PDA

View Full Version : Walter Smith - the footballing years

Mark_K
07-06-2011, 07:42 PM
just curious with them showing the programme about walter if you think they'll consider having eddie turnbull or any other hibs great on the show?

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Very much doubt it, not weegie related!

Spike Mandela
07-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I'd sooner watch River City in fact I am.

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2011, 07:48 PM
You would think the programme would have the correct number of the Liverpool fans that perished at Hillsborough! Unless their excuse is that the 96th victim died much later (Tony Bland)

soupy
07-06-2011, 07:48 PM
No chance, he would have to have managed one of the bigot brothers, they'll probably have to have a programme about Martin oneill just to even the score .

HibbyAndy
07-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Id rather watch Emmerdale!!!!..................

Oh yeah i do, :greengrin Shame Jackson is deid.

Jonnyboy
07-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Would rather not watch the vomit inducing toadying that's bound to go on in celebrating the life of Sir Walter

vanNISHtelroy
07-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Watched it cos I thought I would get to see Ally Mitchell ending ten in a row...but guess I'll need to watch next week :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
07-06-2011, 09:56 PM
wasnt interested in watching RTV, i wonder what kind of manager uncle walt would have been managing a club with not a lot of financial resources though :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2011, 10:03 PM
wasnt interested in watching RTV, i wonder what kind of manager uncle walt would have been managing a club with not a lot of financial resources though :rolleyes:

Everton!

cabbageandribs1875
07-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Everton!

what about them ? am thinking more along the lines of a livingston or brechin city :agree:

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2011, 10:20 PM
what about them ? am thinking more along the lines of a livingston or brechin city :agree:

:rolleyes:

The Harp
07-06-2011, 10:42 PM
just curious with them showing the programme about walter if you think they'll consider having eddie turnbull or any other hibs great on the show?

Wouldn't hold your breath waiting on that one ... aint gonna happen.
Some of the contributors on this (Durrant and Brown in particular) shouldn't really be shown before the water shed. After watching that I'll be sleeping wi' the light on ... :eek:

Stevie Reid
08-06-2011, 09:38 AM

I used to not rate Smith as a manager, and thought he was found out when he went to Everton, especially when Davie Moyes got them to 4th place in his first season.

But we saw what he was really about when he managed Scotland, taking us from where we were under Vogts to 14th in the world was nothing short of a miracle. And whilst the wages on offer at Ibrox would still have been more than decent, he's hardly been able to sign a player since he returned to Ibrox, and has done an excellent job.

I have no problem with Smith at all, has had huge success at the club he supported and in the last few years has always come across as gracious and honest in interviews (the incident with Mixu aside!).

ScottB
08-06-2011, 12:56 PM
I used to not rate Smith as a manager, and thought he was found out when he went to Everton, especially when Davie Moyes got them to 4th place in his first season.

But we saw what he was really about when he managed Scotland, taking us from where we were under Vogts to 14th in the world was nothing short of a miracle. And whilst the wages on offer at Ibrox would still have been more than decent, he's hardly been able to sign a player since he returned to Ibrox, and has done an excellent job.

I have no problem with Smith at all, has had huge success at the club he supported and in the last few years has always come across as gracious and honest in interviews (the incident with Mixu aside!).

Aye pretty much what I think.

Despite it all I'd take him back as Scotland manager. Would be a country mile better than that moron Levein anyway.

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Have not watched it, but caught trailer where they had access to his final year in charge....Nothing like this would have happened in ET's tenure, but would love to see a programme about his playing and managerial days....

ELZ1875
08-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Still dont rate him highly.

Scotlands position prior to Smith was lower than what we deserved, i mean we had decent enough players, just Vogts was terrible.
What he done with Scotland came from experience.

As for Rangers, 1st time around he couldnt go wrong, second time, all he had to do was beat the smaller teams, which with their budget they should still do. OF games are the same as any derby, form book is out the window.
Im sure he signed a couple of players, coupled with the fact that Celtic werent exactly great last season, i dont think he has ever done anything extraordinary.

The Modfather
08-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Aye pretty much what I think.

Despite it all I'd take him back as Scotland manager. Would be a country mile better than that moron Levein anyway.
He can beat it. Judas b*wbag. Walked out in the middle of a campaign where we were a bawhair away from at least a play off place.

He was extremely fortunate Mcleish managed to keep the momentum going. That's not to say he didn't do a great job when he was there, but a Judas rat in my book.

sixtwo
08-06-2011, 08:48 PM
He can beat it. Judas b*wbag. Walked out in the middle of a campaign where we were a bawhair away from at least a play off place.

He was extremely fortunate Mcleish managed to keep the momentum going. That's not to say he didn't do a great job when he was there, but a Judas rat in my book.

People have suggested that there should be a position made at the sfa for him. Personally, I think he should bugger off to england, overseas or retire all together. His ties with rangers, his petty feuds with celtic (particularly the snipe as he was leaving) and the manner in which he left the national team, would make him a bad choice.