PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon and Hanlon

California-Hibs
14-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Why the hell are these two exempt from critisism!? Can someone please tell me what David Wotherspoon offers to the team please? He has no pace, can't/doesn't take anybody on and is woeful at passing, plus hes far too lightweight! Halon is in the same vain, but no one ever seems to bring it up. so often hes caught out of position and costs us goals on end. Stephens should be no where near the starting 11, he again just isn't the solution and should be eased into the team and learn his trade on the training field. As soon as O'Hanlons fit GET HIM BACK IN! Our defense is shocking, too young and soft, with the exception of Booth who gives his all and has alot of good attributes. I'm sick of watching players with the quality of Stephens, Wotherspoon, Stevenson etc. other Hibees might be accepting of it, but sorry, the players mentioned are NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Rant over.

PISTOL1875
14-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Why the hell are these two exempt from critisism!? Can someone please tell me what David Wotherspoon offers to the team please? He has no pace, can't/doesn't take anybody on and is woeful at passing, plus hes far too lightweight! Halon is in the same vain, but no one ever seems to bring it up. so often hes caught out of position and costs us goals on end. Stephens should be no where near the starting 11, he again just isn't the solution and should be eased into the team and learn his trade on the training field. As soon as O'Hanlons fit GET HIM BACK IN! Our defense is shocking, too young and soft, with the exception of Booth who gives his all and has alot of good attributes. I'm sick of watching players with the quality of Stephens, Wotherspoon, Stevenson etc. other Hibees might be accepting of it, but sorry, the players mentioned are NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Rant over.

DW has done eff all for about 18 months now.. The quicker he along with Sproule are left warming the bench the better...

cabbageandribs1875
14-08-2011, 01:47 PM
maybe quite a few posters dont rate them, but dont want the hassle of saying so on here :wink:

Sir David Gray
14-08-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't think they are exempt from criticism. I have seen Hanlon being criticised on numerous occasions on here and I have said a number of times that Wotherspoon should be nowhere near the first XI. He's barely kicked a ball for 18 months.

Russ
14-08-2011, 01:51 PM

I agree totally, i blame Yogi for hampering Spoonys development by playing him at RB in a poor team and was caught out regularly He showed great promise when he broke into the team in midfield. Hanlon to me needs to be dropped and worked on extensively in training, you're right , he is too lightweight. I would add Murray to the equation, he is simply not good enough and contributes little. If he plays in the derby i fear he will lose the plot and be sent packing, along with Sproule i might add, 3 games now and he's had a swipe at an opposing player in 2 of them.

Ozyhibby
14-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Witherspoon is garbage and should be punted ASAP.

Bayern Bru
14-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Wotherspoon was pish today. FACT.

PISTOL1875
14-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Wotherspoon was pish today. FACT.

Just today ???

Andy74
14-08-2011, 01:55 PM
I agree totally, i blame Yogi for hampering Spoonys development by playing him at RB in a poor team and was caught out regularly He showed great promise when he broke into the team in midfield. Hanlon to me needs to be dropped and worked on extensively in training, you're right , he is too lightweight. I would add Murray to the equation, he is simply not good enough and contributes little. If he plays in the derby i fear he will lose the plot and be sent packing, along with Sproule i might add, 3 games now and he's had a swipe at an opposing player in 2 of them.

You blame Yogi?

Priceless. Worherspoons only decent games all came at right back. He was part of a back four that had our best defensive record for several decades up to that Christmas.

The Hurricane
14-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Spot on about Hanlon, I'm not saying the lad doesn't have good potential and looks very comfortable with the ball but lacks the positional sense, hard-tackling and heading ability to be a good centre half at this point in time. When you look at last season, we had the worst defence in the league in which he played virtually every match, something has to change.

Pretty Boy
Wotherspoon and Hanlon were both piss poor today.

Wotherspoon has done nothing for God knows how long now, Hanlon has been so hyped up by some on here without delivering the performances to back it up.

