PDA

View Full Version : Working Abroad

steve75
07-03-2011, 02:57 PM
I'v recently been looking into spending the summer working in Australia. I have a fair bit of family over there so things like getting settled in, accommodation and even finding a job, on the face of it will be a lot easier for me than it could have been.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever done this, or similar before? Really needing to know how much money I'd be needing to take to get me started up before I start working?

I'm looking to go for 2-3 months.

Anyone got next weeks lottery numbers? :wink:

Pretty Boy
07-03-2011, 03:15 PM
I'v recently been looking into spending the summer working in Australia. I have a fair bit of family over there so things like getting settled in, accommodation and even finding a job, on the face of it will be a lot easier for me than it could have been.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever done this, or similar before? Really needing to know how much money I'd be needing to take to get me started up before I start working?

I'm looking to go for 2-3 months.

Anyone got next weeks lottery numbers? :wink:

Spend a bit of time looking into it but if there doesn't appear to be any major obstacles then my advice is do it.

Jobs probably aren't as plentiful as they once were but chances are you will still pick up something.

I was going through a bit of a rough time about 4 years ago and decided to get away from everything, decided one week and moved into an apartment in Barcelona the next. Spent just under a year there and loved it. Started off working in an ex pat bar and as my Catalans improved i moved onto a local bar before ending up on reception in a hotel. Wasn't great money but loved the culture and the local football team wasn't bad either.

The ammount of money you need really depends on how quickly you find a job and what you plan to do over there. If youy are just going to live an everyday life then you will get by on a surprisingly small ammount, if you fancy catching flights etc to see other parts of the country then budget accordingly. I moved away with 400 euros for a months rent and another £750 in my pocket, i was lucky i found a job almost immediately though as realistically you probably need a bit more than this.

The world is a big place and there is so much to see and do, give it a go then you won't look back with regrets that you didn't try, living abroad was easily the best experience of my life.

steve75
07-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Spend a bit of time looking into it but if there doesn't appear to be any major obstacles then my advice is do it.

Jobs probably aren't as plentiful as they once were but chances are you will still pick up something.

I was going through a bit of a rough time about 4 years ago and decided to get away from everything, decided one week and moved into an apartment in Barcelona the next. Spent just under a year there and loved it. Started off working in an ex pat bar and as my Catalans improved i moved onto a local bar before ending up on reception in a hotel. Wasn't great money but loved the culture and the local football team wasn't bad either.

The ammount of money you need really depends on how quickly you find a job and what you plan to do over there. If youy are just going to live an everyday life then you will get by on a surprisingly small ammount, if you fancy catching flights etc to see other parts of the country then budget accordingly. I moved away with 400 euros for a months rent and another £750 in my pocket, i was lucky i found a job almost immediately though as realistically you probably need a bit more than this.

The world is a big place and there is so much to see and do, give it a go then you won't look back with regrets that you didn't try, living abroad was easily the best experience of my life.

Yeah i'm absolutely gagging just to get out and do something different. The biggest problem is the money, i'd have to leave about a grand here to pay my rent/bills along with £700-£1000 for return flights. But i wouldn't really be looking to travel much when I'm there, most likely just stay around Perth with family.

discman
07-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah i'm absolutely gagging just to get out and do something different. The biggest problem is the money, i'd have to leave about a grand here to pay my rent/bills along with £700-£1000 for return flights. But i wouldn't really be looking to travel much when I'm there, most likely just stay around Perth with family.

Give up the flat: grand saved, stay longer than 2/3months or travel a bit NZ is worth a look, you could probabley save your airfare if you stay out longer :greengrin

Agree with everything PB says and lifes not a dummy run,go for it and aw the best:thumbsup:

DH1875
07-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Thing is, Austraila is a lot different and harder to do than Spain. Firstly you need a visa which is hard enough, never mind a working visa. It depends on a lot of things like your age, cash, what family you've got, work skills you got etc... If you got any sort of convictions, then forget about it.

Your best bet it to try Australia house. You can do one of them trial application type things on their web site and it will let you know how many points you need and if you have a chance of getting in.

If you only going for 2 months I'd try and forget about a working visa. Would your family feed you and put you up? Or would they at least say they would to an immigration officer? If so it drastically reduces the amount of cash you have to prove you have at your disposal. Either way you got to have at least the cost of a return flight in your bank although I have herd that now a days it might even be £1000 in the bank.

Allant1981
07-03-2011, 07:26 PM
I thought they had done away with the money thing for australia, my wife and i looked into moving and for the life of me cant mind mentioning how much money we had, in the end we didnt go as she got pregnant and didnt want to be away from her folks so soon after the wee man was born but trying to convince her to go again.

Speedy
07-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Thing is, Austraila is a lot different and harder to do than Spain. Firstly you need a visa which is hard enough, never mind a working visa. It depends on a lot of things like your age, cash, what family you've got, work skills you got etc... If you got any sort of convictions, then forget about it.

Your best bet it to try Australia house. You can do one of them trial application type things on their web site and it will let you know how many points you need and if you have a chance of getting in.

If you only going for 2 months I'd try and forget about a working visa. Would your family feed you and put you up? Or would they at least say they would to an immigration officer? If so it drastically reduces the amount of cash you have to prove you have at your disposal. Either way you got to have at least the cost of a return flight in your bank although I have herd that now a days it might even be £1000 in the bank.

I was there about 8 months ago and got a visa no problem, although I got a tourist(non-working) visa.

I don't think you need to look at points etc. unless you are wanting to move over there permanently, may be wrong though.

I thought they had done away with the money thing for australia, my wife and i looked into moving and for the life of me cant mind mentioning how much money we had, in the end we didnt go as she got pregnant and didnt want to be away from her folks so soon after the wee man was born but trying to convince her to go again.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it. Might be different when applying for permanent residence.

To OP: It's very expensive in Sydney and Melbourne. No idea what it's like in Perth

steve75
08-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Give up the flat: grand saved, stay longer than 2/3months or travel a bit NZ is worth a look, you could probabley save your airfare if you stay out longer :greengrin

Agree with everything PB says and lifes not a dummy run,go for it and aw the best:thumbsup:

Wish I could, on a lease and I'll be back at uni in September anyway.

You need roughly £2500 in the bank for entry on a 12 month visa, plus £500 if you don't have a return flight. I'd assume this would be relative to the length the visa is for.

Well that was just a rough guess, if I could get it together I could potentially do middle of may to middle of September, so 4 months, and would realistically need to work.

Though I can't see me sorting all this by may, I think my best bet is to see how much I can organise, and if it becomes unfeasible, just shift my plans to when I finished uni and go out for the year when I have no ties here.
Which seems the more sound plan, but waiting is definitely not my strong suit.

Allant1981
09-03-2011, 05:20 PM
You might be right about the money, i asked the wife and she said they did ask, tbh if ur planning on moving perm then you would want more than 3k in the bank anyway, we have friends who live in oz and they cant imagine coming back, yip you have to work still but the quality of life is so much better(hope the mrs is reading this)

Woody1985
10-03-2011, 08:02 AM
I have a friend who went over about august, September and he took 5 and a half grand. He's only going for a year or so and he said it ran out quickly when I spoke to him in January. He said he'd have taken more if he was to do it again.