PDA

View Full Version : Rice on Radio Scotland

Sammy7nil
24-01-2011, 06:39 PM
"No problems in the dressing room, no factions in the dressing room.

:wink:

Sammy7nil
24-01-2011, 06:41 PM
The chairman said to Stokes " we will put you in the shop window score goals and we will let you move"

Sammy7nil
24-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Gordon said - "A lack of height and weakness in the Hibs squad". Rice thinks maybe not.

Rice the target for the fans "should be the people at the top "

Rice no privvy to how much was invested in the team :confused:

Sammy7nil
24-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Is there anger and resentment that you were sacked ? "Yes of course who would have done better with the squad" ?

What was said why were you sacked - "results simply results"

"When we were 3rd place at times last year we were in a false place we were not that good"

Greentinted
24-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Gordon Smith has just dug a huge hole for himself with discussion on the Keys/Gray sexist argument -

"most women, even those who go to football, don't understand the offside rule" Squirm, slaver, squirm "...and neither do most men either"

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Did Brian mention why they signed De Graff without seeing him in the flesh? :rolleyes:

RIP
24-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Gordon said - "A lack of height and weakness in the Hibs squad". Rice thinks maybe not.

Rice the target for the fans "should be the people at the top "
Rice no privvy to how much was invested in the team :confused:

Funny that eh - was that not the line that Collins and Mixu were going down

As fans we prefer to shoot the monkey - not the organgrinder

Speedway
24-01-2011, 09:11 PM
What's Rice going to say, seriously.

CC is the first one who's had the balls to admit mistakes.

To everyone else, it's someone else's fault.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Funny that eh - was that not the line that Collins and Mixu were going down

As fans we prefer to shoot the monkey - not the organgrinder

Well they should come out and say so rather than pussying about. Are they men or mice?

stantonhibby
24-01-2011, 09:15 PM

:top marks

smurf
24-01-2011, 09:29 PM
All these management appointments and their coaching staff were hopeless duds.

Obviously not when interviewed for the positions but with the amazing resources given over four years they've exposed their own incompetence.

This board over four years have invested an unbelievably incredible double amount on acquiring all these duds replacing the sold off family silver than they have on their own remuneration.

So quite rightly should any of these duds ask questions they will be instantly dismissed by the Pro Board Brigade.

darwenhibby
24-01-2011, 09:34 PM
:top marks

CC realising he has made mistakes. Credit to him.

Privately his biggest mistake is taking the job in the first place.

He would not have realised how bad things are at ER until he was in the job for two weeks.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 09:36 PM

Obviously not when interviewed for the positions but with the amazing resources given over four years they've exposed their own incompetence.

This board over four years have invested an unbelievably incredible double amount on acquiring all these duds replacing the sold off family silver than they have on their own remuneration.

So quite rightly should any of these duds ask questions they will be instantly dismissed by the Pro Board Brigade.

But they dont. They only "allude" to certain things without coming out and saying this happened or that happened. They must be the biggest bunch of pussies and cowards out IF they actully put up with the interference that is inferred. I wouldnt and I dont think any man worth his salt would.

greenlex
24-01-2011, 09:36 PM
CC realising he has made mistakes. Credit to him.

Privately his biggest mistake is taking the job in the first place.

He would not have realised how bad things are at ER until he was in the job for two weeks.
Unless he was told before he took the job and that is why he is so relaxed about the situation.

Just Jimmy
24-01-2011, 09:40 PM

aye well he's doing a great job making them.

Pedantic_Hibee
24-01-2011, 09:41 PM
But they dont. They only "allude" to certain things without coming out and saying this happened or that happened. They must be the biggest bunch of pussies and cowards out IF they actully put up with the interference that is inferred. I wouldnt and I dont think any man worth his salt would.

Stephen Frail did. But then he was just a satsuma in a tracksuit so he doesnae count.

Whilst I don't doubt Petrie has considerable flaws, interfering with the team sheet and riding roughshod over managers in terms of signings is not his domain and he's openly admitted it's nothing to do with him.

ginger_rice
24-01-2011, 10:03 PM

I've been totally misquoted :greengrin

BEEJ
24-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Which is why JC walked. He after all had the financial wherewithal to need neither a package to leave Hibs quietly nor another immediate job in UK football management.

No matter how difficult your working environment may be, you don't do your CV any good by rubbishing your former employer in public.

Winston Ingram
24-01-2011, 10:53 PM
It pisses me off these pricks abdicating responsibility.

They were given a huge budget in comparison to most SPL clubs and signed 14 players of which only a couple of which were a success.

The only mistake the people at the top made was given erseholes like him a job.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Which is why JC walked. He after all had the financial wherewithal to need neither a package to leave Hibs quietly nor another immediate job in UK football management.

No matter how difficult your working environment may be, you don't do your CV any good by rubbishing your former employer in public.

JC's walked cos he's a huffy guy who didnt get his own way and, your right, he didnt need the money. But again, as has been highlighted elsewhere, he didnt half sign some duds. Depending on your point of view that was his/the boards fault (delete as appropriate) but he's not exactly been snapped up elsewhere.

He has great ideas but until he accepts that he may actually not be perfect he wont achieve anything in management, which is a great pity and a waste.

jonny
24-01-2011, 11:05 PM
It pisses me off these pricks abdicating responsibility.

They were given a huge budget in comparison to most SPL clubs and signed 14 players of which only a couple of which were a success.

The only mistake the people at the top made was given erseholes like him a job.

:agree::top marks

I know it's been said time and again but JH brought nearly the entire current squad in and for me has to shoulder the blame for our current predicament.
How anyone can say he wasn't supported is outrageous, Im sure it was actually 16 players he brought in. What other team in Britain (other than Man City) signs 16 players in 18 months?
JC, Mixu and JH were all the choices of the fans at the respective times, the board made these choices IMO because they were easy.
This time the board have gone the other way and surprised us all. Give CC time and we'll see if Rod has a better idea of what it takes to run our football club than most of us do.

jacomo
24-01-2011, 11:38 PM
:agree::top marks

I know it's been said time and again but JH brought nearly the entire current squad in and for me has to shoulder the blame for our current predicament.
How anyone can say he wasn't supported is outrageous, Im sure it was actually 16 players he brought in. What other team in Britain (other than Man City) signs 16 players in 18 months?
JC, Mixu and JH were all the choices of the fans at the respective times, the board made these choices IMO because they were easy.
This time the board have gone the other way and surprised us all. Give CC time and we'll see if Rod has a better idea of what it takes to run our football club than most of us do.

Ah, but he couldn't keep Fletcher and Stokes was sold after only a season. Who saw either of those moves coming eh? :rolleyes:

BEEJ
24-01-2011, 11:41 PM
JC's walked cos he's a huffy guy who didnt get his own way and, your right, he didnt need the money. But again, as has been highlighted elsewhere, he didnt half sign some duds. Depending on your point of view that was his/the boards fault (delete as appropriate) but he's not exactly been snapped up elsewhere.

He has great ideas but until he accepts that he may actually not be perfect he wont achieve anything in management, which is a great pity and a waste.
So you're having a go at former managers for only alluding to the constraints under which they had to operate rather than spelling them out.

And then for the one former manager who has said more than anyone on the subject, you rubbish his views because he couldn't spot a player. So his opinion is irrelevant?

Cropley10
24-01-2011, 11:44 PM

Of course he signed Duds, it was his first ever job in management. What an earth would you expect to happen? He got sold on certain players, it didn't work out, that's what happens. In life; inexperienced people can get taken advantage of, I mean he'd never actually worked in any sort of coaching or management role, he couldn't have been less experienced as a manager.

I've met John Collins more than once - he's only a few weeks older than me in fact. Yes he's a confident wee guy but he had a fantastic career as a player and made the very most of himself. I will always remember the great style in which he coached a group of players to a 5-1 Cup Final victory. A wonderful victory and my proudest moment as a Hibee. The 81% game in the QF wasn't bad either. Nor the Semi at Declinecastle. Three national trophies in my lifetime, and Hertz have only had two; magic.

As for 'not getting his own way' and being 'huffy' - well selling Murphy - a very good player for Hibs - and not having a replacement brought in was always going to weaken the side. JC was not in it for the money and could afford to walk, something had not worked out for him, the run we were on before Christmas was dreadful. But he should look back with pride though, and probably a tinge of regret too.

Captain Trips
25-01-2011, 12:06 AM
The chairman said to Stokes " we will put you in the shop window score goals and we will let you move"

Nice building for future there with that. Why is the chairman deciding before ball is kicked that important players can leave. This is half the problem having players with no incentive to remain at Hibs and the minute they are succesful they are off.

Beefster
25-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Nice building for future there with that. Why is the chairman deciding before ball is kicked that important players can leave. This is half the problem having players with no incentive to remain at Hibs and the minute they are succesful they are off.

That's the only way that Hibs can attract players who are capable of playing at a higher level than Hibs. I recall reading that John Collins used exactly the same tactics to try and tempt Jason Scotland and others here.

If they perform, they'll get their move. If they don't, they won't.

Captain Trips
25-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Yes but it leaves us in trouble after they go, there has got to be more in getting in players whom we get more than one from. Again this is part of problem you get him in and punt him and you replace him with another loan. Hibs have to think bigger than shop windows at times.

Barney McGrew
25-01-2011, 07:42 AM

http://janeheller.mlblogs.com/broken-record.jpg

TornadoHibby
25-01-2011, 08:35 AM
http://janeheller.mlblogs.com/broken-record.jpg

You want the real Broken Records (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxdQmlvdd1c&feature=youtube_gdata_player) mate! :wink: :agree:

They're at the Liquid Room this Sunday night then off on a short UK & European tour followed by a North American tour end Feb into March! :cool2:

Definately worth a watch and from Edinburgh so go see them on Sunday night! :agree:

The Falcon
25-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Of course he signed Duds, it was his first ever job in management. What an earth would you expect to happen? He got sold on certain players, it didn't work out, that's what happens. In life; inexperienced people can get taken advantage of, I mean he'd never actually worked in any sort of coaching or management role, he couldn't have been less experienced as a manager.

I've met John Collins more than once - he's only a few weeks older than me in fact. Yes he's a confident wee guy but he had a fantastic career as a player and made the very most of himself. I will always remember the great style in which he coached a group of players to a 5-1 Cup Final victory. A wonderful victory and my proudest moment as a Hibee. The 81% game in the QF wasn't bad either. Nor the Semi at Declinecastle. Three national trophies in my lifetime, and Hertz have only had two; magic.

As for 'not getting his own way' and being 'huffy' - well selling Murphy - a very good player for Hibs - and not having a replacement brought in was always going to weaken the side. JC was not in it for the money and could afford to walk, something had not worked out for him, the run we were on before Christmas was dreadful. But he should look back with pride though, and probably a tinge of regret too.

I went to school with the guy. What does that prove?

Kaiser1962
25-01-2011, 01:35 PM
That's the only way that Hibs can attract players who are capable of playing at a higher level than Hibs. I recall reading that John Collins used exactly the same tactics to try and tempt Jason Scotland and others here.

If they perform, they'll get their move. If they don't, they won't.

Correctemundo.

And if we then break those "agreements" word will soon get about and they wont come here in the first place.

Springbank
25-01-2011, 01:48 PM
John Collins... Yes he's a confident wee guy but he had a fantastic career as a player and made the very most of himself. I will always remember the great style in which he coached a group of players to a 5-1 Cup Final victory. A wonderful victory and my proudest moment as a Hibee. The 81% game in the QF wasn't bad either. Nor the Semi at Declinecastle. Three national trophies in my lifetime, and Hertz have only had two; magic.

100% agree, thank you - good to hear someone else who shares this view.

