PDA

View Full Version : Players' attitude - this is what they need !

Seveno
20-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Just heard a story about when Paw Broon and Archie Knox arrived at Pittodrie.

Apparently, Knox was far from pleased with the attitude of 3 of the players. He got them into his car, drove into the centre of Aberdeen and stopped outside the Job Centre. He told them to get out and said that this was where they were heading if they didn't changed their attitude. He then told them that they had 17 minutes to get back to training and left them there. They had to run back.

Exactly the sort of thing that we need down at ER.

J-C
20-01-2011, 09:11 AM

Apparently, Knox was far from pleased with the attitude of 3 of the players. He got them into his car, drove into the centre of Aberdeen and stopped outside the Job Centre. He told them to get out and said that this was where they were heading if they didn't changed their attitude. He then told them that they had 17 minutes to get back to training and left them there. They had to run back.

:top marks CC are you reading this.

johnrebus
20-01-2011, 09:12 AM

Good idea.

Not sure if even Ivan Sproule would make it from Union Street Aberdeen to Easter Road in seventeen minutes though..........,

:greengrin

Leithenhibby
20-01-2011, 09:17 AM

Nice idea, IF true :cool2:

GloryGlory
20-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Nice idea, IF true :cool2:

Except the assistant manager's car wouldn't be big enough for all the players whose attitudes need adjustment. Petrie would have to fork out to hire a couple of buses!

Skanko79
20-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Heard that too, Clough used to stop the bus on the way to the ground on match day and make the players walk the last few hundred yards through the fans, rubbed of on his players i suppose so why not?

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Heard that too, Clough used to stop the bus on the way to the ground on match day and make the players walk the last few hundred yards through the fans, rubbed of on his players i suppose so why not?

This lot should be brought in at night, their heads covered with blankets.

Deano Mourinho
20-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Derek Adams would need to drive a double decker bus to take the amount of hibs players with a bad attitude

Baker9
Great story if true and probably is. The reality for a great many of our squad is unemployment at the end of the season. The shock to the system of no longer wandering in to a fabulous facility for relatively easy and enjoyable traning and being a part of match days, but having to seek gainful employment should be enough to motivate anybody.

I hope none of those who see themeselves as 'doomed' are spiteful and want the club to do badly.

Skanko79
This lot should be brought in at night, their heads covered with blankets.

haha your not wrong there mate. :top marks

spike220
20-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Great story if true and probably is. The reality for a great many of our squad is unemployment at the end of the season. The shock to the system of no longer wandering in to a fabulous facility for relatively easy and enjoyable traning and being a part of match days, but having to seek gainful employment should be enough to motivate anybody.

I hope none of those who see themeselves as 'doomed' are spiteful and want the club to do badly.

And what if they were really spiteful? What more could they do!

Seveno
20-01-2011, 10:11 AM

Perhaps East Mains does give the impression to them that they are'stars' and dont have to work. Maybe they should be workign the Gullane dunes that Jock Wallace used to use. Interesting that the Ayr players were training hard on the beach before the Cup-tie.

Phil D. Rolls
20-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Bullying rarely has anything more than a short term impact. Mind you Knox seems to have mellowed. When he was manager of Forfar, he used to punch players coming off at half time if he felt they hadn't tried. The man is a nutter.

truehibernian
20-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Reminds me of a story about Aberdeen and Doug Rougvie in particular.

Hearts were playing at Pittodrie in the 80's and a certain Hearts player was ripping the preverbial out of Doug. Doug simply said to the player that if he cared to rip the lilian again, he would be in a wee bit of soapy. Ten minutes later, said Hearts player was stretchered off after an elbow to the face whereby he lost all his top teeth. It was also the season Hearts got relegated :greengrin

Hibernian has always lacked some real frightening players. In my opinion, a squad needs a couple, not only for a match day environment, but for training and in and around the club. It can also be cohesive.........the kind of "well if you try to injure me we will set Doug on ya" type thing. Also.......can you see the likes of Strachan, McGhee and Black telling Doug where to go if he was in their face telling them to buck up their ideas.

Hibs are a wee marshmallow of a club, always have been. They threaten to play entertaining football, yet when the game becomes a bit of a physical battle, they go into their shell.

It really is no surprise that the best, balanced, all round footballing team we had in recent times was under McLeish, where we had the likes of Mixu, Jack, O'Neill and Laursen, who as well as being footballers, could fairly get stuck in when it became a battle. Put graceful and skilful footballers around that and you have a far better chance when Plan A or B isn't working.

Sammy7nil
20-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Except the assistant manager's car wouldn't be big enough for all the players whose attitudes need adjustment. Petrie would have to fork out to hire a couple of buses!

Correct we wuld need a Double Decker bus

Speedway
20-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Yogi used to slap Daz McCormack around regularly for various things.

The rest of the players looked on and thought 'our manager's a t1t'

PapillonVert
20-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Even if Hibs have indicated that certain contracts won't be renewed, you would think:

a) that they would have at least a modicum of self-respect and professional pride and, even if they don't,

then,

b) they would have the gumption to realise that they are effectively in the shop window and they need to impress a prospective new employer enough to be offered a contract somewhere else.

Baker9
20-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Even if Hibs have indicated that certain contracts won't be renewed, you would think:

a) that they would have at least a modicum of self-respect and professional pride and, even if they don't,

then,

b) they would have the gumption to realise that they are effectively in the shop window and they need to impress a prospective new employer enough to be offered a contract somewhere else.

In the last 20 years or so I am sure that most players would have been confident of getting a contract somewhere and having a reasonable length of career. Times have changed! If I was an unexceptional footballer with an 'ordinary' Scottish club and my contract was up in the summer I would be seriously worried.

Seveno
20-01-2011, 01:27 PM
In the last 20 years or so I am sure that most players would have been confident of getting a contract somewhere and having a reasonable length of career. Times have changed! If I was an unexceptional footballer with an 'ordinary' Scottish club and my contract was up in the summer I would be seriously worried.

And the only interest shown in any Hibs players so far is Colin Nish by the Chinese ! Not so much as a rumour about any of the rest. Tells it all doesn't it ?

Hibercelona
20-01-2011, 01:33 PM
People will disagree with me. But I personally believe that the new training centre is making players soft.

Get them out in the freezing cold, onto the rough park pitches and give them a rock to kick about. :agree:

Sudds_1
20-01-2011, 01:41 PM
And the only interest shown in any Hibs players so far is Colin Nish by the Chinese ! Not so much as a rumour about any of the rest. Tells it all doesn't it ?

Certainly does.....the pandas cost £7m. Doubt we would have got nearly as much for Nish evebn on a cultural exchange basis (well, the chinese probably haven't seen living dung that tall) :greengrin

Kaiser1962
20-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Bullying rarely has anything more than a short term impact. Mind you Knox seems to have mellowed. When he was manager of Forfar, he used to punch players coming off at half time if he felt they hadn't tried. The man is a nutter.

Yip. Did he not take a pop at an assistant at a leisure centre recently and Motherwell had to apologise?

madabouthibs
20-01-2011, 05:14 PM
People will disagree with me. But I personally believe that the new training centre is making players soft.

I for one will totally agree with you, we've been pretty awful since that stupid training centre opened! I think its used as a tourist attraction. :confused:

francobaresi
20-01-2011, 06:20 PM

Is that because his name is an anagram of chinese...:offski:

Baader
20-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Mair money for nothing? Our players would go in and sign on.

frazeHFC
20-01-2011, 07:22 PM
What a great idea. :thumbsup:

ginger_rice
20-01-2011, 09:05 PM

then,

Do you not think though, that we've been like this for almost 4 years now, it appears to me anyway that things have been pretty bad, and the attitude of most of the playing staff has been at best rank rotten ever since the "player revolt"

ginger_rice
20-01-2011, 09:06 PM

Get them out in the freezing cold, onto the rough park pitches and give them a rock to kick about. :agree:

Maybe a great idea "you can get back to east mains once you win two games back to back"

SmokieJoe
20-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Yogi used to slap Daz McCormack around regularly for various things.

The rest of the players looked on and thought 'our manager's a t1t'

And now we could do with his tenacity on the picth atm

Greentinted
20-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Paul Sturrock pioneered this way back, bringing his players in 9-5 to their work. It never seemed to catch on though!

Roddy Grant and Allan Preston (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-MWUMMzuo0&feature=related) working! (Sound is a bit iffy but you get the idea)

KiddA
20-01-2011, 10:36 PM

CC would need to get a bus for the whole squad :agree: then drop everyone off. Maybe just do it with the 16 that are out of contract.