PDA

View Full Version : Why is Smith still in goals?

KiddA
26-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I just don't get it :confused:

The guy had a shocker on Saturday and he is playing again :dunno:

Bostonhibby
26-01-2011, 07:30 PM

:agree: terrible, can only surmise Petrie has put the transfer budget on Rngers to win, they guy is awful, the Huns are simply going to get him under pressure early on, I fear for the worst and hope for the best, but looking at his "efforts" at Motherwell I am worried about CC's judgement, actually wondering if we are selling Brown!

burghhibs
26-01-2011, 07:30 PM

I Don't belive it!!

Aitchy
26-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Bizarre. I can only presume he spat the dummy out after being dropped and is now being shunned. Can be no other explanation. Can't blame him either. Calderwood is making a rod for his own back.

Gettin' Auld
26-01-2011, 07:35 PM
That's a brutal decision.......I assume Stack is on the bench?

pacorosssco
26-01-2011, 07:35 PM
would like calderwood himself to be pressed on this by media

easty
26-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Bizarre. I can only presume he spat the dummy out after being dropped and is now being shunned. Can be no other explanation. Can't blame him either. Calderwood is making a rod for his own back.

If he's spat the dummy out then he has to be left out! It would be making a rod for his own back if he was taking ****** from the players and letting them have their own way.

That said...I hope theres a way to reconcile any problems as Brown is a good keeper, our best.

PeeJay
26-01-2011, 07:41 PM

Brown must be in the bad books and Stack is not fully fit ... there cannot be any other reason, surely? So we're stuck with him - hope he doesn't read Hibs.net or the little confidence he has will be completely gone ... let's hope he has a good one this evening.

HibsMax
26-01-2011, 07:44 PM
If he's spat the dummy out then he has to be left out! It would be making a rod for his own back if he was taking ****** from the players and letting them have their own way.
It's a sad state of affairs but I agree with what you're saying. The players have to respect the manager. I don't want us to cut off our nose despite our face but if we want a manager who is going to lead this team to bigger and better things then but I think he has to put the foot down in order to let them know who is boss.

Everyone is saying that Brown is the best we have but I've also seen posts talking about us looking at different keepers. If we already have a good keeper then this must either be for his backup or because he's being emptied.

Whatever the reason, it still sucks but I wish Smith all the best and hope he can get it right tonight.

scottp1875
26-01-2011, 08:07 PM
dont agree with decision but calderwood did come out the other day and say every keeper will have their chance and this is smiths chance. after saying that he cannae really change his mind.

hopefully he plays better tonight:wink:

renato
26-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Only a matter of time.......yet again.

Littlest Hobo
26-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Bad defending for the goal but surely Smith should have got a hand to that:rolleyes:

HibsMax
26-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Only a matter of time.......yet again.

There seems to be some difference of opinion. Some people say it was his fault, others say he could have done better and yet others say he had no chance...

renato
26-01-2011, 08:26 PM
There seems to be some difference of opinion. Some people say it was his fault, others say he could have done better and yet others say he had no chance...

True. I think it was a combination of bad defending (yet again) and bad goalkeeping (two games on the trot). He should really have done better.

MussiHibee
26-01-2011, 08:41 PM
He just told us in the east nearest him to f off before he went in at ht. That somes him up in a nutshell

marinello59
26-01-2011, 08:42 PM
He just told us in the east nearest him to f off before he went in at ht. That somes him up in a nutshell

And what was said to him?

I don't think he has been that bad tonight. Nish will be glad he has been replaced as head hate figure though.

pacorosssco
26-01-2011, 08:51 PM
dont agree with decision but calderwood did come out the other day and say every keeper will have their chance and this is smiths chance. after saying that he cannae really change his mind.

hopefully he plays better tonight:wink:

worrying to have trials when were fighting relagation. brown saves goals riorden scores them both dropped.

nortonhibby
26-01-2011, 09:06 PM

Stack injured, Brown fallen out with CC No other option.

keep the faith
26-01-2011, 09:39 PM

Also sums up the crowd in a nutshell at times.

IberianHibernian
26-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Maybe could have done more at first goal but went on to have a good game . After years of having a reasonable team but problems in goals we now have a terrible team and 3 goalies who can all step in when required . I rate Smith as 3rd after Stack and Brown but he`s good for a 3rd choice goalie .

3pm
26-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Was told the night that Smith has been told he'd play in the 3 games that he's just had...and Stack will play the next 3. Mental way to do things if true.

calamitus
26-01-2011, 10:34 PM
I thought Smith's performance tonight was pretty good - maybe could have done better at the first goal, but pretty good apart from that - saving the sclaffed shot/cross thing late on was a bonus. His confidence is maybe coming back with having a run in the team.

I still think Brown's our best keeper, but there seems to be something going on behind the scenes there. I think Smith when he's playing well is a better keeper than Stack - we saw glimpses of that keeper when he first arrived - , but he's had his confidence knocked.

