PDA

View Full Version : New York

Haymaker
18-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I am off to New York on friday for the rest of the summer to coach football, thought I would ask and see if any .netters have any suggestions etc of where to go?

Haymaker
20-07-2011, 07:20 PM
:dunno: what? No good boozers/restaurants etc in New York then? No interesting things off the beaten track?

Barney McGrew
20-07-2011, 07:40 PM
I'd suggest doing the tourist bus tours that do the hop on/hop off thing. Sounds really cheesy, but it'll give you a very good grounding on where everything is and drops you off outside the main attractions. IIRC there's two or three loops, one takes you down to the tip of Manhattan/Battery Park where you get the boat over to Liberty Island if that takes your fancy (overrated IMO) and one takes you north up towards the Yankees Stadium.

It's worth remembering that the place is HUGE and you don't appreciate just how big until you get there.

How long are you out there for?

Haymaker
20-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Six weeks working till 3/4 every afternoon so plenty of time to wander round!

Barney McGrew
20-07-2011, 08:14 PM

Superb, enjoy it :aok:

I've been there four times, but we've stuck to the touristy and shopping areas when we've been there and TBH none of the places we went to stick out enough to remember what they were called. I'm sure you'll be able to get a bit more local knowledge working out there and find some decent bars and food.

Haymaker
20-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Superb, enjoy it :aok:

I've been there four times, but we've stuck to the touristy and shopping areas when we've been there and TBH none of the places we went to stick out enough to remember what they were called. I'm sure you'll be able to get a bit more local knowledge working out there and find some decent bars and food.

Cheers!

HH81
20-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I'd suggest doing the tourist bus tours that do the hop on/hop off thing. Sounds really cheesy, but it'll give you a very good grounding on where everything is and drops you off outside the main attractions. IIRC there's two or three loops, one takes you down to the tip of Manhattan/Battery Park where you get the boat over to Liberty Island if that takes your fancy (overrated IMO) and one takes you north up towards the Yankees Stadium.

It's worth remembering that the place is HUGE and you don't appreciate just how big until you get there.

Im going in October for 4 days on way back from Florida, thanks for the info. Are the tours quite expensive?

:thumbsup:

Westie1875
20-07-2011, 09:03 PM

You are so lucky, I would love to work in New York, even on a temporary basis.

Some suggestions things to do/see;

Boat trip around the island (circle line tours I think the company is called)
Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge
Top of the Rock - amazing views of central park from there
Magnolia Bakery (Mmmm cupcakes, and lots of other goodies)
John's Pizzeria near Time Square, amazing if you like your pizzas
Canal Street for shopping
Madison Square Garden tour (try to get to a game too if you can)
Ground zero, the new tower is pretty far on I think and the memorial is due to open soon
Central Park, go for a wander, the place is enormous
See some shows, they sell cheaper tickets from booths at Time Square for shows the same day

If you're a tennis fan the US Open starts at some point in August I think.

ArabHibee
20-07-2011, 09:49 PM
TBH Haymaker, when I went to New York, all I did was shop!!! Stuff seeing the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty, that's taking up valuable shopping time!!! :greengrin

P&D Windows
20-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Went to New York on honeymoon four years ago. Pretty much everything was amazing, probably because you feel like you're in a movie. We particularly enjoyed the Shake Shack (http://www.shakeshack.com/) in Madison Square Park for burgers and milkshakes out in the sun; the Spotted Pig (http://www.thespottedpig.com/) in Greenwich Village, a cosy wee "gastropub" which attracts a lot of celebrities (and I think is part-owned by Jay-Z); and Sylvia's (http://www.sylviasrestaurant.com/) in Harlem which specializes in soul-food, like cornbread, and chicken and dumplings.

Sure you'll find a few new places of your own too. Have fun!!

Haymaker
20-07-2011, 10:32 PM
probably because you feel like you're in a movie.

Lots of people have said that to me. Im definately going to try find the Ghostbusters building!

Cheers guys!

greenlex
21-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Lots of people have said that to me. Im definately going to try find the Ghostbusters building! Cheers guys! Give 118118 a call. They maybe be able to help you

ArabHibee
21-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Lots of people have said that to me. Im definately going to try find the Ghostbusters building! Cheers guys! 55 Central Park West is where its at!!!

