PDA

View Full Version : Out of contract farce.

mjhibby
20-01-2011, 11:01 AM
The one thing that doesnt seemed to be discussed in this crisis is how hibs as a club allowed us to be in the situation where virtually the whole of the 1st team squad(bar brown hart and degraaf i believe)are out of contract in the summer,can sign precontracts and as yet nobody bar a couple of the youngsters have been signed long term.Surely this is one of the contributing factors to the decline yet nobody seems to be asking whow the hell this happened.Was it yogis fault or mixus or the board telling them both only to offer short contracts.
It is a ludicrous situation to be in and as we are nearing the end of january most players will think they will be leaving come july and im sure a few have something probably lined up which may explain some of their performances.Its bad enough the position we are in in the league and confidence wise but whoever is the manger when the contracts run out has a monumental job on his hands as he will have to sign virtually a whole team and start from scratch.Some may see this as a great thing to start with a clean slate but most managers expect a few decent players as a baisis to work from and then add 3 or 4 of his type of player to improve the team.
When this season is over surely there must be a revue by stf and the board into why this happened and to ensure it never happens again.There is one thing being run as business but to let this happen is not only bad business but makes no sense at all.

matty_f
20-01-2011, 11:03 AM
It's been covered already, and apparently was confirmed as being a strategic decision taken by yogi.

Who out of the current first team players would you be wanting to give another two year contract to?

Cropley10
20-01-2011, 11:07 AM
The one thing that doesnt seemed to be discussed in this crisis is how hibs as a club allowed us to be in the situation where virtually the whole of the 1st team squad(bar brown hart and degraaf i believe)are out of contract in the summer,can sign precontracts and as yet nobody bar a couple of the youngsters have been signed long term.Surely this is one of the contributing factors to the decline yet nobody seems to be asking whow the hell this happened.Was it yogis fault or mixus or the board telling them both only to offer short contracts.
It is a ludicrous situation to be in and as we are nearing the end of january most players will think they will be leaving come july and im sure a few have something probably lined up which may explain some of their performances.Its bad enough the position we are in in the league and confidence wise but whoever is the manger when the contracts run out has a monumental job on his hands as he will have to sign virtually a whole team and start from scratch.Some may see this as a great thing to start with a clean slate but most managers expect a few decent players as a baisis to work from and then add 3 or 4 of his type of player to improve the team.
When this season is over surely there must be a revue by stf and the board into why this happened and to ensure it never happens again.There is one thing being run as business but to let this happen is not only bad business but makes no sense at all.

It was all Yogi's fault. Nothing at all to do with the Board. Nothing to see here. Move along now.

HibbyRod
20-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Presumably, if we have to sign 10 players or so in the summer, we will have to vary the length of contracts offered to players to avoid having to sign/resign all at the same time again in say 2 years. :greengrin

matty_f
20-01-2011, 11:13 AM
It was all Yogi's fault. Nothing at all to do with the Board. Nothing to see here. Move along now.

Totally agree, the board should have taken the decision out of yogi's hands and given contacts to players he didn't want next season, that way they would have had the added bonus of denying him that player's wages that could have been used on a new player.

Not only that but it would have given critics who say they don't interfere enough with team matters one less thing to complain about!

Phil D. Rolls
20-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Down with this sort of thing, something has to be done about it, OR ELSE!!!!

johncrobertson@
20-01-2011, 11:27 AM
What I don't understand is why they are not trying to impress other clubs. Assuming they want to keep playing football at a good level, then surely they know that there will be clubs watching them as possible signings!

If you were a club watching the out of contract players at Ayr - would you be interested in signing non triers with a poor attitude.

There is the other possibility of changing CC's mind if you put in great performances until the end of the season. We should be signing players who we know have a positive attitude that rubs of on our younger players in a positive way.

Sign fewer players on a higher wage and blend them with our promising youngsters - Hanlon - Booth - Welsh - Wetherspoon. Sign players that the youingsters will respect, we need role models.

Cropley10
20-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Totally agree, the board should have taken the decision out of yogi's hands and given contacts to players he didn't want next season, that way they would have had the added bonus of denying him that player's wages that could have been used on a new player.

