3. London, England
4. Barcelona, Spain
5. Prague, Czech Republic
6. Venice, Italy
7. St. Petersburg, Russia
8. Florence, Italy
9. Edinburgh, Scotland
10. Istanbul, Turkey

Number 9, fair doos, but the Top-rated things to do seem a bit dubious, particularly the tours????

Attractions
1 Xtreme Karting Edinburgh (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186525-d2149157-Reviews-Xtreme_Karting_Edinburgh-Edinburgh_Scotland.html) 29 reviews :wtf:
2 Camera Obscura and World of Illusi... (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186525-d213416-Reviews-Camera_Obscura_and_World_of_Illusions-Edinburgh_Scotland.html) 200 reviews
3 Royal Yacht Britannia (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186525-d187652-Reviews-Royal_Yacht_Britannia-Edinburgh_Scotland.html) 122 reviews

Tours
1 The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish High... (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186525-d1783400-Reviews-The_Hairy_Coo_Free_Scottish_Highlands_Tour-Edinburgh_Scotland.html) 336 reviews :dunno:
2 Afternoon Tea Tours (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186525-d1575422-Reviews-Afternoon_Tea_Tours-Edinburgh_Scotland.html) 52 reviews :dunno:
3 Scottish Routes Day Tours (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186525-d1813095-Reviews-Scottish_Routes_Day_Tours-Edinburgh_Scotland.html) 23 reviews :dunno:

So a tourist (mappy) comes up to you and says they want to do something usual and something a bit unusual in Edinburgh. What two choices would you give them?

Usual – Mary Kings Close :aok:

Unusual – lunch outside the Last Drop watching the world go by (all afternoon) (and early evening) :party:

Beefster
28-06-2011, 03:45 PM
I think that we forget how great a city Edinburgh is sometimes because we see it all the time. It's got tons of history, some of the architecture is special, art galleries a plenty and great pubs and restaurants all over the place.

Can you imagine if your closest city was somewhere like Hull or even Birmingham?

heretoday
29-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Doesn't say much for Istanbul.

Dinkydoo
29-06-2011, 12:01 PM
I've never really found Trip Advisor to be a very reliable source of information if I'm honest.....

Phil D. Rolls
29-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Usual - open top bus tour.
Unusual - Craigmillar Castle

Hibrandenburg
29-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Can't believe Berlin is not on that list.

LancashireHibby
29-06-2011, 05:54 PM
I've never really found Trip Advisor to be a very reliable source of information if I'm honest.....

Had a look at it before I went to Toulouse for a few days last week and in fairness everything on there about my hotel and a few restaurants were absolutely spot on, and I've added my own reviews as a result.

Calvin
01-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Istanbul is far better than Edinburgh, probably the best place I've been - not to say that I'd prefer to live there though.

I'm also surprised that Berlin isn't there.

lyonhibs
01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
That that heap called "London" gets on there but neither Berlin nor Lyon (biaised - moi??!!! :greengrin) do is a bit of a head scratcher.

Lisbon as well.

Frazerbob
01-07-2011, 12:02 PM
I can't believe Rome is number 2. Been to Italy a few times and every city I've visited is disgustingly dirty, disgustingly expensive and the people are even less friendly than Londoners.

SlickShoes
01-07-2011, 02:23 PM
I can't believe Rome is number 2. Been to Italy a few times and every city I've visited is disgustingly dirty, disgustingly expensive and the people are even less friendly than Londoners.

I expected that when i went to rome, i found the people pleasant, the food and drink was pretty reasonable and there was free water around the city in the height of summer from fountains. It was a great holiday!

AllyF
02-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Rome is my favourite out of that lot.

Hopefully go inter-railing next year and check out the ones I've missed, heard great things about Prague.

ArabHibee
02-07-2011, 06:15 PM

Which cities did you visit? I loved Italy when I went there, thought all the cities I visited were very clean and the people great.

degenerated
02-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Can't believe Berlin is not on that list.

im surprised at that too :agree: i've been about 5 times for a week at a time and still haven't seen everything i want to and will be back again in the not too distant i imagine

Removed
02-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Which cities did you visit? I loved Italy when I went there, thought all the cities I visited were very clean and the people great.

Sure you're not get confused with Switzerland :faf:

Westie1875
02-07-2011, 07:12 PM

I agree, visited most of the main cities in Italy and the nicest (and cleanest) place IMO was Verona. Venice in particular was filthy.

Food and drink amazing though, and the ice cream is something else. :greengrin

marinello59
02-07-2011, 07:18 PM

I love Italy in general and think Rome is superb. Mind you after living in Aberdeen for so long it doesn't take that much to impress me. :greengrin

Nuitdelune
02-07-2011, 07:19 PM
I agree, visited most of the main cities in Italy and the nicest (and cleanest) place IMO was Verona. Venice in particular was filthy.

Food and drink amazing though, and the ice cream is something else. :greengrin

Surprised at that--I went to Venice expecting it to be filthy but thought it was great especially as I had nowhere to stay for two nights and slept in the random outside. No problems, no-one bothered me. Too hot, of course, but then I am a temperate climate dame

ArabHibee
02-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Sure you're not get confused with Switzerland :faf:

Shut it, you.

Frazerbob
04-07-2011, 08:58 AM

Milan, Rome and Bari. Of the three, Bari was by far the best and Milan THE most unfriendly and dirty city I've ever visited. Had the mis-fortune of staying there for a week.

Rome wasn't helped by a taxi strike and the worst public transport known to man. The busses stoped at 11pm despite the taxi strike and the gig I was at at the Olypmic Stadium finished at 11.30pm. There was no way for 60,000 fans to get home and we were staying at the opposite side of the city. It was like a scene from a disaster movie with thousands of folk sleeping rought around the stadium.

ArabHibee
04-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Milan, Rome and Bari. Of the three, Bari was by far the best and Milan THE most unfriendly and dirty city I've ever visited. Had the mis-fortune of staying there for a week.
Rome wasn't helped by a taxi strike and the worst public transport known to man. The busses stoped at 11pm despite the taxi strike and the gig I was at at the Olypmic Stadium finished at 11.30pm. There was no way for 60,000 fans to get home and we were staying at the opposite side of the city. It was like a scene from a disaster movie with thousands of folk sleeping rought around the stadium.
Fair enough. I didn't visit any of those cities.

Since90+2
04-07-2011, 06:18 PM

Would agree with that :agree:

The place was filthy and the people not exactly friendly. Its the only Italian city ive been to so not sure if its like other cities.

Has anyone been to Naples? Its a city ive always wanted to visit.

Removed
04-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Fair enough. I didn't visit any of those cities.

:faf: are you sure

ArabHibee
04-07-2011, 08:43 PM
:faf: are you sure