PDA

View Full Version : Jefferies On The OF Game

Sas_The_Hibby
04-03-2011, 09:59 AM
I actually have some (grudging) respect for Jim Jefferies :duck: but I think he's lost the plot here, unless it's all tongue in cheek, in which case, when it comes to the potential violence OF games can cause, it's not very funny.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/39Passion39-good-for-Scots-game.6728246.jp

Phil MaGlass
04-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Actually quite stupid what he said, even the Dutch were having a laugh, no skill but passion they said, 22 idiots with no football skill, thats all it is to them.
It only puts Scottish fitba in a worse light than what its already in.
THROW THE F,N BOOK AT THE OF AND START DEDUCTING POINTS,
How long do we have to keep being dragged into the gutter by the OF??

I would seriously love to see them both deducted 5 points each, not only for the game itself but for all their fines bans and the whole shebang they have had this season. If it meant hertz getting into europe because of it, so be it.
Mibbe thats what the SFA have to do, threaten that they will be dropped from european competition for a year. Hit the ****er,s where it hurts.

Geo_1875
04-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Surely the SPL can't deduct league points for what happened during and after a Scottish Cup game. They don't have the authority to do so.

givescotlandfreedom
04-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Which face was Jeffries talking out of?

Scouse Hibee
04-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Nothing wrong with that article IMO, agree with what he said as do an awful lot of people down South who tune into OF games to see just that. :top marks

Hakim Sar
04-03-2011, 11:30 AM
personally don't see what is wrong with what Fat Jim said. I agree with many of the points that he makes.

if we can't win folk over with our 'skills' lets show them passion, grit and a ding-dong battle

red cards make a game exciting at times, but can also ruin games... it's a fine line.

As for the trouble around the country when they play each other??? pffft how you gonna stop it?

as rabbie burns would say - ''a neds a ned far a'that''

let them get on with it i say

Cabbage East
04-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Obviously Jeffries is a massive bellend but I think what he's saying is fair enough.

--------
04-03-2011, 11:57 AM
"A little taster for the future"?

Just what does THAT mean? :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
04-03-2011, 12:04 PM
"A little taster for the future"?

Just what does THAT mean? :rolleyes:

I think he means when McCoist takes over as Gers manager.

In general a pretty flippant number of quotes from FJK and comes across as a bit crass 1) given the enormous social problems that are linked to this game and 2) the view that this sort of bedlam is in some way good for Scottish football.

If his view is that Scotland being seen as a medieval bigotted backwater is good for the game he may have a point. :rolleyes:

allezsauzee
04-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Way too much made out of this game already. Handbags as far as the on the field /touchline antics go. It's quite sad that the 2 best teams in Scotland couldn't produce a better game though, must be the least talented set of old firm players that I've seen.

--------
04-03-2011, 12:36 PM

In general a pretty flippant number of quotes from FJK and comes across as a bit crass 1) given the enormous social problems that are linked to this game and 2) the view that this sort of bedlam is in some way good for Scottish football.

If his view is that Scotland being seen as a medieval bigotted backwater is good for the game he may have a point. :rolleyes:

So he looks forward to future OF meetings stirring up hatred and causing all sorts of mayhem throughout West and Central Scotland? This is a good thing?

So if you and I decide to bounce screwtops off his napper at the next Edinburgh derby, that's all part of life's rich tapestry - part of Scottish popular culture and really good for the game?

Well, it's an argument... :rolleyes:

Bad Martini
04-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Fat Jim can at times be an odious little yam twat.

And some of things he said, were just wrong.

BUT, regardless of whether it was him who said it or not, some of the points he is trying to make, are quite right IMHO.

I don't want to see a game with no passion or players going through the motions...we've seen that ourselves and its no good. Don't get me wrong, I DONT agree with sectarian and religious hatred and hate the old firm for that but, in terms of players and staff giving a ****, thats good. BUT, in fairness, they all pretty much over-stepped that mark the other night.

I think Fat Jim was making a valid point but he made it all wrong.

That said, chuck the book at the rangers and celtic *******s, make them play behind closed doors and lets see them both loose a nice chunk of money til they learn to play nice.

They need to learn from the pioneers of a local derby. Dont misunderstand; I dont like the yams :greengrin, but, the one thing they are not, is the old firm. And that, is something.

ENDOF

PeeKay
04-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Best comment I have seen so far is from Graham Spiers.
Certainly, while various Scottish football officials lament these events at Celtic Park, the sports executives of Sky television simply cannot get enough of it and want to pay the Scottish game bigger and bigger cheques for more of the same. Are these cheques to be turned down while the game is cleaned up?

As always, money talks.

Hibstrooper
04-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Didn't Calderwood essentially say the same thing? There were quotes in the record this morning from some spl managers on the game and CC's were along the lines of actually enjoying watching and it was good viewing.

What's peoples opinion now?

JimBHibees
04-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Didn't Calderwood essentially say the same thing? There were quotes in the record this morning from some spl managers on the game and CC's were along the lines of actually enjoying watching and it was good viewing.

What's peoples opinion now?

Must have been misquoted and taken out of context.:wink:

WindyMiller
04-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Must have been misquoted and taken out of context.:wink:

They certainly must have been, by someone :wink: ;

COLIN CALDERWOOD reckons warring Old Firm pair Neil Lennon and Ally McCoist should be cut some slack because they lost it as they chased the Treble.
The Hibs boss looked on open-mouthed at Parkhead on Wednesday night as former Scotland team-mate McCoist went head to head with his ex-Nottingham Forest player Lennon.
Calderwood, who has been named Clydesdale Bank Manager of the Month for February, knows there are lines in the game - and in life - that should not be crossed but refused to condemn two fiery characters for losing control as they battled to protect their ambitions for the season.
The Easter Road gaffer said: "We're all entitled to an exchange of views between one another. Sometimes other people get involved and you can't have a mass confrontation of benches.
"There are certain things people do within football on the sidelines you wouldn't want in the perfect world but it's about gaining an inch, an edge, a point, a goal - a treble.
"All those things are taken into consideration and you get to the point where you think you will do almost anything to win. But you can't.
"You have to come back to the rules and laws of the land and then of football.
"It was interesting to watch at Celtic Park.
"The fans of both clubs reacted to what was happening on the pitch and didn't want any of their team to take a backwards step or any of their staff to take a backward step. That was very apparent. It was heated.
"Sure, there's a responsibility to lead by example on the touchline but that goes both ways because you can also be accused of being too passive or unemotional.
"Your supporters want to see you share the elation of goals and moments in the games so it's a difficult judgment call.
"I'm not as calm as many people imagine on the sidelines. Have I rolled around with other managers in the dugout? It has happened, yes. Plenty of times."
Calderwood was honoured by the SPL sponsors for leading Hibs to four wins in a row in February, a run that was extended to five at the start of this month with victory at Hamilton.
A month ago Hibs were being tipped for relegation and now, with the club sitting in ninth place in the SPL, their more optimistic fans are targeting a top-six spot.
Calderwood added: "As manager it's vital to lead and I was sure we would come out of our difficult position because my eye has always been a good judge of a player and a team and that led me to remain positive.
"My certainty about turning things around never waned. I was always hopeful but you still have to produce on the park.
"Is it nice to pick up an award such as Manager of the Month? Yes and no.
"There are aspects of it that are rewarding but I don't think they're going to close Princes Street and put me on top of a bus for it.
"However, we've had a good run and look as if we can create goals. We have also scored from set-plays which was an important factor last month.
"We've looked dangerous from the basics and everything around that has slightly improved as well including our general open play.

Dashing Bob S
04-03-2011, 02:09 PM

I think that is his view. He is, after all, a Yam.

Phil D. Rolls
04-03-2011, 02:37 PM
There was an old guy on the box last night who said this would never have happened in the days of Simon and Stein. True, but old working class men didn't walk around with Tammies with "Titleist" written on them, or shell pants and baseball caps.

Those that yearn for the old days never seem to include themselves in the things that have changed,

Jones28
04-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Saw the headline and bowffed all over the computer...how can anyone say the Old Firm game the other night is good for football? :taxi

johnrebus
04-03-2011, 04:31 PM
I actually have some (grudging) respect for Jim Jefferies :duck: but I think he's lost the plot here, unless it's all tongue in cheek, in which case, when it comes to the potential violence OF games can cause, it's not very funny.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/39Passion39-good-for-Scots-game.6728246.jp

Am delighted to say I have never had anything but contempt for the the Fat Yam jakey.

His slaverings yesterday have convinced me that he is rapidly turning into that other auld fool, George Foulkes.

:jamboclow