PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Edinburgh

Lost_Mackem
02-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm ashamed to say that Saturday will be my first ever visit to Scotland's capital so don't really know much about the place other than the castle sits on an old volcano. :wink:

Me and my mate are going to have about four hours or so to kill so what could we get up to in Edinburgh other than heading for the nearest bar to get pissed?

In addition, are there any no go areas for a couple of naiive young Englishmen? Should the bars near the ground be safe? I've heard theres a big international rugby game on at Murrayfield so we don't really want to be caught up in anything stupid. Any bars you'd recommend? Best place to grab a bite to eat?

Cheers in advance lads.

CropleyWasGod
02-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm ashamed to say that Saturday will be my first ever visit to Scotland's capital so don't really know much about the place other than the castle sits on an old volcano. :wink:

Me and my mate are going to have about four hours or so to kill so what could we get up to in Edinburgh other than heading for the nearest bar to get pissed?

In addition, are there any no go areas for a couple of naiive young Englishmen? Should the bars near the ground be safe? I've heard theres a big international rugby game on at Murrayfield so we don't really want to be caught up in anything stupid. Any bars you'd recommend? Best place to grab a bite to eat?

Cheers in advance lads.

Naw it disny!! :greengrin

Lost_Mackem
02-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Always thought it sat on an extinct volcano. :confused:

R'Albin
02-08-2011, 06:15 PM

Cheers in advance lads.

Go to a further away one and get pissed?:wink:

CropleyWasGod
02-08-2011, 06:16 PM

Common mistake, mate.

The Castle rock is volcanic, yes, left there after the last Ice Age. But the volcano itself, Arthur's Seat, is above Holyrood Palace. When you get bored during the game on Saturday, you will be able to crane your neck and see it.

stevenhibs
02-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Nah, Easter Road sits at the bottom of the extinct volcano marra.

What sort of stuff are you looking to do? Immerse yourself in the culture of the city or visit some seedy (parsnip, friday fit bird type) establishments? :wink:

Frazerbob
02-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I'd suggest you have a wander around The Royal Mile, The Mound, Princes Street etc, stopping of for a few pints on the way to Easter Road.

Removed
02-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Nah, Easter Road sits at the bottom of the extinct volcano marra.What sort of stuff are you looking to do? Immerse yourself in the culture of the city or visit some seedy (parsnip, friday fit bird type) establishments? :wink: If he wanted that he'd logon to RTG and see what bawjaws is up to :slipper:

fat freddy
02-08-2011, 06:29 PM
why not go and see a re enactment of the jacobite victory at the battle of prestonpans?...between 11am and 4pm there are a series of events relating to the famous battle at st. marys cathedral on palmerston place, slap bang in the middle of the city...there is to be a re enactment on the cathedral lawns which should give you some good memories of your visit...it's all free and inside the cathedral you can see the 104 metre tapestry which depicts the historic square go.

basehibby
02-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Naw it disny!! :greengrin

Aye it does!

Anyways - there are some good places to grab a bite to eat (cafes/restaurants/pub grub) on Leith Walk (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ACAW_enGB434&q=maps+leith+walk&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&ion=1&biw=1366&bih=653&wrapid=tlif131230975115610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl) and some of the streets leading to the ground from there.

Pubs? plenty on Easter Road - try the "four in hand" for size - a good Hibs pub with loads of photoes on the walls and footy on the telly.

frazeHFC
02-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Just walk around Princes Street and when you see anyone in a Hearts, Rangers or Celtic top...........kick them. :na na:

In all seriousness. If it is a nice day then just have a wander around Princes Street, Royal Mile etc and you will find a few pubs to stop in. There will probably be a mention of one on a Sunderland forum of where your lot are meeting pre-match.

stevenhibs
02-08-2011, 06:36 PM
If he wanted that he'd logon to RTG and see what bawjaws is up to :slipper:

:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-08-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm ashamed to say that Saturday will be my first ever visit to Scotland's capital so don't really know much about the place other than the castle sits on an old volcano. :wink:Me and my mate are going to have about four hours or so to kill so what could we get up to in Edinburgh other than heading for the nearest bar to get pissed?In addition, are there any no go areas for a couple of naiive young Englishmen? Should the bars near the ground be safe? I've heard theres a big international rugby game on at Murrayfield so we don't really want to be caught up in anything stupid. Any bars you'd recommend? Best place to grab a bite to eat?Cheers in advance lads. If you guys are particularly naive, planet out and surrounding establishments could be an eye opener!

bandylegs_jLeighton
02-08-2011, 06:41 PM
The Edinburgh Fringe Festival starts this week, you could maybe check on the website and see if there is a show you could take in.

Beware that some shows can be utter ****, it is very hit and miss.

woodythehibee
02-08-2011, 06:53 PM
I'd suggest you have a wander around The Royal Mile, The Mound, Prince's Street etc, stopping of for a few pints on the way to Easter Road.

agree with this, with the Edinburgh Fringe Festival on, the place will be buzzing :agree:

Lost_Mackem
02-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Might have a look in the Cathedral then, always nice to take in abit of history and culture.

Hillsidehibby
02-08-2011, 07:04 PM
If your coming by train, come out of Waverley Station and get on one of the open top tour buses that go round the Old Town.

You can get on and off at loads of pubs and get a guided tour of Edinburgh into the bargain for a tenner.

fat freddy
02-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Might have a look in the Cathedral then, always nice to take in abit of history and culture.

good choice...the cathedral is close to haymarket station...check it out on google earth... it's only a few minutes from the west end of princes street on palmerston place..dont mistake it for st. marys r.c. cathedral at the east end...only edinburgh could have two cathedrals with the same name...just to confuse the tourists!

Removed
02-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Might have a look in the Cathedral then, always nice to take in abit of history and culture.Then get pished :cheers: :drunk:

mim
02-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Have a trawl about this site (http://www.edfringe.com/). It will give you a flavour of what goes on at the Fringe.
There are plenty of street acts to keep you amused/entertained between pub stops - just head for the Royal Mile (High Street), which runs from Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood Palace. Give yourself 30 minutes to get from the High Street to Easter Road.

There are plenty of friendly boozers near the ground.

Holmesdale Hibs
02-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Get a tour of Mary Kings Close - you can organize this somewhere on the royal mile - then get pissed. Also worth taking the time to laugh at hearts but I guess you don't need to be on Edinburgh to do that.

brog
02-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Cheers in advance lads.

Other posters have given advice re bars etc, a couple of pints in Grassmarket, good for food also would help you soak up the atmosphere of the old town. Re the bit in bold don't worry, there's probably more English living in Edinburgh than Sunderland! Rugby crowd will be no problem, especially as it's Ireland. Just means pubs up town will be even more crowded after game. Enjoy your visit!

Keith_M
02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Would you lot stop telling the Lad to get p*ssed!

He's obviously much more cultured than the lot of ye, tho goin by the comments on here, that wouldn't be difficult.

:wink:

Lost Makem, if you've really got a while to spare, you could do much worse than go a walk all the way down the Royal Mile, from the Castle to Holyrood Palace. The advantage of that is that by the time you're at the bottom of the Street, you're almost on Easter Road. There should be plenty of Street Theatre and stuff to keep you amused for a while.

If you do wish to imbibe of anything alcoholic afterwards, I'd think the pubs in the top half of Easter Road would be OK, though a bit busy. You might be better going for a drink and something to eat in the Royal Mile. The Tass and The World's End are in the lower half of the street and do reasonable food and drink, though The World's End is usually mobbed.

Enjoy your day.

Hibrandenburg
02-08-2011, 07:53 PM
The Guinness Book of Records are having an exhibition down near a place called Gorgie! Supposedly you can marvel at the worlds biggest bus shelter. Take that in and then get pished.

blairwallace
02-08-2011, 07:55 PM

Cheers in advance lads.