In saying that i don't think either is exempt from criticism, there have been plenty folk having a pop at them today. I think fans might be a bit more willing to forgive poor performances from our own young players though and thats why they don't get the same 'abuse' that others have been given.

sesoim

Actually, I've said Hanlon isn't good enough loads of time on here, but it gets to the point where you get bored of getting shouted down and insulted for saying something that is true. It's not Hanlon's fault and I don't want to get at him - it's the manager's fault for not signing other, better CBs. Until he cuts out his weekly mistakes, Hanlon should be back up, nothing more.

As for Wotherspoon and Stevenson, Spoony was only any good when he was at RB, so why don't we put him back there? Then we can put Palsson into the centre, where he is more comfortable. Stevenson is a nothing player as far as I'm concerned. He is only capable of making easy, pass the buck style passes, and looks way out of his depth. His performance in the 2007 LC Final was grossly overrated, and he has done bugger all since.

Out of interest, I'd like to know our win/loss ration when Stevenson is in the starting XI, because it must be pretty bad.

nickwhibs
14-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Just because they 'haven't been criticised enough', you feel you should single them out for special criticism after today? The whole team were a shambles. On today's showing noone is good enough. But imo it was just a bad day at the office - every player on that park is capable of so much more.

Bayern Bru
14-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Just today ???

Fair point, but today was the worst I've seen him in weeks.

Bayern Bru
14-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Just because they 'haven't been criticised enough', you feel you should single them out for special criticism after today? The whole team were a shambles. On today's showing noone is good enough. But imo it was just a bad day at the office - every player on that park is capable of so much more.

Think you're probably right.

PISTOL1875
14-08-2011, 02:01 PM

I blame Yogi as well.. DW was shunted about like a rag doll.. Different position every few weeks.. Once he got used to playing a role then he would be moved into another position.. He should've been left at RB and got on with playing there.....

Russ
14-08-2011, 02:01 PM
You blame Yogi?

Priceless. Worherspoons only decent games all came at right back. He was part of a back four that had our best defensive record for several decades up to that Christmas.

I said i blame his development on Yogi, he was never a RB in a million years. A s for the best defensive record, anyone who went to those games KNEW we were riding our luck big time in defence, and so it proved in the latter part of that season and the season after.

sesoim
14-08-2011, 02:04 PM
You blame Yogi?

Wotherspoon went downhill when Yogi started tampering with the team and pushed him into midfield. Amazingly, going by recent interviews, Wotherspoon still seems to think he is an attacking midfielder. A decent manager would have sorted him out by now. He looked a potential £3M player at RB, but now he is a waste of space.

cabbageandribs1875
14-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Out of interest, I'd like to know our win/loss ration when Stevenson is in the starting XI, because it must be pretty bad.

our win/loss ratio has been terrible for nearly two seasons now, whether the wee man was playing or not, but i do agree regarding him, he should never have been given a 12 month extension :wink:

ronaldo7
14-08-2011, 02:06 PM
The last good game spoony had?
Can anyone tell which year that was.

PISTOL1875
14-08-2011, 02:11 PM
The last good game spoony had?
Can anyone tell which year that was.

Spot on Ronnie.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wotherspiniesta
14-08-2011, 02:14 PM
I said i blame his development on Yogi, he was never a RB in a million years. A s for the best defensive record, anyone who went to those games KNEW we were riding our luck big time in defence, and so it proved in the latter part of that season and the season after.

I thought he was great at right back. And as for Yogi being culpable for his poor recent performances... :confused: I seem to remember the majority of us wanting him moved further up the park as he was "wasted at right back" I always thought Spoon's natural posiiton would be in the middle of the park, but I'm starting to think he'd be better off moving to right back to try capture his best form.
He was rubbish again today. When Booth was getting forward, he wasn't slotting back in to cover and we were left exposed down that wing so many times it was embarassing.You can see it in his body language when he's having a bad game which is becoming a bit of a worry. He almost lost the rag on a few occasions today and should probably have been sent off before he got subbed.

With regards to Hanlon, I'm willing to give him time. He's still young and his performances are a bit up and down for us. On occasions last season he and Dickoh were great. He's the Scotland U-21 captain and has a big future with this club IMHO. It can't be Stephens to be his partner at CB though. The defence needs someone with good organisation skills and a wealth of experience and hopefully once O'Hanlon is fit again, we'll see a better, more consistent Paul Hanlon.

magnificent_seven
14-08-2011, 02:23 PM
They are both only 21 years old. We have bugger all else in the squad who are capable of doing any better else they would be dropped. Yes, the defence situation needs sorted out but at the moment it's all we have. Both guys have been regular starters the last two years in piss poor teams. Wotherspoon especially has played RB, CM, LM, RM and even striker. IMO his best position is right back and he had some very good games in that position. The criticism he receives on here is unbelieveable. How is a 21 year old meant to improve or have any confidence whatsoever when he gets slated every week from the stands? Yes he was poor today but so was our captain Ian Murray and he somehow escapes pelters even though he turns in dross performances week in week out. At least Wotherspoon looked as though he was trying and on a positive note, managed to deliver a couple of good balls into the box which is more than can be said with the experienced Mr Sproule. The negativity that gets spouted on this board is crazy.

Hibiza
14-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Whole lot p1sh today. Pallson, good player , fish out of water at right back

EVENTUALLY
14-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Wotherspoon would not break into this team if he was part of the current U19s. His form has carried over from last season and he has been poor for a while and I cannot understand why he is being played so regularly. He needs to be dropped and brought back in on the Right side of the pitch. Gave away the foul against Celtic when he should at least committed it on the halfway line...and Celtic scored their first goal. Made another woeful challenge today and Killie scored from a dangerous area. He's lost on the Left IMHO. I thought the guys who played best against Sunderland, played worst today - Stephens, Hanlon, Murray and Palsson. Osborne looks very decent.

matty_f
14-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Wotherspoon and Hanlon were both piss poor today.

Wotherspoon has done nothing for God knows how long now, Hanlon has been so hyped up by some on here without delivering the performances to back it up.

In saying that i don't think either is exempt from criticism, there have been plenty folk having a pop at them today. I think fans might be a bit more willing to forgive poor performances from our own young players though and thats why they don't get the same 'abuse' that others have been given.

:agree:

ronaldo7
14-08-2011, 02:48 PM
They are both only 21 years old. We have bugger all else in the squad who are capable of doing any better else they would be dropped. Yes, the defence situation needs sorted out but at the moment it's all we have. Both guys have been regular starters the last two years in piss poor teams. Wotherspoon especially has played RB, CM, LM, RM and even striker. IMO his best position is right back and he had some very good games in that position. The criticism he receives on here is unbelieveable. How is a 21 year old meant to improve or have any confidence whatsoever when he gets slated every week from the stands? Yes he was poor today but so was our captain Ian Murray and he somehow escapes pelters even though he turns in dross performances week in week out. At least Wotherspoon looked as though he was trying and on a positive note, managed to deliver a couple of good balls into the box which is more than can be said with the experienced Mr Sproule. The negativity that gets spouted on this board is crazy.

I think you need to take the WOTHERSPECS off Mag seven. The lad needs a rest, and we're only just starting out in a long hard season ahead. Imo he's been pushed from pillar to post and it's not developed his game whatsoever. He needs stability and so do we.

His best games imo have been when he first got into the team and was going past players for fun, and then when he had a spell at right back.

I've not criticised DW at all for his effort but due to all of the above he needs a rest and a focus back on his game. Not negative, just realistic.

sahib
14-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Any idiot can say so and so is no good. What we need is a manager who knows who is good enough.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I can't understand why our best right back is playing midfield and a better midfielder is playing right back? Explain that one colin.

ronaldo7
14-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I can't understand why our best right back is playing midfield and a better midfielder is playing right back? Explain that one colin.

Total football and who the fluck is Colin:na na:

Golden Bear
14-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Could it be that David Wotherspoon has been doing too much work at the gym? He seems to have bulked up over the last year but has this been achieved at the expense of pace and mobility?

