View Full Version : One for the Oldies. Identify the players.

21-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Found this photo from the 70's.
There's a few players in there.

Name the back row (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/hibs.jpg/)

21-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Sly Stallone, 3rd in from the Left.

21-05-2011, 01:09 PM
?, Stanton, Brazil, ? Cropley, ?, O'Rourke, ?, ?

Thief
21-05-2011, 01:10 PM
From quick glance, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, Alex Cropley and Jimmy O'Rourke :hibees
Not sure about the rest.

21-05-2011, 01:18 PM
I should have added that they are not all players. It was a supporters club dance.

I only know for certain that Stanton and O'Rourke are there but there are others. I just can't place them.

21-05-2011, 01:20 PM
I should have added that they are not all players. It was a supporters club dance.

I only know for certain that Stanton and O'Rourke are there but there are others. I just can't place them.

So the guy beside Pat wi the tache might no be Joe Harper? :greengrin

21-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Stanton, Black, Cropley & O'Rourke

21-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Is that a young Bobby Smith top row far left? And far right top Jim Blair????

21-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Sly Stallone, 3rd in from the Left.

Jim Black you mean! :agree:

21-05-2011, 04:48 PM
From quick glance, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, Alex Cropley and Jimmy O'Rourke :hibees
Not sure about the rest.

Yup, that's all the players I recognised too! :agree:

21-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Is that a young Bobby Smith top row far left? And far right top Jim Blair????

Nope! :wink:

21-05-2011, 05:06 PM
2nd from right definitely a Hibs midfielder. No question. :agree:

21-05-2011, 05:20 PM
in answer to cad...that's pat stanton, anyway, i take it the guy between cropley and jimmy o'rourke is a 'fan' aye :confused:

DroitwichHibs
21-05-2011, 05:24 PM
The guy sitting down at the table on the left...Is that not John Hazel? (looks like he's had a few??) ...and a long shot far right, there was a young goalie called Bobby Mathieson, early 70's- could be him!!

21-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Cheer for the replies and PM's. I'll find out exactly who is in it tomorrow and let you know.

21-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Cheer for the replies and PM's. I'll find out exactly who is in it tomorrow and let you know.

Lindsay Muir is in there

21-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Lindsay Muir is in there

No he isn't. Unless he is in drag.

21-05-2011, 08:24 PM
No he isn't. Unless he is in drag.

In between Jim Black and Alex Cropley, he is a close friend of my friend, and he works in the Finance Industry in Edinburgh....

21-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Looks like 3 of the back row are not players?

PapillonVert
21-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Not sure about the rest.

Those are the ones I recognised! :thumbsup:

21-05-2011, 08:31 PM
In between Jim Black and Alex Cropley, he is a close friend of my friend, and he works in the Finance Industry in Edinburgh....

I know he does. And I know his missus. And while he might look a bit like that NOW he didn't look anything like that THEN

21-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Those are the ones I recognised! :thumbsup:

Me too:agree:

21-05-2011, 08:32 PM
I know he does. And I know his missus. And while he might look a bit like that NOW he didn't look anything like that THEN

Dont tell me my mate is being a slaver?:greengrin

21-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Dont tell me my mate is being a slaver?:greengrin

Is it the same mate that told you about Calderwood and Swindon Town? Careful who you listen to....:wink:

21-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Wondering if John ( ?) Hazel might be in there. ??

I might be talking shoit right enuff ! :wink:

21-05-2011, 09:41 PM

:agree: I have been saying that all season.

21-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I'd be surprised if there's any more players there than Pat Stanton, Jim Black, Alex Cropley and Jimmy O'Rourke ... although one of the guys seated (the one on the right) looks familiar.

22-05-2011, 07:18 AM
A shout for the young guy on the right of the back row. Derek Spalding or Colin Campbell.

22-05-2011, 07:30 AM
A shout for the young guy on the right of the back row. Derek Spalding or Colin Campbell.

Could well be Derek Spalding. Recognise the guy to Jimmy O'Rourke's right - was he not the guy who had the programme stall? Or am I slavering..

22-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Ricky Reggina, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, non player, Alex Cropley, non player, Jimmy O'Rourke, non player, Derek Spalding?

22-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Could well be Derek Spalding. Recognise the guy to Jimmy O'Rourke's right - was he not the guy who had the programme stall? Or am I slavering..