For those who say it was Mowbray's team, go compare and contrast Mogga's decisions at Tannadice in the League Cup QF the year before (Oconnor and Deek both subbed at 1-0 up, really????) with how St J semi went under JC.

JC kept the best players on the pitch.
He made sound winning manager's decisions.
Both games saw Hibs lose late goals.
In only one game did we have the guts and the spirit to make it happen, and it was under JC.

I do not think Mogga would have won us that semi v St J after their late goal.

Captain Trips
25-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Correctemundo.

And if we then break those "agreements" word will soon get about and they wont come here in the first place.

Well dont make those agreements in first place esp if its not even the manager doing so but the chairman, talking about selling before ball is kicked imo is wrong. Yeah probably only way he would join so whats even more gauling is we would have known towards end of season that he had done well and that the promise would have to be fulfiled. Our contingency use the money to bring in a loan with a record not even close to Stokes.

I would rather we went for somebody like it appears we did today and put down a 3 or 4 year deal maybe not as good as stokes but not a deal geared where Hibs are having to find a replacement and sort out team.

Stokes is good but he is not Messi where i would maybe understand a deal on those terms, Stokes it seems didnt have loads of choices we should have been getting 2 seasons at least out of him.

Too many loans and short term deals are a major part of our problems imo.

Andy74
25-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Collins was a coach at Fulham, had his coaching badges and visited clubs all over the world to see how they worked. He did have some coaching experience.

The facts also seem to be that Collins walked before he even sat down with the Board to talk about players. In fact Mixu was backed with cash to buy players just a few weeks later.

rj hibs
25-01-2011, 09:59 PM
100% agree, thank you - good to hear someone else who shares this view.

For those who say it was Mowbray's team, go compare and contrast Mogga's decisions at Tannadice in the League Cup QF the year before (Oconnor and Deek both subbed at 1-0 up, really????) with how St J semi went under JC.

JC kept the best players on the pitch.
He made sound winning manager's decisions.
Both games saw Hibs lose late goals.
In only one game did we have the guts and the spirit to make it happen, and it was under JC.

I do not think Mogga would have won us that semi v St J after their late goal.

That's probably not true, Mowbray built that team which was one of the best teams we've had in decades. I'm sure we would have cruised through that game, as I cant remember going out of a cup under Mowbray to any team in a league below us.

MontrealHibs
25-01-2011, 10:11 PM
That's probably not true, Mowbray built that team which was one of the best teams we've had in decades. I'm sure we would have cruised through that game, as I cant remember going out of a cup under Mowbray to any team in a league below us.

I agree I think JC would have turned Hibs around given time. But then JC is my all time Hibs hero :-) :top marks

Cropley10
25-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Collins was a coach at Fulham, had his coaching badges and visited clubs all over the world to see how they worked. He did have some coaching experience.

The facts also seem to be that Collins walked before he even sat down with the Board to talk about players. In fact Mixu was backed with cash to buy players just a few weeks later.

I don't doubt he was qualified as a Coach - badges and travelling to observe, but I wasn't aware he had been a Coach at Fulham. By Coach I was meaning he had no experience coaching his own team, managing them, leading them. He was what just 40? Maybe even younger, 39 when he joined Hibs as Manager, still fit, still a good player I'm sure.

I was making the point that he got his pocket picked or certainly thought he was better than he actually was in his ability to pick a player, sign him and make him effective. These duds were not great players, nowhere near. He walked when the Board no longer trusted his judgement, we were on a stinker of a run too.

Kaiser1962
25-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't doubt he was qualified as a Coach - badges and travelling to observe, but I wasn't aware he had been a Coach at Fulham. By Coach I was meaning he had no experience coaching his own team, managing them, leading them. He was what just 40? Maybe even younger, 39 when he joined Hibs as Manager, still fit, still a good player I'm sure.

I was making the point that he got his pocket picked or certainly thought he was better than he actually was in his ability to pick a player, sign him and make him effective. These duds were not great players, nowhere near. He walked when the Board no longer trusted his judgement, we were on a stinker of a run too.

I think he was over reliant on the advice of Tommy Craig as well. Do you remember the press conference when Craig was telling him what to say? A bit of an embarrassment to all concerned.

BEEJ
25-01-2011, 10:57 PM
That's where the problem lay. :agree:

RIP
25-01-2011, 11:47 PM
How many of the players signed by Rod for Collins were JC's first picks?

How many of the players signed by Rod for Collins by Petrie came from the 'pot' of players who approached Hibs direct or via agents - and who were completely unknown to Collins?

How did the quality of replacements compare to the players who were sold by Petrie after Collins took the job?

Cropley10
26-01-2011, 01:15 PM

How many of the players signed by Rod for Collins by Petrie came from the 'pot' of players who approached Hibs direct or via agents - and who were completely unknown to Collins?

How did the quality of replacements compare to the players who were sold by Petrie after Collins took the job?

Very good questions, which we will never know the answer to, I'm afraid.

There are people on here who take everything at face value.

Nish was on the radar, JC walked and then he was suggested to Mixu, who watched him in a Cup Tie before signing him. So Mixu watched him, signed him, but it's stretching credibility to think Nish was Mixu's idea. I understand John Rankin was in a similar position, not wanted by Collins, signed after Mixu came on board.

Whatever the transfer and signing policy is we've had more than our share of bad luck in that we've got through 85 players in 5 years and find ourselves in the teeth of a relegation battle, with some very, very poor players who will still be here next year.

sahib
26-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Very good questions, which we will never know the answer to, I'm afraid.

There are people on here who take everything at face value.

Nish was on the radar, JC walked and then he was suggested to Mixu, who watched him in a Cup Tie before signing him. So Mixu watched him, signed him, but it's stretching credibility to think Nish was Mixu's idea. I understand John Rankin was in a similar position, not wanted by Collins, signed after Mixu came on board.

Whatever the transfer and signing policy is we've had more than our share of bad luck in that we've got through 85 players in 5 years and find ourselves in the teeth of a relegation battle, with some very, very poor players who will still be here next year.

That is an astonishing fact. I wonder how it compares with the previous five and the one before that etc. Does that include youth players who briefly made the sqauad or just players signed as senior pros? To a certain extent we have come to expect, almost demand, this as fans. I suppose it does stimulate renewed interest. There is no patience with players, though. Some players take a while to settle but Hart and De Graff have been written off, after half of their first season with the club. Riordan has a few barren weeks and suddenly it is time to empty him.
In the past (at least in the version I have in my head) players had good seasons and indifferent ones but by and large hung about a while. Jimmy O'Rourke had his best spell about ten years after joining the club iirc.

Cropley10
26-01-2011, 03:16 PM
That is an astonishing fact. I wonder how it compares with the previous five and the one before that etc. Does that include youth players who briefly made the sqauad or just players signed as senior pros? To a certain extent we have come to expect, almost demand, this as fans. I suppose it does stimulate renewed interest. There is no patience with players, though. Some players take a while to settle but Hart and De Graff have been written off, after half of their first season with the club. Riordan has a few barren weeks and suddenly it is time to empty him.
In the past (at least in the version I have in my head) players had good seasons and indifferent ones but by and large hung about a while. Jimmy O'Rourke had his best spell about ten years after joining the club iirc.

Well the good news lots of other teams have had a similar turnover. The bad news is that 10 of those teams are above us in the League.

We appear to have been on a downward spiral, with the continual dilution in player quality combined with a high turnover of managers during the period.

I've said elsewhere - I can't believe you could have watched either Hart or De Graff at the end of last season and thought, "aye quality, they'll do for me".

greenlex
26-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Dunno how many did Rod Sign?

As above

You do know that if you say something enough times it still doesnt become fact?
So come on How many players has Rod Petrie signed over the years?

Cropley10
26-01-2011, 03:27 PM
You do know that if you say something enough times it still doesnt become fact?
So come on How many players has Rod Petrie signed over the years?

Just because you keep denying something it doesn't make it untrue either.

The fact is we'll never know - you either take all this stuff at face value or you don't.

But what was it Sauzee said about the way we're run, again?

greenlex
26-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Just because you keep denying something it doesn't make it untrue either.

The fact is we'll never know - you either take all this stuff at face value or you don't.

But what was it Sauzee said about the way we're run, again?
SO you must know its a fact too if you keep on beating the same drum? Whp are these players?
If we will never know why do some keep on saying it as if its a fact? I only reply when folk state it as fact.
Rankin is the one I suspect folks are alluding to most.
Here is a fact He was offered to Collins. Collins said no. End of the matter.
He was offered to Mixu. Mixu said yes within a week of taking the job.
One manager liked the Idea the other didnt.
Because Petrie floated the idea doesnt make him the one who signed him. If he did the signing then Rankin would have been here under Collins.
So as say who are these players you and 325 are alluding to?

smurf
26-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I would love to know for sure whether our signings are actually specifically all identified by the manager or not.

Or if quite a few others have input?

Because there have been some strange signings including players that whoever was manager appeared reluctant to select in recent years?

JimBHibees
26-01-2011, 04:11 PM
SO you must know its a fact too if you keep on beating the same drum? Whp are these players?
If we will never know why do some keep on saying it as if its a fact? I only reply when folk state it as fact.
Because Petrie floated the idea doesnt make him the one who signed him. If he did the signing then Rankin would have been here under Collins.

Yep what would have happened is likely an agent approaching Hibs saying player is keen to join. RP then likely tells manager who has the final say. Doesnt sound like rocket science or Vlad like interference. Yet some at the moment appear to be gagging on beating Petrie for everything almost as if they are loving it that we are struggling and this somehow justifies their views. Pretty sad IMO.

smurf
26-01-2011, 04:40 PM

But IF the chairman is 'floating' the idea then IMHO that's not good practice.

Different if it was Messi though....

greenlex
26-01-2011, 04:51 PM
But IF the chairman is 'floating' the idea then IMHO that's not good practice.

Different if it was Messi though....
Smurf I would have thought there would be a scouting network allied to probably hundreds of video footage supplied by agents ect. I would think that (and going by what Calderwood suggested when he said 150 players discussed) there is dialogue between all the club employees who have imput. This will include Petrie I would suspect. I would like to think before a player is signed the manager actually sees him play(bounce games and trialists etc) but when I look at De Graff I wonder. I suspect the Petrie floating the idea scenario was part of those discussions with Collins and was carried on with Mixu with the same targets /possibilities remembering he didnt have long to identify what was needed with the squad he inherited from Collins. Rankin was signed within a week of Mixus appointment so may have been a bit of a panic buy but Rod Certainly never signed him per say.
This is all guesswork on my part by the way but would wager its not far off the mark.

Cropley10
26-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Yep what would have happened is likely an agent approaching Hibs saying player is keen to join. RP then likely tells manager who has the final say. Doesnt sound like rocket science or Vlad like interference. Yet some at the moment appear to be gagging on beating Petrie for everything almost as if they are loving it that we are struggling and this somehow justifies their views. Pretty sad IMO.

I think we all agree that we're in the position we're in because of the players, a real lack of quality in the side, not helped by a frequent turnover of managers.

Therefore what's the harm in debating our signing process and strategy, as that's what appears to be broken.

My own personal view is that John Rankin is not the only candidate suggested by the Board.

If we're to improve not only who we sign, but how and who signs them. All IMHO of course.

The Falcon
26-01-2011, 05:22 PM

Sounds sensible to me.

greenlex
27-01-2011, 12:09 AM
I think we all agree that we're in the position we're in because of the players, a real lack of quality in the side, not helped by a frequent turnover of managers.

Therefore what's the harm in debating our signing process and strategy, as that's what appears to be broken.

My own personal view is that John Rankin is not the only candidate suggested by the Board.

If we're to improve not only who we sign, but how and who signs them. All IMHO of course.
Do you think just the boards suggestions? Who do you think falls into this category?