Not only that but it would have given critics who say they don't interfere enough with team matters one less thing to complain about!

There is only one constant at the Club - the Board. Managers come and go, quite frequently, as it happens, so the Board have the full picture of the player roster and the contracts pertaining to them. But this is also the consequence of chopping and changing managers so frequently.

You can't 'blame' Yogi for this situation, as he didn't even sign some of these players. Furthermore there would be no guarantees that Yogi would even remain in post and as it turned out he wasn't.

The issue with so many players being OOC exposes the Club and the team to huge risk. This is an unprecedented, and as I say, risky thing to do. It has not been thought through properly. Our Board appear to be businessmen who are risk averse, yet this is a HUGE gamble and one that Yogi alone should never have been allowed to make.

We could be playing in Div 1 next year with a completely new team, who might be even worse than this lot!!!

Cropley10
20-01-2011, 11:31 AM
What I don't understand is why they are not trying to impress other clubs. Assuming they want to keep playing football at a good level, then surely they know that there will be clubs watching them as possible signings!

If you were a club watching the out of contract players at Ayr - would you be interested in signing non triers with a poor attitude.

There is the other possibility of changing CC's mind if you put in great performances until the end of the season. We should be signing players who we know have a positive attitude that rubs of on our younger players in a positive way.

Sign fewer players on a higher wage and blend them with our promising youngsters - Hanlon - Booth - Welsh - Wetherspoon. Sign players that the youingsters will respect, we need role models.

:agree: - I'd imagined that CC might have said to some of these guys, "you're on Live National TV - go out an impress those watching, earn yourself an opportunity somewhere else" :dunno:

GreenPJ
20-01-2011, 11:41 AM
There is only one constant at the Club - the Board. Managers come and go, quite frequently, as it happens, so the Board have the full picture of the player roster and the contracts pertaining to them. But this is also the consequence of chopping and changing managers so frequently.

You can't 'blame' Yogi for this situation, as he didn't even sign some of these players. Furthermore there would be no guarantees that Yogi would even remain in post and as it turned out he wasn't.

The issue with so many players being OOC exposes the Club and the team to huge risk. This is an unprecedented, and as I say, risky thing to do. It has not been thought through properly. Our Board appear to be businessmen who are risk averse, yet this is a HUGE gamble and one that Yogi alone should never have been allowed to make.

We could be playing in Div 1 next year with a completely new team, who might be even worse than this lot!!!

I don't think the situation we find ourselves in was an oversite I do think it was planned other than the fact that I am sure the board had wanted and expected not to have to change manager again and so Yogi may well have opted to have kept 5 or 6 of them especially as some were players that he had signed. Even if Yogi had stayed there were going to be big changes of personnel in the summer although as opposed to it potentially being all 15 it may well have been 8 or 9 out the door.

Personally I think the board did not take the decisions they have lightly as ultimately having over 50% of your first team squad out of contract gives you very limited resale value.

Cropley10
20-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't think the situation we find ourselves in was an oversite I do think it was planned other than the fact that I am sure the board had wanted and expected not to have to change manager again and so Yogi may well have opted to have kept 5 or 6 of them especially as some were players that he had signed. Even if Yogi had stayed there were going to be big changes of personnel in the summer although as opposed to it potentially being all 15 it may well have been 8 or 9 out the door.

Personally I think the board did not take the decisions they have lightly as ultimately having over 50% of your first team squad out of contract gives you very limited resale value.

Do you agree it's a risk?

Do you agree that even though they might not have expected to change manager again this is always a factor?

Then again I suppose you can't have squad continuity when you don't have managerial continuity.

Do you think we can sign 6 or 7 players in 6 weeks in the Summer?

bighairyfaeleith
20-01-2011, 11:46 AM
The real question is why these players are being allowed to stay at easter Road until the summer.

Sick them on garden leave. Spineless ***** the lot of them:grr:

RIP
20-01-2011, 11:51 AM
If we are ever to break the cycle of 85 players in 5 years we need a root and branch rebuild of the squad. Yogi knew this and it is sad that he wasn't around long enough to see his vision realised.

I firmly believe that Rod, the board and Yogi were as one with a straegy of youth development. By 2012/2013, 12 of our first-team sqaud will be under-23, the wage bill will be much reduced and the endless stream of gunsforhire with no passion for the club will be discontinued.

How anyone can see that as a bad thing astonishes me

matty_f
20-01-2011, 11:54 AM

:agree:

Yogi never signed the players, but they are still on contracts and unless they were willing to accept a pay off, or had other clubs bidding for them, Yogi was stuck with them until (wait for it...) their contracts were up! So, if he didn't want them, all he had to do was sit tight til the summer when he could wave them goodbye.

Littlest Hobo
20-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Seems to me there is no team spirit at the club at the moment amongst any of the players.
I just watched E.Stirling vs Buckie Thistle on SSN, two players from the same team almost came to blows. Why because they care.

I haven't seen as much as a cross word or a dirty look been given from any of our players unless you count Deeks throwing his hands up everytime he doesn't get the ball, but he's done that his whole career.

I think CC needs to get some much needed team spirit back into our squad, that and hard work will take us a long way from the relegation black hole.:aok:

Speedway
20-01-2011, 12:18 PM

We also would've got to accuse them of not backing the manager and setting him up to fail.

It's not fair. PETRIEEEEEEEEEE

matty_f
20-01-2011, 12:18 PM
We also would've got to accuse them of not backing the manager and setting him up to fail.

It's not fair. PETRIEEEEEEEEEE

It's ok, we can do that regardless.:greengrin:greengrin

The Falcon
20-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Yogi never signed the players, but they are still on contracts and unless they were willing to accept a pay off, or had other clubs bidding for them, Yogi was stuck with them until (wait for it...) their contracts were up! So, if he didn't want them, all he had to do was sit tight til the summer when he could wave them goodbye.

I dont really follow all this. Rod said at the AGM that this was the managers decision. Yogi has had the opportunty to deny it on a number of occassions, most recently on national radio at the weekend, but didnt.
The players are rank of that there is no doubt.

It seems if Rod intervenes and tells the manager what to do he is damned and if he dosent then he is also damned for allowing this situation to happen.

GreenPJ
20-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Do you agree it's a risk?

Do you agree that even though they might not have expected to change manager again this is always a factor?

Then again I suppose you can't have squad continuity when you don't have managerial continuity.

Do you think we can sign 6 or 7 players in 6 weeks in the Summer?

Every decision they make is a risk it all comes down to impact and probability and as I say when they appointed Yogi, just as they appointed Mixu and Calderwood with the expectation that the management team would be in place for at least 2 years to then allow a platform to be built.

I don't think we were looking to sign 6 or 7 - I think with no reserve league and the potential development of the old under 19's that were kept on the plan was probably that they would bring in 3 or 4 and reduce the first team squad down to about 23.

matty_f
20-01-2011, 12:29 PM
I dont really follow all this. Rod said at the AGM that this was the managers decision. Yogi has had the opportunty to deny it on a number of occassions, most recently on national radio at the weekend, but didnt.
The players are rank of that there is no doubt.

It seems if Rod intervenes and tells the manager what to do he is damned and if he dosent then he is also damned for allowing this situation to happen.

PaulSmith
20-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Why wait until the summer though to rebuild the squad, if the masterplan was to get rid of all these 16 players at the end of the season then why wait until the 16 have left before starting the rebuild process?

If we've been planning for months to better the squad during January and for the coming summer then why aren't we seeing Bosman deals being announced now? Targets were identified from the first day CC got the job if we believe the statement.

Something doesn't add up. My take is that any rebuilding plan for the summer has been put on hold and we will eventually lose out on CC's top targets because the Board will not sanction any new signings until they see how ST sales are for next season and what league we are playing in.

Perspective
20-01-2011, 12:34 PM
The thing that disappoints me is the players we HAVE under contract.

Brown (best of a bad lot granted), De Graaf, Hart and Murray are not guys I'd like to see have a long-term future at the club if we're to move forward.

Guys like Booth, Hanlon and Wotherspoon are the future. Let's find the players to complement them.

aberhibsfc
20-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I think it's a massive gamble.

