PDA

View Full Version : Best pizza in Edinburgh?

calumhibee1
25-08-2011, 08:04 PM
What's everyones favourite pizza in Edinburgh?

pacorosssco
26-08-2011, 07:39 AM
What's everyones favourite pizza in Edinburgh?

Place on Leith walk. best keebab hoose? other than that dominos

Antifa Hibs
26-08-2011, 10:38 AM
La Favorita. Only when the coupon comes up though as its aboot 15 quid :greengrin

pacorosssco - Best Kebabs tatties though :not worth

Houchy
26-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Depends on what kind of Pizza you're talking about. If it's one of your deep pan, americanised ones then yes,Dominoes or one of the above will meet your carb fix, but for me, it would have to be the Italian restaurant on Leith Walk which was owned by the same people as the Caprice in Musselburgh (it may also be called the Caprice??). Real Italian stone baked pizza perfection.:agree:

lyonhibs
26-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Depends on what kind of Pizza you're talking about. If it's one of your deep pan, americanised ones then yes,Dominoes or one of the above will meet your carb fix, but for me, it would have to be the Italian restaurant on Leith Walk which was owned by the same people as the Caprice in Musselburgh (it may also be called the Caprice??). Real Italian stone baked pizza perfection.:agree: As far as Im aware, unless you're in Chicago, the latter is THE only acceptable definition of pizza. For that, either Vitoria's or La Favorita for me.

Jack
26-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I knew someone would mention La Favorita. IMO its just as bad as most others in Edinburgh where they put as little filling on as they think they can get away with and charge as much as they think they can get away with. .All round poor show from Edinburghs pizza makers. Thank goodness there isn't an Edinburghpizza.net

Antifa Hibs
26-08-2011, 06:55 PM
I knew someone would mention La Favorita. IMO its just as bad as most others in Edinburgh where they put as little filling on as they think they can get away with and charge as much as they think they can get away with. .All round poor show from Edinburghs pizza makers. Thank goodness there isn't an Edinburghpizza.net

You had pizza in Italy m8? :greengrin

Thin base, fresh tomato sauce and a handful of mozzarella. If your lucky you might get a few olives or anchovies to go with your olive oil and black pepper. You don't get stuffed crust deep pan quadruple pepporoni or a 10'' donner in Milano or Rome :greengrin

La Favorita is defo a quality over quantity place.

hibeeleicester
26-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Caprice in musselburgh by far :agree:

Westie1875
26-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Can't beat La Favorita or Vittorias IMO.

Pete
27-08-2011, 01:24 AM
Asda chesser.

14" stonebaked with four toppings for £3.18.

Forthview
08-09-2011, 09:36 PM
La Fav leith Walk - Visuvio pizza ticks all boxes, outstanding with a cold beer.:aok:

LancashireHibby
08-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Asda chesser.

14" stonebaked with four toppings for £3.18.

Rip off! 2 of the above for £4 in Asda here!

H18sry
09-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Rip off! 2 of the above for £4 in Asda here!

Aye but delivery to Edinburgh would be dear :greengrin

Liam_Hibs
10-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Corfu Kebab in Penicuik

Peevemor
10-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Corfu Kebab in Penicuik

:rules:

Liam_Hibs
10-09-2011, 10:53 AM
:rules:

On the odd letter I get Edinburgh on my address, so I'm going to count it just this once :wink:

It's a kebab house that sells Pizza also :greengrin

danhibees1875
10-09-2011, 11:01 AM
For value I'd throw The Tron into the mix(pub off the square between nicholson street and Royal Mile)

After 3pm you get pizza and a drink for £5 :agree: Bloody good.

Gatecrasher
16-09-2011, 06:59 PM
i noticed earlier that there is a papa johns at the bottom of leith walk, is that any good?

Jack
16-09-2011, 10:00 PM
i noticed earlier that there is a papa johns at the bottom of leith walk, is that any good? Certainly as good as any of these types of places. You can engage in a bit of blagging too!

HibeeEmma
17-09-2011, 05:08 PM
There's an Italian restaurant called Sambuca -I think in Newington which is meant to be top notch. Never been though

Gatecrasher
17-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Certainly as good as any of these types of places. You can engage in a bit of blagging too!

cheers, might give it a go some day :aok:

HibbyAndy
19-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Dino's in Loanheid.

