PDA

View Full Version : Points and or Performance.

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Tin Helmut on just a bit of banter and debate. Dont take it too seriously.

CC says the right things but the "quality of our play is very poor"

DONT GET ME WRONG this year is ONLY about avoiding relgation, 3 Points is Everything. If we could win EVERY week and play poorly I would take it, however lets face facts no time soon are Hibs going to win the league.

So for me supporting Hibs is all about good cup runs, finishing top 3 or 4 and watching good young entertaing players coming through.

I hope next season CC can follow up what he says he wants, if we were to continue playing the current style I can't see me going every week.

Players like Sodje should be here to get us out off this mess supposedly "better" players got us in to. Again I have no complaints with Sodje he has done very well but longterm he is not the answer, the other new signings have youth on their side and can still improve Sodje wont.

Next Year I hope CC can get the very difficult balance right of playing decent football and getting results. It is the only way attendance will improve.

Looking for an entertaining win against ICT but Hibs and BIG crowds normally means disappointment.

No doubt lots will slate me after this post on the back of 3 wins as I say dont take it too seriously I am just looking forward and hoping for better performance LONGTERM.

Hibby Kay-Yay
21-02-2011, 03:55 PM
For what it's worth, this year is all about survival so it's points for me.

Although the calibre of players like Palsson, Thornhill etc make me think that next year we will see a completely different style than this season. I expect a fairly young squad with a spattering of experience thrown in. A bit like the Mowbray team which will have a good mix of flair with grit and guts in places that we have so desperately needed it.

Onwards and upwards

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Hibby Kay-Yay

Yeah onwards and upwards, but have to disagree a bit, Mowbrays team was all about youngsters very talented youngsters, we are a million miles away from that.

The new midfield has added steel and we are no longer a soft touch which is good but we have NO flair in our current sqaud. Thornhill has been average at best (very early days) Palsson has looked great but yesterday was no better tha okay again he is Very young and looks a Fantastic prospect.

Galbraith's final ball is not good enouh and I dont think he will be a longterm 1st team player.

Deek as much as I love him it does look like his BEST days (which were FANTASTIC) are behind him.

Leaving us with no one player you would pay to watch, no one who can get you out of your seat like Zemmama, Ivan, Scott Brown, or 3 or 4 others from Mowbrys team.

We are crying out for a Zemmama to play with Scott, Palsson and Thornhill.

weecounty hibby
21-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Having watched Hibs teams that played great football but ultimately fell at the last hurdle more often than not I'd take points any time in the league. Look at the grunts, who could honestly say that you wouldn't want to be in their position right now. Football not great but only two points off second spot!
Give me six 1-0 victories in a row in the SC anytime. Better than winning in style up to the final and then getting beat. Seen it all too many times in the past.

SouthMoroccoStu
21-02-2011, 04:16 PM
I think it really shows what a poor league the SPL actually is.

We have been, let’s face it, terrible this season. 3 managers (Collins, Mixu and Yogi) worth of miss-buying, combined with the selling of young talent, has left us with a very poor standard team.

A competent manager has come in and instantly seen where we need to strengthen and improve. Again, something the previous 3 failed to do. Calderwood brought in exactly what we needed and (shock horror) we started winning. After 3 wins in a row, we are only 9 points off 5th place! Imagine if we had had this current management team and squad at the start of the season?!

Allowing Calderwood to clear out the rest of the rubbish and buy in the summer window and we will be challenging for Europe.

Very green tinted glasses but that how I see it.

:cgwa

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Having watched Hibs teams that played great football but ultimately fell at the last hurdle more often than not I'd take points any time in the league. Look at the grunts, who could honestly say that you wouldn't want to be in their position right now. Football not great but only two points off second spot!
Give me six 1-0 victories in a row in the SC anytime. Better than winning in style up to the final and then getting beat. Seen it all too many times in the past.

Yeah if we could win EVERY week I would take that too but we are not going to win every week. I think you are being a wee bit unfair on Hearts with Skacel, Tempelton, Driver and Suso they have plenty talent in the right area's.

The Falcon
21-02-2011, 04:35 PM
I have no idea whether your happy or dissapointed that we've won three games, I really dont.

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I have no idea whether your happy or dissapointed that we've won three games, I really dont.

VERY VERY HAPPY :greengrin does that help?

Would I be happy watching what we saw yesterday NEXT season then the answer is NO.

Jack
21-02-2011, 04:38 PM

I think it really shows what a poor league the SPL actually is.

We have been, let’s face it, terrible this season. 3 managers (Collins, Mixu and Yogi) worth of miss-buying, combined with the selling of young talent, has left us with a very poor standard team.

A competent manager has come in and instantly seen where we need to strengthen and improve. Again, something the previous 3 failed to do. Calderwood brought in exactly what we needed and (shock horror) we started winning. After 3 wins in a row, we are only 9 points off 5th place! Imagine if we had had this current management team and squad at the start of the season?!

Allowing Calderwood to clear out the rest of the rubbish and buy in the summer window and we will be challenging for Europe.

Very green tinted glasses but that how I see it.

:cgwa

Got to agree with that. Playing ugly, and boy are the jambos ugly :agree: , and getting good points from games will get bums on seats more than pretty football and getting beat too often.

With the big turnover of playing staff at the end of the season we’ll see a very different Hibees. I’d like to think it will be a hardened version of what we supposedly like to see.

The Falcon
21-02-2011, 04:41 PM
VERY VERY HAPPY :greengrin does that help?

Would I be happy watching what we saw yesterday NEXT season then the answer is NO.

But you were compaining bitterly when we werent winning and now you are complaining when we are? :dunno:

If your not happy watching Hibs win then dont.

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 04:45 PM
But you were compaining bitterly when we werent winning and now you are complaining when we are? :dunno:

If your not happy watching Hibs win then dont.

SORRY !!!
Who complained we are winning ?

I think you should read again. I also said this season was about winning and ONLY winning.

Golden Bear
21-02-2011, 04:46 PM
It's all about securing our place in the SPL for next season so I'll definitely accept ugly but winning football for the present.

Roll on the big summer clean out, an influx of new players, and hopefully next season will see a winning team that's capable of playing with a bit of arrogance and panache.

GreenCastle
21-02-2011, 04:48 PM
SORRY !!!

I think you should read again. I also said this season was about winning and ONLY winning.

Surely every season is about winning and only winning ?

If we played hoofball and won the Scottish Cup I would be happy :confused:

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 04:48 PM
It's all about securing our place in the SPL for next season so I'll definitely accept ugly but winning football for the present.

Roll on the big summer clean out, an influx of new players, and hopefully next season will see a winning team that's capable of playing with a bit of arrogance and panache.

That is what I hope for.

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Surely every season is about winning and only winning ?

If we played hoofball and won the Scottish Cup I would be happy :confused:

If Hibs could win the Scottish by ANY means I would except it.

In REALITY we wont win the SC Every season and we wont finish 3rd or higher every season so IMHO it is about doing the best we can and hopefully finish top 3 0r 4 and win a cup now and again, hopefully have a few young stars and play some great football.

P.S. If it was ONLY about winning we would all support O.F., Man Utd, or Barca

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I suppose the point I am trying to make is -

If Hibs played like they did at Paisley everyweek finished Top 6 Every year finished 3rd every 4 years or so and won a cup every 10 - 15 years, would you have a season ticket ?

The Falcon
21-02-2011, 05:20 PM
SORRY !!!

But you also qualified the statement by saying, in capitals, "DONT GET ME WRONG"

It would appear that I, and others, have done just that. Did you not want Calderwood to resign a few short weeks ago?

Franck is God
21-02-2011, 05:23 PM

If Hibs played like they did at Paisley everyweek finished Top 6 Every year finished 3rd every 4 years or so and won a cup every 10 - 15 years, would you have a season ticket ?

I am a Hibs fan and the only thing that determines whether I buy a ST or not is whether I can afford it.

I do prefer to be watching free flowing football but in reality sometimes picking up points is more important and it doesn't matter how you do it.

I do think that in the summer CC will be looking to add more footballers to the team and more creativity and striking options too, this is a hard thing to do in the January window and there will be far more options available in the summer.

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 05:29 PM
But you also qualified the statement by saying, in capitals, "DONT GET ME WRONG"

It would appear that I, and others, have done just that. Did you not want Calderwood to resign a few short weeks ago?

I did not call for him to resign but had serious doubts, I am still not convinced by CC but he did identify our weakness (lightweight midfield) and has sorted that and fully deserves his chance.

If we had failed to score and been beaten at E.R. by St Mirren then I think he should have resigned 8 - 9 games without a goal would have been too much and dare I say a real embarressment not only to Hibs but CC.

ancient hibee
21-02-2011, 05:34 PM
I did not call for him to resign but had serious doubts, I am still not convinced by CC but he did identify our weakness (lightweight midfield) and has sorted that and fully deserves his chance.

If we had failed to score and been beaten at E.R. by St Mirren then I think he should have resigned 8 - 9 games without a goal would have been too much and dare I say a real embarressment not only to Hibs but CC.

But we didn't fail to score and we did beat St.Mirren so what is the point of inventing a scenario and saying the manager would have resigned.

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 05:38 PM
But we didn't fail to score and we did beat St.Mirren so what is the point of inventing a scenario and saying the manager would have resigned.

I was answering a question put to me, I said imho he should not would have resigned if that had happened.

Phil D. Rolls
21-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Every silver lining has its cloud.

steakbake
21-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I want to see us lift silverware and have forays into Europe. If that means scrapping 1 nil wins all the way, then that'd do me fine. I've seen more flair teams undone by workmanlike opposition than the other way round.

machibby
21-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I think it's fair to say that the first win against St mirren the other week wasn't that great a spectacle as was the killie game, but these wins have sure put a smile on my face. It's great to see a fighting will in the side again.
From what I've seen, all CC signings have improved the side and I think we have to remember these were made in difficult circumstances - the January window when there a little or no bosmans and given the fact our league position pointed to a very real relegation threat. CC will have greater scope in the summer and I'm fairly confident that he will provide us with a better balance of fight and performance. I also imagine Petrie will be fairly impressed with the signings and give him full backing.
The one thing I would agree with the OP is with regards Sodje. But there again, I don't think he was CCs first choice in signing and I'd imagine he'll be more of a squad player next season.

Haymaker
21-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Points at the moment, we need them to be sure of survival.

We need the flair and skill of exciting sides yes, but we also need to be able to grind out and win points when games just dont go our way. Some games it just wont click and we need to grind out the points - thats how you win championships.

truehibernian
21-02-2011, 06:08 PM
If you listen to Lennon's postmatch interview he hits it bang on the head, and what most Hibs fans have been pleading with Mixu and Hughes to do......that being get the midfield sorted out as it is the most important area of the pitch. Being an ex midfielder I obviously would agree........but it is no surprise we look more solid, we defend less but better, and have shape......all down to a manager who saw it and sorted it in one window. Hughes was insistent we had "too many lefties" yet ignored height and braun. Mixu played 4-3-3 with play often by-passing midfield (which he has learned from at Killie)

Next window I think we will see centre halves come in, wingers and a creative midfielder. Wouldn't be surprised if Leigh Griffiths comes on loan too for a real energetic, sniffer type striker.

CC will have us a formidable outfit to play against. 100% confident of that.

Haymaker
21-02-2011, 06:26 PM
CC will have us a formidable outfit to play against. 100% confident of that.

:agree:

BEEJ
21-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Your assumption underlying that question is that CC is completely satisfied with the current product on the park and will be perfectly happy for Hibs to play the way they did yesterday in every match from now on while he's in charge.

Utter nonsense.

Three weeks ago we were staring down the barrel of a fierce relegation battle that no-one expected us to win. We've now improved our chances considerably after three 'battling' performances.

Far, far too early to get up tight about the flair vs results debate.

jdships
21-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Your assumption underlying that question is that CC is completely satisfied with the current product on the park and will be perfectly happy for Hibs to play the way they did yesterday in every match from now on while he's in charge.

Utter nonsense.

Three weeks ago we were staring down the barrel of a fierce relegation battle that no-one expected us to win. We've now improved our chances considerably after three 'battling' performances.

Good post :thumbsup:
The next few weeka unril the end of the season are about two things IMO
1 Securing our SPL place.
2. CC being given /taking the opportunity to FULLY assess the squad . This will, hopefully, lead to weeding out the "dead wood"

Forget the flair v results arguments . This season is basically over except for pride in the jersey and the players own self esteem .
Both very important , in my book

:flag:

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 08:30 PM

Utter nonsense.

Thanks for that, that is exactly what I expected. If you read my opening post I say

"Tin Helmut on just a bit of banter and debate. Dont take it too seriously."

Of course CC is not happy neither was Mixu or Yogi but they could not change it, so that sort of answers your point.

Of course it is far too early just wanted to start a bit of debate. If peeps take your stand point you are right it is far too early lets wait until December and see wre we are.

EasterRoad4Ever
21-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Points are everything at this stage. CC has been left with a dreadful legacy of wasters who were overly pampered and used to l there way through matches without a care in the world.

IMHO cc has done a terrific job in the Jan window and appears to have arrested the slide that was taking us down. His trades in the summer will be much more revealing about how he sees the club progressing, but importantly, he will have sent a clear message to the Hibs Board that he can spot a player and make things happen. We're not out of the woods yet, but the side appears to have the drive and steel needed to get us out of this mess.

free flowing footy can come later.

GloryGlory
22-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Good post :thumbsup:
The next few weeka unril the end of the season are about two things IMO
1 Securing our SPL place.
2. CC being given /taking the opportunity to FULLY assess the squad . This will, hopefully, lead to weeding out the "dead wood"

Forget the flair v results arguments . This season is basically over except for pride in the jersey and the players own self esteem .
Both very important , in my book

:flag:

I would disagree with that - we are still far from safe from relegation (although it is now much less likely than three games ago) and we still have a lot of work to do. However, we still have to play Hamilton 3 times, and if Accies can get a couple of results before that we could be back down scrapping in the basement again.

jdships
22-02-2011, 11:18 AM
I would disagree with that - we are still far from safe from relegation (although it is now much less likely than three games ago) and we still have a lot of work to do. However, we still have to play Hamilton 3 times, and if Accies can get a couple of results before that we could be back down scrapping in the basement again.

Your post is something of a contradiction in terms !!:rolleyes:
Where do I say we are safe from relrgation ?
What I said said was " Forget the flair v results arguments " as the season is over for worrying about flair :confused:

Love your negativity though - well done :thumbsup:

GloryGlory
22-02-2011, 12:17 PM

Your post is something of a contradiction in terms !!:rolleyes:
Where do I say we are safe from relrgation ?
What I said said was " Forget the flair v results arguments " as the season is over for worrying about flair :confused:

Love your negativity though - well done :thumbsup:

Sorry if I misunderstood you, you said our season was basically over. I commented that we are far from safe from relegation still - I never said that you said that. I only said that to contrast with your statement about our season being basically over. That statement is the bit I highlighted in my reply.

I've obviously misinterpreted that as meaning you think we have nothing left to play for. IMHO, making sure you avoid relegation and getting as high up the league as possible means your season is still very much alive.

I apologise for my negativity in stating our season is still very much alive, as opposed to your positivity in stating our season is basically over. :wink:

I'm merely offering a different opinion to yours - it is still mathematically possible for Hibs to be relegated, that is neither positive or negative, that is a cold, hard fact. We also know that there are major weaknesses in our team (e.g. if Palsson, Scott, etc get suspensed, as is likely, who do we call on - Rankin? What about if our central defenders - hardly the best in the league - get injured/suspended?). A couple of reverses, coupled with the possibility that Hamilton could win a couple of games, means that we would be back in the relegation mix. All this is also cold, hard fact. So, IMHO, our season is very far from over.

jdships
22-02-2011, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=jdships;2741518]

Sorry if I misunderstood you, you said our season was basically over. I commented that we are far from safe from relegation still - I never said that you said that. I only said that to contrast with your statement about our season being basically over. That statement is the bit I highlighted in my reply.

I've obviously misinterpreted that as meaning you think we have nothing left to play for. IMHO, making sure you avoid relegation and getting as high up the league as possible means your season is still very much alive.

I apologise for my negativity in stating our season is still very much alive, as opposed to your positivity in stating our season is basically over. :wink:

I'm merely offering a different opinion to yours - it is still mathematically possible for Hibs to be relegated, that is neither positive or negative, that is a cold, hard fact. We also know that there are major weaknesses in our team (e.g. if Palsson, Scott, etc get suspensed, as is likely, who do we call on - Rankin? What about if our central defenders - hardly the best in the league - get injured/suspended?). A couple of reverses, coupled with the possibility that Hamilton could win a couple of games, means that we would be back in the relegation mix. All this is also cold, hard fact. So, IMHO, our season is very far from over.

I bow to your superior knowledege of things football and leave it like that :greengrin
:hibees

erin go bragh
22-02-2011, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=jdships;2741518]

well my glass must be half full ,cause if we can win our next 3 games [ict,hamilton and st johnstone ] we will have a good chance of making the top six and our season will be very much alive as 4th place would be within our reach :greengrin
ggtth

jdships
22-02-2011, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=GloryGlory;2741578]
well my glass must be half full ,cause if we can win our next 3 games [ict,hamilton and st johnstone ] we will have a good chance of making the top six and our season will be very much alive as 4th place would be within our reach :greengrin
ggtth

Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post

I apologise for my negativity in stating our season is still very much alive, as opposed to your positivity in stating our season is basically over.

Please quote correctly I DID NOT POST THE ABOVE

:bitchy:

The Falcon
22-02-2011, 07:39 PM
I agree pretty much .. What worries me is that Calderwood has no history of managing or putting together teams that play in the way we ideally like.

So are you unhappy cos we're not Barcelona? Are you unhappy cos we won? Or are you just unhappy that there is less chance of us being relegated now?

Sammy7nil
22-02-2011, 07:52 PM
So are you unhappy cos we're not Barcelona? Are you unhappy cos we won? Or are you just unhappy that there is less chance of us being relegated now?

Your disapproval of this thread is noted, no need to challenge every post :greengrin

As I said everyone is happy with 3 wins just looking to have a wee debate about where we will go in future, the points made were asked way too soon. Dont take it too serious. :wink:

The Falcon
22-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Your disapproval of this thread is noted, no need to challenge every post :greengrin

As I said everyone is happy with 3 wins just looking to have a wee debate about where we will go in future, the points made were asked way too soon. Dont take it too serious. :wink:

I dont think I challenge EVERY post.

For the millionth time stop exaggerating :greengrin

Sammy7nil
22-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I dont think I challenge EVERY post.

For the millionth time stop exaggerating :greengrin

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: