PDA

View Full Version : Easter Road and a distinct lack of bottle

RIP
21-08-2011, 06:50 PM
When a Hibs player makes a mistake, we give them dogs abuse from the stand. When we go behind, the silence is either deafening or we break out in defining boos break out around the ground. When we go two or more goals behind people are seen sprinting down the steps, heads bowed, trousers soiled.

Our players heids go down, despair seeps in, the good fotball seen in the first 35 minutes evaporates and panic sets in. We turn our rage at the ref, the players start moaning and it all goes tits up.

The players lack bottle and so, sadly at the moment do we.

Do other teams in the bottom six suffer from this behaviour or are their supporters more supportive? However justified our anger, what effect is it currently having on the team's performance?

Cropley10
21-08-2011, 06:57 PM
When a Hibs player makes a mistake, we give them dogs abuse from the stand. When we go behind, the silence is either deafening or we break out in defining boos break out around the ground. When we go two or more goals behind people are seen sprinting down the steps, heads bowed, trousers soiled.

Our players heids go down, despair seeps in, the good fotball seen in the first 35 minutes evaporates and panic sets in. We turn our rage at the ref, the players start moaning and it all goes tits up.

Do other teams in the bottom six suffer from this behaviour or are their supporters more supportive? However justified our anger, what effect is it currently having on the team's performance?

What you have written is not representative of my match day experience.

We are one of the most expensive teams to watch and we've won 6 games at home in 18 months.

No wonder a few folk get upset.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Dare I say could it be our propensity to "bottle it" in the SC is now seeping into the league?
Probably fair to say we both need to grow some.
What happened to the spirit when backs were against the wall and we steered clear of relegation? Players and support pulled together... Makes me wonder shatter there was a financial incentive as is soon faded away. :(
One things for sure once this unfortunate period is over the board needs to ensure we NEVER plumb to the depths again.

The Harp
21-08-2011, 07:03 PM
325 EasterRoad I think you'll find supporters of most clubs who are accustomed to better things (although in our case it seems a long time ago) behave in exactly the same way.

cam75
21-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Sums up the last couple of seasons-Results or lack of passion from the team reflect on us the mere fans and blood of the club have a right to have a say,but would love to see the fans from start to finnish no matter score,back everyone at the club and il wager results will get better the team just now must poo it when the other team score !

hibsbollah
21-08-2011, 07:15 PM
I took a Newcastle fan to the ground yesterday who remarked that the booing was 'bad patter' or something to that effect, but said that its the same at SJP and most other grounds when things are bad. Football fans are a fickle, miserable soorfaced bunch. And being scottish just adds a multiplying effect...

We're no different from any other fans following a struggling team.

BEEJ
21-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Unfortunately, after 18 months or more of disappointment and let down, there is now little expectation or confidence that we can get back into a match once we go behind.

The resultant silence / booing from the stands ends up being self-fulfilling and we're back at groundhog day.

Vicious circle.

Baldy Foghorn
21-08-2011, 07:26 PM
If the players cant show pride or passion, why should the fans be any different?

scoopyboy
21-08-2011, 07:29 PM
If the players cant show pride or passion, why should the fans be any different?

Coz we give a f***, even if some of the players don't appear to.

Baldy Foghorn
21-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Coz we give a f***, even if some of the players don't appear to.

Yes Jock I know, but Easter Road is not a vibrant place to be, and unfortunately fans seem hell bent on in fighting in the Stands, not a great place to be on matchdays anymore

scoopyboy
21-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes Jock I know, but Easter Road is not a vibrant place to be, and unfortunately fans seem hell bent on in fighting in the Stands, not a great place to be on matchdays anymore

No two ways about it mate, but we just have to hang on in there and ride it out.

We will be successful again, don't know when but it will be all the more enjoyable when it does happen.

I wasn't this upbeat last nite though it has to be said.

Baldy Foghorn
21-08-2011, 07:40 PM
No two ways about it mate, but we just have to hang on in there and ride it out.

We will be successful again, don't know when but it will be all the more enjoyable when it does happen.

I wasn't this upbeat last nite though it has to be said.

Fingers crossed.....Last night my girlfriend took my belt and laces off me......I am still not in great spirits today

BEEJ
21-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Fingers crossed.....Last night my girlfriend took my belt and laces off me......I am still not in great spirits today
So she was at the game yesterday as well?

:greengrin

Newhaven
21-08-2011, 07:48 PM

Without having a go at you 325 where has this 'us hibs fans are so different from everyone else' viewpoint come from on hibs.net?

I've worked at old firm games and at some tasty championship derbies plus been a spectator at some massive crunch games and when fans are not getting commitment or controlled aggression from the players they're going to get upset. Were no different from any of them

As the BBC reported 2 weeks ago were paying through the nose for teams like Hamilton, St Mirren and the likes to come to ER and walk away with 3 points fairly easily.

We as fans have the right to be unhappy if were not seeing the results on the pitch. Its up to the team and the manager (who many want out the door) to install some belief and hope to us.

We've stood up and been counted - have they and CC?

Newhaven
21-08-2011, 07:50 PM

Keep going Brockie....more details required

Baldy Foghorn
21-08-2011, 07:51 PM

If only haha.......:faf:

Baldy Foghorn
21-08-2011, 07:53 PM
So she was at the game yesterday as well?

She does not like football, and can't understand why after every match, I come in start crying and lie in darkened room.... She said "you are meant to enjoy the football"....Women eh?

Baldy Foghorn
21-08-2011, 07:55 PM
When she picked me up off bus after Killie last week, she asked score....I said we lost 4-1, to which she replied at least they scored:crazy::spammy:

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Some of the stick wotherspoon took yesterday was scandalous, how is this helping?

BEEJ
21-08-2011, 08:45 PM
When she picked me up off bus after Killie last week, she asked score....I said we lost 4-1, to which she replied at least they scored:crazy::spammy:

That's exactly what my better half would say.

hibsbollah
21-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Some of the stick wotherspoon took yesterday was scandalous, how is this helping? Yep. Man shouts 'wotherspoon yer a wanka' from his safe position up in the east. Still close enough for the boy to hear it though. Not 'youre *****' or get your finger oot, just 'youre a wanka'. Some folk are strange.

renato
21-08-2011, 08:51 PM

If only haha.......:faf:

:slipper:

renato
21-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Without having a go at you 325 where has this 'us hibs fans are so different from everyone else' viewpoint come from on hibs.net?

I've worked at old firm games and at some tasty championship derbies plus been a spectator at some massive crunch games and when fans are not getting commitment or controlled aggression from the players they're going to get upset. Were no different from any of them

As the BBC reported 2 weeks ago were paying through the nose for teams like Hamilton, St Mirren and the likes to come to ER and walk away with 3 points fairly easily.

We as fans have the right to be unhappy if were not seeing the results on the pitch. Its up to the team and the manager (who many want out the door) to install some belief and hope to us.

We've stood up and been counted - have they and CC?

:agree: 100%, especially the bit in bold.

Don't doubt that people at the club desperately want success but it's just that we seem no closer to achieving it, especially on the back of the most disappointing season we've had since the dark old days. At an absolute minimum we should be feeling belief and hope by now, primarily from the team and absolutely from our manager. I just don't, unfortunately.

RIP
21-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm sick fed up with us constantly making excuses for ourselves. Ever since I returned to Edinburgh I've had to sit (now stand) in the East and listen to so called fans screaming abuse at officials, players and managers. The squad and managers change - the abuse gets worse and worse.

The embarassing platitudes get trotted out e.g. "We turn up and pay our money so we can boo if we want"; "We should be top four, in Europe, we are underachieving, we are entitled to scream and shout" (Even though our average SPL league finish is seventh!!)

It's hardly surprising that we have never won the Scottish Cup in 108 years. It's little wonder we are bottom 3. There is a sickening anxiety being constantly fed to the players from the stands. Nervous when one goal up, fearful when the other team attack, players abused 5 minutes into games, boos ringing out when the opposition score. We are a bunch of terrified, stressed out keichbags, afraid of our own shadows. It's hardly surprising the players are powder puff when teams like Hearts and Dundee United have been out-fighting us for decades. They know all they have to do is score one goal and the Hibs fans will get on their players backs. We are the soft touch of the SPL - on and off the park.

This culture of discontent, fear, self-flaggellation and lack of bottle has become the presiding culture here at Easter Road. It's better at away games where our Mental Radges get behind the team a bit more. We are letting the boo boys take over at the Family Home and I personably think that's completely unnacceptable. We wouldnae let a smelly Jambo abuse our team but it's OK that we let a fellow Hibby get away with it just 'cos he pays the gate money.:wtf:

Sorry - that attitude stinks!! We are not "standing up and being counted" by turning up and sitting like cardboard cutouts while others get on the players backs. The last few years has proved that no manager or player has been able to overturn the defeatist mentality at Easter Road. Unless we, the lifeblood of this club, change our attitude, stand shoulder to shoulder and demonstrate a hell of a lot more bottle from the stands, we will continue to reap what we sow

matty_f
21-08-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm sick fed up with us constantly making excuses for ourselves. Ever since I returned to Edinburgh I've had to sit (now stand) in the East and listen to so called fans screaming abuse at officials, players and managers. The squad and managers change - the abuse gets worse and worse.

The embarassing platitudes get trotted out e.g. "We turn up and pay our money so we can boo if we want"; "We should be top four, in Europe, we are underachieving, we are entitled to scream and shout" (Even though our average SPL league finish is seventh!!)

It's hardly surprising that we have never won the Scottish Cup in 108 years. It's little wonder we are bottom 3. There is a sickening anxiety being constantly fed to the players from the stands. Nervous when one goal up, fearful when the other team attack, players abused 5 minutes into games, boos ringing out when the opposition score. We are a bunch of terrified, stressed out keichbags, afraid of our own shadows. It's hardly surprising the players are powder puff when teams like Hearts and Dundee United have been out-fighting us for decades. They know all they have to do is score one goal and the Hibs fans will get on their players backs. We are the soft touch of the SPL - on and off the park.

This culture of discontent, fear, self-flaggellation and lack of bottle has become the presiding culture here at Easter Road. It's better at away games where our Mental Radges get behind the team a bit more. We are letting the boo boys take over at the Family Home and I personably think that's completely unnacceptable. We wouldnae let a smelly Jambo abuse our team but it's OK that we let a fellow Hibby get away with it just 'cos he pays the gate money.:wtf:

Sorry - that attitude stinks!! The last few years has proved that no manager or player has been able to overturn this defeatist mentality. Unless we, the lifeblood of this club, show a hell of a lot more bottle from the stands, we will continue to reap what we sow

We're in danger of turning into Aberdeen. They're fans hate their team, and it feels at the moment like a lot of Hibs fans hate the team. The abuse was never this bad when I started going, and that was in the Miller years. Even under Duffy I don't remember it being like this.

We do lack bottle. The last time I really sensed that the fans and players were in it together was when we beat St Mirren pre-split last season (when we hadn't scored for ages). The support that night were different class. Behind the team from first whistle til last, roaring the team forward and going mental when we scored.

You rarely see a player getting roared on when they're rattling into a tackle, the crowd are pedestrian and so are the players. Ironically, the game I referred to above had Palsson making a few hefty challenges with the whole Hibs support roaring him on. Yesterday, a goal down, every time we got on the ball in the second half, needing to push forward and chase a goal, the players were met with a wall of silence from the crowd. Sometimes the players need to lift the crowd, sometimes the crowd needs to lift the players.

We seem to be in a position where neither the players nor the crowd can be arsed lifting one another, and that's how days like yesterday happen.

Kato
21-08-2011, 10:56 PM

Sorry - that attitude stinks!! We are not "standing up and being counted" by turning up and sitting like cardboard cutouts while others get on the players backs. The last few years has proved that no manager or player has been able to overturn the defeatist mentality at Easter Road. Unless we, the lifeblood of this club, change our attitude, stand shoulder to shoulder and demonstrate a hell of a lot more bottle from the stands, we will continue to reap what we sow

Agree.

The "treatment" given out to some Hibs players in recent years has been really poor, and it's getting worse. Happened in the late 70's as well.

If the players hear their fans get on their backs, it doesn't help them play better. There are reasons it's happening of course, but there's no excuse.

Loopz
21-08-2011, 11:46 PM

What do we sow buying our season / matchday tickets at ER

1. The chance to develope at an excellent purpose built training facility
2. Good wages and working conditions (By my shift working standards anyway)
3. One of the best football grounds in Scotland to show case their talents

Why then did I come away from Saturdays game feeling cheated for the money I had paid. I went to the game against St Mirren not believing that we would win but hoping that I would see players that I believe are better quality than their opponents start to show signs of improvement as a team. Whilst I would never condone personal upclose abuse of a Hibs player, you can understand fans frustrations. I just want to grab DW by the scruff of the neck and say you know you are a better player than that so why don't you show it. I do not believe it is the fans fault, if we sing and cheer when we are 1-2 down do I think that DW and Danny G will suddenly up their game, I wish I believe that would be true but I don't. Not abdicating responsibility but I do believe the solution is in good management / directorship / ownership / stakeholder (Fans), in that order. We know we need more players but I'm not sure it's going to happen. Do I believe the man with the most power to change this CC want's to lead us, I'm not sure.

EasterRoad4Ever
22-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Some of the stick wotherspoon took yesterday was scandalous, how is this helping?

Sadly, recent Hibs teams have been so bereft of talent, fight, guts and guile that they are incapable of responding to any support from the terraces. This has been proven on many ocassions over the last 2 years - the fans try to get behind the team, and the team just f*** it up. As a result many fans have just given up supporting this bunch of losers, and find it easier and more appropriate to berate and boo them instead.

One classic example is Nish. If you recall the berating he got from Hibs fans just over a year ago and his comments in the press. He had not scored a goal in ages. Next game, he then goes out and scores a hat-trick against Well (6-6 game). For me, this is a prime example of a player who has decided to raise his game to prove a point, and in the process shows what an unprofessional waster he really was. He was always capable of playing at that level, but chose not to or just couldn't be arsed.

So , in summary, what we need at ER are players (and a manager) who have some balls and professionalism. If Petrie gave us that, then you'll fine the Hibs fans giving their full support.

skipster7
22-08-2011, 09:26 AM

spot on :top marks

Newhaven
22-08-2011, 09:33 AM
So by logic the solution is that we all buy season tickets, no fans actually attend home games at Easter Road and then results should improve :confused:

MrSmith
22-08-2011, 09:40 AM
It's really tough all that is going on just now. I'm really slipping into a coma re it all. However, we asked for better communications and more transparency, we asked for better players and on paper this lot look like they should have better pedigree than we are used too; there is probably more to add but we are getting what we asked for and its still not right!

Why? I can't fault anyone just now but I'm very concerned at the product on the park. I like CC and hoped he would stay but I don't think his leaving directly after a game to head south is productive nor motivating for the players.

So what to do, what to do and where to go?

Keith_M
22-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I realise people were disappointed but, booing the team off at Half Time? I worried about our lack of tactics in the first half and was totally sick when Palsson was once again ripped at the 2nd goal but come on! I for one didn't get the feeling that there was a lack of effort form the players, so why boo?

Incidentally, am I the only person that thought play should have been stopped before St Mirren scored their first and a foul given to Hibs? Their player looked like he wrestled our guy to the ground (Palsson?) to win the ball on their left flank.

Iona Hibs
22-08-2011, 11:33 AM
This was mentioned on another thread yesterday, keekabo. Happened right in front of where I was sitting and was defo a foul. We seemed more interested in having a go at Booth rather than shouting for the obvious infringement.

Stevie Reid
22-08-2011, 11:44 AM
I hate what going to ER has made me become, I whinged my way through the 90 minutes on Saturday, and made a couple of angry shouts at points as well. I am still encouraging as well, but I used to stay quiet when players made mistakes but I find it so hard at the moment.

I used to hate when I heard people doing what I did for much of Saturday - I will try and fix it but it is hard.

BEEJ
22-08-2011, 12:06 PM
So by logic the solution is that we all buy season tickets, no fans actually attend home games at Easter Road and then results should improve :confused:
Yes, consider it as a charitable donation.

Maybe the club could in time claim Gift Aid ....

SneakersO'Toole
22-08-2011, 01:26 PM

While I agree that some of the abuse you hear in the stands is un-called for, I don't think your argument is specific to Hibs only. And to try convey that a lack of bottle from Hibs players is down to the way the fans treat them on matchday is ridiculous IMO.

We as a club unfortunately have a history of players who are bottle merchants. We very rarely breed or buy winners, players with character and 'never say die' attitudes.

The defeatist mentality within the support is down to decades of under-achievement and disappointment.

The defeatist mentality within the club is down to years of mediocity being accepted and nurtured.

If our reaction as fans to incidents in the game is so counter-productive to the players, then I would suggest that we start looking to buy 'men' with a degree of professional pride as opposed to 'boys' who hide at the slightest set-back.

I agree that the fan/club relationship needs to change, but the supporters have more than played their part over the years. They have stood by the team time and time again. Its time the club put a team on the park that possess a different mentality and is one that the fans feel inspired by and can relate to.

MB62
22-08-2011, 02:49 PM

If the laddie ever showed an ounce of interest in playing fitba it might help things. He must have been the only one in the heat on Saturday that never broke sweat.
Played better in the 2nd half at right back but he's not the answer to that problem either, we simply have to sign a proper Right back.

Spoony will not make the top grade IMO and will be a first division player in a year or two, unfortunately that might still be with us.

scoopyboy
22-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Sadly, I believe your logic would be correct.

--------
22-08-2011, 05:00 PM
She does not like football, and can't understand why after every match, I come in start crying and lie in darkened room.... She said "you are meant to enjoy the football"....Women eh?

She's right, mate, we ARE meant to enjoy the football.

Maybe she should tell Farmer and Petrie and Co. They don't seem to have grasped that yet.