PDA

View Full Version : Youth breaking into the 1st team

macca70
04-05-2011, 08:55 PM
With our U17's having won the East of Scotland Shield 7 years in a row and our U19's winning the double a couple of years ago.

Why are we not seeing more youngsters being given a chance in the 1st team?

I think Booth is an amazing talent and will be a 1st team regular for seasons to come.

This is the time of the season we should be giving more youngsters a run out, in the hope we can develop another gem like Booth.

oconnors_strip
04-05-2011, 09:00 PM
i think if scott smith hadnt got injured he would have been involved in the first team in the final few games of the season.

J-C
04-05-2011, 09:00 PM
With our U17's having won the East of Scotland Shield 7 years in a row and our U19's winning the double a couple of years ago.

Why are we not seeing more youngsters being given a chance in the 1st team.

I think Booth is an amazing talent and will be a 1st team regular for seasons to come.

This is the time of the season we should be giving more youngsters a run out, in the hope we can develop another gem like Booth.

Not every young player carries on the progression to first team, this is the case for many teams even the big guns down south. Look at Man U, Chelsea etc only a very few break into the top team, the same happens here, only rarely do you get a decent crop of youngsters at the same time, we had this a few years ago with Brown, Whittaker, Thonson etc.

oconnors_strip
04-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Not every young player carries on the progression to first team, this is the case for many teams even the big guns down south. Look at Man U, Chelsea etc only a very few break into the top team, the same happens here, only rarely do you get a decent crop of youngsters at the same time, we had this a few years ago with Brown, Whittaker, Thonson etc.

thats the key word here, BREAK! majority of players only make it IF they get the breaks.

J-C
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
thats the key word here, BREAK! majority of players only make it IF they get the breaks.

A lot of younger guys don't carry on with the levels expected, so instead of getting better, they plateau and fade into lower level football.

Look at Byrne, he was a very hot prospect but didn't progress as expected, now released to probably go to a lower league team.

easty
04-05-2011, 09:09 PM

And they put the work in.

macca70
04-05-2011, 09:09 PM

We don't have the budgets of man utd, Chelsea etc so we should be giving what youth we have a chance, especially at this time of the season when our games are pointless.

What did we have to lose by playing 3/4 youngsters in the last 3 games agains St mirren, St Johnstone and Hamilton.

It just seems that the young guys are not getting the chance to break through that brown, Whittaker, Thomson etc got.

oconnors_strip
04-05-2011, 09:10 PM
A lot of younger guys don't carry on with the levels expected, so instead of getting better, they plateau and fade into lower level football.

yeah i know, ive seen plenty of them in scottish and english football :(

oconnors_strip
04-05-2011, 09:12 PM
We don't have the budgets of man utd, Chelsea etc so we should be giving what youth we have a chance, especially at this time of the season when our games are pointless.

What did we have to lose by playing 3/4 youngsters in the last 3 games agains St mirren, St Johnstone and Hamilton.

It just seems that the young guys are not getting the chance to break through that brown, Whittaker, Thomson etc got.

we dont actually have that many young players to play though.

as i said smith is injured, crawford is away on loan. only other player that CC would likely to include is horner, not sure if he has a knock.

macca70
04-05-2011, 09:13 PM

Look at Byrne, he was a very hot prospect but didn't progress as expected, now released to probably go to a lower league team.

He was never given a proper chance IMO, you can't expect him to play 20 mins here and there. They need to be starting games and get a chance to know and work with there team mates.

easty
04-05-2011, 09:14 PM

We had a lot to lose by throwing in the youngsters. I don't believe for a second that had we put them in and lost the games then the fans would accept it because the youngsters were being brought in for the experience. CC would get slated for it.

Also, who's to say they're ready? Surely if they were they'd already be in the side. You can't just put in the youngsters because it's only 'meaningless games', you're potentially ruining thier chance of making it as a first teamer by destroying thier confidence and the confidence of the manager to throw them in again.

Playing well against other kids doesn't mean you're ready to play against experienced pros.

J-C
04-05-2011, 09:16 PM
I honestly think the loss of resrve football has a lot to do with it, this was where the youger players had a chance to get some much needed experience, now they're farmed out to 2nd/3rd division teams, not exactly great footballing clubs.

Look at down south where their players are loaned out to fellow Premier clubs and Championship ones.

J-C
04-05-2011, 09:21 PM
In the team this season as regulars are Booth, Hanlon (captain) and Wotherspoon all coming through, also there is Towell( from Cetic youth ) and Galbriath( still young ), add Palsson( Iceland U21 ), Stephens and there's a good few young players in our team.

macca70
04-05-2011, 09:30 PM
We had a lot to lose by throwing in the youngsters. I don't believe for a second that had we put them in and lost the games then the fans would accept it because the youngsters were being brought in for the experience. CC would get slated for it.

Also, who's to say they're ready? Surely if they were they'd already be in the side. You can't just put in the youngsters because it's only 'meaningless games', you're potentially ruining thier chance of making it as a first teamer by destroying thier confidence and the confidence of the manager to throw them in again.

Playing well against other kids doesn't mean you're ready to play against experienced pros.

So when will they get a chance if it's not in meaningless games against the other teams in the bottom six.

From the 5 that were given full time contracts from the double winning U19 team, who was actually ever given a decent run in the 1st team?

So they were good enough to be offered full time contract but just in case there confidence was shattered, they were'nt given a chance of 1st team football.

Mikey
04-05-2011, 09:32 PM

Did you not see the amount of crap the manager got for experimenting, and losing, last weekend?

down-the-slope
04-05-2011, 09:38 PM
I honestly think the loss of resrve football has a lot to do with it, this was where the youger players had a chance to get some much needed experience, now they're farmed out to 2nd/3rd division teams, not exactly great footballing clubs.

Look at down south where their players are loaned out to fellow Premier clubs and Championship ones.

This is the major problem that any league reconstruction needs to sort....playing reserve football against experienced pros gave invaluable experience to youngsters trying to prove themselves...also a must for players returning from injury etc...

In the team this season as regulars are Booth, Hanlon (captain) and Wotherspoon all coming through, also there is Towell( from Cetic youth ) and Galbriath( still young ), add Palsson( Iceland U21 ), Stephens and there's a good few young players in our team.
The ave age of team since CC got Jan players in has dropped way down....Sean Welch and Scott Smith may join the ranks if injury and for allow

macca70
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Did you not see the amount of crap the manager got for experimenting, and losing, last weekend?

There's experimenting with youth or experimenting with 1 up front, journeyman pro's and every player back defending corners against the team with worst current scoring record in the league.

Sammy7nil
04-05-2011, 09:43 PM

He "experimented" with 9 1st team regulars who will be here nex t year not untried youngsters And we still got humped by the worst team in the SPL by a mile on current form.

CC just did not get it that is why he was slated. Sodje off Wotherspoon on he had NO Idea where he should be playing Neither did we :greengrin

Perspective
04-05-2011, 09:54 PM
If they're good enough they'll get a chance.

Every summer someone bemoans the fact we let the likes of Kevin McDonald, Damon Gray, Ross Campbell, Lee Currie and now Kurtis Byrne go.

But I can't think of one who has come back to haunt us. Don't really think Kirk Broadfoot or Leigh Griffiths count, but I'd be interested to hear if there's been anyone else.

From what I've seen of the current batch (below first-team level) I don't see any of them becoming regulars at Hibs. Hope I'm wrong, but just don't see it.

easty
04-05-2011, 10:43 PM
So when will they get a chance if it's not in meaningless games against the other teams in the bottom six.

From the 5 that were given full time contracts from the double winning U19 team, who was actually ever given a decent run in the 1st team?

So they were good enough to be offered full time contract but just in case there confidence was shattered, they were'nt given a chance of 1st team football.

They'll get the chance when the manager and coaching staff, who see a lot more of them than we do, decide they are ready for a first team place. Obviously.

Just because we want to keep a youth team player on doesn't mean they have to get a shot in the first team within the next 12 (or even 24) months.

brydekirk
04-05-2011, 10:47 PM
:agree:

Kaiser1962
05-05-2011, 06:19 AM

There are literally hundreds of young players Hibs, and other clubs, have in their "systems" from early teenage years through either HFC itself or through the clubs in the YFA. These guys are monitored every step of the way and very very few make it through the clubs ranks to the 1st team. Hibs probably have as good a success rate as anyone.

They play constantly at East Mains and the coaching staff watch them to death. There are lots of guys on this board who have family currently in the Hibs system and they're occassional posts/threads on the subject are usually worth a read.

I am sure there are cases of players we have deemed not good enough who have then made it in the game, everybody makes mistakes, but overall the staff get it right.

happiehibbie
05-05-2011, 07:43 AM
I was at the Game last night the stand out player for me was our number 9 scored the winner cannot remember his name Very like gary o conner spoke to Scott lindsay after the match they also like him I predict he will make it if he screws the head on and works hard.

also a lad Stanton came on as a sub did well not sure if a realation to our Pat but did the boy looks good and did look a bit like Pat stanton the way he ran from box to box.

I put a post up the Other day regarding doing work for the Darkside it was a Q&A session with John murray from there Acadamy I asked him how we had ran away with the Under 19s last season and I ask him why only one made it through to the 1st team (Booth) he replied saying "if i get one a season I have done well" so thats how hard it is i think to make the first team

happiehibbie
05-05-2011, 07:57 AM
I was at the Game last night the stand out player for me was our number 9 scored the winner cannot remember his name Very like gary o conner spoke to Scott lindsay after the match they also like him I predict he will make it if he screws the head on and works hard.

also a lad Stanton came on as a sub did well not sure if a realation to our Pat but did the boy looks good and did look a bit like Pat stanton the way he ran from box to box.

I put a post up the Other day regarding doing work for the Darkside it was a Q&A session with John murray from there Acadamy I asked him how we had ran away with the Under 19s last season and I ask him why only one made it through to the 1st team (Booth) he replied saying "if i get one a season I have done well" so thats how hard it is i think to make the first team

Ross Caldwell is the player i could not remember

Randerson_4
05-05-2011, 08:45 AM

The number 9?! Sorry but for me he looked big & strong but not got the ability IMO. Much more impressed with the number 11 & also Stanton who looked good when he came on

It's so hard to predict youth football. I seen Hearts 19s last weekend & they absolutely battered Celtic. 8 of the team last night played then & honestly I don't care about the Hibs/Hearts rivalry, they were outstanding & played them off the park. Look at last night, like a totally different team altogether! So hard to predict

On other news, Scott Smith is back in training & played a bounce game the other day for the reserves

happiehibbie
05-05-2011, 10:43 AM
The number 9?! Sorry but for me he looked big & strong but not got the ability IMO. Much more impressed with the number 11 & also Stanton who looked good when he came on

It's so hard to predict youth football. I seen Hearts 19s last weekend & they absolutely battered Celtic. 8 of the team last night played then & honestly I don't care about the Hibs/Hearts rivalry, they were outstanding & played them off the park. Look at last night, like a totally different team altogether! So hard to predict

On other news, Scott Smith is back in training & played a bounce game the other day for the reserves

I agree with you about Addision number 11 i thought was w wee bit lightwieght for me but I found myself watching him a lot turns out he is related to one of my Employees, Number 9 Caldwell for me ran all over the park closed down well and thought his overall postioning and control was good ...goes to show you we all see a diffirent game thats what makes footie so good.

KWJ
05-05-2011, 11:53 AM
It was only a few games ago we had a back 4 of Towell Stephens Hanlon Booth.

Has to be close to if not THE youngest back line we've ever played.

Andy74
05-05-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't really get this. From the same age group we have Wotherspoon, Hanlon and Booth as regulars. That's exceptional as a return.

Beefster
05-05-2011, 03:34 PM
He was never given a proper chance IMO, you can't expect him to play 20 mins here and there. They need to be starting games and get a chance to know and work with there team mates.

You play a player because he's good enough - not purely to develop him or see if he's good enough. If he's not doing it in bounce games or training then I don't see why he should be getting starts.

Booth, Wotherspoon and Hanlon seem to have managed to force their way into the team so I'm sure if Byrne had been good enough, he could have managed it. Especially considering how mince our strike-force was in the first half of the season.

ancient hibee
05-05-2011, 04:50 PM
I think we had 7 under 22 on the park at the finish on Saturday.Isn't that giving young players a chance?

macca70
05-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I think we had 7 under 22 on the park at the finish on Saturday.Isn't that giving young players a chance?

Maybe my original post wasn't clear!

I was referring to developing and bringing through players from our successful youth teams.

Palsson, towel, Stevens, Galbraith didn't come through Hibs youth.

I accept booth, Hanlon and spoony broke through but all my point is why have Deek on the bench and bring him on for 3 mins when he is leaving, that experience would be invaluable to a youth player trying to break through.

Andy74
05-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Maybe my original post wasn't clear!

I was referring to developing and bringing through players from our successful youth teams.

Palsson, towel, Stevens, Galbraith didn't come through Hibs youth.

I accept booth, Hanlon and spoony broke through but all my point is why have Deek on the bench and bring him on for 3 mins when he is leaving, that experience would be invaluable to a youth player trying to break through.

You named 3 which is a great achievement from one age group.

Who did you have in mind instead of Riordan? No one I can think off that's near enough.

truehibernian
05-05-2011, 08:05 PM
http://www.ayrshirepost.net/ayrshire-sport/ayrshire-football/ayr-utd-fc/2011/05/06/hibs-teenager-david-crawford-stakes-play-off-claim-with-ayr-united-102545-28629364/

Nice wee write up about young David Crawford's performance recently. How nice is it to read the words "flying machine" and "tore.....to shreds" when describing a young Hibs player eh :wink:

BEEJ
05-05-2011, 09:27 PM
http://www.ayrshirepost.net/ayrshire-sport/ayrshire-football/ayr-utd-fc/2011/05/06/hibs-teenager-david-crawford-stakes-play-off-claim-with-ayr-united-102545-28629364/

Nice wee write up about young David Crawford's performance recently. How nice is it to read the words "flying machine" and "tore.....to shreds" when describing a young Hibs player eh :wink:
A good read. :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting the link.

HibbyKeith
05-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Would like to think that Scott Taggart who is on the fringes of the first team at the moment could feature more next season, also been really impressed with Lewis Horner from the current u19's squad. caldwell and crawford also look good prospects.

as previously posted the chances of getting so many break into the first team at once as previously (deek, o'connor, brown, thomson, whittaker) is fairly rare, if we can mannage to get 2 from each 19s squad that make the step up then we are doing well.

truehibernian
05-05-2011, 09:44 PM
A good read. :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting the link.

No bother mate. The link below is the third goal. David's driving run and shot is very reminiscent of a certain Mr Sproule one could say........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLH673F044o

Mikey
07-05-2011, 05:01 PM
It was refreshing to see the manager try a few youngsters today. Stephens needs some game time and Taggart got on too. Surely Horner will get a run out in the last couple of games as well.

Presumably no-one is too concerned at the final score today??

BEEJ
07-05-2011, 05:14 PM
It was refreshing to see the manager try a few youngsters today. Stephens needs some game time and Taggart got on too. Surely Horner will get a run out in the last couple of games as well.
Stephens didn't look comfortable at RB but did OK.

It was good to see Taggart get some game time - looked up for it and not at all overawed. Also looked quite impressive with his shots at goal during the warm-up.

I'm afraid I am. Despite the one-sided referee (yet again), we have ended up with another unenviable record today. The only team to lose to Hamilton in their own midden this season.

Growing very tired of all this.

Mikey
07-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Stephens didn't look comfortable at RB but did OK.

It was good to see Taggart get some game time - looked up for it and not at all overawed. Also looked quite impressive with his shots at goal during the warm-up.

Good. That's two things the manager learned today :wink:

Hiber-nation
07-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Have a look at the main match thread! Is anyone not concerned?

sahib
07-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Why are we not seeing more youngsters being given a chance in the 1st team?

I don't care what any of the football insiders who post here say, if we had played the entire U19 team, from the start of the season, I doubt our position would be any worse.

Ed De Gramo
07-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Good to see Scott Taggart come on for his debut :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Don't get me started on Mike Tumilty.....absolute fan dan of the highest order. He's a cheat :agree:

Removed
07-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Good to see Scott Taggart come on for his debut :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Don't get me started on Mike Tumilty.....absolute fan dan of the highest order. He's a cheat :agree:

Really? What would make him cheat :confused:

oconnors_strip
08-05-2011, 12:12 AM

scott smith was also in the squad for todays game but he didnt make the bench, hopefully he will on wednesday or next weekend

KWJ
08-05-2011, 06:31 AM
I don't care what any of the football insiders who post here say, if we had played the entire U19 team, from the start of the season, I doubt our position would be any worse.

Codswallop!

sahib
09-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Codswallop!

Prove it! :greengrin

Just Jimmy
09-05-2011, 07:47 AM
McLeish gave Garry O'Connor his debut away to Dundee in 2000(?) after he'd been on loan.

Sauzee gave Riordan his debut around 2001/2(?) after he'd been on loan, he also went out on loan to cowden after that.

Both players were in and around the first team earlish but let's be honest, it was 2004/5 under Mowbray when they became the players we all 'remember'.

All i'm saying is although they had obvious ability and both were in and around the team, both playing well at times under Williamson, they only really 'made' it at Hibs a few years later when Mowbray arrived. Let's not forget, we nearly lost Whittaker and Riordan to inverness!