He was a better player when he made his first team debut and sadly we no longer see any surging runs, classy step overs or raging shots from him these days.

brydekirk
14-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Wotherspoon was pish today. FACT. Wotherspoon is pish

marinello59
14-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Wotherspoon is pish

Very constructive.
He's still a young lad who has lost his way a bit. With support he could still come good.

basehibby
14-08-2011, 04:30 PM
BOOOO - what a hysterically pishy reactionary thread this is!!!

Wotherspoon and Hanlon ARE two very promising youngsters who have been over-utilised over the last year or so precislely because of a lack of quality in the squad. They have qualities which have EARNED their places in the first team but are still young and are learning the ropes - they are going to make mistakes and today both of them did.

So what reaction do we get - a bunch of hysterical crap on here claiming they should be punted/dropped with not even the slightest hint of a suggestion as to who should take their places in the team - probably from the self same punters who would spend all day griping about the experienced players who would/should be taking their places (eg. DeGraff/Hart).

Sometimes coming on here makes me almost ashamed to be a Hibs supporter for being associated with such a bunch of moaning hysterical old wimmin (apologies to all moaning hysterical old wimmin out there - struggling for a better comparison) and this thread here is a prime example.

marinello59
14-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Wotherspoon and Hanlon ARE two very promising youngsters who have been over-utilised over the last year or so precislely because of a lack of quality in the squad. They have qualities which have EARNED their places in the first team but are still young and are learning the ropes - they are going to make mistakes and today both of them did.

So what reaction do we get - a bunch of hysterical crap on here claiming they should be punted/dropped with not even the slightest hint of a suggestion as to who should take their places in the team - probably from the self same punters who would spend all day griping about the experienced players who would/should be taking their places (eg. DeGraff/Hart).

Sometimes coming on here makes me almost ashamed to be a Hibs supporter for being associated with such a bunch of moaning hysterical old wimmin (apologies to all moaning hysterical old wimmin out there - struggling for a better comparison) and this thread here is a prime example.

Well said.

ronaldo7
14-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I think you need to take the WOTHERSPECS off Mag seven. The lad needs a rest, and we're only just starting out in a long hard season ahead. Imo he's been pushed from pillar to post and it's not developed his game whatsoever. He needs stability and so do we.

His best games imo have been when he first got into the team and was going past players for fun, and then when he had a spell at right back.

I've not criticised DW at all for his effort but due to all of the above he needs a rest and a focus back on his game. Not negative, just realistic.

Come on Mike, some of us have been very kind to Spoony and realise he's been over utilised in all areas of the park. He just needs a rest and a position in the team that suits him.

Hysterical auld man aye............Wummin Naw.

basehibby
14-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Come on Mike, some of us have been very kind to Spoony and realise he's been over utilised in all areas of the park. He just needs a rest and a position in the team that suits him.

Hysterical auld man aye............Wummin Naw.

OK Ronnie - maybe I'm not being fair to some of the posters yerself included. For my money, Wotherspoon and Hanlon could both do with being used more sparingly but what are the alternatives?

nickwhibs
14-08-2011, 06:18 PM

:top marks

Andy74
14-08-2011, 06:20 PM
I blame Yogi as well.. DW was shunted about like a rag doll.. Different position every few weeks.. Once he got used to playing a role then he would be moved into another position.. He should've been left at RB and got on with playing there.....

Brilliant. A year later and he's not recovered. What a load of rubbish. Yogi got the best out of him clearly.

PISTOL1875
14-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Brilliant. A year later and he's not recovered. What a load of rubbish. Yogi got the best out of him clearly.

Come on Andy , even you have to admit that moving him all over the park would do no good for his game ??

SaudiHibby
14-08-2011, 07:08 PM

:agree:

ronaldo7
14-08-2011, 07:33 PM
OK Ronnie - maybe I'm not being fair to some of the posters yerself included. For my money, Wotherspoon and Hanlon could both do with being used more sparingly but what are the alternatives?

Thanks for that Mike.

Fwiw I don't have much of a problem with Hanlon although he had a mare today. He also needs to bulk up and bully his man more.