Baba O'riley
21-07-2011, 12:31 PM
try this place for film/tv tours...

http://www.screentours.com/tour.php/manhattan/?gclid=CI-A1tq3kqoCFQIt3wodpiCUxg

DH1875
21-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Go and watch the Jets play the Bengals at the Meadowlands. It's Sunday 21 August with a 7pm kick off local time :thumbsup:. It's pre-season so tickets should be cheaper and easier to get.

Haymaker
22-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Go and watch the Jets play the Bengals at the Meadowlands. It's Sunday 21 August with a 7pm kick off local time :thumbsup:. It's pre-season so tickets should be cheaper and easier to get.

I will be supporting the Bengals! :greengrin

Hoping I have enough money to head to a great stadium, with a REAL football team, in Foxboro just outside Boston... You know, a team that has won some superbowls in the last 40 odd years..? :greengrin :wink:

DH1875
30-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Your a lucky duck. Ticket Stub have tickets starting at $10 for the game :top marks.

Do you like baseball? They got tickets for the Yankees games against the A's on the 23/24/25 August starting at $5. Do you know what, even if you don't like it I'd recommend you go along one night.

Haymaker
31-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Your a lucky duck. Ticket Stub have tickets starting at $10 for the game :top marks.

Do you like baseball? They got tickets for the Yankees games against the A's on the 23/24/25 August starting at $5. Do you know what, even if you don't like it I'd recommend you go along one night.

Fantastic! Cheers buddy, I might be going to a Mets game for free which will be fantastic, wish I had gone down to Yankees stadium tonight, they are on fire against Baltimore.

LamontHFC©
01-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm moving to New York tomorrow. :greengrin

So excited.

Cheers for all the heads up, defo going to go to the Jets Bengals game.

If there's a Hibs game on Haymaker, fancy meeting up to watch? if there'll be anywhere that shows them??

NYHibby
07-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I will be supporting the Bengals! :greengrin

Hoping I have enough money to head to a great stadium, with a REAL football team, ... You know, a team that has won some superbowls in the last 40 odd years..? :greengrin :wink:

The Giants?

LamontHFC©
08-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Anywhere to watch Hibs games that will be on TV?

Haymaker
09-08-2011, 02:58 AM
Anywhere to watch Hibs games that will be on TV?

A place called Nevada Smiths I believe shows all the footie, not sure when hibs will be on though! Me and the boys are heading to there to watch the Newcastle Sunderland game as we are with loads of Geordies... be warned though we will be with a Jambo *******! Disgrace I know.

Haymaker
09-08-2011, 02:58 AM
The Giants?

:greengrin

HibbyAndy
17-08-2011, 07:11 PM

You are so lucky, I would love to work in New York, even on a temporary basis.

Some suggestions things to do/see;

Boat trip around the island (circle line tours I think the company is called)
Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge
Top of the Rock - amazing views of central park from there
Magnolia Bakery (Mmmm cupcakes, and lots of other goodies)
John's Pizzeria near Time Square, amazing if you like your pizzas
Canal Street for shopping
Madison Square Garden tour (try to get to a game too if you can)
Ground zero, the new tower is pretty far on I think and the memorial is due to open soon
Central Park, go for a wander, the place is enormous
See some shows, they sell cheaper tickets from booths at Time Square for shows the same day

If you're a tennis fan the US Open starts at some point in August I think.

Went to New York on honeymoon four years ago. Pretty much everything was amazing, probably because you feel like you're in a movie. We particularly enjoyed the Shake Shack (http://www.shakeshack.com/) in Madison Square Park for burgers and milkshakes out in the sun; the Spotted Pig (http://www.thespottedpig.com/) in Greenwich Village, a cosy wee "gastropub" which attracts a lot of celebrities (and I think is part-owned by Jay-Z); and Sylvia's (http://www.sylviasrestaurant.com/) in Harlem which specializes in soul-food, like cornbread, and chicken and dumplings.

Sure you'll find a few new places of your own too. Have fun!!

Im off to New York the day after The Derby at Tynecastle (Deliberate :wink:) So the feedback from you guys are much appreciated :aok:

Ill be taking in the Tennis at Flushing Meadows also :agree: Cannae wait!. Seems like ive been waiting my whole life for this trip and now its just round the corner!

Hibby70
17-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Enjoy, been 10 years since i was there and itchin to go back after reading this.

