PDA

View Full Version : One for the Oldies. Identify the players.

sleeping giant
21-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Found this photo from the 70's.
There's a few players in there.

Name the back row (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/hibs.jpg/)

HibbyAndy
21-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Sly Stallone, 3rd in from the Left.

Moulin Yarns
21-05-2011, 01:09 PM
?, Stanton, Brazil, ? Cropley, ?, O'Rourke, ?, ?

Thief
21-05-2011, 01:10 PM
From quick glance, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, Alex Cropley and Jimmy O'Rourke :hibees
Not sure about the rest.

sleeping giant
21-05-2011, 01:18 PM
I should have added that they are not all players. It was a supporters club dance.

I only know for certain that Stanton and O'Rourke are there but there are others. I just can't place them.

Greentinted
21-05-2011, 01:20 PM
I should have added that they are not all players. It was a supporters club dance.

I only know for certain that Stanton and O'Rourke are there but there are others. I just can't place them.

So the guy beside Pat wi the tache might no be Joe Harper? :greengrin

Stantons Angel
21-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Stanton, Black, Cropley & O'Rourke

blackpoolhibs
21-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Is that a young Bobby Smith top row far left? And far right top Jim Blair????

TornadoHibby
21-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Sly Stallone, 3rd in from the Left.

Jim Black you mean! :agree:

TornadoHibby
21-05-2011, 04:48 PM
From quick glance, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, Alex Cropley and Jimmy O'Rourke :hibees
Not sure about the rest.

Yup, that's all the players I recognised too! :agree:

TornadoHibby
21-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Is that a young Bobby Smith top row far left? And far right top Jim Blair????

Nope! :wink:

lapsedhibee
21-05-2011, 05:06 PM
2nd from right definitely a Hibs midfielder. No question. :agree:

cabbageandribs1875
21-05-2011, 05:20 PM
in answer to cad...that's pat stanton, anyway, i take it the guy between cropley and jimmy o'rourke is a 'fan' aye :confused:

DroitwichHibs
21-05-2011, 05:24 PM
The guy sitting down at the table on the left...Is that not John Hazel? (looks like he's had a few??) ...and a long shot far right, there was a young goalie called Bobby Mathieson, early 70's- could be him!!

sleeping giant
21-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Cheer for the replies and PM's. I'll find out exactly who is in it tomorrow and let you know.

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Cheer for the replies and PM's. I'll find out exactly who is in it tomorrow and let you know.

Lindsay Muir is in there

Iggy Pope
21-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Lindsay Muir is in there

No he isn't. Unless he is in drag.

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 08:24 PM
No he isn't. Unless he is in drag.

In between Jim Black and Alex Cropley, he is a close friend of my friend, and he works in the Finance Industry in Edinburgh....

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Looks like 3 of the back row are not players?

PapillonVert
21-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Not sure about the rest.

Those are the ones I recognised! :thumbsup:

Iggy Pope
21-05-2011, 08:31 PM
In between Jim Black and Alex Cropley, he is a close friend of my friend, and he works in the Finance Industry in Edinburgh....

I know he does. And I know his missus. And while he might look a bit like that NOW he didn't look anything like that THEN
:wink:

erskine-hibby
21-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Those are the ones I recognised! :thumbsup:

Me too:agree:

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 08:32 PM
I know he does. And I know his missus. And while he might look a bit like that NOW he didn't look anything like that THEN
:wink:

Dont tell me my mate is being a slaver?:greengrin

Iggy Pope
21-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Dont tell me my mate is being a slaver?:greengrin

Is it the same mate that told you about Calderwood and Swindon Town? Careful who you listen to....:wink:

ALF TUPPER
21-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Wondering if John ( ?) Hazel might be in there. ??

I might be talking shoit right enuff ! :wink:

iwasthere1972
21-05-2011, 09:41 PM

:agree: I have been saying that all season.

The Harp
21-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I'd be surprised if there's any more players there than Pat Stanton, Jim Black, Alex Cropley and Jimmy O'Rourke ... although one of the guys seated (the one on the right) looks familiar.

ronaldo7
22-05-2011, 07:18 AM
A shout for the young guy on the right of the back row. Derek Spalding or Colin Campbell.

Hiber-nation
22-05-2011, 07:30 AM
A shout for the young guy on the right of the back row. Derek Spalding or Colin Campbell.

Could well be Derek Spalding. Recognise the guy to Jimmy O'Rourke's right - was he not the guy who had the programme stall? Or am I slavering..

scoopyboy
22-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Ricky Reggina, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, non player, Alex Cropley, non player, Jimmy O'Rourke, non player, Derek Spalding?

Brooster
22-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Could well be Derek Spalding. Recognise the guy to Jimmy O'Rourke's right - was he not the guy who had the programme stall? Or am I slavering..

Ricky Regina?

cad
22-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Lindsay Muir ,Derek Spalding and Colin Campbell those names take you back
I had a quick look yesterday I thought King Paddy was Ian Munro .
The guy on Jimmy O Rourkes end ( now thats a statement ) I think is a player who , god knows I would take a stab at Campbell or Muir , the guy to the right of him is a hairdresser thats been hit wi a lift or maybe a player called Brian Ross ??, ,and the guy at the far end next to Pat I dont think its Harper ,well it could be, Harper would have a drink in his hand , thats what confused me ,but on closer inspection he is counting his changed so it could well be him

Had another look ,thats no Harper the guys to thin

Bostonhibby
22-05-2011, 09:52 AM

Could be targets for next season though? :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2011, 10:00 AM
:agree: I have been saying that all season.

:faf::devil:

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Could be targets for next season though? :wink:

Boston, as long as they are experienced:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Ricky Regina?

Dont think its Ricky, Jock could be right of course but I doubt it:wink:

CropleyWasGod
22-05-2011, 10:04 AM
The guy on Jimmy O Rourkes end ( now thats a statement ) I think is a player who , god knows I would take a stab at Campbell or Muir , the guy to the right of him is a hairdresser thats been hit wi a lift or maybe a player called Brian Ross ??, ,and the guy at the far end next to Pat I dont think its Harper ,well it could be, Harper would have a drink in his hand , thats what confused me ,but on closer inspection he is counting his changed so it could well be him

Neither Campbell nor Muir.

No idea who though ...:greengrin

Iggy Pope
22-05-2011, 10:19 AM

Trust me, Lindsay Muir is not in that photo!

He is in this one though middle row first left. I reckon when the photograph in question was taken (looking at the youthful Alex Cropley!), Lindsay would be about 13! (Colin Campbell would be even younger and Joe Harper was at Aberdeen)

CropleyWasGod
22-05-2011, 10:47 AM

He is in this one though middle row first left. I reckon when the photograph in question was taken (looking at the youthful Alex Cropley!), Lindsay would be about 13! (Colin Campbell would be even younger and Joe Harper was at Aberdeen)

Who is that behind Alex Edwards? And behind Bobby Smith?

Iggy Pope
22-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Who is that behind Alex Edwards? And behind Bobby Smith?

Derek Spalding and Pat Carroll respectively (assuming you're talking about the team shot.....)

IFONLY
22-05-2011, 12:33 PM
The guys either side of Cropley are on his right Alec Durie and on his left Alex Strang definitesAlec Durie is dead now and Alex Strang stays in Clermiston they were members of the old Edinburgh West branch

sleeping giant
22-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Right , 4 players in the photo.

From top left....Jimmy Carr , Sir Patrick of Stanton , Jim Black , Alex Durie , Cropley , Alex Strang , Jim O'Rourke , Danny McArrin , Gordon McKay .
Bottom row are Andy Nicholson and Tam Bailey.

Photo was taken at Annandale Bus Depot and i think it was a Dance for Harper.

sleeping giant
22-05-2011, 01:20 PM
The guys either side of Cropley are on his right Alec Durie and on his left Alex Strang definitesAlec Durie is dead now and Alex Strang stays in Clermiston they were members of the old Edinburgh West branch

I know/knew both of these people.

Did you travel with Edinburgh West ? Did you know Donny ?

sleeping giant
22-05-2011, 01:27 PM

That is Alex Durie. He died in 1987.

IFONLY
22-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I know/knew both of these people.

Did you travel with Edinburgh West ? Did you know Donny ?

Used to travel with them still speak to Donnie in the West lower

Greentinted
22-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Ricky Regina?

Bit of an amateur historian and serious programme collector/dealer of late. (I have no idea if he has had any official involvement with Hibs).
Nice chap, very ginger. :greengrin

Hiber-nation
22-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Ricky Regina?

That's the guy I was thinking of S but it wasnae him :greengrin

TornadoHibby
23-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Lindsay Muir is in there

Definately no Lindsay Muir in that photo! :wink:

TornadoHibby
23-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Brian Ross ain't there either! :wink:

greenlex
23-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Got names forall of them in that team photo Hamilton except one. Who is front far left? I just cant get it.:grr:

JimBHibees
23-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Got names forall of them in that team photo Hamilton except one. Who is front far left? I just cant get it.:grr:

Willie Murray

--------
23-05-2011, 10:51 AM
So the guy beside Pat wi the tache might no be Joe Harper? :greengrin

Not fat enough. :rolleyes:

greenlex
23-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Willie Murray

Cheers JB. I should have got that.

Greentinted
23-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Not fat enough. :rolleyes::tee hee:

hibbill2002
23-05-2011, 04:11 PM
If my memory serves me well, Lindsay Muir done no too bad considering he went to Trinity where there was no school team.

Iggy Pope
25-05-2011, 08:04 PM

Missed yer post as was away and anyway I only obsess about other posters!
Jim B has pointed it out - BTW Willie Murray and Lindsay Muir are still good muckers I believe.

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Ah Willie Murray i remember being sick on him in a bar in Brora, pre season late 70s??????:drunk::drunk:

greenlex
25-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Missed yer post as was away and anyway I only obsess about other posters!
Jim B has pointed it out - BTW Willie Murray and Lindsay Muir are still good muckers I believe.

I should have kown that but I just couldn't get the name.