PDA

View Full Version : Buying Flights advice

SlickShoes
28-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I am going to San Francisco in June 14th - 21st to see some gigs over the course of that week. Anyway last week when i looked at flights it was £500 per person from Edinburgh, now its up over £600 per person.

I looked at similar dates and its cheaper, i looked at different dates completely and its different prices again. Anyway the more i search for the dates i want the more the prices seem to go up ever so slighlty. This will sound daft but can the website put up prices based on realising im constantly looking at the same set of flights?

My plan now is to wait until the prices change again and try and get one when they are a bit lower, hopefully that works out!

Sylar
28-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I am going to San Francisco in June 14th - 21st to see some gigs over the course of that week. Anyway last week when i looked at flights it was £500 per person from Edinburgh, now its up over £600 per person.

I looked at similar dates and its cheaper, i looked at different dates completely and its different prices again. Anyway the more i search for the dates i want the more the prices seem to go up ever so slighlty. This will sound daft but can the website put up prices based on realising im constantly looking at the same set of flights?

My plan now is to wait until the prices change again and try and get one when they are a bit lower, hopefully that works out!

I'm having the exact same problem right now.

Trying to book flights to head over to Michigan/Ohio in May/June to spend some time with friends for a couple of weeks. I looked on Tuesday and there were flights for £440. I had to OK the specific dates with my supervisors, as my field season has to be extended and we're not sure how long, but by the time they got back to me (Wednesday afternoon), the flights are now up at £580.

Ridiculous!

SlickShoes
28-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm having the exact same problem right now.

Trying to book flights to head over to Michigan/Ohio in May/June to spend some time with friends for a couple of weeks. I looked on Tuesday and there were flights for £440. I had to OK the specific dates with my supervisors, as my field season has to be extended and we're not sure how long, but by the time they got back to me (Wednesday afternoon), the flights are now up at £580.

Ridiculous!

Sounds similar, once when i went to Vegas i panicked when i saw the price go up and i bought the flights. Then when i checked for my flights a few weeks later they were back down in price and i was raging. So its kind of making me want to wait and see what happens but i dont want to leave it to the last minute.

My mrs says they update most wednesdays as booked but not payed for flights clear from systems then and they can re asses whats available or what the demand is like. Its annoying anyway!

Woody1985
30-01-2011, 09:40 AM
I believe they have software built in to push prices up the more searches on the flights but could be wrong.

Also, the less seats left on the flight the prices go up because there's less availability. I think in the past they used to go down to fill the flight but it meant people always left it later to book.

Search Google and check for your question though and you'll probably get something more definate than what I've said.

Peevemor
30-01-2011, 09:43 AM
I believe they have software built in to push prices up the more searches on the flights but could be wrong.

:agree: The prices are calculated based on the demand for flights on a given date.

Pretty Boy
30-01-2011, 01:10 PM

Also, the less seats left on the flight the prices go up because there's less availability. I think in the past they used to go down to fill the flight but it meant people always left it later to book.

Search Google and check for your question though and you'll probably get something more definate than what I've said.

:agree:

The more interest shown in a flight the higher the price.

I had a situation a while ago when me and a few mates decided to go to Krakow for a few days. I researched flight prices on Easyjet and we agreed to book that night. We met up that night to get it sorted and the prices were already higher than i had seen earlier that day. We all wanted to book on diferent credit cards so i booked mine for £150 return, the next booking was £185 return and by the time it got to the 5th booking it was up to £255 return.

Absolute joke that airlines can get away with this.

SlickShoes
01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Yeah i done some more research into this and the general consensus is:

Book after the 7th of the month, before that is too close to payday.

Book on a wednesday after 11pm at night. Dunno what the logic in this is.

Book 7-11 weeks before you are due to leave as this is the optimal price time to book a flight.

I think my wife found some wiki that listed all of this and the reasons for doing so, but January is usually expensive too because of the closeness to christmas.

I will keep looking but ill keep my searching down since im sure the more i searched the more the prices went up!

Sylar
01-02-2011, 08:56 PM
I almost ended up booking through STA travel, as they offer cheaper flights to students and under 26 year old travellers.

However, a quick search for reviews on the company made me rethink this idea swiftly.

I'll hold off til tomorrow evening, but I'm beginning to get a bit worried that the prices are only going in one direction just now.

Sylar
01-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Anyone have any experience using genieflights.com?

They seem to be quite a lot cheaper than a lot of the other search engine flights, are ATOL protected, but seems that you can only book through phoning them?

The prices on their website are specified by the dates you select and they seem to be very cheap indeed...

www.genieflights.com

Sylar
04-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Did you ever get your flights booked SS?

I booked mine back in mid-Feb and I'm glad I did, as the price has just continued to go up.

Granted, there are flights which are now £150 cheaper than what I paid, but the flight times are absolutely rotten, with 2+ stops.

Quite happy to have paid a little extra for a more direct flight with less layovers in between.