PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Leigh griffiths

Leitherhibs
21-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Heard from a moderately reliable source earlier this evening that wolves are sending him to us on loan or the season as his first team opportunities are likely to be very limited again this season. I know it would seem unlikely given the number if forward players we have however I think this may be a starter.

stevensons-fan
21-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Really hope this is true, I think Leigh would give us another great option upfront. Still extremely concerned we have no RB signed yet though...

Franck Stanton
21-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Poster over on Bounce saying the same, seems Airey injured and will be out for month at least, rumour mill saying he is away back to Newcastle to recuperate, is unhappy and doesn't want to come back. Dont know if any truth in the "doesn't want to come back " bit, but CC confirmed he is back at Newcastle, in view of this a loan deal for Griffiths would seem sensible move.

JustSimplyHibs
21-08-2011, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=Leitherhibs;2894472]Heard from a moderately reliable source earlier this evening that wolves are sending him to us on loan or the season as his first team opportunities are likely to be very limited again this season. I know it would seem unlikely given the number if forward players we have however I think this may be a starter

Don't think it matters the number of forward players - players should be able to play a number of posistions.

Looks like Calderwood is going to go for a so called 4231, (4 forward players) Leigh Griffiths can play in any of those 4 forward positions, like Agogo, Airey, Sproule can play wide right as can Wotherspoon. O'Conner can play 1 the forward posistion. First these players need to get match fit before it can happen.

If i was calderwood playing his formation ad have Stack in goals, 4 defenders Booth (LB) Hanlon/O'hanlon (CB) (RB) Midfield Ozzy Thornhill, Attack 3 Airey Agogo, Wotherspoon, Forward GOC

Subs Brown, Murray, Sproule, Stevenson,

We aint got alot of forward players :thumbsup:

Prawn Sandwich
22-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Calderwood will have play at right back.....:rolleyes:

soproni1
22-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Calderwood will have play at right back.....:rolleyes:

Might do a better job there than on the bench..........

1875er
22-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Heard this same rumour yesterday....

spike220
22-08-2011, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=Leitherhibs;2894472]Heard from a moderately reliable source earlier this evening that wolves are sending him to us on loan or the season as his first team opportunities are likely to be very limited again this season. I know it would seem unlikely given the number if forward players we have however I think this may be a starter

Don't think it matters the number of forward players - players should be able to play a number of posistions.

Looks like Calderwood is going to go for a so called 4231, (4 forward players) Leigh Griffiths can play in any of those 4 forward positions, like Agogo, Airey, Sproule can play wide right as can Wotherspoon. O'Conner can play 1 the forward posistion. First these players need to get match fit before it can happen.

If i was calderwood playing his formation ad have Stack in goals, 4 defenders Booth (LB) Hanlon/O'hanlon (CB) (RB) Midfield Ozzy Thornhill, Attack 3 Airey Agogo, Wotherspoon, Forward GOC

Subs Brown, Murray, Sproule, Stevenson,

We aint got alot of forward players :thumbsup:

I have been saying for a while now that 4231 is the way we are going (and it will take time) funnily enough I picked similiar team & formation to you on another thread:

I think what we are trying to achieve in the long term is more like a 4–2–3–1 formation, which will (when working) stop people running at out LB, RB & CB. I also think we are one or two players short to pull this off just yet, but i'd be willing to wait to see if we can get it working. Then we will really have chance of some prolonged success imho.

Id be lloking at something like this:

----------------Stack---------------------

RB------O'Hanlon----Hanlon-----Booth

---Palsson----------Wotherspoon------

Thornhill-------Ozzie----------Ivan

---------------GOC-----------------

Note the only position we are missing is the RB, it looks as though Palsson is being asked to do the role wihich is robbing us of a good DM and providing only a stop-gap at RB. AM and CF are interchangable with this formation and depending on the opposition etc.

So I think CC hasnt quite got what he needs just yet, but we are getting there, a new team, with a new system and a new formation, give it another 10 games folks and then we will know where we are.

GGTTH

Albion Hibs
22-08-2011, 08:09 AM
[QUOTE=JustSimplyHibs;2894504]

I have been saying for a while now that 4231 is the way we are going (and it will take time) funnily enough I picked an identical team to you and formation to you on another thread. 4231 is hard to get right but very effective when you get the system going, I'd happily sacrafice a fair few games to put this in place.