On the one hand it allows you to see off players you don't want at the club and free's monies up for new.

On the other you may lose players you would rather keep and will we be able to source and afford the requisite number of players to maintain a healthy and competitive 1st team squad.

In addition the board would be able to re-align contracts with players if we were going into the 1st Division rather than pay higher salaries to SPL contracted players. Whilst this sounds like a silver lining, it isn't really because this would only benefit if we were on a financial precipice contract wise but obviously you would have reduced income in the 1st. So rather than a double whammy of reduced income and SPL expenditure it would balance out a bit. But hey, who wants to be in the 1st Division and surely that was not a board plan. Also if you are paying smaller contracts you would see an even lower level of player which would make it all the harder to retain SPL foothold or heaven forbid attempt to escape the 1st Division.

To put a positive spin on it, I can only hope the board plan to operate with a smaller player base but on improved salaries within given budget. Also working towards youth scouting and player development.

All that said, I firmly believe the board and CC should not allow us to skulk out of this window with no team improvement. It may cost more than we budgeted for but a small hit just now could prevent a far greater one at the end of the season. St Mirren and Hamilton look more likely to pick up a point here and there, we are showing no signs of this at the moment.

Captain Trips
20-01-2011, 12:37 PM
It is a farce, we have to remember that the players out of contract were signed 2,3 or even 4 years ago in the main. Now suely when we signed the 9th, 10th 11th player out of the ones out of contract somebody must have thought we already have 8 players with a contract ending at same time as the new guy and this has just kept going until we end up with 16 players out of contract.

This hasn,t just happened it occured over last few years and nobody could know what was ahead so Imo it was not the right way to go. We have ended up with players whom dont care but the plus is we can get rid. Imagine if the playrs had been excellent and did not wish to sign again.

It should never have happened and it shows a lack of planning, when I finish work today i will be starting a thread about loans which follows on from this, bet you cant wait :-)

Peevemor
20-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Why wait until the summer though to rebuild the squad, if the masterplan was to get rid of all these 16 players at the end of the season then why wait until the 16 have left before starting the rebuild process?

If we've been planning for months to better the squad during January and for the coming summer then why aren't we seeing Bosman deals being announced now? Targets were identified from the first day CC got the job if we believe the statement.

Because the players being looked at will hopefully be good enough to attract interest from elsewhere, therefore they and their agents will wait to see the best offer that comes in. If we offer someone say £5k per week, they might easily be offered double that by a championship club.

Something doesn't add up. My take is that any rebuilding plan for the summer has been put on hold and we will eventually lose out on CC's top targets because the Board will not sanction any new signings until they see how ST sales are for next season and what league we are playing in.

I think you're wrong.

GreenPJ
20-01-2011, 12:39 PM

To get rid of you have to pay them off, if you pay them off you have to have replacements therefore you carry extra cost (paying two players for the last 6 months of the season).

As for losing out on top targets - how many top targets are going to sign based on our current position and the risk of relegation?

Ultimately as much as we would like there to be there is not a pot of money hiding somewhere within ER or East Mains to suddenly appear when RP feels under enough pressure to 'splash the cash'. Season tickets is what funds the purchase of new players and so they have a duty to account for sales and income in setting budgets. We may be able to secure some additional credit from banks to increase the debt (although its not guaranteed that banks will give any money these days) but do we really want to go and add 1 or 2M to the debt without having a plan or mechanism to repay it.

GreenPJ
20-01-2011, 12:47 PM
The thing that disappoints me is the players we HAVE under contract.

Brown (best of a bad lot granted), De Graaf, Hart and Murray are not guys I'd like to see have a long-term future at the club if we're to move forward.

Guys like Booth, Hanlon and Wotherspoon are the future. Let's find the players to complement them.

I think the issue is that we can handle 4 or 5 journey men in a squad (pick those 4 or 5 from any of the 15 out of contract). The problem is we have acquired 11 or 12 journey men and we can't have that volume and be able to function well.

aberhibsfc
20-01-2011, 12:50 PM
To get rid of you have to pay them off, if you pay them off you have to have replacements therefore you carry extra cost (paying two players for the last 6 months of the season).

As for losing out on top targets - how many top targets are going to sign based on our current position and the risk of relegation?

Ultimately as much as we would like there to be there is not a pot of money hiding somewhere within ER or East Mains to suddenly appear when RP feels under enough pressure to 'splash the cash'. Season tickets is what funds the purchase of new players and so they have a duty to account for sales and income in setting budgets. We may be able to secure some additional credit from banks to increase the debt (although its not guaranteed that banks will give any money these days) but do we really want to go and add 1 or 2M to the debt without having a plan or mechanism to repay it.

There seems to be an air of inevitability. I know that Petrie is not a leprechaun sitting on a pot of gold, he is too big and has the wrong colour of hair. But it's a case of can we afford not too. They may need to pull forward on the players they would have sourced for next season reducing the budget for the summer.

I agree, I don't want to be paying players off again because akin to manager pay-off's we have been doing this too much in recent seasons. Mind you the flip side is on the most part we are not paying for them in the first place so we are probably not that much worse off.

I am sure many Hibsnetters have come across an issue in their personal lives when they have befallen some event which requires attention and finance which if they are anything like me tends to happen when you don't have it. What do you do, let the pipe keep dripping, let the car overheat. Whatever you do, however you can, you see to it as you know in the long run if you leave it, it's going to be more damaging.

Now I have to find finances for situations as most of you will and it can be painful and frustrating. But on my limited knowledge I manage to sort something out. We have a board of accountants, I am sure they could find the answer if they needed too.

I don't want to be the prophet of doom but surely a blind man can see that whilst our plan on paper seems achievable we don't dwell within a Matrix, Sage and Powerpoint are not translating well into the real world. Our player incumbent is showing no signs of competence and we are lurking towards some serious squeeky bum time.

PaulSmith
20-01-2011, 12:52 PM

In a nutshell then the Board will wait to see how many ST we sell before signing anyone, is it not supposed to work the other way about?

Sales, income, funds and budgets..exactly what we get from our current board. Maybe remind them that we are a football club whereby supporters like to get excited, buy into a plan, can't wait to see our new signings and see some guts to take reasonable risks with the money that is available to generate some additional income.

GreenCastle
20-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Posted this on another thread yesterday..

Contracted till 2012

We have...and in no specific order "

Hart :rolleyes:
Murray
De Graff :rolleyes:
Mark Brown
Hogg :rolleyes:

Hanlon
Stevens
Wotherspoon

Booth

Taggert - I am not sure about

The rest can leave us now if another club comes in or leave for free in the summer.

How many players will actually move up a level - playwise when they leave ? All depends on the agents - maybe Miller due to his history of clubs (the Man Utd card) ? That's about it I think.

Players I would think about keeping..Zemmama (needs a good pre-season) and Deeks(if it was on our terms). Dickoh could be ok with a leader beside him. The rest still need to convince me

Peevemor
20-01-2011, 12:56 PM
In a nutshell then the Board will wait to see how many ST we sell before signing anyone, is it not supposed to work the other way about?

Sales, income, funds and budgets..exactly what we get from our current board. Maybe remind them that we are a football club whereby supporters like to get excited, buy into a plan, can't wait to see our new signings and see some guts to take reasonable risks with the money that is available to generate some additional income.

So your initial supposition has now been confirmed by another .netter giving his own thoughts? :rolleyes:

BEEJ
20-01-2011, 01:14 PM
It was most recently discussed on this thread:

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?201834-Unique-contract-situation-could-prove-our-downfall

And I agree with you - it has been an ill-conceived plan. It has left CC with a mountain to climb in terms of motivating a squad of players the majority of whom have less and less reason to identify with the club's predicament with every week that passes.

To instil a sense of team spirit and camaraderie in that scenario is a tall order.

BEEJ
20-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Posted this on another thread yesterday..

Contracted till 2012

We have...and in no specific order "

Hart :rolleyes:
Murray
De Graff :rolleyes:
Mark Brown
Hogg :rolleyes:

Hanlon
Stevens
Wotherspoon

Booth

Taggert - I am not sure about

The rest can leave us now if another club comes in or leave for free in the summer.
Hogg's contract ends in June 2011, AFAIK.

PaulSmith
20-01-2011, 01:18 PM
So your initial supposition has now been confirmed by another .netter giving his own thoughts? :rolleyes:

No, I'm asking the poster to give his further opinion on the matter by asking him to look at it from a different angle.

Why you feel the need to be an erse about it I'm not sure, perhaps contribute rather than just trying to mix it up?

GreenCastle
20-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Hogg's contract ends in June 2011, AFAIK.

You may be right ?

I am taking my info from here - the value of players here is very wide of the mark :agree:

http://transfermarkt.de/en/hibernian-fc/kader/verein_903.html

Peevemor
20-01-2011, 01:25 PM
No, I'm asking the poster to give his further opinion on the matter by asking him to look at it from a different angle.

Why you feel the need to be an erse about it I'm not sure, perhaps contribute rather than just trying to mix it up?

I'm not mixing anything up.

Most of my 'serious' posts are based on fact, if not I make it clear that I'm stating my opinion.

I've contributed plenty over a fair period of time, it's just that some people are selective in what they choose to believe.

Speedy
20-01-2011, 01:39 PM
You may be right ?

I am taking my info from here - the value of players here is very wide of the mark :agree:

http://transfermarkt.de/en/hibernian-fc/kader/verein_903.html

It's like they've been taken from Fifa 11 :greengrin

To comment on the general concerns in this thread.

It is obviously a risk to have so many players' contracts ending at the same time but there is nothing to stop us offering them new contracts. I would suggest those who are criticising the board/yogi/whoever to stop and consider who we should be offering an extended contract to.

Unless you can suggest players out of the current bunch who will improve us 'moving forward' then it makes no sense to suggest it is a bad thing to have the freedom to let them go.

Dirkster23
20-01-2011, 01:40 PM

Maybe players (especially those down south) wont commit to a contract until they know what league we'll be in next season :dunno:

GreenPJ
20-01-2011, 01:42 PM

Whilst they don't have to wait until season tickets are sold they need to estimate how many they will sell to create the budget. The manager then needs to decide if that budget goes on 3 players or 6.

Crowds have been going down overall since Mowbray/JC left therefore they need to budget accordingly. I would hate to hazard a guess just now as to how low the season ticket figs could be for next season - could it be as low as 6/7K which would be a huge impact on budget.

I am not disputing things are wrong with the club and have been for a while, the problem is the fix is not a quick one and the best we can hope for just now is a solution that allows us to stay up and try to start to fix the problem properly in the summer.

James70
20-01-2011, 03:33 PM
We all used to laugh at how Hearts were run but the Jambos are having the last laugh.

If it was Yogi who decided to not renew any contracts rather than the Board then surely CC cannot be bound by Yogi's decision. Is it also Calderwood's belief that none of the out of contract players are good enough? I am not looking to defend any players but when virtually a whole team are facing an uncertain future what must that do to team spirit and morale?

Most if not all of these players have shown in the past that they are more than capable of playing at SPL level without reaching superstar levels. Why then are they all playing so badly now if not because of the aforementioned reason.

Do the Board not realise that relegation and a possibly long spell in the First Division is going to cost the club millions of pounds and that levels of support could fall to 5,000 or 6,000? I hate to think of it but we could even finish up going part time if we are relegated and don't get promoted within a season or two.

matty_f
20-01-2011, 03:41 PM
We all used to laugh at how Hearts were run but the Jambos are having the last laugh.

If it was Yogi who decided to not renew any contracts rather than the Board then surely CC cannot be bound by Yogi's decision. Is it also Calderwood's belief that none of the out of contract players are good enough? I am not looking to defend any players but when virtually a whole team are facing an uncertain future what must that do to team spirit and morale?

Most if not all of these players have shown in the past that they are more than capable of playing at SPL level without reaching superstar levels. Why then are they all playing so badly now if not because of the aforementioned reason.

Do the Board not realise that relegation and a possibly long spell in the First Division is going to cost the club millions of pounds and that levels of support could fall to 5,000 or 6,000? I hate to think of it but we could even finish up going part time if we are relegated and don't get promoted within a season or two.

The Yams may be laughing, but make no mistake it's not the last laugh.