PDA

View Full Version : Dean Shiels signs for Killie

SteveHFC
29-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Didn't see that coming.

IWasThere2016
29-07-2011, 08:51 PM
I did - wondered if we were interested ..

R'Albin
29-07-2011, 08:54 PM
That's annoying, I always liked Deano..

Judas Iscariot
29-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Said to the Mrs' a few weeks ago that this would no doubt happen :agree:

I'd of had him back at ER in a instant, we're lacking someone with his technical ability and creativity..

Sir David Gray
29-07-2011, 08:56 PM
:confused: Have I missed something?

I can't see it mentioned on Sky Sports News, the BBC website or the Kilmarnock website.

I'm not disputing that he has signed for them, it would make sense since his father is the manager but I can't see this at all.

3pm
29-07-2011, 08:57 PM
No thanks! Shiels was good to begin with but generally mince thereafter.

vanNISHtelroy
29-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Thought this was maybe coming, one of the guys thats sits near me at RP spoke to Kenny before our friendly against Ross County and he said he was interested in signing his son and he was interested in signing for us it was just a case of waiting to see if it was possible.

Could be a decent signing, thought he was pretty good when with yous.

At The Edge
:confused: Have I missed something?

I can't see it mentioned on Sky Sports News, the BBC website or the Kilmarnock website.

I'm not disputing that he has signed for them, it would make sense since his father is the manager but I can't see this at all.

:agree: checked all of the above and the Doncaster site, no mention at all, the only place i've seen it mention is on Pie and Bovril.

Good signing for them if confirmed

Riordans Boots
I am actually quite shocked at Deano going to Killie :agree:

Sean1875
29-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Will feel weird seeing Deano playing against us, always really liked him! And you can see whats coming, may aswell stick my next wage on Shiels anytime scorer when we play them :boo hoo:

.Sean.
29-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Gutted, one of my faves and really under appreciated by some. We're crying out for someone with his craft and guile.

Westie1875
29-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I'd have taken him back at Hibs, we are desperate for attacking players.

Judas Iscariot
29-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Gutted, one of my faves and really under appreciated by some. We're crying out for someone with his craft and guile.

:agree:

I said almost the exact same thing on a different post through the week..

greenlex
29-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Good luck to him.
I would like to think our signings will be of even better quality than Dean.

Barney McGrew
29-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Good luck to him.

51 starts in two and a half years at Donny Rovers is hardly stuff that will set the heather on fire. We should be aiming for better.

Hibby D
29-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Good luck to him.

Same here :agree: Loved him when he played for us but that was then and this is now. We've signed our quota of former players for this season (hopefully) so good luck if it proves to be the case that he's signed for Killie

Captain Trips
29-07-2011, 09:28 PM

51 starts in two and a half years at Donny Rovers is hardly stuff that will set the heather on fire. We should be aiming for better.

Agogo hasnt played that much in last 2 years at Cypriot and Egyptian clubs, Garry O has hardly played either, Indeed we should be aiming for better however stats wise we havent really signed that much better if at all.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Probably shows the quality we had at the time, that Deano was an in and out player for us. Probably the rose tinted glasses and fond memories and skipping over the inconsistencies, the step overs when a pass was on and a heart that a chicken would scoff at. Still a hero for cleaning out plooky.

Big Frank
29-07-2011, 09:33 PM

this.

good luck to him at Killie....

Jonnyboy
29-07-2011, 09:49 PM

Here's some of the proof that he was 'mince'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWU-86N94bc

Mikey
29-07-2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9aFmJPsP3I

Sir David Gray
29-07-2011, 10:04 PM

:agree: If these rumours are correct then Kilmarnock will have got themselves a cracking signing.

Dean Shiels was a fantastic player for us and I really admired him for getting to the level that he got to in his football career despite his significant disability. I thought he was really inspirational.

If he goes to Rugby Park then I wish him all the best at Kilmarnock, except against us of course.

3pm
29-07-2011, 10:04 PM

Where's the rest of the proof?! Anyone can knock a clip together of a few goals (I assume that's what it is?). I bet you were to blame for Zarabi, John! Passed the tape to Mixu and the rest is history! :o)

Saorsa
29-07-2011, 10:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWU-86N94bcThey goals were all mince though :wink: Wouldnae have minded a player like him in the last few years when you compare him tae the guff we have had, that's for sure. Wouldnae have minded him now.

Jonnyboy
29-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Where's the rest of the proof?! Anyone can knock a clip together of a few goals (I assume that's what it is?). I bet you were to blame for Zarabi, John! Passed the tape to Mixu and the rest is history! :o)

In ma heid :greengrin

Call me an old softy but there's so many threads on here just now that have negative elements I thought it might be nice just to concentrate on all of the good things Deano did in a Hibs shirt :agree:

bayhibs
29-07-2011, 10:41 PM

I look forward to the Martin Scott/Lewis Stevenson/Ian Murray etc goals reel. Good luck with that clip. Dean certainly had his faults but he would walk into our current team.

lucky
29-07-2011, 10:43 PM
He was an impact player at Hibs who flattered to deceive most of the time. His loss of an eye made him more popular than his footballing skill merited. But I wish him well at Killie

CallumLaidlaw
29-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Got frustrated with Deano at times. Had talent, and always tried but was a bit of a headless chicken. Some great memories of him tho, and that pic of him and Garry will forever be remembered

AllyF
29-07-2011, 10:54 PM
This makes me sad.

skyehibee
29-07-2011, 10:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Shiels

Says here that hes on a 6 month loan deal.

