PDA

View Full Version : The sheet of paper

Ferryhibby
22-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Am i the only one that this annoys, but a serious upturn in the amount of coaches standing on the sideline telling the subs exactly what they should be doing and wher to run by way of a sheet of A4 paper. Surely if theyre professional footballers earning thousands a week they would know what to do by now, is this taught to the coaches when they get their 'badges'. I even heard the presenter on five live the other week having a go at Arsene Wenger for not doing it before Arshavin came on!

bingo70
22-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Am i the only one that this annoys, but a serious upturn in the amount of coaches standing on the sideline telling the subs exactly what they should be doing and wher to run by way of a sheet of A4 paper. Surely if theyre professional footballers earning thousands a week they would know what to do by now, is this taught to the coaches when they get their 'badges'. I even heard the presenter on five live the other week having a go at Arsene Wenger for not doing it before Arshavin came on!

Aye, i agree, wouldn't say it annoys me but i do find it a bit strange that it's needed, i'd have thought the players should know what the managers talking about without a diagram! Can't remember who it was, but think it was either mclaren or sven got absolutely slated by the media for doing it but now everyones at it.

On a sidenote, something that really irritates me is the electronic board they hold up for subs, what was wrong with the old style black writing on a white board :confused:

Monktonhall 7
22-02-2011, 09:41 AM
One of my mates is a Liverpool ST, and was telling me about the differences between Benitez, Hodgson & Dalglish. Benitez & Hodgson spent 5 mins with the subs and the diagrams telling the sub what to do, Dalglish tells them to get on the park and just play football! :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Must be cos teams normally look good on paper!

iwasthere1972
22-02-2011, 09:54 AM

My personal favourite is 53 seconds into video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wder-AFaLK0

Golden Bear
22-02-2011, 10:07 AM
I'd imagine there could be language communication problems as there are so many different nationalities involved in the game.

It's bad enough watching Eastenders these days, sometimes I think there should be sub titles on the screen.

:wink:

sam armstrong
22-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Think you will find it is mainly set plays they are showing. A lot of tight games are won or lost on set plays so very important.

DC_Hibs
22-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Think you will find it is mainly set plays they are showing. A lot of tight games are won or lost on set plays so very important.

Think you are right and as Arshavin probably marks a post at corners he won't need too many diagrams explaining where he should be standing!

He could still be trusted to take care of Big Nishy should he move on to the EPL this summer.

FFS - why is Nish being brought into this.

HibeeB
22-02-2011, 10:18 AM

Just finished reading Eddie Turnbull's book and he says the same thing.

Eddie used to sit in the stand during games and phone down to make substitutions. He reckoned that if a player didn't know what to do on the park when he came out of the tunnel he shouldn't have been there and the manager hadn't done his job.

Ferryhibby
22-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Too true could imagine eddies talk to the sub being 'get on the *** park and do what ye get *** paid for'

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2011, 11:41 AM

I think there have always been coaches telling players what to do from the sidelines. Individual players sometimes have to concentrate on their own job and may not see the pattern of play in the same way that someone standing on the sidelines can.

I suppose the sheets of A4 paper came into play when it became obvious that those using them were gaining an advantage over those who weren't. That said, I heard a story about Jock Stein, sitting in the stand watching prospective opponents.

All he did was trace the direction the ball was going for every move they made. By doing that he was able to see in advance where the key areas in his forthcoming game would be.

lapsedhibee
22-02-2011, 11:47 AM
All he did was trace the direction the ball was going for every move they made.

Fing sheets of A4 tracing paper now! :panic:

HibbyRod
22-02-2011, 12:05 PM

It really does my napper in!!!:grr: :greengrin

It's the time it takes to seemingly get the message across that irritates.

I've seen our manager/coach, etc., take up to nearly 5 minutes (it seems) whereas the opposing manager has called up a sub, and got them onto the park within what seems about a quarter of the time.

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2011, 12:06 PM
It really does my napper in!!!:grr: :greengrin

It's the time it takes to seemingly get the message across that irritates.

I've seen our manager/coach, etc., take up to nearly 5 minutes (it seems) whereas the opposing manager has called up a sub, and got them onto the park within what seems about a quarter of the time.

Yeah, and Hibs' results have been shocking lately. :greengrin

NGP
22-02-2011, 12:11 PM
McLeish uses a wee notebook at Brum (can't remeber if he did the same with us), MOTD cameras zoomed in on a page and it just said SHOOT, underlined a few a times! Tactical brilliance!

HibbyRod
22-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Yeah, and Hibs' results have been shocking lately. :greengrin

Ah, that was the reason for the improved results..........taking extra care in passing on the instructions to the subbies! :aok:

Fair do's if so - I'll be more patient from now on. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Ah, that was the reason for the improved results..........taking extra care in passing on the instructions to the subbies! :aok:

It's not rocket science. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
22-02-2011, 12:30 PM

Can't take that long to write

"Dinnae fall over"

on a piece of paper.

Peevemor
22-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Is it maybe something to do with the manager not wanting the opposing players to see his gests (ie pointing to different areas of the pitch) if changing the shape of the team? :dunno:

Jim44
22-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Personally I think it's an attempt to intelectualise and theorise in a game which is more to do with flair, intuition and creativity. In other words, the Hibs way. Well maybe I've not got that quite right. :greengrin:

steakbake
22-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I think what we're seeing here is paper and pen envy. What the fans want, nay need, is a wee pad of paper and we can throw our instructions to the players. Several thousand armchair managers clearly know more than one.

TRC
22-02-2011, 04:36 PM
With our guys just thought it was a map to george street for the new guys:confused:

lapsedhibee
22-02-2011, 04:39 PM
What the fans want, nay need, is a wee pad of paper and we can throw our instructions to the players.

:agree: Instead of being met with a hail of abuse when Nishy or Rankiny come on as subs and make some tiny error, they could be met with a hail of paper aeroplanes inscribed "GTF Nishy" "GTF Rankiny" etc.

greenlex
22-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Deary me we must have won a few games.:greengrin You cant beat a good moan about coaches/managers using the written word or diagrams to get tactics over.

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Deary me we must have won a few games.:greengrin You cant beat a good moan about coaches/managers using the written word or diagrams to get tactics over.

Does it not sum up our penny pinching ways. If Petrie had any thought at all for football, Calderwood would surely have an iPad?

Mon Dieu4
22-02-2011, 08:01 PM

When I saw Calderwood bent over with a pen and paper talking to Nish on Sunday, my first thought was it was Nish saying "Right boss, thats a deep fried pizza supper, large Donner with everything, glass bottle of Irn Bru and dont forget my 20 Regal King size":agree:

Scottiedog007
22-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Having been involved in football coaching for a few years you will find that what cc is doing is explaining the set plays for attacking and defending and what the subs role will be in these as opposed to the player he is replacing on the park and its also used to change formations for him to then explain to the other players on the park

iwasthere1972
22-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Does it not sum up our penny pinching ways. If Petrie had any thought at all for football, Calderwood would surely have an iPad?

Maybe go the whole hog and also give him a crutch and a parrot.

Shiver me timbers.

:taxi

lapsedhibee
22-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Maybe go the whole hog and also give him a crutch and a parrot.

Shiver me timbers.

:greengrin

Speedy
22-02-2011, 11:11 PM
McLeish uses a wee notebook at Brum (can't remeber if he did the same with us), MOTD cameras zoomed in on a page and it just said SHOOT, underlined a few a times! Tactical brilliance!

Aye, close!

See post #5 :greengrin

Jones28
22-02-2011, 11:30 PM
To get annoyed about something like that is a bit extreme naw?

thats modern football for you