PDA

View Full Version : Stephen O'Donnell

Ed De Gramo
03-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Hibs-Mad are reporting that we've taking freed Celtic defender Stephen O'Donnell on trial.

O'Donnell was part of the double winning U19 team.

Thomson
04-05-2011, 08:34 AM
http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hibs_offer_trial_to_freed_celtic_youngster_stephen _odonnell_674710/index.shtml

Any Thoughts?

dangermouse
04-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Keep up (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?209199-Stephen-O-Donnell)

Thomson
04-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Keep up (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?209199-Stephen-O-Donnell)

I apologise :bitchy:

dangermouse
04-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Sorry, should have included either :wink: or :greengrin after the link :greengrin

aberhibsfc
04-05-2011, 09:55 AM
What happened to our own U-19 winning team.

They've been decimated over the last season.

I've lost track of who's left? Is the young Irish (Byrne is it) striker staying on?

I've got the memory of a goldfish these days.

Cocaine&Caviar
04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
What happened to our own U-19 winning team.

They've been decimated over the last season.

I've lost track of who's left? Is the young Irish (Byrne is it) striker staying on?

I've got the memory of a goldfish these days.

No, adding to the likes of Moyes, Currie, Flynn, Deane and Welch etc that havent followed on their success.

Still have had Hanlon, Wotherspoon and Booth all come from that squad though, which is pretty good going. No news on Welsh as yet though.

happiehibbie
04-05-2011, 10:27 AM
After doing some work for the dark side I ask there Director of the youth acadamy about our under 19 squad that cleard every trophy up the other year and asked why really Booth is the only one that made the 1st team He said "if he can get one player a year to get into the first team I am delighted and that I have excelled in my job" Thats how good the guys have to be to make the step up. So what I am trying to say is we got one out of the bunch we have excelled.

--------
04-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Hibs-Mad are reporting that we've taking freed Celtic defender Stephen O'Donnell on trial.

Good idea to take him on trial. Commits us to nothing, but allows us first bite of the cherry of he's good enough.

Maybe this means that there's hope we could sign Richie Towell as well, if Celtic are releasing younger defenders as surplus to requirements.

But I'm never too sure of what Hibs-Mad report - not the first place I'd head for dependable breaking news, tbh.

offshorehibby
04-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Anybody know what position he plays.

JimBHibees
04-05-2011, 11:01 AM
After doing some work for the dark side I ask there Director of the youth acadamy about our under 19 squad that cleard every trophy up the other year and asked why really Booth is the only one that made the 1st team He said "if he can get one player a year to get into the first team I am delighted and that I have excelled in my job" Thats how good the guys have to be to make the step up. So what I am trying to say is we got one out of the bunch we have excelled.

I think that is about it, there is a massive gap between U19 and SPL IMO and only the exceptional ones will make it. The fact we have kids like Booth, Hanlon and Wotherspoon around about the first team is a very good return especially on the back of Deek, Brown, Whitty, GOC etc previously.

Ed De Gramo
04-05-2011, 11:03 AM

RB

http://http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2511843/I-went-from-scrapheap-to-Paradise.html

truehibernian
04-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Full back mate

.Sean.
04-05-2011, 11:29 AM
No, adding to the likes of Moyes, Currie, Flynn, Deane and Welch etc that havent followed on their success.

Still have had Hanlon, Wotherspoon and Booth all come from that squad though, which is pretty good going. No news on Welsh as yet though.I wouldn't have included Hanlon in the U19 winning squad, he was a member of the first team that season.

As for Welsh, i've been told he is getting an extended deal.

supershotmo
04-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Read a few Smeltic websites and he looks a decent player.

Maybe CC knows that Towell will not be here next year and already looking at other options.

Claire07
04-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't have included Hanlon in the U19 winning squad, he was a member of the first team that season.

He's been given a 3 year contract ...

3pm
04-05-2011, 11:53 AM

'Celtic starlet barred from Training ground'

.Sean.
04-05-2011, 11:54 AM
I was told 2 years Claire. I've seen him play numerous times for the 19's and if he can emulate some of those performances for the first team we'll all be delighted.

H18sry
04-05-2011, 12:02 PM
I think that is about it, there is a massive gap between U19 and SPL IMO and only the exceptional ones will make it. The fact we have kids like Booth, Hanlon and Wotherspoon around about the first team is a very good return especially on the back of Deek, Brown, Whitty, GOC etc previously.

When they wee coming through we had an SPL u21/ reserve league so it was easier to keep a bigger squad of youngsters. :agree:

JimBHibees
04-05-2011, 12:30 PM
When they wee coming through we had an SPL u21/ reserve league so it was easier to keep a bigger squad of youngsters. :agree:

Yep time to get the reserve league back and give the young players a bridge to move from u19 to first team.

Andy74
04-05-2011, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't have included Hanlon in the U19 winning squad, he was a member of the first team that season.

He was of that age group though, he just got accelerated into the squad. It's pretty relevant when talking about how many came through to the first team.

I think more than a few fans got carried away by the team winning the double and expected a whole team to come through and make it. One would be good so to have three from that age group as regulars is actually remarkable.

matty_f
04-05-2011, 01:25 PM
He was of that age group though, he just got accelerated into the squad. It's pretty relevant when talking about how many came through to the first team.

I think more than a few fans got carried away by the team winning the double and expected a whole team to come through and make it. One would be good so to have three from that age group as regulars is actually remarkable.

:agree:

It's also worth noting that players like Scott Smith and Scott Taggart are still in the 19s now and have featured on the fringes of the first team at times this season.