Ricky Regina?

cad
22-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Lindsay Muir ,Derek Spalding and Colin Campbell those names take you back
I had a quick look yesterday I thought King Paddy was Ian Munro .
The guy on Jimmy O Rourkes end ( now thats a statement ) I think is a player who , god knows I would take a stab at Campbell or Muir , the guy to the right of him is a hairdresser thats been hit wi a lift or maybe a player called Brian Ross ??, ,and the guy at the far end next to Pat I dont think its Harper ,well it could be, Harper would have a drink in his hand , thats what confused me ,but on closer inspection he is counting his changed so it could well be him

Had another look ,thats no Harper the guys to thin

22-05-2011, 09:52 AM

Could be targets for next season though? :wink:

22-05-2011, 10:00 AM
:agree: I have been saying that all season.

:faf::devil:

22-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Could be targets for next season though? :wink:

Boston, as long as they are experienced:greengrin

22-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Ricky Regina?

Dont think its Ricky, Jock could be right of course but I doubt it:wink:

22-05-2011, 10:04 AM
The guy on Jimmy O Rourkes end ( now thats a statement ) I think is a player who , god knows I would take a stab at Campbell or Muir , the guy to the right of him is a hairdresser thats been hit wi a lift or maybe a player called Brian Ross ??, ,and the guy at the far end next to Pat I dont think its Harper ,well it could be, Harper would have a drink in his hand , thats what confused me ,but on closer inspection he is counting his changed so it could well be him

Neither Campbell nor Muir.

No idea who though ...:greengrin

22-05-2011, 10:19 AM

Trust me, Lindsay Muir is not in that photo!

He is in this one though middle row first left. I reckon when the photograph in question was taken (looking at the youthful Alex Cropley!), Lindsay would be about 13! (Colin Campbell would be even younger and Joe Harper was at Aberdeen)

22-05-2011, 10:47 AM

He is in this one though middle row first left. I reckon when the photograph in question was taken (looking at the youthful Alex Cropley!), Lindsay would be about 13! (Colin Campbell would be even younger and Joe Harper was at Aberdeen)

Who is that behind Alex Edwards? And behind Bobby Smith?

22-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Who is that behind Alex Edwards? And behind Bobby Smith?

Derek Spalding and Pat Carroll respectively (assuming you're talking about the team shot.....)

IFONLY
22-05-2011, 12:33 PM
The guys either side of Cropley are on his right Alec Durie and on his left Alex Strang definitesAlec Durie is dead now and Alex Strang stays in Clermiston they were members of the old Edinburgh West branch

22-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Right , 4 players in the photo.

From top left....Jimmy Carr , Sir Patrick of Stanton , Jim Black , Alex Durie , Cropley , Alex Strang , Jim O'Rourke , Danny McArrin , Gordon McKay .
Bottom row are Andy Nicholson and Tam Bailey.

Photo was taken at Annandale Bus Depot and i think it was a Dance for Harper.

22-05-2011, 01:20 PM
The guys either side of Cropley are on his right Alec Durie and on his left Alex Strang definitesAlec Durie is dead now and Alex Strang stays in Clermiston they were members of the old Edinburgh West branch

I know/knew both of these people.

Did you travel with Edinburgh West ? Did you know Donny ?

22-05-2011, 01:27 PM

That is Alex Durie. He died in 1987.

IFONLY
22-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I know/knew both of these people.

Did you travel with Edinburgh West ? Did you know Donny ?

Used to travel with them still speak to Donnie in the West lower

22-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Ricky Regina?

Bit of an amateur historian and serious programme collector/dealer of late. (I have no idea if he has had any official involvement with Hibs).
Nice chap, very ginger. :greengrin

22-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Ricky Regina?

That's the guy I was thinking of S but it wasnae him :greengrin

23-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Lindsay Muir is in there

Definately no Lindsay Muir in that photo! :wink:

23-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Brian Ross ain't there either! :wink:

23-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Got names forall of them in that team photo Hamilton except one. Who is front far left? I just cant get it.:grr:

23-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Got names forall of them in that team photo Hamilton except one. Who is front far left? I just cant get it.:grr:

Willie Murray

23-05-2011, 10:51 AM
So the guy beside Pat wi the tache might no be Joe Harper? :greengrin

Not fat enough. :rolleyes:

23-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Willie Murray

Cheers JB. I should have got that.

23-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Not fat enough. :rolleyes::tee hee:

hibbill2002
23-05-2011, 04:11 PM
If my memory serves me well, Lindsay Muir done no too bad considering he went to Trinity where there was no school team.

25-05-2011, 08:04 PM

Missed yer post as was away and anyway I only obsess about other posters!
Jim B has pointed it out - BTW Willie Murray and Lindsay Muir are still good muckers I believe.

25-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Ah Willie Murray i remember being sick on him in a bar in Brora, pre season late 70s??????:drunk::drunk:

25-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Missed yer post as was away and anyway I only obsess about other posters!
Jim B has pointed it out - BTW Willie Murray and Lindsay Muir are still good muckers I believe.

I should have kown that but I just couldn't get the name.