On Spoony, he seems to be better with the game coming at him and performed pretty well at right back during periods of last season. He may also be carrying an injury from last week when he got caught on the ankle. I just think he needs a wee break at the moment and would rest him with either De Graff or Scott coming in for him. Ideally I would have like Welsh to have got a game but until he comes back from his injury I'll have to wait.

Spoony will come again and needs his confidence lifted but you could see the frustration with the lad today when things were not going his way.

Hibernia Na Eir
14-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Why the hell are these two exempt from critisism!? Can someone please tell me what David Wotherspoon offers to the team please? He has no pace, can't/doesn't take anybody on and is woeful at passing, plus hes far too lightweight! Halon is in the same vain, but no one ever seems to bring it up. so often hes caught out of position and costs us goals on end. Stephens should be no where near the starting 11, he again just isn't the solution and should be eased into the team and learn his trade on the training field. As soon as O'Hanlons fit GET HIM BACK IN! Our defense is shocking, too young and soft, with the exception of Booth who gives his all and has alot of good attributes. I'm sick of watching players with the quality of Stephens, Wotherspoon, Stevenson etc. other Hibees might be accepting of it, but sorry, the players mentioned are NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Rant over. totally agree. DW is at best a decent First Div player, no better. Hanlon also same class. extremely lightweight players, but others aren't fit to wear the green. Record low att coming up vs Berwick.

KingFranck
15-08-2011, 11:51 AM
It's been mentioned here and I don't know how many times I've said it to mates Wotherspoon is a RB (or RM at worst) Polsson is a Centre Midfielder so CC get them in their right positions. Why does CC reckon Spoony can play LM??

brog
15-08-2011, 03:10 PM
I posted some weeks ago that my biggest disapointments are Wotherspoon & Stevenson as neither have progressed as expeceted since their early breakthroughs.
I regard Hanlon differently. We currently have the youngest back 4 in our history & he's the glue trying ( not always successfully ) to hold it together. Stephens is very raw & out of his depth at this level & IMO both full backs are really midfielders. The return of O'Hanlon will help the defence immeasurably but I would also play IM at left back with Booth in front of him. If Spoony plays it should be at RB & this would allow Palsson & Osbourne to anchor the midfield. If the midfield is not being overrun I'm sure the defence will have an opportunity to settle in & improve. We really can't continue though with 4 kids at the back.

Andy74
15-08-2011, 03:19 PM
It's been mentioned here and I don't know how many times I've said it to mates Wotherspoon is a RB (or RM at worst) Polsson is a Centre Midfielder so CC get them in their right positions. Why does CC reckon Spoony can play LM??

To be fair every time I seen him play for the under 19s he was left midfield.

Bostonhibby
15-08-2011, 05:18 PM

:agree: Tin hat on, but I would rest both, Wotherspoon suffered under Yogi or at least didn't progress and looks in ned of a rest, I thought some of his challenges and reactions yesterday might actually have got him sent off - something ain't right there.

Hanlon is an enigma to me, don't think he is a great positional defender at all - has potential but looked out of his depth yesterday, not for the first time - the whole defence yesterday fell apart and was far too panicky in my view. I think we resorted to what we had available - RB needs sorted and O'hanlon's experience is required asap. Our defence must be the one the other SPL sides look forward to playing.

Agree re Booth but thought Dayton gave him a master class in the second half.

Mickey Edwards
16-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Doesn't matter too much if we think or don't think these players are great. The main problem is that at the moment I don't think Wotherspoon nor Hanlon are convinced they are top level players so they never will be.

Once they change their mind and make a decision on that themselves then they have a chance in professional sport. If not they will be engulfed by the tide of mediocrity we have seen at ER for 3 years.

A top level player enjoys performing when everybody thinks they're shi'ite but that mentality takes a lot of thinking on your own with the occasional discussion {?with your manager / psychiatrist/parent/brother/sister/dog}. A decision has to be made and it's not ours or the manager's to make. If you don't think you are the real deal you are not a criminal but you shouldn't be at Easter Road.

hibees59
16-08-2011, 05:58 PM

Posts like this aren't welcomed on boo boys thread. Please refrain from posting such sense!