PDA

View Full Version : Sad to think....

james
21-08-2011, 08:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIUWBWChqS0

t (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIUWBWChqS0)his is what we used to be like :rolleyes::taxi

Where has it gone?

Tricla
21-08-2011, 08:26 PM
It's a right cheery place these days is the old Hibs.net!

Great day though.

The Green Goblin
21-08-2011, 11:24 PM
In a funny kind of way, it really cheered me up watching that. As bad as things are, it was nice to be reminded of good times. I couldn't help feeling a bit sad seeing Collins though. Personally, I thought he was let down when the top brass crumbled like a house of cards after the players revolted, but there you go.

GG

Viva_Palmeiras
21-08-2011, 11:29 PM
In a funny kind of way, it really cheered me up watching that. As bad as things are, it was nice to be reminded of good times. I couldn't help feeling a bit sad seeing Collins though. Personally, I thought he was let down when the top brass crumbled like a house of cards after the players revolted, but there you go.

GG
Boa noite.
Do we actually know what happened that night ? Did he not back jc in the end ? Who started it ? Effing case of bad timing if ever there was one !!!

shamo9
22-08-2011, 05:26 AM
If you pushed me to commit to only one game that still sticks in my craw the most, it would probably be the semi final replay against Dunferlime that year. What pushes it ahead of more high profile games against Livingston and Hearts for me is the fact that we genuinely had a good team. No tinted specs, when you look back at that team it's plain evident that it was capable of quality football. Dunfermline were soon to be relegated pish as well. The better team beat itself.

It's also interesting to note that we only won two games out of twelve in the league from February to the end of the 06/07 season. Further evidence, if any was needed, that supporting Hibs is never an easy ride no matter how good we are.

The Falcon
22-08-2011, 07:11 AM

GG

Not sure you work out how they did GG? The aftermath, with certain players moving on, would suggest they didnt. Even so perhaps the grievance was a genuine one as it involved all but two of the squad.

Cropley10
22-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Not sure you work out how they did GG? The aftermath, with certain players moving on, would suggest they didnt. Even so perhaps the grievance was a genuine one as it involved all but two of the squad.

That's right:agree: Their grievance was they didn't like JC's training methods. And because it involved all but two that makes it genuine.

Fact is the players were entertained by the Chairman at his house, because the players thought JC was too strict. Why the need to have a meeting at the Chairman's residence, why do it when the Manager was abroad?

Unprecedented in modern football I'd suggest and left Collins holed below the waterline.

Hibernian fans I know and talk to recognise it was an extraordinary thing to occur and that the players should have been backed by the Chairman rather than him taking sides with them. You are in a very vocal minority who thinks this was OK.

Hope this clarifies.

The Falcon
22-08-2011, 07:25 AM
That's right:agree: Their grievance was they didn't like JC's training methods. And because it involved all but two that makes it genuine.

Fact is the players were entertained by the Chairman at his house, because the players thought JC was too strict. Why the need to have a meeting at the Chairman's residence, why do it when the Manager was abroad?

Unprecedented in modern football I'd suggest and left Collins holed below the waterline.

Hibernian fans I know and talk to recognise it was an extraordinary thing to occur and that the players should have been backed by the Chairman rather than him taking sides with them. You are in a very vocal minority who thinks this was OK.

Hope this clarifies.

Not true I'm afraid. :wink:

marinello59
22-08-2011, 07:25 AM

Hope this clarifies.

Yeap. It seemed like an error of judgement at the time by Petrie and still does.

The Falcon
22-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Yeap. It seemed like an error of judgement at the time by Petrie and still does.

If you went to your bosses boss with a list of complaints, and it involved practically everyone in the workplace, and you were told to P off what would you then do?

As Cropley10 says, and is correct, it was pretty much an unprecedented incident so everything that was happening was a one off. Perhaps Rod shouldnt have entertained them at his house but apart from that....?

marinello59
22-08-2011, 07:37 AM
If you went to your bosses boss with a list of complaints, and it involved practically everyone in the workplace, and you were told to P off what would you then do?

As Cropley10 says, and is correct, it was pretty much an unprecedented incident so everything that was happening was a one off. Perhaps Rod shouldnt have entertained them at his house but apart from that....?

No perhaps about it IMHO.

The Falcon
22-08-2011, 07:42 AM
No perhaps about it IMHO.

We didnt have East Mains at the time but, as you say, he should, and did, arrange a more formal meeting following which Jones made a statement. However this has been gone over before so there's no point.

Scorrie
22-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Jeezo how fast and far have we plummeted. Not going to get into the JC arguements but still feel sad he left.

Cropley10
22-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Surley it depends what this list of complaints included, how valid or reasonable they were and whether therehad been any breach of contract, or terms of employment? If it 'involved practically everyone' this doesn't make it any more or less valid, it all depends on the first part - just because they ALL didn't like his aftershave or favourite shoes for example.

Thereafter I don't think it was as binary - as see them, at his house, or tell them to P off. Was it a crisis - were employees in danger? Could it have waited? Did they ALL need to be there? He could have, no should have, taken representation from the Captain, listened and deferred any meeting or decision until the working week. A key thing about being a senior manager is to trust your management team and to distance yourself from the operational detail and day-to-day.

Imagine how anyone would feel if they came back from a holiday or absence from the workplace to find that your direct reports had been at the bosses house for a meeting en masse to complain about you.

It was an unprecedented, but entirely avoidable situation. In fact I'd say it was a grave error of judgement and one the Chairman would not make again.

PS - I noted your wink and statement that it wasn't about him being too strict. This implies you know something I don't. I wouldn't say i am 'in the know' - but I do know people on the staff at HFC, who have given me a different PoV in the past.

The Falcon
22-08-2011, 05:58 PM
As usual you put your point really well and I agree with most of what you say. Should Petrie have met with them under the circumstances he did? Probably not. Would he do so again? Definitely not. Was he right to meet with them at all? Had no choice IMO.

When they turned up, on very short notice, I don't believe he could have done things much different and was in a no win situation. However we will have to agree to differ on that one.

The wink was for it is often stated that JC was working the players too hard and the poor wee souls objected to it. Had that been the case I would have joined the (very long) queue to kick their precious ***** all over the field. But, I am told, it wasnt that simple but things seldom are.

JC has many positive attributes that suggest he may at some time make a great football manager but, unfortunately, empathy, humilty and being good with people are not among them. He did have quite a lot on his plate at that time as well which wouldn't have helped and I wish him no ill whatsoever.

Surley it depends what this list of complaints included, how valid or reasonable they were and whether therehad been any breach of contract, or terms of employment? If it 'involved practically everyone' this doesn't make it any more or less valid, it all depends on the first part - just because they ALL didn't like his aftershave or favourite shoes for example.

Thereafter I don't think it was as binary - as see them, at his house, or tell them to P off. Was it a crisis - were employees in danger? Could it have waited? Did they ALL need to be there? He could have, no should have, taken representation from the Captain, listened and deferred any meeting or decision until the working week. A key thing about being a senior manager is to trust your management team and to distance yourself from the operational detail and day-to-day.

Imagine how anyone would feel if they came back from a holiday or absence from the workplace to find that your direct reports had been at the bosses house for a meeting en masse to complain about you.

It was an unprecedented, but entirely avoidable situation. In fact I'd say it was a grave error of judgement and one the Chairman would not make again.

PS - I noted your wink and statement that it wasn't about him being too strict. This implies you know something I don't. I wouldn't say i am 'in the know' - but I do know people on the staff at HFC, who have given me a different PoV in the past.