GGTTH

Heard the same rumour the other day at the same time as I heard about Airey heading back down the road, shame he is unlikely to get a chance to play for us as I would have liked to have seen him, but if we can get LG on loan I would be pretty happy, especially if he is any good from set pieces.

It looks like 4231 is what we have been playing since the start of the season so he could no doubt slot into that pretty well.

Diclonius
22-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Any update?

Leitherhibs
22-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Any update?

Havent heard anything more myself, think if it does happen it would be sooner rather than later though given we've just over a week till window shuts, heres hoping.

BigBamba
22-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Havent heard anything more myself, think if it does happen it would be sooner rather than later though given we've just over a week till window shuts, heres hoping.

I don't normally post on rumours etc, but a friend of mine was with Leigh Griffiths at the weekend and Leigh was saying how it was a done deal, not sure why it's taking so long to be confirmed, but from what I hear he is defo signing! :agree:

GGTTH

Love the Green
22-08-2011, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=JustSimplyHibs;2894504]

I have been saying for a while now that 4231 is the way we are going (and it will take time) funnily enough I picked similiar team & formation to you on another thread:

I think what we are trying to achieve in the long term is more like a 4–2–3–1 formation, which will (when working) stop people running at out LB, RB & CB. I also think we are one or two players short to pull this off just yet, but i'd be willing to wait to see if we can get it working. Then we will really have chance of some prolonged success imho.

Id be lloking at something like this:

----------------Stack---------------------

RB------O'Hanlon----Hanlon-----Booth

---Palsson----------Wotherspoon------

Thornhill-------Ozzie----------Ivan

---------------GOC-----------------

Note the only position we are missing is the RB, it looks as though Palsson is being asked to do the role wihich is robbing us of a good DM and providing only a stop-gap at RB. AM and CF are interchangable with this formation and depending on the opposition etc.

So I think CC hasnt quite got what he needs just yet, but we are getting there, a new team, with a new system and a new formation, give it another 10 games folks and then we will know where we are.

Is trhis a wind up the 2 highlighted were pathetic on saturday especially thornhill who should be nowhere near a football stadium, slow lazy and never in th game'

"keep the faith" GGTTH

kkk

Pedantic_Hibee
22-08-2011, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=spike220;2894607]

kkk

What would they want with a couple of caucasians like Thornhill and Wotherspoon? :confused:

sunshine1875
22-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Really hope this is true, I think Leigh would give us another great option upfront. Still extremely concerned we have no RB signed yet though...

Why? What is it with this Griffths love-in?

Here is a player that I have never seen play, have no idea what his goal record is but don't recall it being that great in the Scottish First Division (I just checked 21 goals in 47 games looks ok, but it is the Scottish First Division). He has gone to an English Premier League team, and is now possibly being sent out on loan.

So why should I get excited. Could someone explain it to me, preferably someone who has seen him play football at a good level.

Would prefer a creative midfielder or a couple of defenders!

Leitherhibs
22-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Seen him play a few times mostly in the infancy of his career where he had the ability to drop off and brings others into the game and has a cracking set piece and although his goalscoring record doesn't get you foaming at the mouth he scores goals. A more exciting prospect than airey who scored a few goals in a reserve league and who I doubt many on here had seen him play/heard of him pre being linked with us. And he's a fan into the mix, which whether you think so or not does add a little something, look at Garry and ivans commitment these last few weeks.

CallumHibs07
22-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Why are we signing another striker? :confused:

CC has just brought 2 more in, does he not know we need to improve the defence instead?

scoopyboy
23-08-2011, 05:23 AM

CC has just brought 2 more in, does he not know we need to improve the defence instead?

Possibly because if you take away GOC's goals nobody else has scored.

Possibly because the two he has brought in haven't started a game and one is out for four weeks, if indeed he comes back.

Thecat23
23-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Here is a player that I have never seen play, have no idea what his goal record is but don't recall it being that great in the Scottish First Division (I just checked 21 goals in 47 games looks ok, but it is the Scottish First Division). He has gone to an English Premier League team, and is now possibly being sent out on loan.

So why should I get excited. Could someone explain it to me, preferably someone who has seen him play football at a good level.

Leigh is quick, got a great touch and can finish. I honestly have no idea who you would like to see come in but he fits the bill nicely. 21 goals in 47 games is good at any level. You can only score against the team in front of you so why not give the lad a break.

JimBHibees
23-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Can you really criticise him if you havent seen him play. :confused:

He would score goals for Hibs no doubt, might pick up a few red cards as well though. Him and Ivan could have a competition to see who was going to kick off first. :greengrin

truehibernian
23-08-2011, 08:25 AM
None of us had heard of Russell Latapy, and at the time, more than a few fans questioned bringing in a midfielder from the football powerhouse that was/is Trinidad & Tobago albeit his CV looked okay.

Leigh is quick, shoots on sight and is also a pest, much like little Dickov. Exactly the kind of foil GOC and Agogo need. Can also drop a wee bit deeper and play off the main striker, where Thornhill has been playing.

IWasThere2016
23-08-2011, 08:33 AM

He can play wide also :wink:

PeterboroHibee
23-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Ive heard hes 'definitely signing' for a number of clubs over the last couple of weeks so until its official Im not sure I believe it.

Not sure its really priority though, unless Airey genuinely doesnt want to come back I think another striker is totally unnecessary. We are a bit short at the moment waiting for the likes of Agogo and Sodje to get fully fit but once they are, along with Crawford and Caldwell, we do have options.

Think the defence should be the main concern given how poor we are at the back, and if we are looking at attacking options, that really worries me.

Last Minute
23-08-2011, 10:09 AM
In today's Evening news saying they understand a loan deal is far from being Completed.

RoxburghHibs
23-08-2011, 10:13 AM
In today's Evening news saying they understand a loan deal is far from being Completed.

"a loan deal IS far from being completed" or should that read "is not far"?

smurf
23-08-2011, 10:15 AM
No disrespect but what does the Evening News know?

They will report what the club tells them to!

Dashing Bob S
23-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Having never seen Leigh Griffiths play I nonetheless feel fully qualified to give an opinion on him. In fact I'm giving two.

a) great signing
b) not Hibs class

It would be great if we could get the Leigh Griffiths blog back though.

GloryGlory
23-08-2011, 02:56 PM
No disrespect but what does the Evening News know?

They will report what the club tells them to!

Disinformation from Hibs to lull the Yams into a false sense of security for Sunday. :greengrin

sunshine1875
23-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Can you really criticise him if you havent seen him play. :confused:

He would score goals for Hibs no doubt, might pick up a few red cards as well though. Him and Ivan could have a competition to see who was going to kick off first. :greengrin

Where in my post did I criticise him. I said that I did not understand the Griffiths love-in having never seen him play.

:confused: yourself!

Jim44
23-08-2011, 04:24 PM

........................................ his goal record is but don't recall it being that great in the Scottish First Division (I just checked 21 goals in 47 games looks ok, but it is the Scottish First Division)

Stephen Dobbie :dunno:

basehibby
23-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Having never seen Leigh Griffiths play I nonetheless feel fully qualified to give an opinion on him. In fact I'm giving two.

a) great signing
b) not Hibs class

It would be great if we could get the Leigh Griffiths blog back though.

:agree: Absolutely! Why did he knock it on the head anyway? Have they not got internet access down in the Black Country :confused:

Thomson
23-08-2011, 06:06 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11699_7120232,00.html

A (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11699_7120232,00.html)berdeen Sniffing about too it would seem!!!

R'Albin
23-08-2011, 06:08 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11699_7120232,00.html

A (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11699_7120232,00.html)berdeen Sniffing about too it would seem!!!

I'm sure I remember seeing in the paper that Brown wasn't going to sign him for one reason or another..?

Winston Ingram
23-08-2011, 07:19 PM
he's on the bench for Wolves tonight:agree:

AlbertK86
23-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Radio Scotland said earlier that McCarthy would rather he went out on loan in England and that Evening News seemingly saying no truth in the rumours of an approach having been made.

Mind you it aint involving the OF so they won't really be bothered and probably have no idea what is really going on

The Falcon
23-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Griffiths on for last ten minutes for Wolves. Is that him cup tied?

Pedantic_Hibee
23-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Griffiths on for last ten minutes for Wolves. Is that him cup tied?

Yes, yes it is.

We were never going to win the Carling Cup anyway...............

The Falcon
23-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Yes, yes it is.

We were never going to win the Carling Cup anyway...............

:greengrin

Does it not mean he cant play in the corresponding tournament here though.

Pedantic_Hibee
23-08-2011, 09:16 PM
:greengrin

Does it not mean he cant play in the corresponding tournament here though.

Nah, he'll be fine to turn out for us; not that he's needed mind you, what with GOC and Sodje set to score 834 goals between them this season :agree: