PDA

View Full Version : Good books

Hibrandenburg
02-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Since getting my kindle I've become a bit of a book worm. Any book suggestions? I'd prefer some light entertainment that I can have a good giggle at.

bingo70
02-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Since getting my kindle I've become a bit of a book worm. Any book suggestions? I'd prefer some light entertainment that I can have a good giggle at.

maradonas biography 'hand of god', Pele, Frankie boyles 'my **** life so far', Bert Trauttmans autobiography, Andre Agassi's autobiography, Mr Nice, marching powder and a book called Jihad are probably the best books i've read.

Mr Nice, frankie boyle and maybe hand of god are pretty light hearted so you might enjoy them, the other ones i thought were good reads but if it's just light entertainment you're after they might not be your thing.

Betty Boop
02-09-2011, 08:45 AM
maradonas biography 'hand of god', Pele, Frankie boyles 'my **** life so far', Bert Trauttmans autobiography, Andre Agassi's autobiography, Mr Nice, marching powder and a book called Jihad are probably the best books i've read.

Mr Nice, frankie boyle and maybe hand of god are pretty light hearted so you might enjoy them, the other ones i thought were good reads but if it's just light entertainment you're after they might not be your thing.

I loved Mr Nice, fascinating and funny, a great read.

bingo70
02-09-2011, 08:53 AM
I loved Mr Nice, fascinating and funny, a great read.

You should give 'marching powder' a read as well then.

Also about an english drug trafficker, it's darker in places but funny as well and definately fascinating.

Did you read any of the follow up books to Mr Nice? After i read it i wanted to read the others but was told that the story had pretty much been told and the others weren't really needed?

Betty Boop
02-09-2011, 09:39 AM
You should give 'marching powder' a read as well then.

Also about an english drug trafficker, it's darker in places but funny as well and definately fascinating.

Did you read any of the follow up books to Mr Nice? After i read it i wanted to read the others but was told that the story had pretty much been told and the others weren't really needed?

I've read Senor Nice and the Howard Marks Book of Dope Stories, which were ok but a wee bit disappointing after Mr Nice. However I have always wanted to see his one man show, and found out that he is appearing at the Pleasance Theatre on the 21st October, hopefully I can get tickets. :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
02-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Have you read Fever Pitch? Essential for any football fan.

Just had a scan through my e-reader library - not many jump out as being light-hearted, but these three fit the bill and come with the nonshinyfinish stamp of approval:

Our Man In Havana - Graham Greene
A Tramp Abroad - Mark Twain
A Sentimental Journey - Laurence Sterne

Best of all, you can download the last two for free here: http://www.gutenberg.org/

Marabou Stork
04-09-2011, 08:00 AM
You should give 'marching powder' a read as well then.Also about an english drug trafficker, it's darker in places but funny as well and definately fascinating.Did you read any of the follow up books to Mr Nice? After i read it i wanted to read the others but was told that the story had pretty much been told and the others weren't really needed? Give 'Shantaram' a go if you liked 'Mr nice' and 'marching powder'. Apart from a little bit of irritating pseudo-philosophy, it's a better written book than either of the other two and the story is just remarkable.

Mibbes Aye
05-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Jerome K. Jerome "Three Men in a Boat"
Voltaire "Candide"

Both very enjoyable light reads :aok:

stoneyburn hibs
05-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Have you read Fever Pitch? Essential for any football fan.

Just had a scan through my e-reader library - not many jump out as being light-hearted, but these three fit the bill and come with the nonshinyfinish stamp of approval:

Our Man In Havana - Graham Greene
A Tramp Abroad - Mark Twain
A Sentimental Journey - Laurence Sterne

Best of all, you can download the last two for free here: http://www.gutenberg.org/

Good shout on the freebies nonshiny :aok:

Hibrandenburg
07-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, I've been busy downloading. Started of with Franky Boyle's book, whilst the material is quite funny I find it's all chained together like an endless series of one liners making it quite a laborious read. After reading the intros to the other books I'm quite excited about getting round to reading them. Thanks again!

Jim44
08-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Try anything by Christopher Brookmyre (St Mirren supporter, but we can forgive him). His first book, Quite Ugly One Morning was adapted for TV with James Nesbitt a while back. Dark humour and very funny, like all the others.

cocopops1875
08-09-2011, 12:55 PM
The ossians by Doug Johnston love it

Calvin
08-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Voltaire "Candide"

Both very enjoyable light reads :aok:

I like Voltaire, mainly because he likes the Scots. I'll have to give it a read.

The ossians by Doug Johnston love it

I heard him speaking and playing one of his songs on the radio the other week and was pretty impressed. Will have to have a shot of reading one of his books.

I've just been reading The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry and Margrave of the Marshes, John Peel's half-biography. Enjoyed the former more, an easy read but very interesting too.

matty_f
08-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Try anything by Christopher Brookmyre (St Mirren supporter, but we can forgive him). His first book, Quite Ugly One Morning was adapted for TV with James Nesbitt a while back. Dark humour and very funny, like all the others.

I'll second this, Brookmyre is fantastic.:thumbsup:

Hibrandenburg
08-09-2011, 11:01 PM

Read all his books already so I can confirm your tip is first class. :-)

jabis
10-09-2011, 04:17 PM
terry pratchet,bill bryson,david niven............but i hear you're still struggling with "bob the builder" :agree:

degenerated
19-09-2011, 10:26 PM
i've just finished reading "Alphaville: New York 1988, welcome to heroin city" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alphaville-York-1988-Welcome-Heroin/dp/0330533630/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316470466&sr=1-2) although not sure its available on kindle yet. I had to buy it at the airport as just before boarding a 5 hour flight when i discovered my kindles screen was goosed and just grabbed the first book i saw. Thankfully it turned out an excellent read and painted a harrowing picture of the lower east side of manhattan. In a similar vein is Homicide by David Simon, who went on to write the classic tv series the wire, which is another superb read.

H18SScottW
19-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Please give anything written by Magnus Mills a try. Highly individual, strange, funny and really enthralling.

Hibrandenburg
20-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Just started Mr Nice. So far so good, would appear to be just the sort of read I enjoy. Thanks for the tips guys :-)

HH81
20-09-2011, 07:13 AM
I had a chat to Howard Marks in W H Smith's in Halifax a few years ago. Few lads got their books signed.

Seemed a nice chap.

Mixu62
20-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Recently read "The Hacienda - how not to run a club" by New Order bassist Peter Hook. Pretty good for a light read.

Twa Cairpets
20-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Read all his books already so I can confirm your tip is first class. :-)

Although that said, and as a huge fan of Brookmyre (Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks is one of my favourite ever books), I've just finished "Where the bodies are buried" and found it distinctly average in comparison to his other books. It felt like it was being written for a TV adaptation.

If you want weird but funny, "Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse" (Robert Rankin) is great fun.

Finally, on threads like this, I always have to recommend the Flashman books by George Macdonald Fraser, my absolute favourite books, read, listened to on audio and re-read many times.

Lucius Apuleius
21-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Cannae beat Dickens. And most of them are free to download now as well. Bonus!!!

.Sean.
21-09-2011, 07:28 PM
The Great Gatsby.