PDA

View Full Version : Mick McGhee Memorial

Boris
08-03-2011, 05:17 PM
It's been just over 5 months now since the Hibs Family lost the one & only Mick McGhee - without a doubt one of the greatest supporters the club has had & unique in his own inimitable way! His funeral back on 30 September was an event in itself as I'm sure anyone who was there will recall. A collection was taken that day with the intention of providing a lasting memorial to Mick & the club he dedicated his life to & to possibly link that memorial into the club's youth sides which meant every bit as much to Mick as the first team. His "laddies" he would refer to them as. The collection taken amounted to £776.

There have been some informal discussions with club officials as to what form the memorial could take. A number of suggestions were put forward but the best one came from coach Alistair Stevenson & that's the one we've run with. Details have still to be finalised but we're nearly there & I just wanted to update people as its been longer than we intended since the funeral. Unfortunately, we had no choice in that as there were some administraive hold-ups over sorting out paying for Mick's funeral. I don't want to embarasss anyone by going into detail but anyone who knew Mick will not be surprised to hear that he died without leaving any financial provisions & basically the funeral was paid for partly by the DSS but largely by a small group of good Hibbies who would prefer to remain in the background as is their right. It is only within the last couple of weeks that we have finally got things settled with the DSS. I would emphasise that the collection money was always ringfenced & held in a separate bank account. We hoped that there might a liitle bit left over from the funeral contributions to add to the memorial collection & indeed that is the case, even if it is only around £30.

Anyway, that's the background. The memorial will consist of two wooden bench seats (of the kind you see in parks, public places, etc) to be placed in a suitable area at the club's training complex at East Mains. Both will have a suitably inscribed memorial plaque. Suggestions for appropriate wording welcome - but keep it clean (unlike Mick's language!).

I'll update again when arrangements are finalised.

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I think the bench is a great idea, I knew Mick well and we always had a right laugh when we bumped into each other.

RIP Mick

:not worth

Hibbyradge
08-03-2011, 07:38 PM
I think the bench is a great idea, I knew Mick well and we always had a right laugh when we bumped into each other.

:not worth

Can I suggest you delete your "on a lesser note" sentence. Chances are it will lead to a political debate and the thread going off topic.

oldbutdim
08-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Can I suggest you delete your "on a lesser note" sentence. Chances are it will lead to a political debate and the thread going off topic.

.................. and your quote.

That just draws attention...............wait a minute.......:foot:

fat freddy
08-03-2011, 08:01 PM
may i suggest the following...

...........................Mick Mcghee............................
up in heaven he'll be singing with the angels high above
...................GLORY TO THE HIBEES........................
..............they're the team that he loved..................

H18sry
08-03-2011, 08:03 PM
may i suggest the following...

...........................Mick Mcghee............................
up in heaven he'll be singing with the angels high above
...................GLORY TO THE HIBEES........................
..............they're the only team he loved..................

:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
08-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Great memorial to Mick McGhee, and one he would be proud of......

What about " C'mon my laddies, I am still watching you from above" or of course "Any comps boys":wink:

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-03-2011, 08:11 PM

Maybe it's an idea you delete my quote on your page then eh? :confused:

Boris
08-03-2011, 08:43 PM
"Any comps boys":wink:

Brilliant Brockie:thumbsup:

BT58
09-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Maybe the bench should read
AS YOU SIT ON THIS BENCH
SUPPORT MY BOYS
AS I SUPPORT YOUR WEIGHT
AND WHO THE **** HAD THAT INDIAN