PDA

View Full Version : Passport Help?

SRHibs
03-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Basically, I'm going on holiday in September and I need a new passport. I know that if you apply for a first adult passport, it can potentially take 6 weeks or more to arrive. Thing is, I'm not sure which category I fall under. I've had a child passport before, but I lost it a few months back. None of the areas really cover my situation, so was just wondering if anyone had been in this position before and knows what the deal is? Thanks.

The criteria for both are as follows:-

First adult passport

You can apply if:

You never had a child passport
You were included on a parent's passport rather than having a child passport of their own
Renewal

You can apply to renew your passport if you still have your last passport and:

it was a standard UK adult ten-year passport or a UK five-year child's passport issued before you were 16
it is undamaged
you do not need to change your name or national status
You cannot renew your passport if:

you were previously included as a child on someone else's passport
In this case you will need to apply for a first adult passport.

Removed
03-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Send a tweet to @DavidObua :wink:

HibbyAndy
03-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Send a tweet to @DavidObua :wink:

:hilarious

:greengrin

Future17
03-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Basically, I'm going on holiday in September and I need a new passport. I know that if you apply for a first adult passport, it can potentially take 6 weeks or more to arrive. Thing is, I'm not sure which category I fall under. I've had a child passport before, but I lost it a few months back. None of the areas really cover my situation, so was just wondering if anyone had been in this position before and knows what the deal is? Thanks.

The criteria for both are as follows:-

First adult passport

You can apply if:

You never had a child passport
You were included on a parent's passport rather than having a child passport of their own
Renewal

You can apply to renew your passport if you still have your last passport and:

it was a standard UK adult ten-year passport or a UK five-year child's passport issued before you were 16
it is undamaged
you do not need to change your name or national status
You cannot renew your passport if:

you were previously included as a child on someone else's passport
In this case you will need to apply for a first adult passport.

First Adult Passport I'm afraid. Sooner you do it the better! :aok:

SRHibs
03-08-2011, 08:17 PM
First Adult Passport I'm afraid. Sooner you do it the better! :aok:

You 100% sure on this?

It would seem that I could pretty much be ****ed if that's the case, as it's now under 6 weeks until I'm meant to leave and first adults can't be expedited as far as I'm aware. Uh-oh...:doh:

Future17
03-08-2011, 08:37 PM
You 100% sure on this?

It would seem that I could pretty much be ****ed if that's the case, as it's now under 6 weeks until I'm meant to leave and first adults can't be expedited as far as I'm aware. Uh-oh...:doh:

More like 99.5%.

I only know of one person who has recently applied for an Adult passport having had a child passport and they were required to provide the Child passport as part of the application. The "Renewal" section of the info you posted also states "You can apply to renew your passport if you still have your last passport...."

Obviously if you don't have your passport you can't do this.

There is a telephone advice line on 0300 222 0000 (8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, and from 9am - 5.30pm weekends and public holidays.)

If you are seriously worried about the turnaround time, you can also apply for a fast-track (one week) service. However, you need to visit the Passport Office in person (nearest is in Glasgow) and I have no idea how much they will charge you for it (I can't imagine it will be cheap).

You can find out about the fast-track service costs and book an appointment at the Passport Office at the number above. They'll tell you everything you need to take so you don't get all the way through there to be told you don't have the necessary documents.

If you can be charming on the phone, it's also worth asking them to confirm the current turnaround for general applications. They will probably say 6 weeks but if you sound nice enough they might let you in on the secret if they're currently banging them out a lot faster, thereby saving yourself some cash and a lot of hassle.

Good luck! :aok:

SRHibs
03-08-2011, 08:49 PM
If you are seriously worried about the turnaround time, you can also apply for a fast-track (one week) service. However, you need to visit the Passport Office in person (nearest is in Glasgow) and I have no idea how much they will charge you for it (I can't imagine it will be cheap).

You can find out about the fast-track service costs and book an appointment at the Passport Office at the number above. They'll tell you everything you need to take so you don't get all the way through there to be told you don't have the necessary documents.

