PDA

View Full Version : Reggae Britannia

Phil D. Rolls
12-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Amybody been watching these excellent programmes. Amazing to see Judge Dread introducting the acts in 1974. What was also interesting was how low tech the gigs in those days were. Band on stage, cinema's own lights etc

What has stuck out for me is the influence that English cities have had on the genre. Due acknowledgement was given to the whiteys who love the music and played their part moving it on.

The concert at the Barbican was most notable for the number of white faces in the audience. Seems to me that reggae has gone the same way as the blues, invented by black people and claimed by the whites.

We'll all be skanking with our zimmer frames soon, but reggae music is a sublime art form that deserves celebration. Well done auntie Beeb.

Betty Boop
12-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Amybody been watching these excellent programmes. Amazing to see Judge Dread introducting the acts in 1974. What was also interesting was how low tech the gigs in those days were. Band on stage, cinema's own lights etc

What has stuck out for me is the influence that English cities have had on the genre. Due acknowledgement was given to the whiteys who love the music and played their part moving it on.

The concert at the Barbican was most notable for the number of white faces in the audience. Seems to me that reggae has gone the same way as the blues, invented by black people and claimed by the whites.

We'll all be skanking with our zimmer frames soon, but reggae music is a sublime art form that deserves celebration. Well done auntie Beeb.

Yes, I watched this last night. I especially liked that thing Desmond Dekker done with his lips ! :greengrin

Groathillgrump
12-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Great programmes. :thumbsup:

Does anybody know where the gig from Edinburgh was filmed? Me and the wife were going mad trying to work out what cinema or theatre it was.

H18sry
13-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Brilliant spot I used to have a lot of his singles on vinyl back in the day, so just googled him and have bought his compilation cd "big Tin" from e-bay for £7 :thumbsup:

Hillsidehibby
13-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Great programmes. :thumbsup:

Does anybody know where the gig from Edinburgh was filmed? Me and the wife were going mad trying to work out what cinema or theatre it was.

I think it was the old Empire theatre, now the Festival theatre. I recognised the fence at the front of the stage.

Phil D. Rolls
13-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Hadn't realised that gig was in Edinburgh. It would go some way to explaining the rows of empty seats - they just don't get it up here.

Betty Boop
18-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Toots and The Maytals just starting on BBC 4.

discman
18-02-2011, 08:57 PM

lovin it :greengrin

discman
18-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Seen whats coming up next? Just gets better :greengrin