PDA

View Full Version : Dickoh's Appeal Successful

shamo9
17-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Excellent news on the official site (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110217/red-card-appeal-successful-_2262950_2295682). The more we can keep a settled (winning!) side the better. St Mirren will throw everything at us, this is a must win game for them but if we can sneak it then we can finally start looking towards the right end of the table.
:agree:

Hopefully Dickoh and co can get that clean sheet.

Golden Bear
17-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Excellent news on the official site (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110217/red-card-appeal-successful-_2262950_2295682). The more we can keep a settled (winning!) side the better. St Mirren will throw everything at us, this is a must win game for them but if we can sneak it then we can finally start looking towards the right end of the table.

They kept that one quiet. I never even knew the club had lodged an appeal.

Things seem to be turning our way at last.

Excellent.

:thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
17-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Great news, though will be interesting to see the reaction of the refereeing fraternity.

easty
17-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I thought it was a good tackle, but still didn't think they'd overturn the red card. Good news :aok:

3pm
17-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Main benefit is that Palsson will continue to play midfield.

Big Frank
17-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Rightly so!

Nonsense red card in the first place!

cabbageandribs1875
17-02-2011, 12:52 PM
i wonder if they would have overturned it had we lost/drew the game :hmmm: the SFA/refferees association(whatever) must be getting a tad p@ssed off at us winning all our appeals lately :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
17-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Well done Rodders. Despite it being clear to any experienced football fan that Dickoh's tackle was not a foul never mind a red card offence, I'm surprised we bothered to appeal given the normally defensive nature of the SFA.

Maybe the officials strike has made Peat and co actually examine the quality of the decision making of some of these oafs. Linesmen are especially culpable of bizarre calls.

It does show how threadbare our squad is at present that we are celebrating Dickoh's return though. I expect him to be on the bench at the most next season.

Having said that, he had a good game marking Higdon at ER last time out.

Westie1875
17-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Common sense prevails. Has Rod been bullying the SFA, we seem to be winning everything we appeal these days?

hibbymac
17-02-2011, 12:55 PM
The way I see it is, if they don't think it was a red card and it doesn't sound like it's been reduced to a yellow...... then should it have been a penalty?:dunno:

It's a conspiracy:wink: :devil:

Taz_hibee
17-02-2011, 12:56 PM
That should mean the diving Bar-steward that got him the red should get one instead :agree:

Sir David Gray
17-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Glad that the appeal has been successful but why was there no mention that we had even lodged an appeal? :confused:

He's not the best defender we've ever had but if he was banned for Sunday and with Ian Murray also suspended, we would have been forced to play a very young defence, which wouldn't have been an ideal scenario.

greenginger
17-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I think its the new way to handle appeals, no mention in the press and therfore no pressure on the referee one way or another. It was the same with Killie's appeal for Garry Hay before last weeks game, nobody seem to know he was playing until the teams were announced.

It should produce a higher percentage of correct appeal decisions, I wonder if the Smellies management team will adopt this approach or if they see "results" in pressurizing officials eg. Mark Wilson staying on the park after a clear 2nd yellow offence in their last game.

Also I wonder if any of the press will re-assess their "Take" on the incident.
Stone-wall penalty , Linesman spot-on etc. etc.

Future17
17-02-2011, 01:12 PM
That should mean the diving Bar-steward that got him the red should get one instead :agree:

Just because it wasn't a red card (or a foul IMO) doesn't mean he dived.

Saorsa
17-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Just because it wasn't a red card (or a foul IMO) doesn't mean he dived.He did though :agree:

billbee
17-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Result - Was A Shifty Red ! Same team except Murray for Sunday more optimistic now! Mon The Hibs :greengrin

hibbytam
17-02-2011, 01:36 PM
I suppose, and i'll say this very quietly, some credit has to go to the SFA for admitting they were, or at least their man was wrong. Which is something they don't like doing.

ancient hibee
17-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Does this mean that the ref.,who didn't give the penalty, was also advised by the linesman it was a red card has taken a look at the incident and thought to himself that he got it right the first time?

Spike Mandela
17-02-2011, 02:03 PM
A nice two fingered salute to all the Killie fans on the phone ins, nearly all the Sunday and Monday journalists and especially to game reporter Charlie 'Vlad's Bitch' Mann who all said it was a clear and obvious foul and red card.

GIRFUY:flag:

WindyMiller
17-02-2011, 02:11 PM
A nice two fingered salute to all the Killie fans on the phone ins, nearly all the Sunday and Monday journalists and especially to game reporter Charlie 'Vlad's Bitch' Mann who all said it was a clear and obvious foul and red card.

GIRFUY:flag:

It pain's me to say it, but Alan Preston was doing "Open all Mikes" and called it right.
The Ref maybe looked at the stramash near the end and decided he'd been overly harsh on our players.

GreenCastle
17-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Good news...more settled the side the better :agree:

Dickoh played against the Saints last time so will know what to expect - very physical up front :agree:

The best news is that Palsson can stay at defensive midfield :aok:

Scott for Murray will be the only change I would imagine...

3 points please - got a feeling of a draw though...

Hermit Crab
17-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Excellent news. Well done SFA for agreeing that it was never a red card. Onwards and upwards now i hope! :greengrin

flash
17-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Does this mean that the ref.,who didn't give the penalty, was also advised by the linesman it was a red card has taken a look at the incident and thought to himself that he got it right the first time?

Indeed. The ref actually got 2 out of the 3 big calls right, our penalty was marshmallow soft, but was talked into a massive error by his linesman.

DaveF
17-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Has anyone spoken to Mixu and asked for his opinion since in his view, it was a 'clear penalty, no doubt'.

Er, naw it wisnae, Mixu.........

delbert
17-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Its certainly good news that Dickoh won his appeal, but in truth Higdon gave Dickoh a torrid time two weeks ago, Dickoh rarely beat him in the air and was constantly troubled and out muscled by Higdon for almost the entire match. Luckily St Mirren on the night did'nt get players forward quickly enough to support Higdon, who was often left holding the ball up waiting for a chance to lay it off which never came.

I would doubt if St Mirren will be quite so timid in attack on Sunday, and I expect Dickoh and Hanlon will have to be ready for a bit more of the same from him, Higdon is not the best player they have, but he is very effective at what he does, but if we do manage to keep him quiet, then I am confident that the worst we will get on Sunday will be a draw.

brog
17-02-2011, 03:26 PM
I think its the new way to handle appeals, no mention in the press and therfore no pressure on the referee one way or another. It was the same with Killie's appeal for Garry Hay before last weeks game, nobody seem to know he was playing until the teams were announced.

It should produce a higher percentage of correct appeal decisions, I wonder if the Smellies management team will adopt this approach or if they see "results" in pressurizing officials eg. Mark Wilson staying on the park after a clear 2nd yellow offence in their last game.

Also I wonder if any of the press will re-assess their "Take" on the incident.
Stone-wall penalty , Linesman spot-on etc. etc.

Exactly! I wonder if we'll see Colin Duncan in DR, who pilloried Conroy for his original decision, making any comment? 2 red cards vs Killie, both overturned but both made our task on pitch much more difficult. Three successful appeals in a row, what's the world coming to?

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-02-2011, 03:27 PM
This puts the final stamp on a truly miserable performance by the ref and officials last weekend. It is one thing to say that there is not enough respect in the game. It is another thing altogether, to do nothing to earn it, apart from put on a black uniform and blow a whistle.

.Whitey.
17-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Decision going our way again - Maybe the refs are conspiring againt celtic :rolleyes: :greengrin

Golden Bear
17-02-2011, 03:41 PM
[/B]

Exactly! I wonder if we'll see Colin Duncan in DR, who pilloried Conroy for his original decision, making any comment? 2 red cards vs Killie, both overturned but both made our task on pitch much more difficult. Three successful appeals in a row, what's the world coming to?

That was one of the most biased and nonsensical reports that I have ever read.

He must be Keith Jackson's apprentice.

TonyStokeprano
17-02-2011, 03:46 PM
How many players have we had wrongly sent off in recent years, i can think off three : miller x2, dickoh.

Any others ?

lapsedhibee
17-02-2011, 03:49 PM
How many players have we had wrongly sent off in recent years, i can think off three : miller x2, dickoh.

Any others ?

Boozy v Huns at ER 3-3

GreenCastle
17-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Its certainly good news that Dickoh won his appeal, but in truth Higdon gave Dickoh a torrid time two weeks ago, Dickoh rarely beat him in the air and was constantly troubled and out muscled by Higdon for almost the entire match. Luckily St Mirren on the night did'nt get players forward quickly enough to support Higdon, who was often left holding the ball up waiting for a chance to lay it off which never came.

I would doubt if St Mirren will be quite so timid in attack on Sunday, and I expect Dickoh and Hanlon will have to be ready for a bit more of the same from him, Higdon is not the best player they have, but he is very effective at what he does, but if we do manage to keep him quiet, then I am confident that the worst we will get on Sunday will be a draw.

Higdon was a handful :agree:

Hopefully they will be ready for it and have Palsson again in front to help.

The good news is that even we got a player sent off against Killie it didn't affect the result - imagine if we had drawn 2v2 or lost due to a wrong decision.

So are the refs saying it wasn't a penalty then too if it wasn't a red :confused::confused:

erin go bragh
17-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Any others ?
brebner against the diet huns,early doors but still beat them 1 nil [garry o in the last min] brebners red reduced to a yellow after we appealed :top marks
"10 men we only need 10 men " quality
paco luna against the real huns , also at the leith san siro [ dallas sent him off after he scored, saying he used his hand ]

clerriehibs
17-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Higdon was a handful :agree:

Hopefully they will be ready for it and have Palsson again in front to help.

The good news is that even we got a player sent off against Killie it didn't affect the result - imagine if we had drawn 2v2 or lost due to a wrong decision.

So are the refs saying it wasn't a penalty then too if it wasn't a red :confused::confused:

No ... getting a penalty against you doesn't automatically mean you get a red card. It's been rescinded, either because the ref decided at the time that dickoh had prevented a clear goal-scoring chance (and now thinks differently), or because he thought at the time that Dickoh was guilty of violent conduct (which is laughable) and now thinks differently. Either way, the ref can still maintain he saw a penalty offence ... even if he knows that he didn't really.

GreenCastle
17-02-2011, 04:43 PM
No ... getting a penalty against you doesn't automatically mean you get a red card. It's been rescinded, either because the ref decided at the time that dickoh had prevented a clear goal-scoring chance (and now thinks differently), or because he thought at the time that Dickoh was guilty of violent conduct (which is laughable) and now thinks differently. Either way, the ref can still maintain he saw a penalty offence ... even if he knows that he didn't really.

But the penalty was given because Dickoh was judged to have not won the ball and tripped the Killie player :agree:

If that was what the ref thought then straight red as it was a goal scoring opportunity and he was last man -except Stack who was in goals.

If the red card has been rescinded and not even a yellow given then surely the refs are pretty much admitting it wasn't a pen.

Not all penalties are red cards but in this case it was either -

1. Pen and RED CARD

2 No Pen - fair tackle

As the player was about to score..

or ?? tell me :confused:

Monktonhall 7
17-02-2011, 04:52 PM
We have had some very dodgy decisions against us recently. I wasnt at the match:wink: but saw the highlights. The Ref looked in not a bad position to see the incident, yet took the Linesmans view, who although was looking straight across was still a lot further away than the Ref. I hope we got an apology from the SFA, and the officials are sent down to the 3rd division for a few weeks.

KeithTheHibby
17-02-2011, 05:29 PM

Any others ?

Brebner against the Yams I think in 2003 at ER.

We still won the game 1-0 with a last minute winner from GOC.

Stuart Dougal was the fud in black.

fife hfc
17-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Agree 100%. Excellent news as we need to keep a settled side as much as possible. Only one change required so more confident now.

greenlex
17-02-2011, 07:05 PM
But the penalty was given because Dickoh was judged to have not won the ball and tripped the Killie player :agree:

If that was what the ref thought then straight red as it was a goal scoring opportunity and he was last man -except Stack who was in goals.

If the red card has been rescinded and not even a yellow given then surely the refs are pretty much admitting it wasn't a pen.

1. Pen and RED CARD

2 No Pen - fair tackle

We are all assuming the red card was for denying the goal scoring opportunity. Maybe the red card was for Dickohs reaction to the Killie player after he thought he dived. The appeal system looked at that reaction and decided the red was harsh on TV evidence. Who knows its like the bloody secret service with the SFA.:rolleyes:

GreenCastle
17-02-2011, 07:08 PM
We are all assuming the red card was for denying the goal scoring opportunity. Maybe the red card was for Dickohs reaction to the Killie player after he thought he dived. The appeal system looked at that reaction and decided the red was harsh on TV evidence. Who knows its like the bloody secret service with the SFA.:rolleyes:

Would be a world football first :wink:

PC Stamp
17-02-2011, 07:08 PM
And Steve Conroy will likely still be reffing a game this weekend and the linesman will likely be running a line somewhere.

Conroy should be banned for at least a couple of games for not having a big enough pair of nadgers to stand by his own original correct decision ... and the linesman should be banned for a similar number of games AND sent immediately to the nearest barnch of their sponsor Specsavers .... cos he clearly doesn't have eyes which are up to the required standard for the SPL!

Baldy Foghorn
17-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Glad common sense has prevailed, it was not a penalty and therefore not a red card. Poor refereeing constant throughout the match.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-02-2011, 09:51 PM
http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/spl/aberdeen/a-painful-aside-to-sending-off-1.719173

Hunter sent off at ibrox? for a foul on "elbows" (he was at it all the time) Hateley
This piece refers to it but is about the derby Hunter would of course go on to shatter the hoodoo

iwasthere1972
17-02-2011, 11:02 PM

Great news.

To counter the wrong decision Hibs should be allowed to bring on an extra player for the last 18 minutes the next time we play Kilmarnock at Easter Road.

1875godsgift
18-02-2011, 01:24 AM
i wonder if they would have overturned it had we lost/drew the game :hmmm: the SFA/refferees association(whatever) must be getting a tad p@ssed off at us winning all our appeals lately :greengrin

Perfect example for the introduction of video evidence.
Imagine if we had gone on to lose that game cos we were one man down?

Maybe each team should get 1 call per half? Who knows, something's got to be done to move the game into the 21st century.

1875godsgift
18-02-2011, 01:37 AM

I completely agree, there's absolutely no accountability on there part it's about time they had to justify their decision making.
TBH I think it's about time we actually think about how these people are appointed in the first place I can't remember voting for the president of the SFA?
Just looks like jobs for the boys to me.

IWasThere2016
18-02-2011, 05:07 AM
They kept that one quiet. I never even knew the club had lodged an appeal.

Things seem to be turning our way at last.

Excellent.

:thumbsup:

MON THE HIBEES! :thumbsup:

Moulin Yarns
18-02-2011, 05:17 AM
Just because it wasn't a red card (or a foul IMO) doesn't mean he dived.

It does mean our goal difference is one goal worse off than it should be though.

CallumLaidlaw
18-02-2011, 06:40 AM

Thats the thing, the ref didn't see a penalty offence, which is why, from 5 yards away, he never gave it. He then took the advice of his assistant who was 25 yards away, and awarded the pen and the red card. :rolleyes:

brog
18-02-2011, 07:40 AM
We have had some very dodgy decisions against us recently. I wasnt at the match:wink: but saw the highlights. The Ref looked in not a bad position to see the incident, yet took the Linesmans view, who although was looking straight across was still a lot further away than the Ref. I hope we got an apology from the SFA, and the officials are sent down to the 3rd division for a few weeks.

A poster on Evening News states lino is a rabid Yam, is there any other kind? Now we don't want to follow in the footsteps of the lesser greens but it's a conspiracy I tell you. PS, lino name is Keith Sorbie, in this case maybe Sorbie seems to be the hardest word!! Sincere apologies! :greengrin

greenlex
18-02-2011, 08:17 AM
A poster on Evening News states lino is a rabid Yam, is there any other kind? Now we don't want to follow in the footsteps of the lesser greens but it's a conspiracy I tell you. PS, lino name is Keith Sorbie, in this case maybe Sorbie seems to be the hardest word!! Sincere apologies! :greengrin

He isn't a Yam. I played golf with him a handful of years back. Can't remember who he said but wasn't them cos I would have remembered.:greengrin

The Gorf
18-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Poster has responded in the Scotsman today saying that the linesman was Keith Sorbie: Diehard Jambo ex-jambo mascot and season ticket holder at the pink bus shelter. The poster says"Sorbie hates everything Hibernian". Should he officiate again at a Hibs game?:confused:

number 27
18-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Thats the thing, the ref didn't see a penalty offence, which is why, from 5 yards away, he never gave it. He then took the advice of his assistant who was 25 yards away, and awarded the pen and the red card. :rolleyes:

My impression at the time was that the lino didnt make the decision either. It looked to me that nothing happened until the linesman started to listen to his earpiece. I felt that there were a couple of occasions where it seemed that the fourth official was sticking his oar in.

clerriehibs
18-02-2011, 10:49 AM

1. Pen and RED CARD

2 No Pen - fair tackle

Do you know that was why he was sent off? Derek Adams said they would appeal as he didn't think it was violent conduct.

Anyway, a player will get sent off for denying a clear goal scoring chance. If an appeal was made on the grounds that it wasn't a clear goal scoring chance, then it can still have been a penalty if there was a foul. In this case, the referee might still think there was a foul, but changed his mind about the clear goal scoring chance aspect.

GreenCastle
18-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Do you know that was why he was sent off? Derek Adams said they would appeal as he didn't think it was violent conduct.

Anyway, a player will get sent off for denying a clear goal scoring chance. If an appeal was made on the grounds that it wasn't a clear goal scoring chance, then it can still have been a penalty if there was a foul. In this case, the referee might still think there was a foul, but changed his mind about the clear goal scoring chance aspect.

Yes - he was sent off for being the last man and tripping ( violent conduct ) the Killie player who was about to score.

Regarding the appeal - were you at the game ? seen the highlights ? If not here there are again -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9396433.stm - 3mins 10secs in.

As a ref you ask yourself did he win the ball ? If yes - no foul - play on.

If no and he took the player - then penalty and red card as he's through on goal.

The Killie player is tripped just in front of the 6 yard box with only the GK to beat.

I am not sure how he could change his mind about a goal scoring chance - the Killie player wasn't heading to the corner flag or facing away from goal :confused:

WindyMiller
18-02-2011, 01:54 PM

I'm no rugby fan but I've watched incidents were the Ref has made a decision, then explained to the player why he made it, and this is clearly heard by the people in the studio/ t.v. audience.

greenlex
18-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm no rugby fan but I've watched incidents were the Ref has made a decision, then explained to the player why he made it, and this is clearly heard by the people in the studio/ t.v. audience.

I like the hierarcy in Rugby and Football could learn a whole lot from it.
A few things I would like to see introduced from the egg chasers are.
Blood Substitutions
Physio on giving treatment as the game goes on. (would stop stupid timewasting and this players kicking the ball out so a player can receive treatment.
Penalised 10 yards for dissent. You dont see a players surrounding the ref and trying to run the game.

I am sure there must be more.

WindyMiller
18-02-2011, 03:06 PM
I like the hierarcy in Rugby and Football could learn a whole lot from it.
A few things I would like to see introduced from the egg chasers are.
Blood Substitutions
Physio on giving treatment as the game goes on. (would stop stupid timewasting and this players kicking the ball out so a player can receive treatment.
Penalised 10 yards for dissent. You dont see a players surrounding the ref and trying to run the game.

I am sure there must be more.

I'm sure football's tried that before. Sometimes moving the ball 10 yards is to the detriment of the kicker, although perhaps a sin-bin could be introduced. Give the Captain the choice of moving the free-kick or sending the player to the sin-bin.

Private education/fagging etc.

clerriehibs
18-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Yes - he was sent off for being the last man and tripping ( violent conduct ) the Killie player who was about to score.

Regarding the appeal - were you at the game ? seen the highlights ? If not here there are again -

If no and he took the player - then penalty and red card as he's through on goal.

The Killie player is tripped just in front of the 6 yard box with only the GK to beat.

I am not sure how he could change his mind about a goal scoring chance - the Killie player wasn't heading to the corner flag or facing away from goal :confused:

Tripping someone up who is has an obvious chance of scoring is not a red card for violent conduct. It's a red card for denying an obvious chance of scoring.

Dickoh was sent off for violent conduct, and that was because of how he reacted to the killie player's dive.

lapsedhibee
19-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Private education/fagging etc.

:greengrin

Moulin Yarns
19-02-2011, 08:45 AM

Sorry NJ, but IMHO Dickoh made a good tackle, winning the ball before tripping the player. The ref didn't immediately point to the spot so he wasn't convinced of either a foul being commited or a goal scoring opportunity being denied. Any decisions were made after consulting the assistant ref.

matty_f
19-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Tripping someone up who is has an obvious chance of scoring is not a red card for violent conduct. It's a red card for denying an obvious chance of scoring.

Dickoh was sent off for violent conduct, and that was because of how he reacted to the killie player's dive.

I think he was sent off for denying the goal-scoring opportunity. These cases can be reviewed and appealled, and when you see the challenge again you can see that it's not a foul and therefore not a red card.

If he was sent off for violent conduct, as that one would have stuck (assuming it was for raising his hands, he did and if that was what the ref saw then there would be no reason to change the decision. That said, if that was a red card then there should have been four dished out to the Killie players that steamed into Scott in the stramash at the dug outs).

We've had a fair few red cards rescinded over the last season or two, can think of Miller at Motherwell, potentially another one at Motherwell(?), and now Dickoh's.

And Celtc think there's a conspiracy against them?:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2011, 08:54 AM
The linesman gave the penalty, he ran to the corner flag catching the refs attention. The ref then consulted him. Watch the highlights, the linesman gave the penalty for a foul.

bingo70
19-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Still can't believe thats been overturned, IMO at the time i thought it was a stonewaller and even watching the highlights i still think it was a definate penalty and a red card.

shows what i ken about football eh!

matty_f
19-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Still can't believe thats been overturned, IMO at the time i thought it was a stonewaller and even watching the highlights i still think it was a definate penalty and a red card.

shows what i ken about football eh!

I had a great view of it at the time, and I was convinced Dickoh had made a great tackle, and gave the linesman pelters for giving the penalty.

Shows what I ken about football!! :greengrin

Reaper
19-02-2011, 10:23 AM

Good news, better that Palsson stays in midfield. C'mon the Hibs!

GreenCastle
19-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Sorry NJ, but IMHO Dickoh made a good tackle, winning the ball before tripping the player. The ref didn't immediately point to the spot so he wasn't convinced of either a foul being commited or a goal scoring opportunity being denied. Any decisions were made after consulting the assistant ref.

I agree it wasn't a pen - I was replying to another post :aok:

GreenCastle
19-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Was he not sent off for a professional foul ? Every report I have read said that.

Where does it say violent conduct ? :confused: