PDA

View Full Version : The Garry O'Connor Mega Thread (244 Threads Merged)

Pedantic_Hibee
29-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Rumours doing the rounds he's signing tomorrow.

Anyone heard anything?

stokesmessiah
29-05-2011, 10:59 AM
As much as i would like Gary O'Connor the player back...im not sure about taking Gary O'Connor back.

HibbyAndy
29-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Id take Garry O'connor in a heart beat.

scoopyboy
29-05-2011, 11:21 AM

Anyone heard anything?

Pedantic, I've heard there are two rs in Garry.

How pedantic is that as a reply?

Golden Bear
29-05-2011, 11:21 AM
GarrY O'Connor present may not be the same player as Garry O'Connor past.

He'd be too much of a gamble IMO.

lucky
29-05-2011, 11:29 AM
I hope not. It appears he is off the rails.

Franck is God
29-05-2011, 11:29 AM
if he was willing to accept a moderate wage for a one year deal to find his fitness and form and help us have a good season while putting himself back in the shop window for a bigger move next summer I'd be happy to see him sign.

That way if it doesn't work out we don't have a huge wage not contributing and if it were to work then well have one of the best strikers Scotland has for a season at least.

Pedantic_Hibee
29-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Pedantic, I've heard there are two rs in Garry.

How pedantic is that as a reply?

Pretty pedantic, I have to say. Ultimately though, you're spot on and I stand corrected. You win :greengrin

Frazerbob
29-05-2011, 11:33 AM
What sort of message would signing Garry O'Connor send to our young supporters. Really can't see it happening TBH.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I heard he was in for talks, but stormed out in the huff at the offer????:wink:

He was going to clear his locker and say goodbye, but then he remembered...............

Mikey
29-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Garry O'Connor the footballer would be a great signing. Not sure about the baggage though!

Brooster
29-05-2011, 11:41 AM
There is every chance this will happen.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-05-2011, 11:48 AM
If it came down to a question of finance, I would rather give a contract to Vaz Te. Could be that I am being too hard on the boy, but getting yourself on the front of the papers rather than the back is no overly clever. Sceptic in me thinks that he can make as much of an erse of himself as he likes because he can always sign on with Hibs again.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2011, 11:48 AM

I hope so, if he still has the fire in his belly and can stay fit, i'm all for him coming back.

I'm fed up with us having a team full of nice guys who are just not very good. It seems all the best players we can attract are flawed in one way or another, If thats the case and we start winning with Garry, then so be it.

Fed up watching losers, and dont give a toss what the kids might think, which i believe is sod all, especially if he starts knocking them in.

Franck is God
29-05-2011, 11:50 AM
What sort of message would signing Garry O'Connor send to our young supporters. Really can't see it happening TBH.

There's lots of players over the years that have had issues out side of football with gambling, alcohol abuse & drugs.

Dumping them completely is not the answer and thats certainly not the message that I would want young football fans to see and hear.

Westie1875
29-05-2011, 11:50 AM

As much as I would love to see the old Garry back in a Hibs shirt I have real reservations about what we've heard recently about his private life. I hope any contract is offered on the basis of him cleaning up his act.

Brooster
29-05-2011, 11:54 AM
I hope so, if he still has the fire in his belly and can stay fit, i'm all for him coming back.

I'm fed up with us having a team full of nice guys who are just not very good. It seems all the best players we can attract are flawed in one way or another, If thats the case and we start winning with Garry, then so be it.

Fed up watching losers, and dont give a toss what the kids might think, which i believe is sod all, especially if he starts knocking them in.
:not worth
Spot on mate, I'm also fed up with Hibs being a soft touch. We need folk that can dig deep and fight like **** - Stack and Sproule fall into that category as does O'Connor............Vaz te couldnt even if his life depended on it.

Dashing Bob S
29-05-2011, 11:56 AM
]What sort of message would signing Garry O'Connor send to our young supporters[/B]. Really can't see it happening TBH.

Quite a few: play football, train hard, chase fit birds, enjoy wild nights on the town, go to Russia, make a fortune, play the EPL, chase fit birds, enjoy wild nights on the town...

SaudiHibby
29-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Some people on here would reject Ryan Giggs because of loose morals :rolleyes: He is better than Sodje even when on the charlie :agree:

Don Giovanni
29-05-2011, 11:57 AM
There's lots of players over the years that have had issues out side of football with gambling, alcohol abuse & drugs.

Dumping them completely is not the answer and thats certainly not the message that I would want young football fans to see and hear.

Indulging them isn't the answer either but I take your point.

SaudiHibby
29-05-2011, 11:59 AM
:not worth
Spot on mate, I'm also fed up with Hibs being a soft touch. We need folk that can dig deep and fight like **** - Stack and Sproule fall into that category as does O'Connor............Vaz te couldnt even if his life depended on it.

Sorry I read that as Des O'Connor :greengrin

stokesmessiah
29-05-2011, 12:02 PM

He was going to clear his locker and say goodbye, but then he remembered...............

:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2011, 12:04 PM

:faf: Probably still an improvement. :greengrin

jonny
29-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole following the bad publicity surrounding his drug habit.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole following the bad publicity surrounding his drug habit.

You got a link to that article?

Pedantic_Hibee
29-05-2011, 12:14 PM

:tee hee:

jonny
29-05-2011, 12:30 PM

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/05/17/scotland-footballer-garry-o-connor-arrested-by-cocaine-bust-police-86908-23136326/

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/scotland-international-garry-oconnor-arrested-over-cocaine-possession-2285208.html

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Scotland-striker-Garry-O-Connor-arrested-on-cocaine-charge-article737178.html

http://www.sports-world.info/birmingham-striker-garry-oconnor-arrested-due-cocaine-suspicion/2601/

plus many, many more.

iwasthere1972
29-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I would rather we sign the policeman who managed to catch him recently despite being laden down with full uniform, handcuffs, incapacitant spray, baton, radio, taser, Big Mac and double fries and notebook.

Andy74
29-05-2011, 12:32 PM

Agree with all that. Folk on here wouldn't have taken George Best in his prime.

jonny
29-05-2011, 12:36 PM

I don't think thats a fair comparison,

George Best in his prime was no doubt one of the greatest footballers to grace the earth.
Garry O'Connor is a bit of a journeyman who had a good early spell at Hibs, went onto to Russia where it didn't quite work out, then to Birmingham where he only played occasionally and then onto Barnsley where he didn't impress and was released.

matty_f
29-05-2011, 12:36 PM

:agree: we don't need a role model, we need a goal scorer.

Vini1875
29-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I think a year deal would be good for Garry and Hibs. Whatever his problems are he should be given a chance to sort them out. Many people get into a mess and then with help sort themselves out. i would welcome G O'C back.

Houchy
29-05-2011, 12:38 PM

He's being brought in to help the 12th man with new songs:agree:

erin go bragh
29-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Stokes and o"connor up front then ?
yes fin please
ggtth

essexhibee
29-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Not convinced it would be worthwhile bringing him back. Is he anywhere near the player he once was? Theres nothing of note in the past few years to convince me he is. He will want good money and I don't think it would be a good move for hibs to pay decent money to someone has a drug habit. :confused:

HibbyAndy
29-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Agreed Matty :agree:

Andy74
29-05-2011, 12:46 PM

George Best in his prime was no doubt one of the greatest footballers to grace the earth.
Garry O'Connor is a bit of a journeyman who had a good early spell at Hibs, went onto to Russia where it didn't quite work out, then to Birmingham where he only played occasionally and then onto Barnsley where he didn't impress and was released.

I think it's clear I was talking about off field behaviour.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2011, 12:53 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/05/17/scotland-footballer-garry-o-connor-arrested-by-cocaine-bust-police-86908-23136326/

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/scotland-international-garry-oconnor-arrested-over-cocaine-possession-2285208.html

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Scotland-striker-Garry-O-Connor-arrested-on-cocaine-charge-article737178.html

http://www.sports-world.info/birmingham-striker-garry-oconnor-arrested-due-cocaine-suspicion/2601/

plus many, many more.

None tell me anything about his drug habit, just he was arrested then released. No charges have been served, or have i got that wrong too?

Kaiser1962
29-05-2011, 12:57 PM

Ah well.....he might come crawlin back.:greengrin

Franck is God
29-05-2011, 01:02 PM

A bit harsh is it not, he had a very good start to his career at Hibs. Did very well in Russia including scoring the only goal to win their cup final. His family didn't settle there so he moved to Birmingham where he again did very well until injuries got in the way and to try and get his fitness and form back signed a short deal with Barnsley.

Hardly qualifies him as a washed up journeyman pro

TamHibs
29-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Without having read the rest of this thread i apologise if already said. At first when I heard of O'Connor being caught with drugs my first instinct was don't want him near the club but now I think he may have a point to prove & may be worth offering a 12 month deal to. I hope Garry would see this as his last chance saloon scenario and hopefully knuckle down, get back to fitness & score the goals (alongside Rooney :wink:) to have us challenging for a european spot next season.

Sorry if that isn't D&G enough for this thread :wink:

nickwhibs
29-05-2011, 01:29 PM

Exactly. We aren't in the position to be picky about players who have had off-field problems. Hibs need to sort out their on-field problems - and I think G'OC will help on that front.

Springbank
29-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Stokes and o"connor up front then ?
yes fin please
ggtth

Hell yeah, and if it helped the hand-wringers to sleep more comfortably, I will personally cheer every one of their inevitable 60 goals next season on your behalf

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Hell yeah, and if it helped the hand-wringers to sleep more comfortably, I will personally cheer every one of their inevitable 60 goals next season on your behalf

:faf::faf::faf: :top marks

jonny
29-05-2011, 01:50 PM
None tell me anything about his drug habit, just he was arrested then released. No charges have been served, or have i got that wrong too?

perhaps your being a bit naive here, he ran off from police and was caught with a packet of white powder. The police carried out a field test which was positive for cocaine, GO denied what it was so the powder has to be sent off for full analysis before he's charged. If he admitted what it was he wouldve been charged at the time.
Or maybe he was just keeping it for somebody....

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2011, 01:55 PM
perhaps your being a bit naive here, he ran off from police and was caught with a packet of white powder. The police carried out a field test which was positive for cocaine, GO denied what it was so the powder has to be sent off for full analysis before he's charged. If he admitted what it was he wouldve been charged at the time.
Or maybe he was just keeping it for somebody....

Ah judge and jury all in one. Well done.

yekimevol
29-05-2011, 02:28 PM
come home garry and clean up your ur act !

:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa

The Green Goblin
29-05-2011, 02:38 PM
GOC probably doesn`t have many options on the table right now, and few people will be willing to give him a hand back up, so it makes sense that Hibs are now probably one of his only ways out of the mess he is in career-wise.

Without these recent revelations, GOC would probably have had eyes only for Celtic, as Hibs couldn`t have matched any offer they made, but now it`s a lifeline for him. It`s good for Hibs too, obviously. They can make an offer within their wage limit and have very little to lose.

The only question is - once he has got himself sorted out, will he do a "Caldwell" and use Hibs as a stepping stone to another club?

GG

The Falcon
29-05-2011, 02:41 PM
GOC probably doesn`t have many options on the table right now, and few people will be willing to give him a hand back up, so it makes sense that Hibs are now probably one of his only ways out of the mess he is in career-wise.

Without these recent revelations, GOC would probably have had eyes only for Celtic, as Hibs couldn`t have matched any offer they made, but now it`s a lifeline for him. It`s good for Hibs too, obviously. They can make an offer within their wage limit and have very little to lose.

The only question is - once he has got himself sorted out, will he do a "Caldwell" and use Hibs as a stepping stone to another club?

GG

Why wouldnt he?

ScottB
29-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Only if he can pass an extensive medical and a drug test, with the understanding he is out on his ass should he persist with his night time habits.

Though personally, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the club.

ScottB
29-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Exactly. We aren't in the position to be picky about players who have had off-field problems. Hibs need to sort out their on-field problems - and I think G'OC will help on that front.

It could be argued off field problems ultimately become on field problems...

jonny
29-05-2011, 02:52 PM

completely agree scott. Garry was great 1st time round but id much rather we set our sights elsewhere for now

Green&White
29-05-2011, 02:52 PM
As a lot of people have already said. I would like the football player at hibs, BUT...

I no for a fact that Garry O had a drugs problem when he was first at hibs along with heavy drinking. How many years ago was that? If he hasn't changed now or even it's got worse he ain't ever goIng to!

I think there is a attitude problem with players at hibs as it is never mind with A "big shot" with a drugs problem thrown in.

Sorry, for me it's thanks for the good times u once gave u's Garry but no thanks

Kevster81
29-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Do u honestly think he is the only player to be caught with the white powder give the boy a break he was stupid enough to get caught but I bet there's a few hibs players dabbling in the nose candy and the position we are in we cannot be to choosey cone hone gary yes please him and Rooney would be a fantastic duo up front

Kaiser1962
29-05-2011, 03:03 PM

They do if not handled correctly. Certain managers can handle unsettled/unhappy/disruptive staff but mostly it goes lumpy.
Beggars and choosers and all that, I'd give him a go.

Pedantic_Hibee
29-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Do u honestly think he is the only player to be caught with the white powder give the boy a break he was stupid enough to get caught but I bet there's a few Hearts players dabbling in the nose candy and the position we are in we cannot be to choosey cone hone gary yes please him and Rooney would be a fantastic duo up front

Fixed that for you.

Reaper
29-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Would be sceptical to see him back but not dissappointed, just as I won't be dissapointed to see him not coming back.

With regards to the recent activity, he'd be a shoe in to get a drugs test at some point, if it's positive he'll be banned from football like Mutu and combined with a possible looming court case where he may get found guilty - I'd like to think Petrie is a switched on enough businessman to include a clause in his contract stating that any of this affecting or preventing him playing for hibs will see his contract cancelled without compensation.

We'll see no doubt!

R'Albin
29-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Apparently quite a lot of footballers do drugs, it amazes me that they'd risk their footballing careers to do such a pointless habit. So many people would dream to be in their position but yet some players waste it by doing things like that.

PaulSmith
29-05-2011, 03:16 PM
listen if O'Connor and the Israeli striker Tomer Hemhed were to be our strike force next season I'd be delighted.

I see that Hibs mad already have Hemhed signed but he's also signed for Rangers as well on their 'Mad' site

http://www.hibs-mad.co.uk/maccabi_haifa/player/season_140/tomer_hemed_5045637/index.shtml

Franck Stanton
29-05-2011, 03:25 PM

Be honest, the kids will judge him on his performances ON the field, not how he behaves off it.

Ferryhibby
29-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Role model for our younger supporters......thats a giggle they younger supporters get the english prem stuffed down their throats every day with all the superstars, Terry,Cole, Giggs etc but these guys are still in a winnng side TBH if O'Connor came back i wouldnt care if he came on the pitch and started sniffing the white lines around the box as long as he stuck the ball in the net each week, been watching a goody two shoes team for the past few seasons get sodall maybe time we had some attitude back in our team.

ScottB
29-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Be honest, the kids will judge him on his performances ON the field, not how he behaves off it.

Why do people seem happy to see boozing / drug taking as something totally separate from a player on the field?

If a player is knocking back the pints and snorting up coke, it's going to have a negative effect on his abilities, his fitness and his health.

Never mind that they'd fail a drug test, then we find ourself with no player.

In any case, when it comes to drink, as long as they aint getting hammered all the time and rocking up to training drunk / hungover, it's their business, if that's the attitude they want to take to being a professional sportman, so be it. But coke and the like is illegal, if they'd rather be taking drugs then perhaps they should relocate to a career that isn't going to be testing them for it.

iwasthere1972
29-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Role model for our younger supporters......thats a giggle they younger supporters get the english prem stuffed down their throats every day with all the superstars, Terry,Cole, Giggs etc but these guys are still in a winnng side TBH if O'Connor came back i wouldnt care if he came on the pitch and started sniffing the white lines around the box as long as he stuck the ball in the net each week, been watching a goody two shoes team for the past few seasons get sodall maybe time we had some attitude back in our team.

:agree:

Youngsters? Role models should be their parents and not some guys they see for only 90 or so minutes a week kicking a fitba.

Get the lad signed. :aok:

The Green Goblin
29-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Why wouldnt he?

Quite. Why wouldn`t he? Nothing would surprise me less. Loyalty and gratitude for giving him a chance at the tail end of his career when others wouldn`t might be out of the question, but if he realised that and stayed, maybe for once he would find something more meaningful to commit to and believe in than the all important weekly wage packet and his destructive life-style habits?

GG

Greentinted
29-05-2011, 03:38 PM
I'd be interested to see what the phrase 'drug problem' means to the various commentators on this thread.

For me, I am not going to decry anyone who has a valid addiction but has made efforts to address and ultimately overcome their dependence. I am a drug addict (nicotine being my drug of choice) and I daresay there are many recreational drug users here who use their chosen drug more regularly than the footballer in question - but alcohol seems to be more acceptable when discussing 'drugs'.

I don't know GO'C personally and therefore I'm in no place to judge his well documented 'issues' and on those grounds alone I would be happy to see him playing (to his ability) at Easter Road.

Beefster
29-05-2011, 03:42 PM
I've said this before but some supporters would rather we were pish than sign 'flawed' talent. The treatment of Riordan (in his heyday), Stokes, Bamba and more prove that.

Rodders, Calderwood and co aren't idiots. If they do sign O'Connor, they'll have safeguards and rules in place for him.

Pedantic_Hibee
29-05-2011, 03:43 PM
I'd be interested to see what the phrase 'drug problem' means to the various commentators on this thread.

For me, I am not going to decry anyone who has a valid addiction but has made efforts to address and ultimately overcome their dependence. I am a drug addict (nicotine being my drug of choice) and I daresay there are many recreational drug users here who use their chosen drug more regularly than the footballer in question - but alcohol seems to be more acceptable when discussing 'drugs'.

I don't know GO'C personally and therefore I'm in no place to judge his well documented 'issues' and on those grounds alone I would be happy to see him playing (to his ability) at Easter Road.

:top marks

The Green Goblin
29-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Completely agree :top marks and made this point on here when the story first broke a few weeks ago.

GG

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2011, 03:53 PM
I've said this before but some supporters would rather we were pish than sign 'flawed' talent. The treatment of Riordan (in his heyday), Stokes, Bamba and more prove that.

Rodders, Calderwood and co aren't idiots. If they do sign O'Connor, they'll have safeguards and rules in place for him.

:top marks

ScottB
29-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Quite. Why wouldn`t he? Nothing would surprise me less. Loyalty and gratitude for giving him a chance at the tail end of his career when others wouldn`t might be out of the question, but if he realised that and stayed, maybe for once he would find something more meaningful to commit to and believe in than the all important weekly wage packet and his destructive life-style habits?

GG

The guy has a kid, if that doesn't make a person screw the nut, I wouldn't be holding out any hope that resigning for us would change him.

The Green Goblin
29-05-2011, 04:08 PM
The guy has a kid, if that doesn't make a person screw the nut, I wouldn't be holding out any hope that resigning for us would change him.

Good point.

GG

Kaiser1962
29-05-2011, 04:47 PM

GG

Football players are mercenaries and clubs cant carry passengers.

If we were to offer GOC a contract I would hope it would not take too much out of the budget given that it's quite a gamble on a whole host of fronts. If he does well then he will be looking for a better contract or a move. If he does really well then we wont have a hope in hell of keeping him just as if he is junk, causes bother or is always injured we will be trying to dump him ASAP. Thats life I'm afraid. As a former manager is reputed to have said "if ye want loyalty get a dug"

Franck Stanton
29-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Why do people seem happy to see boozing / drug taking as something totally separate from a player on the field?

If a player is knocking back the pints and snorting up coke, it's going to have a negative effect on his abilities, his fitness and his health.

Never mind that they'd fail a drug test, then we find ourself with no player.

In any case, when it comes to drink, as long as they aint getting hammered all the time and rocking up to training drunk / hungover, it's their business, if that's the attitude they want to take to being a professional sportman, so be it. But coke and the like is illegal, if they'd rather be taking drugs then perhaps they should relocate to a career that isn't going to be testing them for it.

At no point did I say I was happy with the fact he has [ allegedly ] been caught with drugs in his possession, and as far as I am concerned I personnally never have and would never take any , dont even take an asprin, dont drink/smoke. HIBERNIAN FC is my drug of choice, but at the end of the day if GOC or anyone, football player or not, chooses to dabble in drugs of any kind, then surely in a free society that we live in, that is up to them is it not? Yes some drugs are illegal and if a sportsman/footballer chooses to dabble then he, like every other member of society runs the risk of being caught and prossecuted. As for kids emulating him, gie's a break, what about all the other so-called "Roll - Models" out there, ? Film stars, music industry, EPL "Big - time Charlies", GOC and Hibs for that matter come way down the pecking order in that field .

MyJo
29-05-2011, 05:26 PM
after the season we've just had i honestly dont give a damn what our players get up to in their own time as long as they are doing the business on the pitch when it is required. our best players in recent times have all had their fair share of off-field antics. stokes liking the bevvy, riordan and his nightclub bans, bamba ****ging half of fife's female population, stack having a punch-up in a nighclub with a jambo if thats what we have to put up with to have the quality of player we need in the team then so be it

Baldy Foghorn
29-05-2011, 05:28 PM
A drinking culture is an unfortunate part of our game.....Players with time on their hands and disposable income might dabble in the powder....

Wonder how many Barcelona players go out on the lash after matches and snort powder, I would wager not many....Different mindset and therefore players at the top of their games, both physically and mentally....

ScottB
29-05-2011, 05:37 PM
At no point did I say I was happy with the fact he has [ allegedly ] been caught with drugs in his possession, and as far as I am concerned I personnally never have and would never take any , dont even take an asprin, dont drink/smoke. HIBERNIAN FC is my drug of choice, but at the end of the day if GOC or anyone, football player or not, chooses to dabble in drugs of any kind, then surely in a free society that we live in, that is up to them is it not? Yes some drugs are illegal and if a sportsman/footballer chooses to dabble then he, like every other member of society runs the risk of being caught and prossecuted. As for kids emulating him, gie's a break, what about all the other so-called "Roll - Models" out there, ? Film stars, music industry, EPL "Big - time Charlies", GOC and Hibs for that matter come way down the pecking order in that field .

I never mentioned squat about him being a role model.

We live in a free society, but one with laws. Dabbling in the powder, as you put it, is against one of those.

Our club takes our money and pays these guys to be at their peak performance, to put in an effort and play to the best of their abilities. A player who regularly (whether O'Connor does this a lot we don't know, but this is by no means the first story about him) takes cocaine is damaging his health, his fitness and his ability to perform. Therefore wasting our money.

This isn't the same as criticising players for boozing, which while stupid is perfectly legal.

If we were looking at a striker who'd barely kicked a ball in 2 seasons, had questionable fitness and had just been arrested by the cops on suspicion of drug taking, would anyone be clamoring for him?

BEEJ
29-05-2011, 06:03 PM
If we were looking at a striker who'd barely kicked a ball in 2 seasons, had questionable fitness and had just been arrested by the cops on suspicion of drug taking, would anyone be clamoring for him?
:agree: This sums it up for me.

If we could be guaranteed that he would deliver on the pitch then I can understand the clamour for his return. But there has been little or no evidence in recent seasons that he still has the ability that we remember him for.

Barney McGrew
29-05-2011, 06:13 PM
If we could be guaranteed that he would deliver on the pitch then I can understand the clamour for his return. But there has been little or no evidence in recent seasons that he still has the ability that we remember him for.

It would have been just as easy to write off Stokes when he arrived with us - good early career, he'd done nothing of note for some years and had some questionable extra curricular activities.

lucky
29-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Stokes scored a lot more goals than GOC. He may have issues but don't recall his issues involving drugs or abandoning a crashed car allegedly. As such was a lot less of a risk

DH1875
29-05-2011, 06:32 PM
I thought he was training with celtic :dunno:.

sleeping giant
29-05-2011, 06:33 PM
I thought he was training with celtic :dunno:.

He was !

Kaiser1962
29-05-2011, 06:33 PM
It would have been just as easy to write off Stokes when he arrived with us - good early career, he'd done nothing of note for some years and had some questionable extra curricular activities.

It would have been that's why it's a gamble.

ScottB
29-05-2011, 06:51 PM

Stokes had been playing, Stokes was fit, Stokes had not just been arrested.

The risk with Stokes was whether his off field crap would get in the way of his playing ability. It did. But his playing ability was never in question.

The risk with O'Connor is both taking a punt on whether he can control his off field behaviour, and also a risk whether or not he can still play to any decent level.

For me that's too much of a risk.

BEEJ
29-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Stokes scored a lot more goals than GOC. He may have issues but don't recall his issues involving drugs or abandoning a crashed car allegedly. As such was a lot less of a risk
:agree: That's it.

Bigger gamble than Stokes.

fatbloke
29-05-2011, 07:11 PM

Anyone heard anything?

Yes that it is a lot of ******.

matty_f
29-05-2011, 07:25 PM

As much as miller signing for the yams last week? :dunno:

TornadoHibby
29-05-2011, 07:52 PM

And more than likely has made rather a lot of serious money rather easily along the way! :rolleyes:

If only was like that for everyone eh? :wink: :confused:

LancashireHibby
29-05-2011, 08:00 PM
As long as his recreational activities make bugger all difference to his on-field performance and the atmosphere in the dressing room then I think it can only be a good signing.

WindyMiller
29-05-2011, 08:02 PM
As long as his recreational activities make bugger all difference to his on-field performance and the atmosphere in the dressing room then I think it can only be a good signing.

I'd be surprised if a player regularly sniffing coke could avoid doing that.

qiut
29-05-2011, 08:06 PM
ffs sign the guy

Kaiser1962
29-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Unless the manager/management is good enough to handle it, then it will. I would be more concerned about keeping him fit and interested to be honest. If drugs are an issue, and its a massive IF, the backroom staff would establish this very early doors and this regime would, I believe, deal with it very differently than their predecessors.

It's a gamble either way, but then they all are.

Mikeystewart
29-05-2011, 08:10 PM
As long as Garry O'Connor or any other player for that matter does not impact badly on their own performance or the teams performance as a result of their hobbies I don't care........................ but they will.

LancashireHibby
29-05-2011, 08:12 PM
I'd be surprised if a player regularly sniffing coke could avoid doing that.

Without a full list of the players who are guilty of it, it'd be hard to draw a judgement although it has been said in previous cases when players have been banned that it has neither a positive nor negative effect on performance. The problems may arise from if said player gets involved in the murky underworld that surrounds the supply of it etc.

One example I'd certainly cite though is an Australian rugby league player Andrew Johns who was arguably one of the best players of his generation and it was revealed after his retirement that he quite often took cocaine and ecstacy whilst still playing and it had zero effect on his playing ability.

allezsauzee
29-05-2011, 08:13 PM
If O'Connor has been abusing his body with drugs he's not going to have much left in the tank at his age. Coupled with the fact that he's been very injury prone it would be lunacy for Hibs to sign him. Total waste of a wage!

Pedantic_Hibee
29-05-2011, 08:22 PM

You may turn out to be right, but I can't take your opinion seriously I'm afraid. You lost all cool points with the Liam Miller fiasco.

I bought a Hearts top with Miller on the back :fuming:

The Falcon
29-05-2011, 08:26 PM

On the other hand if he does well we should consider giving the rest of them a couple of lines at kick off.

Macaroon
29-05-2011, 08:32 PM

I see what you are saying, being 15 I know that any 'kid' who is old/mature enough to care that a player has an alleged drug problem, is also mature enough to realise and appreciate that sometimes risks must be taken as they are what pay off the most if they work out.

I think Garry is a perfect representation of this, a one year deal on the grounds of cleaning up his apparently dirty act is the best option. It puts us in a very good standing up front, puts him back in the shop window if he performs to a high enough level and won't be too hefty on our wage bill.

Thats if the rumour is actually of any substance, obviously :na na:

ancient hibee
29-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Won't be a good deal if he ends up suspended after a test.

LancashireHibby
29-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Won't be a good deal if he ends up suspended after a test.

Then we rip up his contract and have only paid out whilst he's been available to us.

ancient hibee
29-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Then we rip up his contract and have only paid out whilst he's been available to us.
And then we're minus a striker-wonderful.

3pm
29-05-2011, 08:46 PM

It will be written into his contract that he has to fail the test during the January transfer window.

LancashireHibby
29-05-2011, 08:48 PM

And then we see if we can sign a free agent as we did with Vaz Te? O'Connor's ability is worth the risk of him failing some phantom drugs test.

Horse
29-05-2011, 10:03 PM
I have to say I have mixed feelings about GOC. Football wise I think he is a talented player and I have no doubt that he has all the attributes to being an extremely effective front man in the SPL. Personality wise, I'm undecided - He did (or so I believe) donate his signing on fee with locomotive to Hibs youth development which was admirable but on the flip side there has been rumours of him cheating on his wife (bad enough but even worse given he has children) and the rumours of drug taking. The drug taking is of course not something that any professional athlete should do however anyone who grew up in the lothians in the past 30 years or so will know that drugs and alcohol are a temptation that are put in front of all of us and some inevitably succumb to this. I am a great believer in that anything you do at the weekend is none of your employer's business unless it has a effect on how you do your job, in football though it is likely that your weekend activities will have an effect on how you do your job. Having said all of this the stuff about drug taking, cheating etc. are just rumours so I suppose GOC is innocent until proven guilty.

If we are talking about him potentially signing for Hibs now then I reckon that we should give him a chance. Purely for the reason that given his football ability, someone in Scottish football will give him a chance and lets face it, if another SPL team, say maybe one with lower moral standards than Hibs, say the sort of team who would happily employ a registered sex offender gave GOC a chance, as to them rumours of drug taking are nothing compared to sex crimes, say GOC scored a load of goals for them, I think we'd all be gutted that we never pushed the boat out to get him. For what it's worth I'd like to to think Garry would never sign for the pink pansies but just using it as an illustration.

After writing such a long winded, semi-drunken post, can I finally ask is there any substance in the rumour that GOC may sign for Hibs any time soon or is it just another "my mate texted me and he is usually right about these things" rumour?

ScottB
29-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Without a full list of the players who are guilty of it, it'd be hard to draw a judgement although it has been said in previous cases when players have been banned that it has neither a positive nor negative effect on performance. The problems may arise from if said player gets involved in the murky underworld that surrounds the supply of it etc.

One example I'd certainly cite though is an Australian rugby league player Andrew Johns who was arguably one of the best players of his generation and it was revealed after his retirement that he quite often took cocaine and ecstacy whilst still playing and it had zero effect on his playing ability.

Zero effect?

He may still have been good, yet the point is he'd have been better without. Hell ask Maradona, he claims he'd have been even better had he been clean. Difference is these guys were good enough that the damage they did to themselves still left them top players, Garry is not.

hibee92
29-05-2011, 11:31 PM
in nothing but footballing terms, completely ignoring off the field antics. i'd have him at hibs in less than a hearbeat.

experience, undoubted talent, and a weeeeeee bit of passion, but passion nonetheless.

BREAK THE BANK.

500th post btw :greengrin

ggtth

Viva_Palmeiras
29-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Two players I'm surprised not mentioned thus far
Lavety and maclaren
So were not exactly in uncharted territory if as some are suggesting there is a problem.
I think as a club there are some hard choices to make
On one hand the players should take care of themselves as athletes on the other we have a youth policy and kids who with the best will in the world will make mistakes.
For me there has been far too many mistakes which seems to suggest someone needs to take a firm line. We can't prejudge garrys situation. But from a wider perspective the club needs to weigh up bringing players in with baggage that goes against the aims of the club in regards to embracing the right culture whatever that means ;)

Kaiser1962
30-05-2011, 06:52 AM
in nothing but footballing terms, completely ignoring off the field antics. i'd have him at hibs in less than a hearbeat.

experience, undoubted talent, and a weeeeeee bit of passion, but passion nonetheless.

BREAK THE BANK.

ggtth

There lies the rub though H92. We "break the bank" and have nothing left if it dosent work out, or he gets hurt which he seems to have been a lot lately. The SPL is not the place to be if you're made of glass.

I would imagine a sort of "pay as you play" deal ir linked to points or something. But why would he go for that? I wouldnt in his position.

Septimus
30-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Surely O'Conner could not be the forward that CC is "excited" about. He was never anything but a carthorse and a carthorse on drugs must be the last thing we need.

Col2
30-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Surely O'Conner could not be the forward that CC is "excited" about. He was never anything but a carthorse and a carthorse on drugs must be the last thing we need.

Scottish internationalist, played at high level in Russia and played in Premiership. Also knows the club, it's supporters and has family/roots in the area. A risk? Yes but carthorse? Give me a break.

scoopyboy
30-05-2011, 07:31 AM
I see what you are saying, being 15 I know that any 'kid' who is old/mature enough to care that a player has an alleged drug problem, is also mature enough to realise and appreciate that sometimes risks must be taken as they are what pay off the most if they work out.

I think Garry is a perfect representation of this, a one year deal on the grounds of cleaning up his apparently dirty act is the best option. It puts us in a very good standing up front, puts him back in the shop window if he performs to a high enough level and won't be too hefty on our wage bill.

Thats if the rumour is actually of any substance, obviously :na na:

I heard from one of L&B finest that there was nothing untoward about the substance that GOC allegedly had in his possesion.

soupy
30-05-2011, 07:40 AM
What he had been baking soda instead :):)

One Day
30-05-2011, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE

Fed up watching losers, and dont give a toss what the kids might think, which i believe is sod all, especially if he starts knocking them in.[/QUOTE]

Well said

Pedantic_Hibee
30-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Nah, he'd borrowed a handful of Daz from his mate to fire his training gear on a 40 degree spin so he could come into train on his own.

So he's no part of a drugs cartel, he's just a very dedicated boy.

BEEJ
30-05-2011, 08:51 AM
And then we see if we can sign a free agent as we did with Vaz Te? O'Connor's ability is worth the risk of him failing some phantom drugs test.
Or Trakys? :greengrin

Beefster
30-05-2011, 09:32 AM
There are an awful lot of amateur managers / psychologists / social workers / moral guardians / lawyers / contract experts / HR managers / policemen / jurists / sherriffs on this thread. The vast majority of whom have probably done something illegal at some point in their lives.

Just to clarify - has O'Connor been found guilty of anything?

weonlywon6-2
30-05-2011, 09:44 AM
in nothing but footballing terms, completely ignoring off the field antics. i'd have him at hibs in less than a hearbeat.experience, undoubted talent, and a weeeeeee bit of passion, but passion nonetheless.

BREAK THE BANK.

ggtth

me too. a documented drug habit but has he ever failed a test at a club??

hes guilty of being stupid on a couple of occasions,yes,but he would give most of us a big lift if he signed,even on a pay as you play deal

shame though,story is probably pash !

MrSmith
30-05-2011, 09:51 AM
There are an awful lot of amateur managers / psychologists / social workers / moral guardians / lawyers / contract experts / HR managers / policemen / jurists / sherriffs on this thread. The vast majority of whom have probably done something illegal at some point in their lives.

Just to clarify - has O'Connor been found guilty of anything?

Always is! However, on a footballing note... I don't think he is capable of getting fit and staying fit both mentally and physically.

Clearly Garry O is a quality player on his day but that one day luxury is not what Hibs require at this time.

truehibernian
30-05-2011, 10:12 AM
me too. a documented drug habit but has he ever failed a test at a club??

hes guilty of being stupid on a couple of occasions,yes,but he would give most of us a big lift if he signed,even on a pay as you play deal

shame though,story is probably pash !

For any footballer, here or down south, it is extremely easy to 'not fail' a random drugs test mate. IIRC you can only take random samples from players you find at the training ground/centre when they arrive. I am sure, like any other profession, things get leaked and info gets shared, which means you can bet your last dollar that clubs have an inkling they are due a visit. Any player they suspect, or indeed any player who may have a problem, just misses training.

Certain substances only stay in your system for 24 hours or less, so again, if a footballer or sportsman is cute and clever, then hey-ho it's a risk but not that great.

What players cannot stop however is the new age technology, anecdotal evidence and tabloid gossip/stings. Roman Bednar a case in point. Best to remove all doubt and stay off the stuff and behave if you are a top flight footballer IMHO.

scoopyboy
30-05-2011, 10:24 AM

sherbet with traces of liquorice present.

I used to throw the liquorice away as well.

truehibernian
30-05-2011, 10:29 AM
sherbet with traces of liquorice present.

I used to throw the liquorice away as well.

Bring back Spacedust...........you have however brought back some happy memories scoopy.......inhaling the sherbet too quickly and needing the heimlich manouevre from the nearest good looking female at school. The sherbet was lethal :greengrin.

ScottB
30-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Leaving the drugs aside, the guy seems to be chronically unfit, has had multiple injuries in the last few seasons and barely kicked a ball.

Hardly sounds like the answer to all our problems does it? We'd need to sign a second striker to play in his place when he's inevitably injured.

The Falcon
30-05-2011, 11:55 AM
I heard from one of L&B finest that there was nothing untoward about the substance that GOC allegedly had in his possesion.

But they are not without "concern" as to why he legged it.

However, as has been pointed out, he has not killed Bambi or eaten a child.

.Sean.
30-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Not doubting you Scoop, but why would he run if he had nothing to hide?

scoopyboy
30-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Not doubting you Scoop, but why would he run if he had nothing to hide?

Sean, its GOC we are talking about here!!!!

Or maybe, just maybe he wanted a chase.

IanM
30-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Getting late in the afternoon - nothing circulating around ER
another thread close? or watch STV news at 6pm for a press conference?

Pedantic_Hibee
30-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Looks like this one has turned out to be complete and utter p1sh. :aok:

snooky
30-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Looks like this one has turned out to be complete and utter p1sh. :aok:

Damn!
I was hoping to sell a good few bargepoles. :wink:

Leishy1995
31-05-2011, 12:40 AM
My mates dad does the windows at the bar in Easter Road, my mate played shapes with Scott Brown and spoke to Colin Nish after the infamous 6-6 game, his dad saw Garry O'connor walking away from Easter Road a couple of days ago.:flag:

SouthMoroccoStu
31-05-2011, 06:38 AM
My mates dad does the windows at the bar in Easter Road, my mate played shapes with Scott Brown and spoke to Colin Nish after the infamous 6-6 game, his dad saw Garry O'connor walking away from Easter Road a couple of days ago.:flag:

Eh? :confused:

Mikeystewart
31-05-2011, 06:47 AM
can this be deleted or have the title changed now considering he didn't sign yesterday?

change it to: "should we sign garry o'connor ?"

EDIT: or at least if he did sign no one is saying anything about it at the club.

Niffy
31-05-2011, 06:52 AM
These gossip threads are always the same... so and so will sign on Monday, or Thursday etc.

Just to set a set wind up time.

Tricla
31-05-2011, 07:28 AM

I once had a seagull but the mountain I walked up was stale.

Never mind though, at least Corey will always have the advantage of long division.

Refrigerator. :aok:

Beefster
31-05-2011, 11:11 AM

This is the funniest thing that I've read this week so far. Whether you meant it or not, comedy genius.

Jones28
31-05-2011, 11:39 AM

Never mind though, at least Corey will always have the advantage of long division.

I second that :agree:

Thecat23
31-05-2011, 11:48 AM

My mates dad drives a black taxi with a big sticker on it. I played shapes with wee Gary down the street from me. He never spoke to Colin Nish after the 6-6 game though. I saw 2 old guys and a woman walking away from Easter Road though, so read into that what you like.

Leishy1995
31-05-2011, 11:49 AM
This is the funniest thing that I've read this week so far. Whether you meant it or not, comedy genius.
I'm a comical genius... trust me I have no reason to think his dad would lie:wink:

dangermouse
31-05-2011, 12:24 PM
My mates dad drives a black taxi with a big sticker on it. I played shapes with wee Gary down the street from me. He never spoke to Colin Nish after the 6-6 game though. I saw 2 old guys and a woman walking away from Easter Road though, so read into that what you like.

I'm tempted to analyse this further but would need more information on what was on the sticker and which direction the ménage et trios were heading.

SlickShoes
31-05-2011, 12:26 PM

HAHAHA best post ever.:top marks

Houchy
31-05-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm a comical genius... trust me I have no reason to think his dad would lie:wink:

So... was your dad cleaning the windows while playing shapes with Scott Brown??... and what was Broony doing at ER in the first place.

Oi likes Armadillos.:not worth

Thecat23
31-05-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm tempted to analyse this further but would need more information on what was on the sticker and which direction the ménage et trios were heading.

the trio were all walking North east. As for the sticker, you're Danger Mouse so i'm going to leave it to you to find that out :wink:

dangermouse
31-05-2011, 12:45 PM

the trio were all walking North east. As for the sticker, you're Danger Mouse so i'm going to leave it to you to find that out :wink:

I conclude that the taxi sticker is irrelevant as the taxi was probably taking Mr Nish on his final journey away from the Holy Ground. Like Gary, I never spoke to Nish after the 6-6 game but then I never spoke to him before it either. I can, however, deduce the trio had just been to the ticket office to renew their season tickets after hearing the rumour of a big name signing being imminent at Easter Road.

Thecat23
31-05-2011, 12:47 PM
I conclude that the taxi sticker is irrelevant as the taxi was probably taking Mr Nish on his final journey away from the Holy Ground. Like Gary, I never spoke to Nish after the 6-6 game but then I never spoke to him before it either. I can, however, deduce the trio had just been to the ticket office to renew their season tickets after hearing the rumour of a big name signing being imminent at Easter Road.

Mission complete.. Well done DM.

Houchy
31-05-2011, 12:51 PM
So who won the game of shapes? your mate, Nishy, Scott Brown, Petrie or Chris de burg?

Leishy1995
31-05-2011, 12:58 PM
So who won the game of shapes? your mate, Nishy, Scott Brown, Petrie or Chris de burg?

Phil Brown drew with Christian Nade. He played shapes with Broony when he played for Hibs.

So is Garry O'connor signed yet? Or is he at Mcdonalds:taxi

Thecat23
31-05-2011, 01:01 PM

I was watching that game, Chris De Burg was shouted in for his tea, which left Nish, Brown, Petrie and Paladin from Glen Michael's Cavalcade. Rusty was banned for bursting the other ball.

TrickyNicky
31-05-2011, 01:03 PM
I've just left Gary's house half an hour ago and the subject never even came up.

I did ask him about the the " shapes game " though, he laughed, asked me to finish the poached salmon open lasagne that he'd prepared for us and we played two round of charades - " foreign films only "!

Leishy1995
31-05-2011, 01:06 PM
I've killed this thread haven't I.

My dad once saw a young Scott Brown in JJB at the fort, he was trying to buy a baseball bat. Aparently to scare his ginger neighbour, my mum was their too.

My dad bought me a football once only to meet Le God on the way home and he ended up signing the ball which is still in our house. Unkicked.:flag:

Tricla
31-05-2011, 01:11 PM

My dad once saw a young Scott Brown in JJB at the fort, he was trying to buy a baseball bat. Aparently to scare his ginger neighbour, my mum was their too.

My dad bought me a football once only to meet Le God on the way home and he ended up signing the ball which is still in our house. Unkicked.:flag:

"Tell me about the effin golf shoes!"

TrickyNicky
31-05-2011, 01:15 PM

My dad once nipped oot fir a pint and lost our dug, my mum said: " dinnae come back till you've found um!

He's no been hame in 49 doggy years !

Leishy1995
31-05-2011, 01:19 PM
I still have the Le God ball if you deh believe me, not sure about the rest but yeah, GOC signs tomorrow....

Thecat23
31-05-2011, 01:19 PM
My dad once nipped oot fir a pint and lost our dug, my mum said: " dinnae come back till you've found um!

He's no been hame in 49 doggy years !

Hahaha mate that had me in fits.

Hibee87
01-06-2011, 01:09 PM
If what im hearing is true 6K a week for a one year deal is a bit of a risk.

Still welcome home gary :flag:

Cabbage East
01-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah welcome home Garry...

:rolleyes:

HibbyAndy
01-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Where did you here this? Ive heard wee snippets but from a fairly unreliable source.

MyJo
01-06-2011, 01:14 PM

6k a week for one year is about £320k. We probably paid that amount to get Alan O'Brien from Newcastle :rolleyes:

Given his injury record there will probably be a pay as you play clause somewhere in there.

RickyS
01-06-2011, 01:17 PM
if its true, welcome back Gaz

i heard from what i think is a reliable source that he had a concrete offer from the Yams but he is holding out on a "concrete" offer from us and if it never came then he would have to take the dirty money:greengrin

heretoday
01-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Welcome home .... er .... Gary.....:yawn:

Beefster
01-06-2011, 01:25 PM
6k a week for one year is about £320k. We probably paid that amount to get Alan O'Brien from Newcastle :rolleyes:

Given his injury record there will probably be a pay as you play clause somewhere in there.

Unlikely. If a player has passed a medical, I'd be surprised if Hibs then turned around and said "We won't pay you if you get injured whilst working for us".

ScottB
01-06-2011, 01:41 PM
£6k a week for an injury prone player with a questionable private life sounds like a hell of a risk and a fairly sizable chunk of our player budget.

Wouldn't be thrilled if that's true frankly, though I suppose it'll shut up the 'we only pay £20 a week' brigade...

SlickShoes
01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
bargain..............

GloryGlory
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM

No-one else has asked, so I might as well - sauce? :wink:

essexhibee
01-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Ridiculous decision imo. 6k could be better spent imo. Much better spent. :confused:

Edit : Do people really think he will come back? Sure someone said on before that he had spoke to Petrie who was worried he would be getting the heavy drinking O'connor instead of the footballing one. Surely now with all this drugs business he will defo be put off and steering well clear?

Dashing Bob S
01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Great move if true. I'd rather take a punt on quality. Even a Gary O'Connor with dodgy sinuses, iffy knees and an STD is better than a one-season lumbering carthorse like Sutton.

Chin up, you deplorable specimens!

ScottB
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Great move if true. I'd rather take a punt on quality. Even a Gary O'Connor with dodgy sinuses, iffy knees and an STD is better than a one-season lumbering carthorse like Sutton.

Chin up, you deplorable specimens!

What relevance is Sutton?

The question is, could we get a better player, or one of the same quality without the issues?

This is ALOT of money for us, meaning a lot on his shoulders.

I'd love to be proved wrong, I really would, but I think this would be a big mistake.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2011, 02:15 PM
It must be nonsence, we have a wage cap around the £1.8k a week. :devil:

Dashing Bob S
01-06-2011, 02:16 PM
What relevance is Sutton?

The question is, could we get a better player, or one of the same quality without the issues?

This is ALOT of money for us, meaning a lot on his shoulders.

I'd love to be proved wrong, I really would, but I think this would be a big mistake.

Good point. He's of no relevance whatsoever. To anything.

Thomson
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Sorry but have i missed something. I have heard a lot on here the past week about him returning. Has it been confirmed? :confused:

SteveHFC
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM

Source?

iwasthere1972
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Good news if true.

Familiar surroundings and people who he will know from his time before will do wonders for his game. If he can keep fit and off the substances that he is alleged to be into then I reckon he will do a great job for us.

Welcome Home Garry.............if true of course.

:flag:

I wish people could spell Garry :devil:

RickyS
01-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Sorry but have i missed something. I have heard a lot on here the past week about him returning. Has it been confirmed? :confused:

Yip its a defo confirmed rumour:greengrin

CRAZYHIBBY
01-06-2011, 02:27 PM
loaty *****.........if we sign oconnor then my dug will sit in a bath of cold beans ..

Thomson
01-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Yip its a defo confirmed rumour:greengrin

:faf: Why is everyone saying welcome home if it has not been confirmed yet? :na na:

IanM
01-06-2011, 02:28 PM
loaty *****.........if we sign oconnor then my dug will sit in a bath of cold beans ..

:faf:

if this turns out to be false, the only person thats allowed to start another GOC thread is him..

iwasthere1972
01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
:faf: Why is everyone saying welcome home if it has not been confirmed yet? :na na:

Most folk if not everybody are saying "if true".

If it's not true then he can sod off and take his (alleged) drugs with him. :greengrin

yekimevol
01-06-2011, 02:34 PM
is this what is replaceing the ivan rumor now that after along time he came home ?

ScottB
01-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Good point. He's of no relevance whatsoever. To anything.

I don't see what the point is in saying 'well at least player x is better than whoever Hearts have signed'

Couldn't care less who they've signed, the question is Garry a potentially good signing for us, not whether he is better than anyone over the road.

Lofarl
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
So jumping on the bandwagon of unconfirmed rumours players we have signed I'd also like to give a warm welcome to our new defender puyol and our flair midfielder called Ronaldo. I'd also like to give our new manager Gordon strachan a warm welcome too.

Dashing Bob S
01-06-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't see what the point is in saying 'well at least player x is better than whoever Hearts have signed'

Couldn't care less who they've signed, the question is Garry a potentially good signing for us, not whether he is better than anyone over the road.

Fine. So the concept of local footballing rivalry has no place on a supporters message board.

Many thanks for putting me right on that one.

Let me just go back and delete 90 per cent of my old posts...

Leishy1995
01-06-2011, 02:42 PM
So, is this come from the wrong end of a bull?

Ritchie
01-06-2011, 02:43 PM
See this time next year, when Gary O'Connor tops the SPL scoring chart and Edwin De Graaf tops the SPL assist chart.....you'll all look back at the recent threads on here and laugh at how much of a silly billy you've all been!!! :agree:

hibsbollah
01-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I would love it if true. Toot toot.

iwasthere1972
01-06-2011, 02:48 PM
See this time next year, when Gary O'Connor tops the SPL scoring chart and Edwin De Graaf tops the SPL assist chart.....you'll all look back at the recent threads on here and laugh at how much of a silly billy you've all been!!! :agree:

It's Garry you silly billy. As in Barry, Marry, Harry. :wink:

Hibiza
01-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Better value than the reported £4k a week for Micheal Hart.

hibsbollah
01-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Micheal

Thus unabilty too spel iz getin rediculous.

sahib
01-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Better value than the reported £4k a week for Micheal Hart.

Garry and Harty will be revelations this season, given that they are both here.

aberhibsfc
01-06-2011, 03:02 PM

Exactly,

Guess I'd rather pay a decent wage for quality than fill the coffers of another club for a never will be.

If we can stretch this far for GO, if that's true, should we not be trying to do something similar for Riordan. I know he's not done well this season, but this seasion has been a joke. Next season, with some decent acquisitions, some determination and a clean slate. It cannie get much worse, shirley?

aberhibsfc
01-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Agrieved, thi speling oan heer leafs a lott 2 b dezired ii

Forke 4 Mikeal Hart, itz shoking soan it iz ii

Beefster
01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Exactly,

Guess I'd rather pay a decent wage for quality than fill the coffers of another club for a never will be.

If we can stretch this far for GO, if that's true, should we not be trying to do something similar for Riordan. I know he's not done well this season, but this seasion has been a joke. Next season, with some decent acquisitions, some determination and a clean slate. It cannie get much worse, shirley?

I don't believe that we would pay O'Connor £6k pw but either way, no, we shouldn't be offering Riordan more money than he is currently on after his form this season.

Ritchie
01-06-2011, 03:29 PM
It's Garry you silly billy. As in Barry, Marry, Harry. :wink:

i was merely copying the OP's spelling.... honestly...... :taxi

iwasthere1972
01-06-2011, 03:35 PM

i was merely copying the OP's spelling.... honestly...... :taxi

Next time you'll be made to stay behind and do extra homework. Be thankful it's just a warning this time. :greengrin

ancient hibee
01-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Total tosh.

MontrealHibs
01-06-2011, 03:40 PM

Rumour from the PM board with a very weak source.

H18sry
01-06-2011, 03:53 PM

If we are paying him 6k per week, why are we not tying him into a longer deal, so we can recoup some of said wages if he does start banging in the goals? :confused:

Leishy1995
01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
I just can't see him getting a contract at Hibs.

Andy74
01-06-2011, 04:16 PM
I don't believe that we would pay O'Connor £6k pw but either way, no, we shouldn't be offering Riordan more money than he is currently on after his form this season.

Quality over quantity is what we want is it not?

The wages for Riordan and Duffy on O'Connor instead?

Yes please.

edit: In theory, not that it's happening.

Dirkster23
01-06-2011, 04:26 PM
If we are paying him 6k per week, why are we not tying him into a longer deal, so we can recoup some of said wages if he does start banging in the goals? :confused:

In case he doesn't start banging in the goals and we're saddled with paying him 6k a week for 2 years :wink:

Golden Bear
01-06-2011, 04:50 PM
£6k a week? - Rod will be wanting a squad for that amount never mind a single player.

Never in two months of Sundays can this rumour be true.

Beefster
01-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Quality over quantity is what we want is it not?

The wages for Riordan and Duffy on O'Connor instead?

Yes please.

edit: In theory, not that it's happening.

Absolutely. I'm all for Hibs shrinking the squad size and giving fewer players higher wages.

Tricla
01-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Are there really 244 threads merged here?

HNA12
01-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Are there really 244 threads merged here?

Aye. In only 200 posts. On hibs.net anything is possible. :greengrin

Zemamma10
01-06-2011, 10:03 PM
A one year deal with hibs having the option of another year on top would be the best scenario. If he bangs in the goals hibs can extend the deal and if he doesn't perform he can be released. A fit GOC would definitely be a worthwhile addition.

Kaiser1962
01-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Absolutely. I'm all for Hibs shrinking the squad size and giving fewer players higher wages.

Its getting the right players that's the problem. In theory it sounds great.

TrickyNicky
02-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Most folk if not everybody are saying "if true".

If it's not true then he can sod off and take his (alleged) drugs with him. :greengrin

No, if he sod's off can he leave his alleged drugs here?

Beefster
02-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Its getting the right players that's the problem. In theory it sounds great.

That problem applies even if you pay 40 players poor wages (in footballing terms). It's easier to get the right players when you pay more though.

hibsbollah
02-06-2011, 12:31 PM
No, if he sod's off can he leave his alleged drugs here

Quite right too. Its only good manners to share your stash.

weonlywon6-2
02-06-2011, 01:07 PM
£6k a week? - Rod will be wanting a squad for that amount never mind a single player.

Never in two months of Sundays can this rumour be true.

not a hope in hell.lucky if hibs best wage earner is on a third of that:rolleyes:

Cropley10
02-06-2011, 01:49 PM
I'd be happy if we signed Garry but only on a pay as you play basis :agree::agree:

snooky
02-06-2011, 04:46 PM
I'd be happy if we signed Garry but only on a pay as you play basis :agree::agree:

Play football you mean :wink:

Tricla
02-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Well cover me in eggs and flour and bake me for forty minutes!

R'Albin
02-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Andy74
02-06-2011, 04:58 PM
not a hope in hell.lucky if hibs best wage earner is on a third of that:rolleyes:

No, I think we will pay more. Also, there has been no indication that the budget has been cut but the squad will be. That should allow us to pay less players a bit more.

When you think that the likes of Riordan, Miller, Nish, Dickoh, Duffy and Rankin would have been on decent cash we have a bit of leeway and I wouldn't be surprised to see two or three players come in who will be being paid very well.

MyJo
02-06-2011, 05:04 PM

highest paid is reported to be in the region of 4k per week basic

weonlywon6-2
02-06-2011, 05:39 PM
No, I think we will pay more. Also, there has been no indication that the budget has been cut but the squad will be. That should allow us to pay less players a bit more.

When you think that the likes of Riordan, Miller, Nish, Dickoh, Duffy and Rankin would have been on decent cash we have a bit of leeway and I wouldn't be surprised to see two or three players come in who will be being paid very well.

just cant see it. we are cutting our squad down to 24 roughly and we are not doing that because of any other reason than money i would presume.

we will be wanting to pull the reigns in financially so i dont see us paying that much.
i think most teams outside the old firm and hearts will be doing the same as there is just no money at all out there.

youth is the way forward me thinks :rolleyes:

weonlywon6-2
02-06-2011, 05:42 PM
highest paid is reported to be in the region of 4k per week basic

i think it has been a while since we paid that sort of money.

now if we had a british league !!

Dirkster23
02-06-2011, 05:44 PM
just cant see it. we are cutting our squad down to 24 roughly and we are not doing that because of any other reason than money i would presume.

we will be wanting to pull the reigns in financially so i dont see us paying that much.
i think most teams outside the old firm and hearts will be doing the same as there is just no money at all out there.

youth is the way forward me thinks :rolleyes:

Did Calderwood no say a while ago that he thought a squad of 20 with another 3/4 guys out on loan was the ideal size to work with?

Beefster
02-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Did Calderwood no say a while ago that he thought a squad of 20 with another 3/4 guys out on loan was the ideal size to work with?

Yup.

weonlywon6-2
02-06-2011, 06:38 PM

nothing to do with cost cutting during the worst financial period for years then?:rolleyes:

Dirkster23
02-06-2011, 07:14 PM
nothing to do with cost cutting during the worst financial period for years then?:rolleyes:

I'm just going with what the manager actually said. I maybe missed the article where they said they'd cut the budget but feel free to post a link :wink:

s.a.m
02-06-2011, 07:33 PM

I'm sure money will be a significant factor in any decision about how to shape the squad. It's also not beyond the realms of possibility, though, that the manager would rather spend whatever money is available on a tighter squad of better quality players, than the swollen ranks of bit-part players - who don't get a chance to establish themselves - that we've become used to in the last few years.

ScottB
02-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm sure money will be a significant factor in any decision about how to shape the squad. It's also not beyond the realms of possibility, though, that the manager would rather spend whatever money is available on a tighter squad of better quality players, than the swollen ranks of bit-part players - who don't get a chance to establish themselves - that we've become used to in the last few years.

We can move back to this option now that we have a decent number of talented young guys. The last few seasons big squads full of journeymen were a result of the youth system not producing much...

weonlywon6-2
02-06-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm just going with what the manager actually said. I maybe missed the article where they said they'd cut the budget but feel free to post a link :wink:

yeah i know he said that but the country is in a sorry mess with money in all walks of life.we had tumbling attendences across most grounds in the uk so football will have not been amune to it either.
there is money in the premiership and the championship but outside that the clubs are struggling.
i took from the interview that 24 was what he had to work with and not what he would have really chosen.

24 players,4 out in loan. 20 players for a season,less injury,suspension,3 are keepers which leaves things very thin on the ground

imo though::greengrin

.Sean.
02-06-2011, 11:45 PM
highest paid is reported to be in the region of 4k per week basic4K basic is absolute baws. I know of at least 2 first team players (first choice pics i'd go as far to say) who's basic doesn't scrape 20% of 4K weekly.

Peevemor
03-06-2011, 01:23 AM
4K basic is absolute baws. I know of at least 2 first team players (first choice pics i'd go as far to say) who's basic doesn't scrape 20% of 4K weekly.

Doesn't mean there aren't others who earn more though does it? :confused:

TrickyNicky
03-06-2011, 03:19 AM
4K basic is absolute baws. I know of at least 2 first team players (first choice pics i'd go as far to say) who's basic doesn't scrape 20% of 4K weekly.

Really?
That's astounding!

With only 10 wins last season, there wouldn't have been much in the way of win bonuses either, no decent cup runs would have hurt also.

Did Panini even do stickers last year ?

weonlywon6-2
03-06-2011, 05:56 AM

i believe you are close to the mark with this one.the days of big wages at our club have long gone.just as well.imagine paying someone that sort of money after the season we have had:rolleyes:

Beefster
03-06-2011, 07:02 AM
i believe you are close to the mark with this one.the days of big wages at our club have long gone.just as well.imagine paying someone that sort of money after the season we have had:rolleyes:

Can you stop making out that your beliefs / opinion are some sort of fact please?

You've no idea what the top wage Hibs will pay is, Calderwood said that he wanted to work with a smaller squad and you have no idea if the wage budget is being cut, remains static or is being increased.

MyJo
03-06-2011, 07:20 AM

The younger guys like Hanlon, Booth and Stevenson are probably on the kind of wages you are talking about but i was saying that its been mentioned on here that there are players (not the whole squad) reportedly earning £4k a week.

You really think that Liam Miller, Riordan or Stokes would have been playing for £800 per week??

.Sean.
03-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't think the Millers, Stokes etc would've been on £800 a week no, but I don't think anywere near 4K weekly would've been their take home pay either. They'd maybe scrape 4K with bonuses chucked in, however.

MyJo
03-06-2011, 09:29 AM
I don't think the Millers, Stokes etc would've been on £800 a week no, but I don't think anywere near 4K weekly would've been their take home pay either. They'd maybe scrape 4K with bonuses chucked in, however.

so you dont know then? I thought earlier on that it was "utter baws" based on the fact you know how much two of our younger players earn?

FWIW i have no idea about any of this either but i'm basing this on details posted on here about two currently contracted players who are pushing that level of salary

hibsbollah
03-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Lets face it, noone really knows the players' individual wages unless you have access to the players bank details or the club's. I dont know why its of much interest anyway... the TOTAL turnover in wages % is available via the accounts...

.Sean.
03-06-2011, 09:40 AM
In my opinion it's a bollocks figure, I was told De Graff is 2K basic and he's up there with the highest earners. 4K basic seems a big figure when you factor these players will earn an appearance fee and a win bonus (every other month ;) ).

California-Hibs
03-06-2011, 10:20 AM
In my opinion it's a bollocks figure, I was told De Graff is 2K basic and he's up there with the highest earners. 4K basic seems a big figure when you factor these players will earn an appearance fee and a win bonus (every other month ;) ).

You're wrong mate, trust me their are Hibs players on the books earning between 4-5K. Heard this from a few certain players dad's.

.Sean.
03-06-2011, 10:24 AM
You're wrong mate, trust me their are Hibs players on the books earning between 4-5K. Heard this from a few certain players dad's.I won't doubt you man if that's the case, it just seems an astonishing gap between what first choice pics are earning, especially as I know the players i'm talking about are 2 of our better players, albeit younger.

stokesmessiah
03-06-2011, 10:28 AM
You're wrong mate, trust me their are Hibs players on the books earning between 4-5K. Heard this from a few certain players dad's.

Correct...I think ppl like to use these "facts" to have a pop at the board etc.

We have 4/5 highest wage bill in Scotland and we are not paying the majority of our squad £800 !!!

GreenPJ
03-06-2011, 10:33 AM
I won't doubt you man if that's the case, it just seems an astonishing gap between what first choice pics are earning, especially as I know the players i'm talking about are 2 of our better players, albeit younger.

Its the norm in football and most business. Young players who come through the ranks will have had incremental increases to represent their progress. To attract someone from outside in you need to pay a premium. It might not be fair but its been the way of the world in football and every other line of business I have been involved with for years and always will be.

The young home grown players will only start to receive equivalent money when they have proven themselves and have a quantifiable market value or alternatively they leave and go to another club.

California-Hibs
03-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Correct...I think ppl like to use these "facts" to have a pop at the board etc.

We have 4/5 highest wage bill in Scotland and we are not paying the majority of our squad £800 !!!

Yep. I don't know why Hibs fans like to think we pay terrible wages, and that the majority of the squad are on wages as low as £800, its frankly not true! Hibs pay very decent wages indeed, this has been the case for a good while now. The Sauzee and Latapy days might be gone, when players were earning the likes of 7-8K but rest assure, and it's not just acouple of them, their are players at Easter Road today that are paid between 4-5K per week, and that IMO is not too shabby atall! The board are not as penny pinching as people think, they are however poor at picking managers, who like to throw this money around at players who are not worth being on as high a wage as they are! I'm sure there are many good quality players out there at the moment who would jump to join Hibs on around 4k a week, so Calderwood, it's over to you! A few more Stokes/Miller signings please!! :agree:

stokesmessiah
03-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Yep. I don't know why Hibs fans like to think we pay terrible wages, and that the majority of the squad are on wages as low as £800, its frankly not true! Hibs pay very decent wages indeed, this has been the case for a good while now. The Sauzee and Latapy days might be gone, when players were earning the likes of 7-8K but rest assure, and it's not just acouple of them, their are players at Easter Road today that are paid between 4-5K per week, and that IMO is not too shabby atall! The board are not as penny pinching as people think, they are however poor at picking managers, who like to throw this money around at players who are not worth being on as high a wage as they are! I'm sure there are many good quality players out there at the moment who would jump to join Hibs on around 4k a week, so Calderwood, it's over to you! A few more Stokes/Miller signings please!! :agree:

:aok:

MyJo
03-06-2011, 01:24 PM

:agree: I think the problem has been having managers who dont know how to operate on a budget the size of ours. Collins had never managed before and his signings where hit or miss, Mixu had previously worked at cowdenbeath and the finnish league which wouldnt have been swimming in money (look what he managed to do with Killie when he didnt have much money to play with) Hughes was the same coming from Falkirk and all three seemed to think the solution was to sign another player and throw a contract at him because the money was there.

Now we have a manager in CC who has managed and coached at a higher level and with a bigger budget than we have and realises that a smaller squad with better quality players earning more per head supplemented by youth players earning less is the best way for us to operate. Gives us the type of player we need to compete at the top end of the table while allowing youth the chance to break into the first team and earn themselves a move to a bigger club and us a transfer fee along with it.

CC has got the right idea and he seems to be going the right way about it so far with The majority of imposters our squad has been filled with in the last 3 or 4 years are gone.

weonlywon6-2
03-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Can you stop making out that your beliefs / opinion are some sort of fact please?

You've no idea what the top wage Hibs will pay is, Calderwood said that he wanted to work with a smaller squad and you have no idea if the wage budget is being cut, remains static or is being increased.

why,is it upsetting :na na:

scoopyboy
03-06-2011, 02:52 PM

I don't know figures and even if I did I wouldn't post them.

What I do know is De Graaf and Hart are our two highest earners, and this was before Deek and miller left the building.

Stevie Reid
03-06-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't know figures and even if I did I wouldn't post them.

What I do know is De Graaf and Hart are our two highest earners, and this was before Deek and miller left the building.

I'm sure I read last year that Hart was signing for just under £2K a week, £1800 perhaps. Was just a tabloid, mind.