PDA

View Full Version : Brown's Distribution Last Night

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2011, 09:14 AM
I thought Brown's willingness to distribute the ball quickly mostly from hand was a refreshing change last night. I know we were given a lot of time as they weren't pressing our back four but it was good to see him eager to throw the ball out quickly instead of the big punt up the middle.

Westie1875
24-08-2011, 09:20 AM
This started the move for Sodje's goal and is something I hope we see a lot more of from our keepers.

Keith_M
24-08-2011, 09:33 AM
One of my complaints at the weekend was that the only thing the GK did was a big punt up to G'OC, so I'm glad they changed this.

I hope it's not just the different GK and that it reverts to the big punt when/if Stack returns.

Stevie Reid
24-08-2011, 09:33 AM
It was notable that St. Mirren were passing the ball out from goal kicks at times at the weekend, following on from Kilmarnock's continued use of this policy last season - though it can put you in trouble at times (a good few times for Killie last season), it is a pretty sound tactic with regards to retaining possession.

Many times last season and often against St. Mirren at the weekend, we totally fell out of the game due to a succession of goal kicks being lost in the air, meaning we lost possession immediately and could develop no pattern to our play - I would like to see throw outs/short passes from the goalkeeper as often as is possible.

Of course, with Brown's kicking not being the best, this was a good tactic to use with him in goal - it may well revert back to normal with Stack.

--------
24-08-2011, 09:37 AM
It was notable that St. Mirren were passing the ball out from goal kicks at times at the weekend, following on from Kilmarnock's continued use of this policy last season - though it can put you in trouble at times (a good few times for Killie last season), it is a pretty sound tactic with regards to retaining possession.

Many times last season and often against St. Mirren at the weekend, we totally fell out of the game due to a succession of goal kicks being lost in the air, meaning we lost possession immediately and could develop no pattern to our play - I would like to see throw outs/short passes from the goalkeeper as often as is possible.

Of course, with Brown's kicking not being the best, this was a good tactic to use with him in goal - it may well revert back to normal with Stack.

Might it have had something to do with the fact that we were playing two strikers last night?

Hopefully we have a full squad for the weekend and Calderwood doesn't revert to hoofball.

And PLEASE let O'Hanlon stay fit - or we sign another experienced CB as well as a RB. Stephens is a total bomb-scare.

Golden Bear
24-08-2011, 10:06 AM
I've always thought that it was an urban myth concerning Brown's alleged poor distribution qualities.

He's a good 'keeper and we're lucky to have him.

Stevie Reid
24-08-2011, 10:08 AM
I've always thought that it was an urban myth concerning Brown's alleged poor distribution qualities.

I like him and I'm also glad that we have him - but his kicking was extremely poor much of the time last season.

lucky
24-08-2011, 11:28 AM
His kicking last was poor too. But he is a decent keeper but Stacks the number 1 for me. Remember last night was against a poor side so there was alot more room for the midfiled and defenders to get the ball.

Duffys13
24-08-2011, 12:47 PM

I do think his kicking is terrible but for me, he should be the first choice goalie.

Franck is God
24-08-2011, 12:55 PM
And PLEASE let O'Hanlon stay fit - or we sign another experienced CB as well as a RB. Stephens is a total bomb-scare.

I hope O'Hanlon stays fit too but thats nothing to do with Stephens only that we have a lack of overall experience in our back four right now.

Stephens has been excellent in the majority of games he has played for the first team and considering he only turned 20 a few weeks ago and has played a grand total of 14 times for us, many of those games in a defence who's average age is under 21 I think he's doing pretty well.

We are all entitled to our opinion but labeling a young footballer as a bombscare after so few games simply isn't fair.

Franck is God
24-08-2011, 01:01 PM
I thought Brown's willingness to distribute the ball quickly mostly from hand was a refreshing change last night. I know we were given a lot of time as they weren't pressing our back four but it was good to see him eager to throw the ball out quickly instead of the big punt up the middle.

A few of the main differences last night was having the whole back four eager to take the ball to feet then being able to turn and not see Ian Murray 'standing still' only ten yards away....

If the midfield sits on top of the defence which both Murray and a lesser extent Osbourne did on Saturday then the ball has to go long. At times the gap between defence and attack was ridiculous and made it easy for St Mirren to dictate possession and the pace of play.

Last night Pallson and Scott never stopped moving which meant there was always a pass or a switch of play available, that also had the added benefit of moving the Berwick defence around leaving loads of gaps which we took advantage of really well.