PDA

View Full Version : Wonders of the Universe

Sylar
06-03-2011, 02:41 PM
For anyone interested, the new series with Professor Brian Cox (professor of particle physics at the University of Manchester and Fellow of the Royal Society) called "The Wonders of the Universe" starts on BBC 2 tonight at 9pm.

Attended a research briefing of his at Edinburgh a few months back and ended up going for a drink with him afterward (he's good friends with my PhD supervisor) and he is such a top guy and a bloody genius.

Looking forward to his new series.

Ryan91
06-03-2011, 03:43 PM
One of my friends on my course at Uni fancies him, and now that he's back on the telly she probably won't shut up about him, that said though I am looking forward to seeing the new series, Wonders of the Solar System was incredible. All his shows have been really good

Pretty Boy
06-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Brian Cox is brilliant.

Seems like a top guy and his efforts to make science 'cool' and accessible to all deserves to be applauded.

His shows are always interesting, easy enough to understand that they don't totally lose you but in depth enough so as not to treat the viewer like an idiot.

:aok:

Sylar
06-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Brian Cox is brilliant.

Seems like a top guy and his efforts to make science 'cool' and accessible to all deserves to be applauded.

His shows are always interesting, easy enough to understand that they don't totally lose you but in depth enough so as not to treat the viewer like an idiot.

:aok:

Thought he done very well tonight. With a subject like entropy and the dynamics of time and universal decay, it's extremely easy to lose an audience by going far too in depth.

I gave a conference lecture on the decay principle of the sun and the impact of entropy on climate dynamics over a huge future projection timeline last year in the USA and I knew as I was going through that it was so loaded with theory, numbers and calculation that the audience looked lost, despite the spread of leading expertise in the audience.

He managed to convey the vastness of the mathematics without boggling the mind and I imagine that most people would have been able to follow that without much issue.

Wish I had his ability :greengrin

.Sean.
06-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Is it true he played keyboard for D:Ream?

Pete
07-03-2011, 12:31 AM
I was getting into the program and had to cut off after 15 minutes but from what I did see I was very impressed with the delivery. As previously stated he doesn't let the subject get too detatched from general viewers who aren't experts.

This guy is young, good looking and knows his stuff, The perfect face for such programs as far as broadcasters are concerned. It's a sad fact that if the presenter was bald and in his fifties the program would probably attract a lot less viewers.

I hope we're looking at the first "celebrity professor" here. In a perfect world he would get a lot more recognition/riches than other young masters of their trade who are also perfect for TV such as Jamie Oliver, Gok Wan etc...

whiskyhibby
07-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Good programme..........question I have is if entropy always increases than why did stars, planets and other galactic bodies form? Surely a case of entropy decreasing?

Calvin
22-03-2011, 12:46 AM
If you're fans of Cox then you might be interested in this. (http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_scotland&query=detail&event=424365&referral_id=newcomedy)

greenlex
22-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Is it true he played keyboard for D:Ream?
:agree:

Hibs Class
22-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Good programme..........question I have is if entropy always increases than why did stars, planets and other galactic bodies form? Surely a case of entropy decreasing?

Gravity?