Thanks for the help. Doesn't bode well though as apparently there is no way of speeding up the process if it's for a first adult. I guess phoning up and pleading with them is my best (only) option.

Future17
03-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the help. Doesn't bode well though as apparently there is no way of speeding up the process if it's for a first adult. I guess phoning up and pleading with them is my best (only) option.

That's interesting. Is that because of this new interview crap they've introduced? If it is, you shouldn't need an interview because you held a child passport (even though you no longer have it). I don't know if not needing an interview will help with the timescale or not. Like you say, calling up and turning on the charm is your best bet. On a related note, the best time to call a call centre is between 10-11.30am. That's when people are most likely to be a) in a good mood and b) talkative - which normally translates to helpful.

I know it's a long shot but did you ever note your passport number from your child passport or, even better, take a photocopy of it for some reason (like an application for something at school/football etc). If so, any chance you might still have it? Like I say, it's a long shot, but parents who are ultra-organised when going on holidays should be keeping a photocopy of the whole family's passport in case they are lost or stolen abroad.

Future17
03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
P.S. - I mention the part about the photocopy/note of passport number as they Passport Office may be able to use it to treat you as a renewal.

SRHibs
03-08-2011, 09:42 PM
That's interesting. Is that because of this new interview crap they've introduced? If it is, you shouldn't need an interview because you held a child passport (even though you no longer have it). I don't know if not needing an interview will help with the timescale or not. Like you say, calling up and turning on the charm is your best bet. On a related note, the best time to call a call centre is between 10-11.30am. That's when people are most likely to be a) in a good mood and b) talkative - which normally translates to helpful.

I know it's a long shot but did you ever note your passport number from your child passport or, even better, take a photocopy of it for some reason (like an application for something at school/football etc). If so, any chance you might still have it? Like I say, it's a long shot, but parents who are ultra-organised when going on holidays should be keeping a photocopy of the whole family's passport in case they are lost or stolen abroad.

I think the interview is the part of the process that causes it to take such a length of time, yeah. Maybe it would be possible to get it expedited if it was the case that I didn't have to attend an interview, but I'm not sure. Not even certain that they won't make me attend an interview, bearing in mind that I lost my previous one somehow, somewhere.

My old work might still have a photocopy of it on file. It might be worth me phoning them and seeing if I can get that actually.

SRHibs
03-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Posted it on another forum and have received some positive responses. All of the people who have been in my situation still received their passports relatively quickly.

SRHibs
04-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Went to the post office today to find out what"s what. Luckily for me your 99.5 percent certainty was off the mark, haha. Goes through as a renewal and should be with me within 2-3 weeks.

Sending my birth certificate alongside my application to speed the process up a little.

Cheers for the help.

Future17
04-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Went to the post office today to find out what"s what. Luckily for me your 99.5 percent certainty was off the mark, haha. Goes through as a renewal and should be with me within 2-3 weeks.

Sending my birth certificate alongside my application to speed the process up a little.

Cheers for the help.

Ha ha! There's always that 0.5%! :greengrin

I haven't seen the form but was told that you need to provide passport number etc for a renewal. They must be using your birth certificate to trace your original passport number, but I'm surprised that they'll do that for you.

Good news though! Enjoy your hols! :thumbsup:

SRHibs
04-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Ha ha! There's always that 0.5%! :greengrin I haven't seen the form but was told that you need to provide passport number etc for a renewal. They must be using your birth certificate to trace your original passport number, but I'm surprised that they'll do that for you. Good news though! Enjoy your hols! :thumbsup: I suppose he could be wrong to be honest. Although working at the post office, I'd like to think(or at least hope) that he knows what he's talking about. He said that if I've had my own passport, then I'll be on the system and it should be relatively easy to find me. I was sure to clarify--about 3 times--whether or not I'd need an interview, and I was told definitely not. So hopefully he knows what he's talking about. The criteria on the government website are horribly ambiguous in regards to a situation like this. Can't be all that uncommon a thing either.