PDA

View Full Version : Question Any memories of Hibs games being called off and you were en-route?

iwasthere1972
04-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I can recall only 3 at the moment but may add to it later.

Early 70's away to Clyde. Luckily only got to St Andrew's Sq Bus Station
where there was a sign saying "Hibs match off"

1983 (New Year) at home to Hearts. Got as far as the top of Leith Walk when it was announced on the radio that the match had been postponed due to the weather. Me and my brother decided to get off the bus and pop into the Conan Doyle for a bevvy. Made a hasty exit when we discovered that it was full of Yams. :greengrin

2004/2005? away to Motherwell. Travelled to Haymarket from Balerno and got the train through to Motherwell. Thought the train and the streets of Motherwell were a bit quiet when I got there as it was 2pm by this time. Bumped into another couple of Hibbys who told me the match had been postponed earlier that day :doh:

I'm sure most of you will have more interesting stories than me so in the words of Delia Smith "Lets be having you". :aok:

Iggy Pope
04-03-2011, 10:46 PM

1983 (New Year) at home to Hearts. Got as far as the top of Leith Walk when it was announced on the radio that the match had been postponed due to the weather. Me and my brother decided to get off the bus and pop into the Conan Doyle for a bevvy. Made a hasty exit when we discovered that it was full of Yams. :greengrin

2004/2005? away to Motherwell. Travelled to Haymarket from Balerno and got the train through to Motherwell. Thought the train and the streets of Motherwell were a bit quiet when I got there as it was 2pm by this time. Bumped into another couple of Hibbys who told me the match had been postponed earlier that day :doh:

I'm sure most of you will have more interesting stories than me so in the words of Delia Smith "Lets be having you". :aok:

1976-77 New Year derby at Tynie. Gutted. Worth it in the end though, about a million attempts later.

Also recall a midweek trip to Firhill late 70s when we were stepping off the Hawkhill bus before we were told it was off.

HibbyAndy
04-03-2011, 10:48 PM
St.mirren away must have been roond aboot 91-92

SteveHFC
04-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Dens Park 2003

HibbyAndy
04-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Hearts away 94.

NthCarolinaHibs
04-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Away to AEK Athens on 9/11..

wazoo1875
04-03-2011, 10:55 PM

Was that the derby that got called off a couple of times due to thick snow and eventually ended up 2-2 ?

I ended up in the sports bar on market street all day of the motherwell game that was called off

sambajustice
04-03-2011, 11:00 PM
St mirren the season we were in the first division. Was on easter road walking down and met my cousin coming back up saying it was called off. I think their bus broke down or got caught in traffic. Went to the rearranged midweek game, we won four nowt!

AFKA5814_Hibs
04-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Aberdeen (?) at home 1995. Midweek game at ER, game was called off about 30 mins before ko due to a power cut.

St Mirren (h) 1998 - St Mirren team bus was stuck on the M8 due to an accident. Was in the pub (Shades IIRC) from about 12pm, stayed there all afternoon was home extremely pissed by about 8pm. :greengrin

Iggy Pope
04-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Aberdeen (?) at home 1995. Midweek game at ER, game was called off about 30 mins before ko due to a power cut.
St Mirren (h) 1998 - St Mirren team bus was stuck on the M8 due to an accident. Was in the pub (Shades IIRC) from about 12pm, stayed there all afternoon was home extremely pissed by about 8pm. :greengrin

I had a feeling it was Partick? Never mind that though, how many thousand were stuck outside?
:greengrin

HibbyAndy
04-03-2011, 11:04 PM
St mirren the season we were in the first division. Was on easter road walking down and met my cousin coming back up saying it was called off. I think their bus broke down or got caught in traffic. Went to the rearranged midweek game, we won four nowt!

:agree:

I was heading to that game too :agree: Ended up in the Windsor Buffet watching a Jeff Stellingesque programme and Motherwell beat Hearts 2-0 :greengrin

iwasthere1972
04-03-2011, 11:12 PM
St.mirren away must have been roond aboot 91-92

Hearts away 94.

I was heading to that game too :agree: Ended up in the Windsor Buffet watching a Jeff Stellingesque programme and Motherwell beat Hearts 2-0 :greengrin

Holy moses Andy you're a bloody jinx. :greengrin

Is this you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDU7JQWiUMM

givescotlandfreedom
I had a feeling it was Partick? Never mind that though, how many thousand were stuck outside?

It was, I mind of it as a wee laddie - I had a programme and everything.

ArabHibee
Headed through to ER for a week night game about 4 years ago, only to find that we had the wrong night. Wondered why the streets were so quiet driving up Easter road.
:doh:

Jones28
04-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Literally on the way out the door when we heard that a game against Motherwell had been called off due to a frozen pitch. Gutted
Also, when I was about 4 I remember being in Robbies on Leith Walk and a St Mirren team bus crashed en route to ER, game off.

iwasthere1972
04-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Was that the derby that got called off a couple of times due to thick snow and eventually ended up 2-2 ?

I ended up in the sports bar on market street all day of the motherwell game that was called off

Not too sure. Not even sure if it was 1983. Just remember being up here on holiday (aye in January :rolleyes:) and was treating my wee bruv. Bumped into a couple of Yams on the North Bridge and there was some mention of bunjee jumping off the bridge but without the rope or whatever it's called. :greengrin My brother was up for it but I wanted to live another day.

iwasthere1972
04-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Headed through to ER for a week night game about 4 years ago, only to find that we had the wrong night. Wondered why the streets were so quiet driving up Easter road.

:faf: That beats my Motherwell balls up.

Mibbes Aye
04-03-2011, 11:19 PM

Thought it was Partick too. Also thought it was later than '95 but that's just me getting old I suspect :greengrin.

IIRC there was some apocalyptic-style siren/PA system used to communicate the match abandonment to the massed throngs outside :confused:

wazoo1875
04-03-2011, 11:26 PM

Amazing :greengrin

Not too sure. Not even sure if it was 1983. Just remember being up here on holiday (aye in January :rolleyes:) and was treating my wee bruv. Bumped into a couple of Yams on the North Bridge and there was some mention of bunjee jumping off the bridge but without the rope or whatever it's called. :greengrin My brother was up for it but I wanted to live another day.

What a way to go that would've been :greengrin

Holidaying in Edinburgh, in January is the future :not worth

HibbyAndy
04-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Holy moses Andy you're a bloody jinx. :greengrin

Is this you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDU7JQWiUMM

Top track :hilarious

Purple & Green
04-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Hearts home 87, which ended up being played about ten days later and George mcluskey and Mickey weir scored

AFKA5814_Hibs
04-03-2011, 11:41 PM

Yeah, think it was Partick.

There was a game v Aberdeen that was called off, mid/late 80's, game was ok until about 2pm then a monsoon came down and the game was called off not long before ko. TBH, we've been quite fortunate over the years for games at ER, very few called off throughout the years.

fat freddy
04-03-2011, 11:45 PM
1976-77 New Year derby at Tynie. Gutted. Worth it in the end though, about a million attempts later.

Also recall a midweek trip to Firhill late 70s when we were stepping off the Hawkhill bus before we were told it was off.

i think it was 78....a tuesday night cup tie...we arrived at the stadium to be told it was off....it was rescheduled for the following night and we returned to see hibs get beat 2-1.

wazoo1875
04-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Hearts home 87, which ended up being played about ten days later and George mcluskey and Mickey weir scored

Jeez, i knew i was young but thought that game was longer in the past than 87

monktonharp
04-03-2011, 11:55 PM
it was PARTICK midweek, we were on a great run iirc, then it went tits up as usual when it was re-arranged The M'well one was disgraceful, full bus ready to leave from Joppa whjen a member came in ,only to tell us it was off.and yet it was a lovely day in March

iwasthere1972
05-03-2011, 12:13 AM
it was PARTICK midweek, we were on a great run iirc, then it went tits up as usual when it was re-arranged The M'well one was disgraceful, full bus ready to leave from Joppa whjen a member came in ,only to tell us it was off.and yet it was a lovely day in March

The one I was talking about was in January and I think we were on a good run at the time. The rescheduled game was 1-1 and I think DR scored with a penalty.

Bank of Scotland Premierleague Results - 29 January 2005
Dundee United 2 Dundee 2
Heart of Midlothian 1 Aberdeen 0
Inverness Caledonian Thistle 2 Dunfermline 0
Rangers 3 Livingston 0
Motherwell v Hibernian has been postponed as the undersoil heating at Fir Park has failed.
Kilmarnock v Celtic will be played on Sunday.

Are you talking about another game?

snooky
05-03-2011, 12:46 AM
I remember in the Tornados era - I think it was against Motherwell - a thick fog came in off the Forth in the second half and the game was abandoned.
IIRC, we were winning at the time.

Nando™
05-03-2011, 12:54 AM
I remember travelling away with my old man, the game was called off when we were "nearly at Firhill."

Now I dunno where Firhill is in Glasgow so it could have been Partick, Celtc, Rangers or some team further than Glasgow.

Roughly 1997.

delbert
05-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Think the Motherwell game you are referring to was the one early 70's where it was actually 1-1 when it was abandoned due to fog, game had gone less than 20 mins, was replayed a few weeks later and Hibs won 1-0, I was at both games. Travelled with the Bonnyrigg Hibs Supporters Club, our bus had left after dropping us off to do another hire, came back to pick us up outside the bakery as normal at about 21:15 to find us all freezing and ****in raging, but we all knew the driver, Jim Graham, a good lad, wisnae his fault, just so glad to get home that night, a long wait standing in freezing fog.

snooky
05-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Think the Motherwell game you are referring to was the one early 70's where it was actually 1-1 when it was abandoned due to fog, game had gone less than 20 mins, was replayed a few weeks later and Hibs won 1-0, I was at both games. Travelled with the Bonnyrigg Hibs Supporters Club, our bus had left after dropping us off to do another hire, came back to pick us up outside the bakery as normal at about 21:15 to find us all freezing and ****in raging, but we all knew the driver, Jim Graham, a good lad, wisnae his fault, just so glad to get home that night, a long wait standing in freezing fog.

Your memory is much better than mine :greengrin :not worth
Thanks for that.

Edit: I can't remember receiving any reimbursement from the club for the 20min game.

reservoir hibee
05-03-2011, 01:49 AM
i remember being at the midweek partick thistle gamea nd i was pretty unhappy as it was my birthday that night im sure!!!!

8th of november if anybody cares to confirm

i am pretty sure that one of my mates had arranged my birthday to be mentioned over our world class pa system and thast why i was so upset but then realised that at least we did nto get beat on my birthday

just a little sidenote but it was also my birthdya in the game against hearts at ER when rob jones scored teh only goal of the game!!

maybe we should change the scottish cup final date to november the 8th??:wink:

hibee92
05-03-2011, 03:22 AM

not even gonna bother reading the rest of this thread, nothings gonna beat that! :rotflmao::hilarious:faf::faf::top marks

erin go bragh
05-03-2011, 07:05 AM
can remember being on the bus for a new year derby 87 ,when the game was called off , water logged pitch , bus were rocking and the drink was plentyfull . felt as bad as a defeat at the time,gutted !
ggtth

BoltonHibee
05-03-2011, 09:37 AM
I came back from Australia for the New Years day derby in '87?? the game was called off about 2 hours before kick off. I was absolutely gutted!! Managed to get to the game in v Falkirk a few days later that I think we won 3 nil, then returned to Oz missing the rescheduled derby....

St Mirren game, when their bus was held up in traffic. We were just turning into Easter Road when it came on the radio, that was only a 4 hour drive compared to the 30 hours travel from Sydney!

The Motherwell game a few seasons ago, that is only a 2.5 hour drive from Bolton so it wasn't so bad. Can remember being totally baffled by that decision as everywhere around the ground was frost free!!

Keith_M
05-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Me too. I was so desperate for something to do, I went to watch the athletics at Meadowbank.

Vini1875
05-03-2011, 12:20 PM
There was a game at St Mirren maybe 1980 which was called off due to snow. Thing was some of us had already climbed in and had hide in the toilets until just after 2pm then strolled out as if we had paid in. We couldn't believe when the steward told us the turnstiles hadn't been opened yet as they were still trying to clear snow off the pitch.