Broken Gnome
29-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Got frustrated with Deano at times. Had talent, and always tried but was a bit of a headless chicken. Some great memories of him tho, and that pic of him and Garry will forever be remembered

That's about right. Mind one of his latter games was at home to Killie, Mixu's nadir I seem to remember, humped 4-2 by ten men, Dean scored twice but was one of the worst games he'd ever had. Was best for both parties that he moved on. That said, he'd be of use to Hibs just to provide a link between midfield and attack and to spark some, y'know, movement.

Bishop Hibee
29-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Good signing for Killie. We have Ivan and Spoony in the right midfield/wing slot so I doubt he would have fitted in unless we played him as an attacking midfielder beyond the stiker(s).

He'll score goals from midfield, something we are lacking. We're lacking attempts on goal at he moment mind you.

SteveHFC
29-07-2011, 11:14 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14350997.stm
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14350997.stm)
Confirmed

Judas Iscariot
29-07-2011, 11:18 PM
He'd walk into our team right now :agree:

Anyone that thinks otherwise really needs to get out of RP's ass :ostrich:

Hibby D
29-07-2011, 11:37 PM

What a lot of disrespectful tosh :bitchy:

Sir David Gray
29-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Good signing for Killie. We have Ivan and Spoony in the right midfield/wing slot so I doubt he would have fitted in unless we played him as an attacking midfielder beyond the stiker(s).

He'll score goals from midfield, something we are lacking. We're lacking attempts on goal at he moment mind you.

With the way Wotherspoon has been playing for the last 18 months, Dean Shiels would be miles ahead of him in the pecking order.

DH1875
30-07-2011, 12:06 AM

Do you mean the likes of Agogo :rolleyes:. He might have struggled to get into the team when he was here but your kidding yourself on if you don't think he'd walk into our team now.
People can argue all they want about him being an impact player, but can the same not be said about Ivan :dunno:.

.Sean.
30-07-2011, 12:13 AM
He'd walk into our team right now :agree:Anyone that thinks otherwise really needs to get out of RP's ass :ostrich: Guarunteed mate, but you're fogetting he's no six foot nor built like a brick shirehouse so he'd bw wasted under the current incumbent.

smurf
30-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Good luck to Deano. At ER he would be a squad player. As he was before...

KWJ
30-07-2011, 12:43 AM
I'd say he's a striker before a midfielder. Some brilliant goals in that collection, his footwork and composure was brilliant.

The_Horde
30-07-2011, 02:20 AM
Loved Deano in his time with us. Wore his heart on his sleeve, scored some quality goals and gave us some superb memories. The Deano we know would definitely be an improvement on anything we have now.

We should, however, be looking to sign the NEXT Deano/Boozy/Zemmama/Killen etc, and not just resigning all the old squad.

All the best at Killie Deano (except against us) and i hope you put a few past that lot at crimecastle and maybe even give us a 'Deano Incident part II'. :not worth

marinello59
30-07-2011, 03:51 AM

Any need for that last comment?

marinello59
30-07-2011, 03:54 AM
Good luck to Deano. At ER he would be a squad player. As he was before...

One of my favourite players when he was here, great attitude and on his day could put in a superb performance. Hope he does well at Killie......but not against us. :greengrin

Gala Foxes
30-07-2011, 08:00 AM
all the best Deano - a guy that drives to Blackburn on a Wednesday night to watch his old club in a pre season friendly & sits with the Hibs fans deserves our best wishes

Bostonhibby
30-07-2011, 08:08 AM

Seen, and still seeing plenty of world class mince in my time watching Hibs and Dean Shiels ain't in that category, I think we are kidding ourselves on if we think we are somehow better without this type of player or that we have got better or our standards have risen since the time he left. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Killie with few of the apparent assetts we have look to be rebuilding quite cleverly. I know who my money will be on to score against us :wink:

ronaldo7
30-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Good luck Deano, as long as you remember the road to goals at Tiny:wink:

joe breezy
30-07-2011, 09:14 AM
A real good guy I've heard, good luck to him

McKenzie
30-07-2011, 09:24 AM
All the best deano, just no against us

3pm
30-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Seen, and still seeing plenty of world class mince in my time watching Hibs and Dean Shiels ain't in that category, I think we are kidding ourselves on if we think we are somehow better without this type of player or that we have got better or our standards have risen since the time he left. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Killie with few of the apparent assetts we have look to be rebuilding quite cleverly. I know who my money will be on to score against us :wink:

'Mince' is the wrong word to use. However, bar the odd glimpse, did he ever play to the level he did in his first season thereafter?!

1two
30-07-2011, 09:49 AM
He hates hearts
Therefore good luck to him

vercol36
30-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Good luck to Deano, was a great wee player for us, and put that pansy Gordon on his back. Hope our fans don't revert to booing him at the next Killie game, as is now custom against former players for some window lickers in the east.

Hibernian Verse
30-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Good luck to Deano, was a great wee player for us, and put that pansy Gordon on his back. Hope our fans don't revert to booing him at the next Killie game, as is now custom against former players for some window lickers in the east.

:greengrin aye it's a shame that they do tend to get boo'ed just because they've moved on in their careers. Even Stokes I don't think deserves it, but he only got it after scoring I suppose.

HibbyAndy
30-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Would have taken Shiels in a heartbeat at ER.

All the best Deano.

skipster7
30-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Good luck to him at Killie, imo he would walk into our team right now,clever player, great feet and a regular scorer from midfield.very composed in front of goal, in fact seems what weve been lacking for a wee while.i would rather have an inconsistant DS than the consistantly poor midfield of the last season or 2.A headless chicken couldn't score some of the class goals Deano did:agree:

blackpoolhibs
30-07-2011, 12:50 PM
He's one of my favorite players from that good side, sometimes he was poor but he always tried to create. He scored and made some great goals, yes it did not always come off, but he always tried the unexpected.

I'd rather have him than some of the robots we have now.

RickyS
30-07-2011, 12:59 PM
He's one of my favorite players from that good side, sometimes he was poor but he always tried to create. He scored and made some great goals, yes it did not always come off, but he always tried the unexpected.

I'd rather have him than some of the robots we have now.

Stevie Reid
30-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Said in a thread about former players a few weeks ago that it shows how strong we once were considering we let someone with his ability go for around £60K (I know length of contract remaining was an issue). Scored some fantastic goals for us and had intelligence and great technique.

I believe he would have made a world of difference to us at the moment. Chances of him scoring next weekend? :rolleyes:

nellyedinburgh
30-07-2011, 01:59 PM
take him back in a heartbeat far better than stevenson and scott would plat in this hibs tweam everyweek

blackpoolhibs
30-07-2011, 02:01 PM
take him back in a heartbeat far better than stevenson and scott would plat in this hibs tweam everyweek

I agree. :greengrin

NOLA
30-07-2011, 02:02 PM
good luck to Deano, met him a few times in ocean terminal, always happy to spraff, guaranteed to score against us

Sir David Gray
30-07-2011, 02:42 PM

I cannot imagine why any Hibs fan would want to boo Dean Shiels.

They have short memories if they do.

Beefster
30-07-2011, 03:13 PM
He's going there on a 6 month loan so Hibs wouldn't have taken him, even if offered.

Nando™
30-07-2011, 03:29 PM
I cannot imagine why any Hibs fan would want to boo Dean Shiels.

They have short memories if they do.
Maybe to unsettle the opposition?

Think about when Thierry Henry went back to the Emirates for Barcelona. The home fans cheered for him when he came on and sung his name, but as soon as he got the ball he was booed relentlessly.

hibsbollah
30-07-2011, 03:40 PM
switched on the bbc commentary in the car and they were raving about a bit of skill from deano.

hibsbollah
30-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Deano beats players, clean through but goes for glory ignoring wide open teammate and misses. Pundits not impressed.

vanNISHtelroy
30-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Little bit disappointed with him today, didn't seem to keen to pass to people and seemed like he wanted to take the pace out of the attack with constant step overs rather than playing the simple pass or taking on his man.

Westie1875
30-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Little bit disappointed with him today, didn't seem to keen to pass to people and seemed like he wanted to take the pace out of the attack with constant step overs rather than playing the simple pass or taking on his man.

He was a greedy wee bugger at times when at Hibs so this doesn't surprise me, sometimes it comes off for him and sometimes it doesn't. I'm sure his dad will be able to get the best out of him:agree:, no doubt against us. :rolleyes:

Franck Stanton
30-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Dont care what any other Hibby thinks about Deano, IMO he was a great servant to us and was always a player I enjoyed watching. Wish we had brought him back. Good luck at Killie wee man, have a great season.

SmokieJoe
30-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Took me 25 mins to get to the end of the clip, kept rewinding the v's yams goals, he was a quality player, i was surprised when he chucked it for Donny rovers.

Thanks for the link Jonnyboy:greengrin

Judas Iscariot
18-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Good luck to him.

What's your thoughts now?

Bishop Hibee
18-10-2011, 10:07 PM
What's your thoughts now?

He'll score goals from midfield, something we are lacking. We're lacking attempts on goal at the moment mind you.

I agree with myself and have my CV ready to hand in to RP in the morning :wink:

Scouse Hibee
18-10-2011, 10:19 PM

He wasn't mince far from it, but then again you could put a smilar thing together for Nish & Maka and make them look better, highlights are just that!

R'Albin
19-10-2011, 02:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9aFmJPsP3I

Back in the days when it was actually enjoyable watching Hibs, seems so long ago now..