PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood shaking hands with every Hibs player at full time

KiddA
21-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Talking to my old man today and he said he could not understand why CC shook every Hibs players hand at full time after another show. He said if that was Eddie Turnbull back in the day he would be putting a rocket up there and I have to agree. He clearly has no emotion this guy and won't raise his voice in anyway to get some kind of reaction from his players.

I don't blame Murray for dodging CC at full time I would have done the same. My old man sits a few rows behind the dugout and also said there were fans getting pulled back by stewards trying to get to CC to give him abuse.

Very worrying times down Easter Road at the moment :rolleyes:

jonty
21-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Murray states in this article that CC doesn't need to raise his voice in order to get his point across.
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hibs-Meet-the-man-behind.6822090.jp

[The Hibs skipper said: "People might have got the wrong perception of the manager as he tends not to give much away but he tells you the truth.

"He's not scared to tell you when he is not happy. You don't get to where he has been as a manager and coach without having a little bit of a ruthless streak.

"Don't think he is a soft touch because he doesn't shout or go crazy - far from it. It doesn't mean he isn't a tough guy. He certainly lets you know."

Jim44
21-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Talking to my old man today and he said he could not understand why CC shook every Hibs players hand at full time after another show. He said if that was Eddie Turnbull back in the day he would be putting a rocket up there s and I have to agree. He clearly has no emotion this guy and won't raise his voice in anyway to get some kind of reaction from his players.

I don't blame Murray for dodging CC at full time I would have done the same. My old man sits a few rows behind the dugout and also said there were fans getting pulled back by stewards trying to get to CC to give him abuse.

Very worrying times down Easter Road at the moment :rolleyes:

He's the most insipid, emotionless and uninteresting character to hold the manager's job that I can remember. Sometimes I just want to take him by the shoulders and shake some sort of animated response out of him.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I can see why it would wind fans up, but on the flip side, I tend to like his apparent emotionless persona. And who's to say it isn't a better approach than Yogi's "am gonnae kick **** out of the dugout for 90 minutes" approach?

If I was a footballer, I'd probably respond better, and work harder and have more freedom in my play, with a manager who spoke to me as opposed to one who barracked, b0llocked and instilled fear into me after a defeat. The confidence to try something new, take a risk, be adventurous in your play and perform naturally wouldn't come as freely if you were too scared to be anything other than a robotic footballer who played safe every time.

Kenny Dalglish used to speak to his players after a rank bad performance and tell them "It's not your fault, it's my fault for picking you". That, that right there, would make me wish I could run out on the pitch and play another 90 minutes straight away to prove him wrong rather than a manager grabbing me by the scruff of the neck and threatening to lamp me for a misplaced pass in the 47th minute.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Added to this, some are under the impression he's coming across as dull, disengaged and disinterested in his interviews. Cast your mind back to his opening interview on Sky Sports the day he got the job and he spoke the exact same way.

It's not that he's lost interest in Hibs or couldn't care less, he's always had that pragmatic, deliberated and considered approach to his work. One man's dull, disinterested and boring is another man's considered, methodical and unfazed.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-08-2011, 09:03 PM
He's the most insipid, emotionless and uninteresting character to hold the manager's job that I can remember. Sometimes I just want to take him by the shoulders and shake some sort of animated response out of him.

"If..."

Apparently a popular poem by some bloke who's brother made a decent cake :)

Time will tell it's certainly far from inspiring at the moment but perhaps a cool head who knows what needs to be done and executes is what's required. It's over to CC if permitted to show he's got what it takes.
I'm standing firm for now but as said earlier it's getting harder to keep on backing the man. Maybe too hopeful he'll breakon through to the otherside and put this all behind us. For now I'm backing him to see us through and ride it out.
To a certain extent the board have nailed their colours to the mast but there will come a time if he's not able to carry enough along with him that they'll have a decision to make.
I just dont see that going back to the drawing board is an option who would take on the job ? Ffs Tango man better get a job soon!

KiddA
21-08-2011, 09:04 PM
I can see why it would wind fans up, but on the flip side, I tend to like his apparent emotionless persona. And who's to say it isn't a better approach than Yogi's "am gonnae kick **** out of the dugout for 90 minutes" approach?

If I was a footballer, I'd probably respond better, and work harder and have more freedom in my play, with a manager who spoke to me as opposed to one who barracked, b0llocked and instilled fear into me after a defeat. The confidence to try something new, take a risk, be adventurous in your play and perform naturally wouldn't come as freely if you were too scared to be anything other than a robotic footballer who played safe every time.

Kenny Dalglish used to speak to his players after a rank bad performance and tell them "It's not your fault, it's my fault for picking you". That, that right there, would make me wish I could run out on the pitch and play another 90 minutes straight away to prove him wrong rather than a manager grabbing me by the scruff of the neck and threatening to lamp me for a misplaced pass in the 47th minute.

I agree with you but whatever he is doing at the moment is not working and shaking there hands at full time is a strange one considering how bad they were yesterday. To me they clearly need a something to get them going.

Jamesie
21-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Watching the dugouts from the East Stand yesterday, it was evident that Danny Lennon was kicking every ball with his team. Calderwood, on the other hand, was rarely on his feet.

Jonnyboy
21-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Watching the dugouts from the East Stand yesterday, it was evident that Danny Lennon was kicking every ball with his team. Calderwood, on the other hand, was rarely on his feet.

I thought he stood for most of the game J. He tends to stand on the edge of the technical area, has little or no communication with his coaches and prefers instead to write notes on a wee pad :confused:

greenlex
21-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Whats your point. Yogi kicked every ball. Then the dugout and I am sure the dug got it when he went home.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Reverse psychology?
Tefal-heid folk ken what's goin' oan

lyonhibs
21-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Is the fact that he's not leaping about like a madman a la Yogi necessarily a bad thing?

Things are in a sorry state at ER, but the fact that CC doesn't act like a jack-in-a-box on the touchline is the least of our worries.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-08-2011, 09:12 PM
I thought he stood for most of the game J. He tends to stand on the edge of the technical area, has little or no communication with his coaches and prefers instead to write notes on a wee pad :confused:

Sounds like I'm on a one-man crusade to defend CC tonight but I have to say I like the fact he does that :greengrin

Rather than shrink into the corner of the dugout or hide under a brolly, he stands as close to the pitch as permitted and faces the play and doesn't shirk from the spotlight during a game; he takes it in, quiet and composed. Granted, it would look more impressive if there were signs of progression either during the game or in the next one but I like his methodical approach. It needs backed up with results/better performances however.

Jonnyboy
21-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Sounds like I'm on a one-man crusade to defend CC tonight but I have to say I like the fact he does that :greengrin

Rather than shrink into the corner of the dugout or hide under a brolly, he stands as close to the pitch as permitted and faces the play and doesn't shirk from the spotlight during a game; he takes it in, quiet and composed. Granted, it would look more impressive if there were signs of progression either during the game or in the next one but I like his methodical approach. It needs backed up with results/better performances however.

Tam McCourt stands facing the pitch too :greengrin

It was the alarming lack of a plan b that clinched it for me.

steakbake
21-08-2011, 09:19 PM
He stands on the edge of the box all game.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-08-2011, 09:20 PM

I think we need to perfect a Plan A first before we can start making contingency plans, my good man :greengrin

matty_f
21-08-2011, 09:21 PM

He was stood for most of it, you're right. He had the occasional conflab with Alistair Stevenson and that was it. He was giving directions and encouragement regularly.

hibeeleicester
21-08-2011, 09:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RNsXqNiTCM

Short interview with CC, doesnt look interested with Forest either. :wink:

iwasthere1972
21-08-2011, 09:32 PM
CC shook every Hibs players hand at full time

With a bit of luck he was saying his final farewells to the players. If he stays at Hibs for much longer he'll be able to shake hands with all our supporters as well.

Scouse Hibee
21-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Get yersel some bino's he was standing in the tech area for most of the game :agree: :greengrin

R'Albin
21-08-2011, 09:45 PM

:agree:

Okay I appreciate that what I am speaking about is a whole lot different from pro football, but in our u16's team we have got a new coach who is a bit like CC, and our old coach was a wee bit Yogi esque and I have actually noticed how much more freedom our players are playing with than when we had our old coach who went radge at us if we didn't win, even if we played well.

When players are low on confidence shouting and screaming at them will certainly not help, being constructive, just having a quiet chat with them and giving them advice on how to do better will no doubt be more effective IMO.

Bostonhibby
21-08-2011, 10:19 PM

It's what all big club tactical geniuses do Jonny. Me and my mate were at a Lincoln - v - Boston Derby match in the 2nd division quite a few seasons back and we were right behind the Boston bench, you could see through the back of it.

Boston's Assistant Player manager was one Paul Gascoigne. we could see him scribbling away on a pad which he put down near half time, there were an assortment of what looked like matchstick men drawn on it. Obviously had no bearing on the tactics as there were very few thin guys on the field that day. Gazza did come on tho, and scored a cracking free kick :wink:

Twiglet
21-08-2011, 10:31 PM
As others said, he was standing with his wee notebook in his hand for most of the match.

He's got a brilliant poker face, I could see at moments he was not impressed, but that was quickly covered up.

He doesn't make much noise compared to Yogi, a lot of the signals he gives are hand signals or by calling players over. When he does shout it makes me think he is getting annoyed with the players. I think yesterdays turnaround was so quick he didn't have time to shout, he just seemed to go to quiet seething.

davemcbain
22-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Talking to my old man today and he said he could not understand why CC shook every Hibs players hand at full time after another sh## show.

Wonder how many of them got the black spot?

joe breezy
22-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Good shout, if my boss shouted at me at work I'd tell him to shove it and I'd move elsewhere quite quickly, there's better ways to motivate.

Football is a bit different though as winning requires 90 minutes of absolute dedication

Speedway
22-08-2011, 08:16 AM
The ultimate overiding factor here is that if the results were favourable, no-one would care if CC even wore clothes in the technical area.

Also the alzheimers appears to be kicking in, as we called out for a discreet professional manager after Bravefart was punted.

With regard to a plan B, no Hibs manager in my lifetime has had a plan B. They've had a plan A which when that hasn't worked, have chosen to do anything that might help, but it certainly wasn't planned.

Only when the players abandoned what they were asked to do did Saturday go wrong. There was nothing wrong with plan A.

The only question in my mind is how you get players who don't care, to care.

Watch O'Hanlon in the Celtic game again. He's never played at a high level but he's got professional pride written all over his performance.

That's what CC has to sign, it must be tough to find.

smurf
22-08-2011, 09:00 AM
We all know it isn't 1971, 1981 or even 1991 (Lexo pushing callum milne up the tunnel...) and the days of managing with 'fear' are long gone...

But a manager standing greeting them off the park with a pat on the backside after a well deserved home defeat v St Mirren?

No wonder Ian Murray deliberately avoided him.

Hibs On Tour
22-08-2011, 11:46 AM
With a bit of luck he was saying his final farewells to the players. If he stays at Hibs for much longer he'll be able to shake hands with all our supporters as well.

:agree: :faf:

SquashedFrogg
22-08-2011, 03:46 PM

We need to get Tam back on the pitch at half time with his fork!! Wearing old jeans and skanky trainers and randomly/aimlessly prodding the turf.

That's what this club needs right now....

Bring back the old Tam McCourt! :not worth

Ever since he's had a hair cut and started wearing club colours this team have went down hill fast! :grr:

Petrie, you know what to do :agree: