting to a couple of guys at the next table and it transpired that one of them was Stan Vincent the ex Hibs centre forward. I admitted that I hadn't seen Hibs play at Easter Road for some years and Stan said that although he goes to all the home games, neither had he! We then went on to recall the quality players Hibs had at the time Stan was with Hibs, Pat Quinn, Eric Stevenson, Neil Martin, Colin Stein and, Stans favourite, the peerless Willie Hamilton, to name but a few. Stan was very respectful with regard to the current Hibs squad and management and didn't bad mouth any individuals but he admitted he was really concerned at the lack of quality within the present set up and genuinely feared for the future of the club. He recalled his times at Easter Road with great affection and obviously is still very passionate about the Hibees . Stan scored readily for the reserves but just couldn't break into the first team under Bob Shankly due to the high scoring Colin Stein who was ably abetted in the scoring stakes at that time by Eric Stevenson and Jim Scott but, he did score against the Hearts. We chatted until closing time and I thoroughly enjoyed his company. I know there is nothing newsworthy or earth shattering in my post but I just thought I'd share my experience.

That's nice to hear :aok:

nortonhibby
16-09-2011, 10:13 PM

I admitted that I hadn't seen Hibs play at Easter Road for some years and Stan said that although he goes to all the home games, neither had he! We then went on to

can you clear this bit up please ?:confused:

jakki
16-09-2011, 10:38 PM
I remember Stan playing for us and that he played a few games for us and was excellent. He could a few of our players to shame with his committment. Always 100%

Disshibee
16-09-2011, 10:43 PM
I admitted that I hadn't seen Hibs play at Easter Road for some years and Stan said that although he goes to all the home games, neither had he! We then went on to

Stan was inferring that Hibs hadn't played any football worth watching recently.

CapitalHibs
16-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Good to know he's still around and still got an interest in the club:thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
16-09-2011, 10:46 PM

Nice story. I started to follow Hibs in 1967 and to be honest I don't remember Stan. You're correct, we did have some quality players at the time Stan was at the club. Although he didn't feature much he must have some great memories and stories to tell the younger generation who could only dream about star players and goals galore.

CapitalHibs
16-09-2011, 10:49 PM

Not sure but think it was a winner 1-0 IIRC.

nortonhibby
16-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Stan was inferring that Hibs hadn't played any football worth watching recently.

that makes sense now he is 100 percent right there :flag:

The Harp
16-09-2011, 10:56 PM

I imagine Stan meant that although he attends Easter Road regularly, the kind of 'play' on offer couldn't really be described as football. An opinion, I'm sure, that is shared by a lot of us.
Always good to chat to former players who retain an affection for the Hibs.

iwasthere1972
16-09-2011, 11:04 PM

Summer Cup

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=2819

http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-050-818

MGmick
16-09-2011, 11:24 PM
My Old Man worked with Stan Vincent at Robbs shipyard in Leith. If I'm being honest, he always wondered htf he ever got signed.

Thinking about it, maybe it was Browns.

CapitalHibs
17-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Summer Cup

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=2819

Jeez - sometimes that thingamejig?whatchacallit? -oh aye that memory of mine really surprises me:thumbsup:

CapitalHibs
17-09-2011, 12:09 AM

Although, taking a blown up view of the picture they're trying to flog as Vincent scoring apparently has two Hibs fullbacks on the line and a Hibs goalkeeper being outjumped by what appears to be a jambo.:dunno:

Forza Fred
17-09-2011, 04:33 AM
I remember Stan as a player wtht HIbs and I have met and talked briefly with him a few years ago when on a visit to Edinburgh.

As a player he was a short but powerful centre forward.

Like many,perhaps not endowed with skill of aMmessi, but a brave, uncompromising centre forwward who regularly put his life on the line seeking a goal.

I remember one particular game against Rangers at Easter Road with us kicking up the slope, Rangers centre half Ronnie McKinnon and Stan were involved in a race for a through ball that probably went on for about 25 yards.

McKinnon put an elbow into Stan's chest every step of the way, but Stan simply kept running, put up with the elbow and won the tussle...that's the type of player he was.

Not true to say he didnt break into the first team, as he did.

Stan regularly turns up for the ex Players Association meetings (where I met him) and he is a humorous, down to earth individual, who is happy to talk football, and especially about the Hibs with anyone.

Stan was never one to blow his own trupmpet but it sounds like he deliberately down played his own contribution in a green jersey.

A fine player on the park who served HIbs as best he could when he was there, and a good ambassador for the club, now he's off the park.

That'll do me, and I wish there ewre lots more like him..

lapsedhibee
17-09-2011, 05:16 AM
Not true to say he didnt break into the first team, as he did.

:agree: Probably first choice CF for the best part of a season, iirc (but I often don't) - though he was often overshadowed by some of those other excellent players he mentions.

HIBERNIAN-0762
17-09-2011, 08:00 AM

He did indeed!, I got nicked that night under the old shed for ...ahem...over excited celebrations against the yam fuds who used to share our territory back then :rolleyes:

:wink:

capi
17-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Stan was signed from Cowdenbeath in February 1964. His record in all types of first team games is:

63-64 - 19 appearances 12 goals and 3 reserve goals
64-65 - 15 appearances 6 goals and 23 reserve goals
65-66 - 1 appearance 0 goals and 23 reserve goals
66-67 - 0 appearances and 12 reserve goals

He was transferred to Falkirk in September 1966. He was appointed third team coach on Eddie Turnbull's return in July 1971 and in July 1975 became reserve team coach. He held that position until Bertie Auld's arrival in November 1980

thebakerboy
17-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Remember Stan for his 100% attitude if not his great skill. Also remember him working in the Corstorphine Inn when Jimmy O'rourke was the licensee and he was a great guy behind the bar and a foil for Jimmy and his brother in law Danny.

TornadoHibby
17-09-2011, 03:27 PM
I remember playing for the Uni against Hibs Colts in maybe 1974 at City Park and Stan was the Colt's coach that day with my brother playing for them probably directly against me as I played full back and he was a left winger for the Colts then although he prefered left or central midfield.

I was missing sock tie ups when I got there and none of my "impoverished" team mates had spare ones (or any for some!) so knowing Stan, and most of the Hibs lads, I went into their dressing room to get some from Stan!

He laughed when he saw it was me and suggested that he was surprised that I had turned up to watch let alone play as my bro was gonna "turn me inside out" and we were gonna get absolutely "ripped up"! They had some other well known young guys at the time playing like Tam Stevens, Willie Paterson, Pat Carroll the late Dr Hugh Whyte and Davie Steedman so they really fancied their chances! :agree:

Stan was gutted at FT as we trooped off having won 2-1 and suggested that we had been so physical against "his laddies" it was outrageous forgetting that most of us were not long out of school too! :greengrin

I enjoyed meeting some of the Hibs guys in Aquarius in Grindlay Street that Saturday night I can tell you! :wink: :greengrin

Stan lives in West Edinburgh like me and I used to see him a lot when he was a member at the DL sports club at Glasgow Road but haven't seen him much over the past couple of years since he stopped going!

An absolute gem of a guy and interested in everybody he meets rarely forgetting a person he has met or the "stories" that relate to them! :agree:

Still honest too by the sound of his comments on the current Hibs performances! :wink:

fatbloke
17-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Yes he was unlucky we had such prolific guys in front of him. always thought with a name like STAN VINCENT he shouls have ben a movie star:greengrin.

fat freddy
17-09-2011, 04:11 PM
im sure i remember stan vincent being a sports reporter for the evening news and the pink ?