Stack seems to have permanently high confidence levels, but is, in my opinion, a fairly average keeper - certainly not bad, but average. You could argue that the complete wide-o who joined the Celtc huddle (anyone know what he said?) is exactly the kind of personality who'll get us out of this hole we're in, but I still think Smith can be the better keeper when he's on form

BEEJ
26-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Was told the night that Smith has been told he'd play in the 3 games that he's just had...and Stack will play the next 3. Mental way to do things if true.
In which case Stack, for one, won't be leaving this window.

MrRobot
26-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Smith played very well tbh tonight. Yes maybe a bit better on the first one but im sad to say it but Ian Murray really is a shadow of his former self. His marking is getting worse and he isn't closing down - I dont think he can keep up the pace of 90minutes now. Real shame cause he is totally comitted. Hope im wrong.

Liberal Hibby
26-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Smith played very well tbh tonight. Yes maybe a bit better on the first one but im sad to say it but Ian Murray really is a shadow of his former self. His marking is getting worse and he isn't closing down - I dont think he can keep up the pace of 90minutes now. Real shame cause he is totally comitted. Hope im wrong.

Well said. Smith wasn't a problem tonight.

Franck is God
26-01-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm just back from the match and I thought Smith had a good game tonight and couldn't do a lot about either goal and made some good saves too.

HFC 0-7
26-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Stack injured, Brown fallen out with CC No other option.

Stack looked OK in the warm up at the start of the game. Was also out warming up at half time. gave a young boy in the east his training top at half time.

MrRobot
26-01-2011, 11:30 PM
:rolleyes: and the first one had no significance cos it was only the first one?

No because he tried to get there and did get a hand to it. Blame is on Murray for that. Left his man all alone and to give credit it to Bougey; it was a quality shot. Cannot blame Smith for that one.

calamitus
26-01-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm just back from the match and I thought Smith had a good game tonight and couldn't do a lot about either goal and made some good saves too.

I agree that Smith had a good game tonight, and it's great to see that it looks like his confidence is back.

I don't think you could reasonably expect a keeper to save either of those goals tonight. However, I do think that Brown might have saved one of them - based on his shot stopping being absolutely top drawer lately, so I'd still have him in goal in front of Smith.

blackpoolhibs
26-01-2011, 11:33 PM

I wonder if he might have done better with the 1st goal, although Murray was the main culprit at that one.:grr:

The Voice Of Reason
26-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Just back from the game - at the game I thought Smith should have saved the first goal. Having now seen a re-run on TV I definately think he should have saved it. Put it this way, a half decent keeper would have saved it.

Smith is extremely poor (and that is me being polite).

Liberal Hibby
27-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Just back from the game - at the game I thought Smith should have saved the first goal. Having now seen a re-run on TV I definately think he should have saved it. Put it this way, a half decent keeper would have saved it.

Sadly you do your nomenclature no good with this comment.

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Sadly you do your nomenclature no good with this comment.

Yikes, a big word.

I would love to be as intelligent as you :agree:

GreenCastle
27-01-2011, 12:25 AM

:agree:

Bad Martini
27-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Bullsheite is not needed here.

Smith is ***** and isn't good enough for Hibs.

Simple. Lets no be daft and kid ourselves on here eh. He IS crap. He wasn't to blame for goal one though - that was down to Murray and his woeful attempt at marking then jumping towards the baw. Murrays fault, 100%. Let the hun fire the trigger and had plenty time and space to do so.

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2011, 12:31 AM

Simple. Lets no be daft and kid ourselves on here eh. He IS crap. He wasn't to blame for goal one though - that was down to Murray and his woeful attempt at marking then jumping towards the baw. Murrays fault, 100%. Let the hun fire the trigger and had plenty time and space to do so.

Agree that he is hopeless.

Disagree with the bit i bold though, I reckon most keepers in the SPL would have saved it (regardless of Murray or anyone elses mistake previous to that).

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2011, 12:33 AM

P.S Totally agree with this bit in bold. Hopefully Liberal Hibby will take heed :agree:

Bad Martini
27-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Agree that he is hopeless.

Disagree with the bit i bold though, I reckon most keepers in the SPL would have saved it (regardless of Murray or anyone elses mistake previous to that).

Possibly mate but the point being, it shouldn't have gotten that far.

That said , I see we are still persisting with this uber-radge strategy of one man on the line going BETWEEN the front and back posts. Very risky, very stupid and surely not the plans of a defensive man like Calderwood???? Not good.

Liberal Hibby
27-01-2011, 12:35 AM
P.S Totally agree with this bit in bold. Hopefully Liberal Hibby will take heed :agree:

Hmmm...

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Possibly mate but the point being, it shouldn't have gotten that far.

That said , I see we are still persisting with this uber-radge strategy of one man on the line going BETWEEN the front and back posts. Very risky, very stupid and surely not the plans of a defensive man like Calderwood???? Not good.

Agreed and I am not defending Murray. Keepers are there to bail players out when they do make mistakes though......I am sure (from Smith's reaction at the game which may not have been picked up by the cameras) that Smith himself thought he should have saved it :agree:

Anyway, no point debating this anymore. :agree:

Bad Martini
27-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Agreed and I am not defending Murray. Keepers are there to bail players out when they do make mistakes though......I am sure (from Smith's reaction at the game which may not have been picked up by the cameras) that Smith himself thought he should have saved it :agree:

Anyway, no point debating this anymore. :agree:

You'll no find me defending Smith mate. For my money, he shouldn't even be on the bench. Brown ... then Stack and, if both injured, THEN Smith.

ENDOF

Franck Stanton
27-01-2011, 12:44 AM
[QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;2711421]I wonder if he might have done better with the 1st goal, although Murray was the main culprit at that one.:grr:[/QUOTE

I was sitting near front of East stand almost in line with the BNS that scored 1st goal and there wasnt really that much sting/force in the shot, now I am back home and have watched my recording of game [ especially this goal numerous times] have confirmed my suspiscions that Smith should have saved the shot, possibly not caught it cleanly but got a hand to it to divert it away from goal. Conceed however he did everything humanly possible in his attempt to save second goal.

Gala Foxes
27-01-2011, 05:50 AM
He is a horror show, crap at crosses / corners and slowest distribution I have ever seen

Have said it before and will say it again - either Ross County away or Motherwell 6-6 should have been his final games for Hibs

PeeJay
27-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Last night's game was a good one for Smith, he didn't fumble the ball, he made several brave saves at the feet of onrushing Rangers players and one or two good saves 2nd half, his kicking was OK as well - the first goal wasn't his fault (Murray should have closed the guy down: he had a free shot), the second goal wasn't his fault (Towell's silly backpass). Criticise him when he plays badly yes, but when he actually has a good game?

Billy Whizz
27-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Last night's game was a good one for Smith, he didn't fumble the ball, he made several brave saves at the feet of onrushing Rangers players and one or two good saves 2nd half, his kicking was OK as well - the first goal wasn't his fault (Murray should have closed the guy down: he had a free shot), the second goal wasn't his fault (Towell's silly backpass). Criticise him when he plays badly yes, but when he actually has a good game?

Can't disagree with that!

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2011, 09:13 AM
CC says in interview that Smiths kicking was better, and that he has done himself no harm.....

scoopyboy
27-01-2011, 09:15 AM
CC says in interview that Smiths kicking was better, and that he has done himself no harm.....

Doesn't really matter its Stack's turn for three games now.

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Doesn't really matter its Stack's turn for three games now.

Surely yuo would give all 3 keepers bounce games Jock, rather than giving them 3 SPL games each..... Far too much tinkering from CC....

bringbackjoeT!!
27-01-2011, 09:33 AM
I heard that CC has promised both Smith and Stack 3 1st team games in a row to prove themselves, smith has now had his 3 stack will play against dundee u and the following 2 games. Seems a crazy way to do it, you dont mess about with the goalkeeping position like that:confused::confused:

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2011, 09:50 AM

CC is just as bad as Yogi with the complete bollox he spouts. Its best to ignore what managers say, or take no real notice as they all say the same.

scoopyboy
27-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Surely yuo would give all 3 keepers bounce games Jock, rather than giving them 3 SPL games each..... Far too much tinkering from CC....

I agree mate, but watch this space.

sixtwo
27-01-2011, 12:11 PM
So far I have refrained from criticising Calderwood. I feel he inherited a poor squad at a difficult time and the contract situation made a difficult job almost impossible. his decisions are testing my patience though. Brown should be in. Riordan should be in. Towell is a bizarre signing. Nish should be out. The two other lads he has brought in do not excite me at all.

All I ask is that he makes the right decisions. Smith is a bombscare and should be no where near the team. Nish was poor before, now he is not interested he is worse than useless.

Get rid off the dead wood and bring in a decent calibre of player or we are going down!

Our squad is poor. The playerds attitude is stinking. Confidence is low. Why make a difficult task more difficult by leaving out our only goal threat and best goalkeeper!??

DH1875
27-01-2011, 07:43 PM
I heard that CC has promised both Smith and Stack 3 1st team games in a row to prove themselves, smith has now had his 3 stack will play against dundee u and the following 2 games. Seems a crazy way to do it, you dont mess about with the goalkeeping position like that:confused::confused:

That makes no sence to me. Every game id diff and a keeper playing against Rangers will have more to do than a keeper playing against St Mirren or Hamilton.

Thought Smith was OK last night but the whole Brown thing does make me wonder even more about CC.

Kaiser1962
27-01-2011, 08:02 PM
That makes no sence to me. Every game id diff and a keeper playing against Rangers will have more to do than a keeper playing against St Mirren or Hamilton.

Thought Smith was OK last night but the whole Brown thing does make me wonder even more about CC.

Apparently, I am told, Brown is persona non grata at the moment. He has been carrying a wee injury and never let on till it got quite bad, hence the particularly poor kick outs off late (they were never good but....). However he is, I am told, in no doubt how CC feels about this so we will have to wait and see how this pans out.