PDA

View Full Version : BSc Computing Science

Dinkydoo
04-07-2011, 09:04 PM
As some of you on here probably already know, I am currently undertaking a HNC in Computing and a MCDST qualification over two years, on day release format.

The area of Computing which interests me most (but not explicitly) is Development - Systems Development to be more specific - and upon successful completion of my 2nd year, I will be looking to undertake a BSc in Computing - once the HNC is achieved I'll have the appropiate qualifications to begin the degree (or at least apply for the degree and undertake, depending on the level of competition for places).

My only slight concern is that I left school after 5th year, 4 years ago, and haven't really had much mathematical experience since - and I understand that the foundation of pretty much every component in a Computer, and every field in the Computing profession is mathematical.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone on here - who have completed the degree themselves - could advise me as to what prior knowledge of mathematics is required and would be essential to undertake this degree.

I have approximately a year (if everything 'goes to plan') to prepare for this which, based on the fact that I do have a reasonable level of understanding of algebra - and how to use it to solve prolems - I would imagine is sufficient.

Any advice (a particular area of maths to study, a good book....anything! :greengrin) would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone is able to give.