ArabHibee
18-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Im off to New York the day after The Derby at Tynecastle (Deliberate :wink:) So the feedback from you guys are much appreciated :aok:Ill be taking in the Tennis at Flushing Meadows also :agree: Cannae wait!. Seems like ive been waiting my whole life for this trip and now its just round the corner!I knew posties got paid WAY too much!! :greengrin

HibbyAndy
21-08-2011, 12:22 PM
I knew posties got paid WAY too much!! :greengrin

Being a Postie in Penicuik ( Where we have our own weather off a brutal kind ) :greengrin..Deserves to be paid Handsomely And the fact that i have generous mates who buy all the rounds and your laughing :devil:

:hilarious :greengrin

surreyhibbie
21-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Heading there myself with Mrs Surreyhibbie, arrive just in time for the Derby and staying a week or so, sounds like a lot of fun, the place will be full of hibbies!

Well, not full exactly... :greengrin

HibbyAndy
27-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Pished the night, Derby tomorrow and NY on Monday..Cannot wait!! Am taking in the US Open at Flushing Meadows tae..Am happy as Larry!

Haymaker
27-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Pished the night, Derby tomorrow and NY on Monday..Cannot wait!! Am taking in the US Open at Flushing Meadows tae..Am happy as Larry!

Check your flights mate because my mum and dads have been cancelled for today. This hurricane is coming in hard for manhatten!

Sir David Gray
27-08-2011, 11:19 PM

Ya jammy sod.

Not that I'm jealous or anything! :greengrin

What days are you going and do you have any tickets booked yet?

deek
29-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Definitely do the hop on hop off bus tours. They now do one that takes you around Harlem, but they do lock the doors so no getting off there

Find the St.Andrews bar, that is good, it's off the Times Sq. area, between 6th and 7th avenue, 46th street. You will get used to the street and avenue names and can't get lost. Top of the Rock is better than the Empire State for views. Apple store on 5th is good if you are into that, there is also one down on 14th One of my favourites is Bryant Park, there is a Grill and bar there. Great for people watching. Like others have said, do the boat trip around Liberty Island but don't get off, you could also do the Statten Island ferry, that is free.

You will have a blast over there.

HibbyAndy
09-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Not long back from NY and i absolute loved it!! Had a total bawl.

Took in Andy Murray's game against Robin Hasse Last Friday night, Could not have picked a better match to pick for my Tennis debut, Storming back from 2 sets to love down :thumbsup:

Manhatten is a seriously seriously massive place, Didnt quite manage to get round it all but seen enough.

Jumped in the yellow taxis as ive always seen them in the film and wanted to say i tried it :greengrin Got him to drop me off at 42nd street then spent 2 hours in 4 shops :Ummm:

I done the boat trip around Liberty island and was just taken aback by things you see on the telly all the time but here you get to see it in real life for what it is, I went to the Empire state building and it was awrite.

Took a walk through Central perk to see if i could see Jen Anniston but nae such luck :greengrin

Was in and out of pubs clubs bars all week, You name it i did it..

NY Really is place that has it all, You can get what you want When you want ANY time of the day, ANY time of the night.

Spent a fair whack, I can now add NY to places ive grew up wanting to visit.

Has to be done, Go for it.

scotia44
09-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Great read love to go and hoping to go in the new year :aok:

Don't wan't to pry or be rude Andy but what kinda money are we talking about

I have been searching and a week is coming in at around £1200 is that dear or normal :confused:
Flight& Hotel that is
or should I try booking them seperate
Help and advice would be appreciated :aok:

HibbyAndy
09-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Great read love to go and hoping to go in the new year :aok:

Don't wan't to pry or be rude Andy but what kinda money are we talking about

I have been searching and a week is coming in at around £1200 is that dear or normal :confused:
Flight& Hotel that is
or should I try booking them seperate
Help and advice would be appreciated :aok:

Yep , Thats about right mate..I paid pretty much the same for Flight & Hotel.. Maybe other will know if its actually cheaper to just get the flight then accommodation when your over there :dunno:

Go for it mate..Get saving up :agree:

Another thing, Every other shop is a doughnut shop and you can buy them for next to nothing :aok:

scotia44
09-09-2011, 03:59 PM
cheers for that and it one of those things to see before you die:agree: