PDA

View Full Version : calderwood

Allant1981
26-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Well done in turning it around, hopefully can keep it up, are all those on here who were calling for him to go still wanting that?

PeeJay
26-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Well done in turning it around, hopefully can keep it up, are all those on here who were calling for him to go still wanting that?

No - his record at the time was deserving of the criticism though, but it's all right now!:greengrin

Walter
26-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Surely Manager Of The Month

--------
26-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Let's hope not - when our guys get MotM we usually end up losing the next three games....

I vote for Lennon. Or Smith. Or Jumbo.

CallumLaidlaw
26-02-2011, 05:24 PM
No - his record at the time was deservinig of the criticism though, but it's all right now!:greengrin

No it wasn't. He took over Hughes team, which was an absolute shambles, and really should not have been judged until he brought in his own players. From the 1st of feb it was CC's head on the block, and we've won 4 in 4

IWasThere2016
26-02-2011, 05:28 PM
No it wasn't. He took over Hughes team, which was an absolute shambles, and really should not have been judged until he brought in his own players. From the 1st of feb it was CC's head on the block, and we've won 4 in 4

Yup - judging the man before the window was folly.

He inherited an absolute mess - even more apparent now just how much a mess too - fae Havering Hughes :agree:

MON THE CC! :thumbsup:

steakbake
26-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Loved the way he came on to the pitch at FT to applaud the supporters.

McD
26-02-2011, 05:34 PM

He inherited an absolute mess - even more apparent now just how much a mess too - fae Havering Hughes :agree:

Has there been any more pish slavered by Hughes on telly/radio in the last few weeks?

Couldn't get away from him in January, re-writing history and commenting all over the place in negative ways about Hibs and Calderwood.

Seems to be strangely silent now that we're on a wee run, and the signings (and Booth) Calderwood has made have made a big difference.

SkintHibby
26-02-2011, 05:37 PM
The people on here wanting rid of Calderwood (and you know who you are) a few weeks ago after his short time in charge should be ashamed of themselves.

Some of the nonsense on here was incredible. Wanting rid of him even before he had a chance to operate in the transfer window!:confused:

I'm not saying he'll be the new messiah but there's something about Calderwood that tells me he knows what he doing.:agree:

--------
26-02-2011, 05:40 PM

:agree:

In Turnbull's day, or Alex Miller's, a manager arrived at a club and immediately broght in two or three of his own players. Miller came to us when we were in real danger of going down brought in Bell, McIntyre and Mitchell right away, and IIRC Goram and Orr soon after, and turned us round very quickly.

CC had to work with the squad he inherited, and some of those guys really didn't care about Hibs at all. Half-a-dozen new players, others gone and not apparently to be missed, and now some of the guys who looked terrible are beginning to find a bit of form again.

Right now (17.40 on Saturday evening) I have to say I am not entirely dissatisfied with my football team. :aok:

Greentinted
26-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Having been critical of the way things were going up until (and just after) the opening of the window, I am more than happy to admit my disaffection was a bit premature and congratulate all involved in the (so-far mini) upturn in fortunes. It augers well and perhaps we may well indeed have unearthed a wee gem In Colin.

:flag:

Dashing Bob S
26-02-2011, 06:01 PM
The people on here wanting rid of Calderwood (and you know who you are) a few weeks ago after his short time in charge should be ashamed of themselves.

Some of the nonsense on here was incredible. Wanting rid of him even before he had a chance to operate in the transfer window!:confused:

I'm not saying he'll be the new messiah but there's something about Calderwood that tells me he knows what he doing.:agree:

I questioned Calderwood and I've no regrets at doing so. Obviously I'm delighted he's turned it around, but it's a results-based game, and apart from a slight lift at the start and the Ibrox freak, there was no improvement as one would normally expect.

Now I can see that Calderwood sensed he, like Hughes before him, was going to get little back from this group of players. The point us, with our record, we were on a relegation roll, and I questioned whether we had the luxury of time to allow him a window. Now I'm glad that we did.

The real hero of the piece to me is Petrie, who kept his nerve and faith in his man under tough circumstances. CC also behaved with class and dignity and strength under fire, displaying confidence-building qualities.

Phase two for him will be adding skill, flair and delivering the kind of football we want to see. That'll take longer, but he's shown by his class under fire this time around that he has earned the right to our patience.

But certainly not ashamed of holding the view I did - we all want the best for the club and will see things differently. I called it wrong on this one, which I'm pretty much delighted about.

hibiedude
26-02-2011, 06:09 PM

His record at the time was poor and 2 points of looking at relagation was a serious concern but since he's brought in his own players in January things have greatly improved.

So to answer your question I think Calderwood has shown he does have the ability to move the club forward.

That must be the reason I have been to the last 4 games because the effort on the pitch is now worth watching.

steakbake
26-02-2011, 06:16 PM
His record at the time was poor and 2 points of looking at relagation was a serious concern but since he's brought in his own players in January things have greatly improved.

So to answer your question I think Calderwood has shown he does have the ability to move the club forward.

That must be the reason I have been to the last 4 games because the effort on the pitch is now worth watching.

I think this is key to the turnaround on and off the park: effort.

Watching the team, you can see a bit more determination, team spirit and dig about them. When we score, they all celebrate. At the Killie game, the whole bench were on their feet for the last 5 minutes, waiting for the final whistle.

From goalie to striker, I don't think there has been anyone over the last few weeks who has looked disinterested or uninspired to put in a shift. I think CC's signings have done that.

As for the fans, I think that merely seeing that the guys are trying to put in a shift changes the attitude immediately. People get dissatisfied watching players who clearly couldn't care less that they're doing badly. I reckon that if we lost a game playing the way we have over the past few weeks, the fans would be upset but perhaps not at the players in the same way.

It's still a bit too early to say that the good times are back at ER - still a long way to go. However, when I was taking a Lilian Gish at half time, I saw the advert for season tickets by instalments and actually thought I might go for it. Next season might be where we see CC's work paying off and I'd love to be there to see it.

IWasThere2016
26-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Has there been any more pish slavered by Hughes on telly/radio in the last few weeks?

Couldn't get away from him in January, re-writing history and commenting all over the place in negative ways about Hibs and Calderwood.

Seems to be strangely silent now that we're on a wee run, and the signings (and Booth) Calderwood has made have made a big difference.

Have avoided listening tae the chooob for months but we should enjoy the silence :greengrin

hfc rd
26-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Totally deserves the credit. And here's why:-

He has managed to get the best out of Stack who was once again immense in goals today and you feel confident with him in between the sticks as he is a very good goalkeeper and one of the best we have had for a long time. Stack was a very nervous goalkeeper during the Yogi era as he never came off his line and was very hesitant in his decision making but he seems to be a totally different keeper now who is playing with a lot of confidence in his own ability.

We seem to have two very good young full backs who have cemented their place in the 1st team. I would love to see us sign Towell up on a permanent deal. A very good RB who has a bit of a Rory Delap style throw which is very dangerous to opposing teams. Booth has the makings of a David Murphy in him and I won't be suprised if a few clubs come knocking on the door for him as he has been sensational. What a goal. One of the best I have seen this season. These guys are still very young and are only going to get better and better. Look at our first choice full backs at the start of the season - Hart & Grounds. A no contest their as everyone knows which set of full backs you would rather have in your team.

Yes we might need another CB but you can't take nothing away from an improving Francis Dickoh and a young natural leader in Paul Hanlon. Yes at times the both of them were sloppy but they made up for it and were absolutely excellent. The pair of them have a great understanding of each other and that has been very rare as we were conceeding goals left, right and centre prior to this month and know we have recorded 3 clean sheets out of four against teams we have struggled against in the past. If we do sign a CB then I hope CC tells him to wait and earn his place in the team when the time is right as it will be very unfair to drop these two as they seem to have formed a very good confident partnership at the back. Also they kept a certain Mr Adam Rooney very quiet and to tell you the truth, I won't be too dissapointed if we miss out on him as I am sure their are bound to be a few good gems down south as Rooney was nothing special today.

Into the midfield area now and as you may know most of CC transfers were midfielders and to tell you the truth, we finally have a midfield that is willing to get stuck in and fight till the death. At the beggining of our past poor run this season, the amount of times our midfield was carved open was just ridiculous. It was very fragile with no grit and determination. But since the likes of Palsson and Scott arrived we finally have a midfield that is willing to not give up and make it hard for opposing midfielders. We don't give opposition midfielders much time on the ball as we get right in their faces and cover every blade of grass as opposed to the beggining of this season. We were showing the oppostition too much respect and letting them take their time and take the game to us. Also Wotherspoon just needs a bit of confidence in himself and he will eventually get back to that player that was so exciting to watch last season and let's not forget Danny Galbraith. When he returns from his knock he is just going to be on a major high. He has signed a new deal and will be working his absolute hardest in making sure that he is the first choice left winger at Hibs and continue to impress Billy Stark to keep him in the U21 Scotland squad.

Up front and finally we have a proper target man in Akpo Sodje. Yes at times his shooting is laughable but at least he works his socks off and is always giving opposition defenders a right hard time. Can you say that about Nish and Trakys? I don't think so. And also when a certain Mr Riordan is on form? We all know where that ball is going to end up in whe he takes a shot. The oppositions goal. Yes his workrate can be lacking at times but the one thing we love him for is you know what? The goals. He is a goalscorer who certainly knows where the target is and almost scored a beauty today in the 1st half at the near post if it wasn't for Ryan Esson's save. Contract extension please as Deeks has stated that he is willing to play for the club he loves and supports and also gave him the chance to make it as a proffesional footballer. We need to do this ASAP. Also will be very interesting to see what type of role Ricardo Vaz Te is given and where he will fit into this current setup. Also a certain Mr Kurtis Byrne is still waiting for a proper chance and I am sure that near the end of the season and a few appearances next season we will be able to judge him properly.

All in all a massive congratualtions for a magnificent month to CC and his coaching staff. Here's hoping this run continues.

:cgwa

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-02-2011, 10:59 PM
If he can get us to the top six or at least nearies, that should be enough to see decent season ticket sales for next year. I can't wait to see what CC can do with a pool of players that he has selected. Despite the radio slaverings when pundits stumble from one cliche to another, we were much better today than just hard to beat. Much, much better.

IWasThere2016
26-02-2011, 11:26 PM

He has managed to get the best out of Stack who was once again immense in goals today and you feel confident with him in between the sticks as he is a very good goalkeeper and one of the best we have had for a long time. Stack was a very nervous goalkeeper during the Yogi era as he never came off his line and was very hesitant in his decision making but he seems to be a totally different keeper now who is playing with a lot of confidence in his own ability.

We seem to have two very good young full backs who have cemented their place in the 1st team. I would love to see us sign Towell up on a permanent deal. A very good RB who has a bit of a Rory Delap style throw which is very dangerous to opposing teams. Booth has the makings of a David Murphy in him and I won't be suprised if a few clubs come knocking on the door for him as he has been sensational. What a goal. One of the best I have seen this season. These guys are still very young and are only going to get better and better. Look at our first choice full backs at the start of the season - Hart & Grounds. A no contest their as everyone knows which set of full backs you would rather have in your team.

Yes we might need another CB but you can't take nothing away from an improving Francis Dickoh and a young natural leader in Paul Hanlon. Yes at times the both of them were sloppy but they made up for it and were absolutely excellent. The pair of them have a great understanding of each other and that has been very rare as we were conceeding goals left, right and centre prior to this month and know we have recorded 3 clean sheets out of four against teams we have struggled against in the past. If we do sign a CB then I hope CC tells him to wait and earn his place in the team when the time is right as it will be very unfair to drop these two as they seem to have formed a very good confident partnership at the back. Also they kept a certain Mr Adam Rooney very quiet and to tell you the truth, I won't be too dissapointed if we miss out on him as I am sure their are bound to be a few good gems down south as Rooney was nothing special today.

Into the midfield area now and as you may know most of CC transfers were midfielders and to tell you the truth, we finally have a midfield that is willing to get stuck in and fight till the death. At the beggining of our past poor run this season, the amount of times our midfield was carved open was just ridiculous. It was very fragile with no grit and determination. But since the likes of Palsson and Scott arrived we finally have a midfield that is willing to not give up and make it hard for opposing midfielders. We don't give opposition midfielders much time on the ball as we get right in their faces and cover every blade of grass as opposed to the beggining of this season. We were showing the oppostition too much respect and letting them take their time and take the game to us. Also Wotherspoon just needs a bit of confidence in himself and he will eventually get back to that player that was so exciting to watch last season and let's not forget Danny Galbraith. When he returns from his knock he is just going to be on a major high. He has signed a new deal and will be working his absolute hardest in making sure that he is the first choice left winger at Hibs and continue to impress Bill Stark to keep him in the U21 Scotland squad.

Up front and finally we have a proper target man in Akpo Sodje. Yes at times his shooting is laughable but at least he works his socks off and is always giving opposition defenders a right hard time. Can you say that about Nish and Trakys? I don't think so. And also when a certain Mr Riordan is on form? We all know where that ball is going to end up in whe he takes a shot. The oppositions goal. Yes his workrate can be lacking at times but the one thing we love him for is you know what? The goals. He is a goalscorer who certainly knows where the target is and almost scored a beauty today in the 1st half at the near post if it wasn't for Ryan Esson's save. Contract extension please as Deeks has stated that he is willing to play for the club he loves and supports and also gave him the chance to make it as a proffesional footballer. We need to do this ASAP. Also will be very interesting to see what type of role Ricardo Vaz Te is given and where he will fit into this current setup. Also a certain Mr Kurtis Byrne is still waiting for a proper chance and I am sure that near the end of the season and a few appearances next season we will be able to judge him properly.

All in all a massive congratualtions for a magnificent month to CC and his coaching staff. Here's hoping this run continues.

Top post :agree:

hibbie02
26-02-2011, 11:31 PM
I questioned Calderwood and I've no regrets at doing so. Obviously I'm delighted he's turned it around, but it's a results-based game, and apart from a slight lift at the start and the Ibrox freak, there was no improvement as one would normally expect.

Now I can see that Calderwood sensed he, like Hughes before him, was going to get little back from this group of players. The point us, with our record, we were on a relegation roll, and I questioned whether we had the luxury of time to allow him a window. Now I'm glad that we did.

The real hero of the piece to me is Petrie, who kept his nerve and faith in his man under tough circumstances. CC also behaved with class and dignity and strength under fire, displaying confidence-building qualities.

Phase two for him will be adding skill, flair and delivering the kind of football we want to see. That'll take longer, but he's shown by his class under fire this time around that he has earned the right to our patience.

But certainly not ashamed of holding the view I did - we all want the best for the club and will see things differently. I called it wrong on this one, which I'm pretty much delighted about.

Robert have you a tache and have you turned the 3rd letter of you name around? :greengrin

Sir David Gray
26-02-2011, 11:33 PM
I was someone who was calling for him to consider his position as manager about five or six weeks ago and I think it was justified at the time.

I still believe that, although the players we had were not very good, he should have been capable of getting better results than he managed to get in his first three months in charge and failing to score against Ayr Utd over two games was just unacceptable.

We have had an excellent change in fortunes in February and the new players (along with the inclusion of Booth) seem to have added something different to the team.

Calderwood has a major rebuilding job on his hands in the summer and he really needs to be judged over the course of a full season.

If this current run is a sign of things to come, I won't have any problems in admitting I was wrong to dismiss him as a failure so early into his tenure.

Baader
27-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Good to see him turning it around. No coincidence it has happened after he has been able to bring new blood in.

Shows just how desperate we were and how poor a midfield we had.

I think Calderwood identified our weakness spot on - full backs and too lightweight in the middle. Still a work in progress and a lot of work needed ahead of next season but well done!

sunshine1875
27-02-2011, 08:50 AM
:agree: I have stated a few times on this forum that, whilst I know SFA about how to manage a football team, our team's problems have been a weak midfield (ever since Brown/Thomson departed) along with a lack of pace/skill down the wings (ever since Murphy/Whittaker departed).

Mixu and Yogi did not resolve this problem and in fact compounded it by bringing in players that were worse than before. Calderwood has taken the hits for his first couple of months in charge trying his best to make the best out of a bad lot, only to resolve much of the problems during the January transfer window. What areas has he tackled - the midfield and the full backs.

Yes we had other problem areas, but midfield and the full backs were the key areas for me and he seems to have resolved it. I wonder why Yogi in particular could not see what was plainly obvious to us non-football experts.:hmmm:

Furthermore, my expectations for this season were not great. I wanted to exit this season still in the SPL, with a manager who knows what he is doing (not Yogi) and with some good young players emerging (Booth, Palsson etc) that will give me confidence that we can have a better 2011/12 season. Nothing else, as believed that we were going nowhere with Yogi (all based on our end of 2009/10 season form). I am more confident for the future. Thanks CC.

Into the midfield area now and as you may know most of CC transfers were midfielders and to tell you the truth, we finally have a midfield that is willing to get stuck in and fight till the death. At the beggining of our past poor run this season, the amount of times our midfield was carved open was just ridiculous. It was very fragile with no grit and determination. But since the likes of Palsson and Scott arrived we finally have a midfield that is willing to not give up and make it hard for opposing midfielders. We don't give opposition midfielders much time on the ball as we get right in their faces and cover every blade of grass as opposed to the beggining of this season. We were showing the oppostition too much respect and letting them take their time and take the game to us. Also Wotherspoon just needs a bit of confidence in himself and he will eventually get back to that player that was so exciting to watch last season and let's not forget Danny Galbraith. When he returns from his knock he is just going to be on a major high. He has signed a new deal and will be working his absolute hardest in making sure that he is the first choice left winger at Hibs and continue to impress Billy Stark to keep him in the U21 Scotland squad.

Beefster
27-02-2011, 09:08 AM
The best thing about this wee run is that we've not had anyone suggesting that Calderwood hasn't got a clue as a manager for a while and that we should have appointed Jimmy Calderwood instead.

Hibee Daz
27-02-2011, 09:11 AM
No - his record at the time was deservinig of the criticism though, but it's all right now!:greengrin

There's nothing like being patient and giving the new guy a chance, the doubters should have realised that he needed too get his own men in to help fix the mess we where in!
CC has turned us from a bunch of snivelling bottle merchants into a team prepared to work hard and fight for each other, in the space of roughly a month if you consider when the signings arrived!

His doubters where wrong end off.:na na:

davcar
27-02-2011, 09:13 AM
We are all so guilty it seems to jump in and go overboard,

1st with CC not turning the team around before getting a window.
2nd now after 1 decent set of results in 1 month.

I don't want to be a profit of doom, but the flair we crave may take longer than we hope if the SPL reconstruction takes place. 10 team top flight will have us fighting games like this i fear for the next season, but hopefully Calderwood already has a plan of attack for the summer window, and make sure the fight is at the right end of the table.
:flag::hibees:flag:

Hibbyradge
27-02-2011, 09:14 AM

Calderwood must be in with a shout, but if Celtic win today, Lennon will have won 4 out of 4 too, including the 3-0 humiliation of Rangers, so I imagine he'll get it.

Hibbyradge
27-02-2011, 09:16 AM
We are all so guilty it seems to jump in and go overboard,

Er, not all of us. :wink: :flag:

The Falcon
27-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Er, not all of us. :wink: :flag:
Nope. Certainly not. :agree:

Golden Bear
27-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Another wise man here. :wink:

The players CC inherited behaved and played like amateurs. Thankfully these dismal days seem behind us for the moment.

Kaiser1962
27-02-2011, 10:10 AM
I should also say the "infraction" against my name was garnered in defence of CC when another member wanted him sacked and I pointed out that perhaps CC should be given some time. The poor wee lamb took offence and reported me to the teacher.

I see it now as a badge of honour. :greengrin

HNA12
27-02-2011, 10:21 AM
I should also say the "infraction" against my name was garnered in defence of CC when another member wanted him sacked and I pointed out that perhaps CC should be given some time. The poor wee lamb took offence and reported me to the teacher.

I see it now as a badge of honour. :greengrin

Pity nobody can see it except you and the Admin team then.:greengrin

The Falcon
27-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Pity nobody can see it except you and the Admin team then:greengrin.

:grr:

We should all be able to see it :greengrin

PeeJay
27-02-2011, 11:00 AM

The criticism was absolutely justified at the time - but that was then and this is now!:greengrin He's now fully deserving of the praise for what he and the team are currently achieving.

Wotherspiniesta
27-02-2011, 11:55 AM

Calderwood must stay!

lucky
27-02-2011, 12:09 PM
I have not been his biggest fan. But I did like the fact he came onto the pitch at the end of the game and showed some emotion. Hopefully he has turned it around and things are going improve big time next season.

BEEJ
27-02-2011, 12:24 PM
CC has always praised the role of the Hibs supporters in the teams affairs - even during that recent awful run of results when he gave us credit for sticking with it.

He has never failed to recognise and acknowledge the significant part we play in the club's fortunes. He has mentioned us in most post-match interviews - even when some of us were beginning to express our doubts that he was the man for the job.

For that too he deserves much credit.

basehibby
27-02-2011, 12:34 PM

While I never called for Calderwood's departure I was highly critical of him and RP in the wake of Zemama's departure and questioned whether he knew what he was doing.

4 wins down the line it's patently clear that CC knows EXACTLY what he's doing and I am delighted,

:top marks :cgwa

Allant1981
27-02-2011, 03:33 PM
I was someone who was calling for him to consider his position as manager about five or six weeks ago and I think it was justified at the time.

I still believe that, although the players we had were not very good, he should have been capable of getting better results than he managed to get in his first three months in charge and failing to score against Ayr Utd over two games was just unacceptable.

We have had an excellent change in fortunes in February and the new players (along with the inclusion of Booth) seem to have added something different to the team.

Calderwood has a major rebuilding job on his hands in the summer and he really needs to be judged over the course of a full season.

If this current run is a sign of things to come, I won't have any problems in admitting I was wrong to dismiss him as a failure so early into his tenure.

So u were calling for his head but think he should be judged over a season, had he been in the job a season when u were calling for his head?

Dashing Bob S
27-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Robert have you a tache and have you turned the 3rd letter of you name around? :greengrin

That does it- I'm off for a shave.

silverhibee
27-02-2011, 03:45 PM

Yep, not been on BBC Scotland last couple of weeks, i did wonder if someone may have had a word with him about his negative comments about Hibs while he was doing his stint on the radio.

Colin Calderwood. Top Manager.. :cgwa

Sir David Gray
27-02-2011, 03:47 PM
So u were calling for his head but think he should be judged over a season, had he been in the job a season when u were calling for his head?

His record from October-January was so bad that I think it was understandable that people were calling for him to consider his position.

However, he seems to have done well in the January window with the players he brought in and with four wins in a row in February, he has certainly bought himself some time in my eyes to see what he can do next season.

Despite our recent good run, we still sit 10th in the league and that is an unacceptable position for Hibs to be in the SPL. Having been in charge now for over four months, I can't honestly say that his time in charge has been a roaring success but there is enough progress there that gives me hope for next season with Calderwood in charge.

Dashing Bob S
27-02-2011, 04:08 PM
His record from October-January was so bad that I think it was understandable that people were calling for him to consider his position.

However, he seems to have done well in the January window with the players he brought in and with four wins in a row in February, he has certainly bought himself some time in my eyes to see what he can do next season.

Despite our recent good run, we still sit 10th in the league and that is an unacceptable position for Hibs to be in the SPL. Having been in charge now for over four months, I can't honestly say that his time in charge has been a roaring success but there is enough progress there that gives me hope for next season
with Calderwood in charge.

That's a bit more like it in terms of balance and perspective.

I'm impressed that way he's getting rid off the dead wood, slowly and surely but without histrionics or acrimony. I'm also take by the way he's distinguishing between players who can, and crucially want to, perform for Hibs and those who either can't or can't be bothered.

If he adds more quality in the close season then we'll be top 4 material again.

But St Mirren, Killie and ICT ain't world beaters so I'm not going to get too excited yet. Well, I am, but that's just the way I am rather than anything C C's doing.