Was in the other night and he asked me if i wanted my pizza cut into 4 bits or 8, Just said 4 as i didnae hink i could eat 8 bits.

hibsbollah
20-09-2011, 11:05 AM
There's an Italian restaurant called Sambuca -I think in Newington which is meant to be top notch. Never been though

Not up to much at all im afraid. I still like Mamas in the grassmarket, been going there since i was wee.

One Day Soon
03-10-2011, 09:28 PM
I you want real pizza you need to go to the South of Italy. Once you've had that nothing else counts. I believe La Favorita does something half decent, but it still doesn't come close.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Macedonia was magic for pizza when I was there for the Scotland game, probably quite expensive for a delivery though!

sambajustice
03-10-2011, 10:03 PM
I you want real pizza you need to go to the South of Italy. Once you've had that nothing else counts. I believe La Favorita does something half decent, but it still doesn't come close.

How would you know??? :confused:

Sylar
03-10-2011, 10:15 PM
As far as Im aware, unless you're in Chicago, the latter is THE only acceptable definition of pizza. For that, either Vitoria's or La Favorita for me.

Giordanos pizza pie was one of the highlights of a trip to Chicago last year. Not what is traditionally defined as "pizza", but the originators of the pizza pie came from Italian migrants, who based their recipe on their mum's authentic style of pizza from back home.

I'd recommend it to anyone who was going to be in Chicago, but I'm fairly sure I read that they had filed for bankruptcy at the start of this year.

One Day Soon
04-10-2011, 02:29 PM
How would you know??? :confused:

Because while I have not eaten it myself other family members have. They have also eaten proper pizza. Happy?

sambajustice
04-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Because while I have not eaten it myself other family members have. They have also eaten proper pizza. Happy?

LOL, No.

One Day Soon
04-10-2011, 07:53 PM
LOL, No.

Why not? Are you one of these people who when someone says to you "that tastes really disgusting, go on try it" you then pile in to eat it?

sambajustice
04-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Why not? Are you one of these people who when someone says to you "that tastes really disgusting, go on try it" you then pile in to eat it?

do the pizzas in La Favorita taste disgusting??

I was only saying, you were making a sweeping statement about something you havent even tried! Merely asking how would you know for sure it doesnt come close if you've never eaten one! Thats all!

Its a bit like being a Hibs fan, as soon as we sign a player people say "he's pish" without even seeing him play!

One Day Soon
05-10-2011, 07:47 AM
do the pizzas in La Favorita taste disgusting??

I was only saying, you were making a sweeping statement about something you havent even tried! Merely asking how would you know for sure it doesnt come close if you've never eaten one! Thats all!

Its a bit like being a Hibs fan, as soon as we sign a player people say "he's pish" without even seeing him play!

Perhaps I should explain. I have a bit of an obsession with pizza to the extent that Mrs One Day Soon point blank refuses to go to a restaurant with me if I intend to eat one because she says I always complain that it isn't proper pizza. Its true, I do always complain becuase I'm always disappointed by it compared to what is served in the Italian South. So for several years now I haven't ordered pizza here - its just safer.

I don't eat Hibs players. However I can think of one or two that might make better pizzas than players....

Dan Sarf
05-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Perhaps I should explain. I have a bit of an obsession with pizza to the extent that Mrs One Day Soon point blank refuses to go to a restaurant with me if I intend to eat one because she says I always complain that it isn't proper pizza. Its true, I do always complain becuase I'm always disappointed by it compared to what is served in the Italian South. So for several years now I haven't ordered pizza here - its just safer.

I'm the same as you. I once wrote to the MD of Pizza Express having just returned from a holiday in Italy, saying I thought he might intrigued by a culinary discovery I made over there. I told him it had "a big, flat, crispy, oven-baked dough base - they must use some special kind of flour which gives it a wonderful flavour - smeared all over with a fresh tomato paste. In other words, the base is an integral part of the dish, rather than your heavier 'edible plate' concept, and comes with a variety of very basic toppings." But I said the thing I thought might interest him most was the cheese they use. "It’s not the inert, non-stretchy, window putty stuff you’re putting on your 'pizzas'. This cheese is hot and stretchy and tasty and light. And there’s lots of it melting all over the base, not just a few, well-spaced-out little grey lumps just sitting there."

Still waiting for a reply.