PDA

View Full Version : Question What an I ;-)

Jack
21-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Taken from an article in an American ‘newspaper’ with the subject xxxxxx’d out.

Bite into a succulent xxxxxx: The crisp exterior crackles, the filling is rich and spicy, and -- if your eating manners are anything like mine -- probably a little savory juice dribbles down your chin.

We've been eating xxxxxx for at least 5,000 years, and nearly every country and culture has them in some version. The word itself comes from the Latin for salt, as salt was the original preservative. Many cities have given their names to their xxxxxx specialties: Lyons, Frankfurt, Vienna, Bologna, Arles, Genoa.

Whatever we call them, these savory, meaty parcels are a stalwart example of the whole being more than the sum of its parts. Xxxxxx is little more than a humble mixture of chopped odds and ends, stuffed into a piece of, well, intestine. Yet cook it up, bite into it and you have a mouthful of paradise.

Though most xxxxxxs are stuffed into a thin skin, some remain free-form; other xxxxxxs, such as the Italian ?????????, are stuffed into less-usual containers such as a pigs foot. Xxxxxxs may be fresh or dried, smoked or unsmoked, fully cooked and ready to eat -- or absolutely raw and needing the assistance of the grill or soup pot.

Traditionally, xxxxxxs have been made with fatty cuts of meat -- fat makes a xxxxxx moist and juicy, and doubles as preservative. Until recently, eating xxxxxxs meant eating a high-fat food.

Best of all, just like their weightier counterparts, today's new xxxxxxs are quick and easy to prepare -- a boon for the cook who's facing the stove at the end of a busy day.

Most xxxxxxs are excellent simply cooked in a pan or over a grill until browned on the outside but still juicy within, then plopped between the covers of some sort of bread or roll. When making xxxxxx sandwiches at home, choose bread and condiments according to your xxxxxx.

Indeed, xxxxxx not only makes a meal, it can make a celebration as well. Toss a big selection of xxxxxx onto the grill, set out piles of rolls as well as bowls of mustards, roasted peppers, sauerkraut, chutneys, chopped onions, chiles and pickled peppers. Pour a glass of lager or mineral water, put your feet up, and wait for dinner.

How far did you go before you guessed in was a sausage?

ArabHibee
21-06-2011, 05:03 PM
How far did you go before you guessed in was a

Didn't even have to read it because your answer comes up when you hover over the thread title before clicking on it to read it. :wink::greengrin

Jack
21-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Didn't even have to read it because your answer comes up when you hover over the thread title before clicking on it to read it. :wink::greengrin

Bugger! I'llhave to remember that if I do something similar in future :-(