PDA

View Full Version : A Home Grown Team

brog
07-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Apologies, if posted elsewhere as I'm just back in London after seeing the boys, & I mean that literally, yesterday. By my count we had 11 home grown players on the park yesterday. GOC, Murray, Hanlon, Booth, Smith, Crawford, Horner, Caldwell, Stevenson, Wotherspoon & Taggart. Add to that Stephens, Palsson & Galbraith are u-21 & have only known 1st team football at Hibs & it was an excellent performance to hold Sunderland. To put it into perspective we had one player in our squad who cost a fee, Ivan - £5,000 & they had a £10mm sub!!
I was hugely impressed with the effort, bravado, & occasional flashes of skill from the youngsters. I was totally opposed to playing this game, still am in principle, but the young players' confidence will have been boosted immeasurably by their display yesterday - well done all!

RIP
07-08-2011, 10:39 PM
At Hibs we do things quietly. We've moved from the 'Unworkable Legacy' of constant squad makeovers to the 'Home Grown Strategy' fairly seamlessly under Scott Lindsay and Alastair Stevenson whilst allowing Calderwood to bring in some of his former players. So we either end up with Hibbies who want to be here or players who want to play for the manager

Win / Win

frazeHFC
07-08-2011, 10:41 PM
At Hibs we do things quietly. We've moved from the 'Unworkable Legacy' of constant squad makeovers to the 'Home Grown Strategy' fairly seamlessly under Scott Lindsay and Alastair Stevenson whilst allowing Calderwood to bring in some of his former players. So we either end up with Hibbies who want to be here or players who want to play for the managerWin / Win :top marks Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

Mango Man
07-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Apologies, if posted elsewhere as I'm just back in London after seeing the boys, & I mean that literally, yesterday. By my count we had 11 home grown players on the park yesterday. GOC, Murray, Hanlon, Booth, Smith, Crawford, Horner, Caldwell, Stevenson, Wotherspoon & Taggart. Add to that Stephens, Palsson & Galbraith are u-21 & have only known 1st team football at Hibs & it was an excellent performance to hold Sunderland. To put it into perspective we had one player in our squad who cost a fee, Ivan - £5,000 & they had a £10mm sub!!
I was hugely impressed with the effort, bravado, & occasional flashes of skill from the youngsters. I was totally opposed to playing this game, still am in principle, but the young players' confidence will have been boosted immeasurably by their display yesterday - well done all!

Good post mate. This is a big season for the youngsters, seems like they will get a chance to play regularly in the first team. Hope players like Wotherspoon and Stevenson come good again.

:flag:

jacomo
07-08-2011, 11:22 PM
:top marks Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

If this is the new strategy then I'm in favour of it. Please oh please CC come good.

Beefster
08-08-2011, 08:19 AM
At Hibs we do things quietly. We've moved from the 'Unworkable Legacy' of constant squad makeovers to the 'Home Grown Strategy' fairly seamlessly under Scott Lindsay and Alastair Stevenson whilst allowing Calderwood to bring in some of his former players. So we either end up with Hibbies who want to be here or players who want to play for the manager

Win / Win

I thought that the unworkable legacy was loans a couple of weeks ago?

We still seem to be using short-term deals/loans and have no idea if the youngsters coming through are good enough (see Byrne and co for an example of counting chickens) so I'm not sure that constant squad makeovers are a thing of the past.

down-the-slope
08-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I thought that the unworkable legacy was loans a couple of weeks ago?

We still seem to be using short-term deals/loans and have no idea if the youngsters coming through are good enough (see Byrne and co for an example of counting chickens) so I'm not sure that constant squad makeovers are a thing of the past.

Not a good example...he hardly played in ist team at all..the expectation was from how he played in U19's....some of our youngsters have played more already in pre-season till now that Byrne played in total....

Totally agree with OP....I watched the U19 league winning side instead of first team during Mixus tenure so fed up was I with how Big boys were 'playing'...very refreshing it was....

Saturday was just like seeing that moved a few stages..skill / pace / desire to play for each other & manager...and yes a bit of rawness / lack of big game experience.......but give me that anyday to watch...

I also think the managers verbalised plan to have experienced players (on and off the pitch) in the dressing room as part of the grooming process is great..rather than expecting manager / coaches etc to do it all realising that they can learn so much from those who have been over the course before and get a cutlture throughout club / dressingroom (we know this worked negativley with gambling / drinking etc in the past)

brog
08-08-2011, 08:59 AM
I also think the managers verbalised plan to have experienced players (on and off the pitch) in the dressing room as part of the grooming process is great..rather than expecting manager / coaches etc to do it all realising that they can learn so much from those who have been over the course before and get a cutlture throughout club / dressingroom (we know this worked negativley with gambling / drinking etc in the past)[/QUOTE]

I agree, I see there's another thread re EDG. I thought he enjoyed the occasion on Sat, being one of the experienced players & probably knowing he wasn't going to be hooked after 45 minutes. As another poster said, there's a great deal of rawness evident ( understandably ) but I remember players like Colin Stein & Shades who compensated for their initial inexperience with huge enthusiasm & energy until such time as they gained the matchtime experience. If any of Saturday's boys turn out as well as either of those 2 we'll be delighted.

Gettin' Auld
08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
To put it into perspective they had a £10mm sub!!
Geez he'll never make a career as a footballer - Far too wee.

:greengrin

Sir David Gray
08-08-2011, 05:06 PM

Win / Win

I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that "squad makeovers" are a thing of the past.

In the summer, about 15 players left the club after their contracts expired and next summer, we have another 10 first team players who are out of contract.

Franck is God
09-08-2011, 11:29 AM
In the summer, about 15 players left the club after their contracts expired and next summer, we have another 10 first team players who are out of contract.

About 15 players were allowed to leave in the summer and pretty much all the players took either a sideways or step down to find another club. Perhaps Miller and Riordan gained financially from their moves but it was hardly a step up.

We may have a number of players on one year deals but each one of them has a point to prove and a desire to play at a high level every week and will fight for a new deal rather than accept Hibs as the highlight of their career which IMO can only work out well for the team.