PDA

View Full Version : Abbeyhill

EdinICT23
24-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Looking at flats in the area, what's the area like in general?

Thanks

Wembley67
24-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Looking at flats in the area, what's the area like in general?

Thanks

Fine. What are you looking for? It's pretty much city centre as you know, dunno what else you need to know!

EdinICT23
25-03-2011, 07:25 AM
1 bedroom flat, in Waverley Park or Milton Street!

Twa Cairpets
25-03-2011, 08:07 AM

I lived in Waverley Park for a year (20-odd years ago admittedley).

It was a great place to live back then. If you get a high enough flat facing over the park its great to wake up to Salisbury Crags and Arthurs Seat every day.

Good for Hibs, transport, walking back from town after a night out, decent shops / grub nearby. Only slight downside is the lack of a good boozer on your doorstep as the Artisan doesnt really cut it for me. Other than that all good if you ask me.

EskbankHibby
25-03-2011, 10:37 AM
I lived in Waverley Park for a year (20-odd years ago admittedley).

It was a great place to live back then. If you get a high enough flat facing over the park its great to wake up to Salisbury Crags and Arthurs Seat every day.

Good for Hibs, transport, walking back from town after a night out, decent shops / grub nearby. Only slight downside is the lack of a good boozer on your doorstep as the Artisan doesnt really cut it for me. Other than that all good if you ask me.

Can only echo this, we stay just off Lower London Road, great spot and quick into (or out of) town. Could do with a good boozer that i could take the Mrs to, Limelite is only good one in area imo.

easty
25-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Can only echo this, we stay just off Lower London Road, great spot and quick into (or out of) town. Could do with a good boozer that i could take the Mrs to, Limelite is only good one in area imo.

No been in there for a while, but that place used to be rubbish!

EskbankHibby
25-03-2011, 01:03 PM
No been in there for a while, but that place used to be rubbish!

Should probably qualify 'good' by saying it's the only one in the area my Mrs will join me for a drink in.:greengrin

I really like it, the owner Andy has done it up well.

Marabou Stork
25-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Should probably qualify 'good' by saying it's the only one in the area my Mrs will join me for a drink in.

Good god. That's never a good thing for a pub. I go the pub to avoid her, not to have a pleasant evening with her.

EskbankHibby
25-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Good god. That's never a good thing for a pub. I go the pub to avoid her, not to have a pleasant evening with her.

How do you know my Mrs?:devil:

Hillsidehibby
25-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Spent the first 10 years of my life (5 of us) in a room and kitchen in Milton Street.

Great place back then. Holyrood Park at the top of the street, Easter Road a short walk away.

Probably a bit biased but I would recommend the place.

fat freddy
25-03-2011, 05:36 PM
had my first acid trip in a flat in milton street around 1980...brown microdots...it was cosmic...went up to the chippie on montrose terrace and all the sweeties were sparkly and green so we bought every green sweetie they had, pacers, polos, green rizlas ect...went back to milton street and had a shower...best shower i ever had.

EdinICT23
26-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Cheers for advice, went down today for a look, nice area. Milton Street looks better, bit pricey though! £115,000 for a 1-bedroom flat jeez

1two
26-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Ive stay on Abbey Lane forlast 4 years with her. Unfortunately it's a small one bedroom flat and we'll be looking to move soon, cos I love the area and doubt well be able to afford bigger round here!
Lack of 'good' pubs is it's only down fall although it's a short walk to royal mile boozers or a long crawl home!

EdinICT23
26-03-2011, 04:22 PM
When are you thinking of selling? Cheapest I can see is £99,000 on Waverley Park.

heretoday
27-03-2011, 08:43 PM
It's great. I was born in Elsie Inglis Hosp and lived in Dalgety Ave for the first and best part of my married life. Drank in The Artisan. Surrounded by solid Labour men and women.

Handy for the Hibs. Cheap shops.

I constantly hark back to those happy days. I want to have my ashes spread in Abbeyhill.

Wembley67
27-03-2011, 09:05 PM
It's great. I was born in Elsie Inglis Hosp and lived in Dalgety Ave for the first and best part of my married life. Drank in The Artisan. Surrounded by solid Labour men and women.

Handy for the Hibs. Cheap shops.

I constantly hark back to those happy days. I want to have my ashes spread in Abbeyhill.

You like Abbeyhill then? :greengrin

heretoday
27-03-2011, 09:46 PM
You like Abbeyhill then? :greengrin

Ha Ha you devil! Yes I do.

Mind you I now live in Corstorphine and sit listening to Beethoven all day so I'm a world away really.

They were great days though.

Phil D. Rolls
01-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Try Utopia on Easter Road.

I can only echo what other people have said. I have a flat off Lower London Road, although I don't stay there as often as I'd like to.

You have all the amenities on your doorstep, Easter Road nearby and a great bus service that has you in town in 5 minutes.

God knows why I'm in Muirhouse. :boo hoo:

Wembley67
01-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Ha Ha you devil! Yes I do.

Mind you I now live in Corstorphine and sit listening to Beethoven all day so I'm a world away really.

They were great days though.

And I'm doing the exact opposite, leaving corrie end after many years and moving to abbeyhill area!