The castle and the royal mile is what is called a crag and tail which was created during the ice ace with the hard rock (crag) protecting the softer rock (tail/The Royal mile) another example of this is North berwick law. the actual rock that it sits on is the inside of an old volcano which has hardened, the volcano itself was destroyed during the ice age, if we never had an ice age the volcano would cover princes street.

though i'd input some information :greengrin

Jonnyboy
02-08-2011, 07:55 PM
The Guinness Book of Records are having an exhibition down near a place called Gorgie! Supposedly you can marvel at the worlds biggest bus shelter. Take that in and then get pished.

Indeed and at the attempt by the owners of said shelter to sack and or pay late the most employees in the longest possible time :greengrin

Keith_M
02-08-2011, 07:56 PM
The castle and the royal mile is what is called a crag and tail which was created during the ice ace with the hard rock (crag) protecting the softer rock (tail/The Royal mile) another example of this is North berwick law. the actual rock that it sits on is the inside of an old volcano which has hardened, the volcano itself was destroyed during the ice age, if we never had an ice age the volcano would cover princes street.

Stop it, that's far too intellectual for this site!

Removed
02-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Would you lot stop telling the Lad to get p*ssed! He's obviously much more cultured than the lot of ye, tho goin by the comments on here, that wouldn't be difficult.:wink:Lost Makem, if you've really got a while to spare, you could do much worse than go a walk all the way down the Royal Mile, from the Castle to Holyrood Palace. The advantage of that is that by the time you're at the bottom of the Street, you're almost on Easter Road. There should be plenty of Street Theatre and stuff to keep you amused for a while.If you do wish to imbibe of anything alcoholic afterwards, I'd think the pubs in the top half of Easter Road would be OK, though a bit busy. You might be better going for a drink and something to eat in the Royal Mile. The Tass and The World's End are in the lower half of the street and do reasonable food and drink, though The World's End is usually mobbed.Enjoy your day. :faf: cultured, have you ever been to Sunderland :wink:

Hibrandenburg
02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Leith is a port town and there's some good seafood to be had. You can get a fishy on a little dishy when the boat comes in. And then get pished.

JoJo_07
02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Plenty bus tours various routes around Edinburgh. See here (http://www.edinburghtour.com/). The Majestic tour takes you about half way down Leith Walk and along London Road. Both streets near Easter Road. This visits the former Royal Yacht Britannia (http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/). This is worth a visit. Now if you are here for more than just the day there are two area in Edinburgh not to get mixed up. There is the pubic triangle and the pink triangle. One of the boozers in one of these areas has already been mentioned. Will leave you to do the research. You should be fine in most pubs around Easter Road and Leith Walk and pretty much anywhere in Edinburgh. Note that most of the pubs in the city centre won't let you in with football colours but you should be fine down Easter Road and Leith Walk. Some of them also have no access to under 21's signs so might be worth bringing ID if you you're a young looking 19. I am sure you will have good time but hopefully not because of the result at ER.

Hibs07p
02-08-2011, 08:37 PM

You could go to Dynamic Earth, you might get some clue there. :greengrin

If you want to piss yourself laughing try the Jongleurs Club in Gorgie Road.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-08-2011, 08:46 PM
what could we get up to in Edinburgh....

Get a bus along Gorgie Road and fling ***** at Tynecastle stadium :greengrin

Cant see you getting any hassle mate. The Fringe starts on Saturday so get yourself up the Royal Mile (up towards the Castle) and have a wander about, usually loads going on with street artists and shows and that.

What sort of numbers do you think Sunderland will bring on Saturday?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-08-2011, 08:51 PM

Good knowledge!

so whats the Bass rock all about?

Lost_Mackem
02-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks very much for all the info. Saturday can't come quickly enough for me. :wink:

Get a bus along Gorgie Road and fling ***** at Tynecastle stadium :greengrin

Cant see you getting any hassle mate. The Fringe starts on Saturday so get yourself up the Royal Mile (up towards the Castle) and have a wander about, usually loads going on with street artists and shows and that.

What sort of numbers do you think Sunderland will bring on Saturday?

Couple of thousand I think, maybe more.

nonshinyfinish
02-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Good knowledge!

I'm pretty sure that's just a big rock.

ArabHibee
02-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that's just a big rock.A big rock full of puffins.

heretoday
02-08-2011, 09:31 PM
I believe the Castle is good value although I haven't been there for about 40 years. Also the Botanical Gardens are great on a sunny day and free to enter. Wee bit out of the centre though.

The Royal Mile trip is your best bet as said above if you've only got four hours. Don't drink too much. Apparently it's bad for you!

Springbank
02-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Did someone mention planet out? Oooh ya beauty, huvnae been there for 3 years. Ma boyfriend often squeezed ma plooks there. Cheerie bye, craig gordon.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks very much for all the info. Saturday can't come quickly enough for me. :wink:

Couple of thousand I think, maybe more.

Good stuff :thumbsup:

FranckSuzy
02-08-2011, 09:38 PM
If you decide to venture down the Royal Mile, be sure and look out for the Heart of Midlothian crazy paving/commerative/not really sure what it's for/stone thingy and make sure you spit on it. Local custom :wink: Seriously :greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-08-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty sure that's just a big rock.

Thats dissapointing. Was hoping for a more glamorous origin

down-the-slope
02-08-2011, 10:10 PM
A big rock full of puffins.

getting bigger every year due to all the Sheeehite........its that the same as a big team....:confused:

Hibs90
02-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Highly recommend CC Blooms. :greengrin

blairwallace
03-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Good knowledge!

a volcanic plug i guess, formed the same way as the royal mile but without the tail, sea levels eroding the volcano itself leaving just the core

JennaFletcher
03-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Royal Mile is a good bet, although with the festival now in full swing it will be hard to grab some food without a booking. Had some friends say that there were no places free yesterday day time! Besides during the festival, the food can be a bit over priced. I'd say head to a few bars in Royal Mile/ do some sights then on way down towards the stadium grab a bite to eat, much likely to be less busy and better value for money. I've always loved the Tail End on Leith Walk, best chippy in Edinburgh - all fish cooked fresh to order. There's also a small sit in area, could be good if you need something to absorb your drinks! If you want somewhere else, Massimo (10/11 Antigua Street) is a modern Italian on the left hand side of the roundabout that leads to London Road/top of Elm Row and Leith Walk, you'd be bound to get a table in there and the food is very nice!

Just thought I'd share this info with you as you don't want to be stressing looking for somewhere in the hustle and bustle of the festival.

Hibs On Tour
03-08-2011, 06:06 AM
Scorpio Leisure - ease away those aches and strains right beside the ground! :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2011, 07:25 AM
1. Learn of the proud military history of our city with a visit to a famous war memorial, and think about how lucky you are to be free to then;

2. expand your educational frontiers with the Rix-Thomson tour of Edinburgh primary schools, and

3. pick up some quality capital sporting merchandise from a busy wee superstore in Edinburgh's fashionable St.James's Centre...(whoops...OPTION NOW UNAVAILABLE)

4. ...then head out to Riccarton, a leafy suburb and watch spotty badminton playing students argue with capital sporting legend FJK (7-0, 6-2, 5-1) about whose turn it is to use the facilities...(whoops...OPTION NOW UNAVAILABLE)

5. ...head to the world-famous PBS for a stadium tour. Sit in the world-famous Asbo stand and breath in the very same air which made joining McCrae's battalion a relatively safe, low-risk alternative.

blackpoolhibs
03-08-2011, 07:29 AM
1. Learn of the proud military history of our city with a visit to a famous war memorial, and think about how lucky you are to be free to then;

2. expand your educational frontiers with the Rix-Thomson tour of Edinburgh primary schools, and

3. pick up some quality capital sporting merchandise from a busy wee superstore in Edinburgh's fashionable St.James's Centre...(whoops...OPTION NOW UNAVAILABLE)

4. ...then head out to Riccarton, a leafy suburb and watch spotty badminton playing students argue with capital sporting legend FJK (7-0, 6-2, 5-1) about whose turn it is to use the facilities...(whoops...OPTION NOW UNAVAILABLE)

5. ...head to the world-famous PBS for a stadium tour. Sit in the world-famous Asbo stand and breath in the very same air which made joining McCrae's battalion a relatively safe, low-risk alternative.

:not worth:not worth:not worth Speachless just speachless. :top marks:top marks:faf:

hibsbollah
03-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Anything you do will be a massive improvement on Sunderland, so just enjoy!:wink:On the other hand, you'll probably find most Edinburgh folk to be dour, miserable bassas, and you'll be waiting a long time for a smile or any sort of customer service in shops. Unless of course you're served by one of our many Polish residents, who are much friendlier and better looking than us Scots. Most people you meet will be tourists, standing in the middle of the pavement looking lost. ALWAYS give them inaccurate directions and you'll feel like a local in no time.

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Anything you do will be a massive improvement on Sunderland, so just enjoy!:wink:On the other hand, you'll probably find most Edinburgh folk to be dour, miserable bassas, and you'll be waiting a long time for a smile or any sort of customer service in shops. Unless of course you're served by one of our many Polish residents, who are much friendlier and better looking than us Scots. Most people you meet will be tourists, standing in the middle of the pavement looking lost. ALWAYS give them inaccurate directions and you'll feel like a local in no time.

Unless they look particularly lost and very stupid, in which case they are likely to be a Jambo. No need to personally give inaccurate information in these circumstances, just refer them to a Mr Romanov, who will be sure to oblige.

Hibrandenburg
03-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Whatever you do just don't and I mean do not go in to the changing rooms in the only remaining HMFC fan shop.

Has anyone mentioned getting pished yet?

HibbyDave
03-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Just enjoy the most beautiful city in the world..........Then get pished. You'll probably never want to go home (usually cause you'll be pished).

Enjoy!!!:thumbsup:

Green_one
03-08-2011, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=keekaboo;2877015]Lost Makem, if you've really got a while to spare, you could do much worse than go a walk all the way down the Royal Mile, from the Castle to Holyrood Palace. The advantage of that is that by the time you're at the bottom of the Street, you're almost on Easter Road. There should be plenty of Street Theatre and stuff to keep you amused for a while.

QUOTE]

I think the above is good advice. If you are travelling by train there are tour buses just outside the station. You can see the castle so make your way up there via Princes street, the main street in Edinburgh . There is also the Camera Obscura, the Whisky centre, Mary Kings Close and a load of really different closes to explore that make up Edinburgh's high street. Loads of stuff goes on in the High Street. Bound to find something that you like. On the way down its traditional to gob on the Heart of Midlothian stone in the pavement at St Giles. Give it a good one from me. :greengrin The Parliament is also at the bottom of the High street. Worth a laugh!!!! Turn left at the bottom and go under the railway bridge and you will eventually get to Easter Road, about 15 minutes away. The alternative is to explore the New Town and do some pubs there. Edinburgh is not short of pubs anywhere in the centre or on your routes.

Edinburgh is not dangerous but it is very busy at this time of the year and terrible for driiving in. During the festival no-one will notice your nationality or care. If you were wearing a gorilla costume, a tutu and a red wig, no-one would look twice at you. Have a good visit. Welcome to Easter Road.

down-the-slope
03-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Has to be a visit to the newly refurbished and open Chamber Street National Museum of Scotland....4 weeks would not get you round the 8000+ exhibits....AND its FREE - truly something for everyone
:not worth
http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/national_museum.aspx

Saunter down the royal mile afterwards to take in the sights and festival atmoshpere.....then down Easter Road (maybe you should have a drink here...might be thirsty by then)

And to the match...which will likley disappoint..but the memories of the capital will live long (so long as you didn't leave too long for that refreshing drink :wink:)

down-the-slope
03-08-2011, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=keekaboo;2877015]Lost Makem, if you've really got a while to spare, you could do much worse than go a walk all the way down the Royal Mile, from the Castle to Holyrood Palace. The advantage of that is that by the time you're at the bottom of the Street, you're almost on Easter Road. There should be plenty of Street Theatre and stuff to keep you amused for a while.

QUOTE]

I think the above is good advice. If you are travelling by train there are tour buses just outside the station. You can see the castle so make your way up there via Princes street, the main street in Edinburgh . There is also the Camera Obscura, the Whisky centre, Mary Kings Close and a load of really different closes to explore that make up Edinburgh's high street. Loads of stuff goes on in the High Street. Bound to find something that you like. On the way down its traditional to gob on the Heart of Midlothian stone in the pavement at St Giles. Give it a good one from me. :greengrin The Parliament is also at the bottom of the High street. Worth a laugh!!!! Turn left at the bottom and go under the railway bridge and you will eventually get to Easter Road, about 15 minutes away. The alternative is to explore the New Town and do some pubs there. Edinburgh is not short of pubs anywhere in the centre or on your routes.

Edinburgh is not dangerous but it is very busy at this time of the year and terrible for driiving in. During the festival no-one will notice your nationality or care. If you were wearing a gorilla costume, a tutu and a red wig, no-one would look twice at you. Have a good visit. Welcome to Easter Road.

Oi...family board..keep your dressing fetishes to yourself :wink:

Albion Hibs
03-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Cheers in advance lads.

I would go for the Royal Mile if it is a good day, there are plenty of foregin folk there so you will be more than fine! A good atmostphere with street shows etc for the festival and some more Edinburgh like boozers to enjoy a few pints in.

Lost_Mackem
03-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Anything you do will be a massive improvement on Sunderland.

Lucky I ain't from Sunderland, our fanbase comes from all over North East England you know. :wink: I live near Durham, which in itself is a beautiful city with the most impressive cathedral in Europe.

Hibrandenburg
03-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Lucky I ain't from Sunderland, our fanbase comes from all over North East England you know. :wink: I live near Durham, which in itself is a beautiful city with the most impressive cathedral in Europe.

Got a damn good kicking in Durham back in 84 from about 30 coal miners who thought I was a copper. Score still ended 1-1 though :wink:

Nice town with some braw lassies! Enjoy Auld Reekie.

Removed
03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Lucky I ain't from Sunderland, our fanbase comes from all over North East England you know. :wink: I live near Durham, which in itself is a beautiful city with the most impressive cathedral in Europe. :hmmm: Stanley? :wink:

Hibee87
03-08-2011, 06:39 PM

dinny listen to him he used to live in newcastle and i hear he is fan of the toon :tee hee: maybe you and your sunderland mates should use the time to hunt bollah instead :thumbsup:

seriously though as people have said walk from the top to the bottom of the royal mile and take in all the shows and be sure to spit on the hearts cobble badge on the pavement a quarter of the way down (its an ancient edinburgh tradition) and wehn you get to the bottom of the royal mile at hollyrood palace turn left and follow the road and you will hit the top of easter road on the way to the game

greenlex
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
A big rock full of puffins.
Not sure there are many Puffins there but there are thousands of Gannets.:agree:

hibsbollah
03-08-2011, 08:25 PM

Only kidding marra, I used to work in Durham City and lived in your part of the world for years. Enjoyed my trips to the SOL and Roker Park too, enjoy your stay in Edinburgh:aok: