PDA

View Full Version : Do people really think our Club lie to us?

Jack
20-01-2011, 08:18 AM
What would be the reason? Everyone knows that in the long term lies will eventually catch up and you'll be found out.

There will be times when the club are silent, as they are with on-going transfers, they always have been. Why are people still surprised or see silence from the club as being a sign that nothing is happening? When they are told differently, that there is lots happening just no end result at the moment, they don’t believe it?

There will be the occasion for reasons of commercial confidentiality the club might mislead us for a short while; all companies do it to protect their interests – we do it to protect ourselves from being gazumped in the transfer market. Or would folk rather we advertised everything and lose out to the likes of Hearts, for example Black and Barr whose links with Hibs were well advertised? :confused:

Folk don’t believe we ever spend money on players. Yet the official accounts, signed by certified and independent Accountants, show a steady increase in the players budget. They would say that though wouldn’t they? :rolleyes:

OK there will also be times when the manager will make a misleading statement about team selection. What manager hasn’t? Again, why do people get upset? Do they think managers can make public statements to everyone but make other statements to club supporters that everyone else promises not to have a wee peek at? :agree:

So there are times when the club will say nothing and there will be times when they will tell little green and white lies but the long term strategy of the club has been in place for some time, reiterated in the statement yesterday, Hibs aim is to be at the upper end of the table, regularly competing in Europe and in the later stages of the domestic cups and that the board will do what it can to back the manager to make that happen? Someone pointed out 85 signings in the last 5 years.

The Club might be failing in their aim, but that’s not lying.

Anyway. How could people follow a club, like Hibs, if they thought that club was fundamentally dishonest?

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Golden Bear
20-01-2011, 08:29 AM
What would be the reason? Everyone knows that in the long term lies will eventually catch up and you'll be found out.

There will be times when the club are silent, as they are with on-going transfers, they always have been. Why are people still surprised or see silence from the club as being a sign that nothing is happening? When they are told differently, that there is lots happening just no end result at the moment, they don’t believe it?

There will be the occasion for reasons of commercial confidentiality the club might mislead us for a short while; all companies do it to protect their interests – we do it to protect ourselves from being gazumped in the transfer market. Or would folk rather we advertised everything and lose out to the likes of Hearts, for example Black and Barr whose links with Hibs were well advertised? :confused:

Folk don’t believe we ever spend money on players. Yet the official accounts, signed by certified and independent Accountants, show a steady increase in the players budget. They would say that though wouldn’t they? :rolleyes:

OK there will also be times when the manager will make a misleading statement about team selection. What manager hasn’t? Again, why do people get upset? Do they think managers can make public statements to everyone but make other statements to club supporters that everyone else promises not to have a wee peek at? :agree:

So there are times when the club will say nothing and there will be times when they will tell little green and white lies but the long term strategy of the club has been in place for some time, reiterated in the statement yesterday, Hibs aim is to be at the upper end of the table, regularly competing in Europe and in the later stages of the domestic cups and that the board will do what it can to back the manager to make that happen? Someone pointed out 85 signings in the last 5 years.

The Club might be failing in their aim, but that’s not lying.

Anyway. How could people follow a club, like Hibs, if they thought that club was fundamentally dishonest?

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

The principal fault lies squarely on the shoulders of our overpaid and under performing playing squad.

J-C
20-01-2011, 08:35 AM
The principal fault lies squarely on the shoulders of our overpaid and under performing playing squad.

Very true, I can't believe De Graaf is on £4K a week, for a guy who runs like a carthorse and passes like one, his legs are gone and his best days behind him.

Other teams in the league manage to find gems of players every season, at Hibs all we seem to be able to find are huddies and throw our money at them, it's been a while since wee unearthed a Sproule or a Murphy, still sitting here waiting for CC to announce his first signing, wondering if he ever will.:confused:

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2011, 08:47 AM
I think the club will obviously be economical with the truth, they cant tell us everything, and shouldn't.

What annoys me though, is when a manager tells us how everything is fine at east mains, and how everyone is giving their all. And he's so happy with the players. I wouldn't expect him to say differently, but i know he's lying, and it does annoy the **** out of me, so now i barely listen or read anything a manager says.

J-C
20-01-2011, 08:51 AM
I think the club will obviously be economical with the truth, they cant tell us everything, and shouldn't.

What annoys me though, is when a manager tells us how everything is fine at east mains, and how everyone is giving their all. And he's so happy with the players. I wouldn't expect him to say differently, but i know he's lying, and it does annoy the **** out of me, so now i barely listen or read anything a manager says.

It would've been good to hear CC say after the Ayr game that he was disappointed in the players and very disappointed in their standard of play and commitment to the cause but as we all know he won't say these things...diplomacy.

MrSmith
20-01-2011, 08:53 AM
What annoys me is the fact that it is always us! Stumbling blocks is the excuse we are given, players give their all...yep sure!! Players don't want to seem to come?? Why?? Its always Hibs! No heart, passion nor fight? Always Hibs. Other teams pay much less than us, get a better caliber of player who shows fight, passion and resilience - not Hibs! Why? So they don't lie?? Lets just agree that they bend the truth to suit eh!

something ain't right and they don't want to talk about it! However say it for long enough and they'll start believing it themselves!!

bawheid
20-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Very true, I can't believe De Graaf is on £4K a week, for a guy who runs like a carthorse and passes like one, his legs are gone and his best days behind him.

Other teams in the league manage to find gems of players every season, at Hibs all we seem to be able to find are huddies and throw our money at them, it's been a while since wee unearthed a Sproule or a Murphy, still sitting here waiting for CC to announce his first signing, wondering if he ever will.:confused:

I think it's time to forget about de Graaf being on £4k a week, or being a carthorse, etc. The fact is he's here and he'll be here until at least the end of the season.

We all know he's underperformed but all we seem to be doing is continually reminding each other and him of that fact. That won't get us out of the situation we find ourselves in.

J-C
20-01-2011, 09:09 AM
I think it's time to forget about de Graaf being on £4k a week, or being a carthorse, etc. The fact is he's here and he'll be here until at least the end of the season.

We all know he's underperformed but all we seem to be doing is continually reminding each other and him of that fact. That won't get us out of the situation we find ourselves in.

I was using him as an example of one of our overpaid under achieving players alluded to in the 2nd post, I could've mention tackle shy Miller, or on his erse all the time Nish, oh so low Hart, overrated Hogg, too much of a luxury Riordan, headless chicken Rankin etc etc.................you get my drift.

bawheid
20-01-2011, 09:19 AM
I was using him as an example of one of our overpaid under achieving players alluded to in the 2nd post, I could've mention tackle shy Miller, or on his erse all the time Nish, oh so low Hart, overrated Hogg, too much of a luxury Riordan, headless chicken Rankin etc etc.................you get my drift.

Yes, I do get your drift. But if we spend the next 4 months doing everything in our power to remind them of their inadequacies, we'll end up in the 1st division.

We may have to bite the bullet and support them, no matter how unpalatable that seems just now. For ours and Hibs sake, not theirs.

matty_f
20-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Yes, I do get your drift. But if we spend the next 4 months doing everything in our power to remind them of their inadequacies, we'll end up in the 1st division.

We may have to bite the bullet and support them, no matter how unpalatable that seems just now. For ours and Hibs sake, not theirs.

:agree:

Cropley10
20-01-2011, 10:33 AM
They don't lie. They tell us what they think we want to hear.

I thought Petrie's statement yesterday was dull and missed a couple of fundamental issues.

Jack
20-01-2011, 11:06 AM
They don't lie. They tell us what they think we want to hear.

I thought Petrie's statement yesterday was dull and missed a couple of fundamental issues.

I thought, within what I said above, RP said as much as he could around the fundamental stuff – the long term strategy and how they go about it.

What else did you have in mind that could have been addressed? Is what you're looking for already public knowledge that he perhaps thought he didn’t need to go over?

Having said that much of what he said was already known, and accepted – by the believers :devil: << that smilie, or maybe this one >> :agree:

PaulSmith
20-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Does the club 'lie' for what they believe are the best interests short and long term of the club, I believe they do.

The Falcon
20-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Does the club 'lie' for what they believe are the best interests short and long term of the club, I believe they do.

I dont. I dont neccessarily believe that they tell us everything thats going on, and rightly so, but to say something that they know not to be true? No.

Sammy7nil
20-01-2011, 11:28 AM
100% I think the club has lied to the fans having said that in the days on internet I dont think it will happen often they will simply refuse to answer questions.

HFC 0-7
20-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Clubs like Hibs always lie to the fans, if they didnt and told it as it was the fans wouldnt turn up. In all the years of 'transition' where the club was dealing with debt it still maintained that they would be challenging for honours etc etc, but the fact is the club knew what sort of cost cutting was going to be happening and that challenging for honours was a very tall order. If the club came out and send there is going to be massive cost cutting, we will be selling all our top players and little will be coming back for other players and that challenging for honours may be difficult, how many fans would renew season tickets etc.

Other things which is as bad as lying to the fans IMO is selling players in the summer transfer window near to season starting. This allows fans to renew their ST before being let down by top talent being sold. Not a criticism of the board from me as I would do the exactly same thing if I was running it. If the board came clean about their plans and the probable effect it would have on the playing side of things no one would renew and it would make things worse. In saying that there isnt really any excuses for out current predicament.

matty_f
20-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Clubs like Hibs always lie to the fans, if they didnt and told it as it was the fans wouldnt turn up. In all the years of 'transition' where the club was dealing with debt it still maintained that they would be challenging for honours etc etc, but the fact is the club knew what sort of cost cutting was going to be happening and that challenging for honours was a very tall order. If the club came out and send there is going to be massive cost cutting, we will be selling all our top players and little will be coming back for other players and that challenging for honours may be difficult, how many fans would renew season tickets etc.

Other things which is as bad as lying to the fans IMO is selling players in the summer transfer window near to season starting. This allows fans to renew their ST before being let down by top talent being sold. Not a criticism of the board from me as I would do the exactly same thing if I was running it. If the board came clean about their plans and the probable effect it would have on the playing side of things no one would renew and it would make things worse. In saying that there isnt really any excuses for out current predicament.

Apparently it's better to sell at the end of the window, if you do it at the start you get hammered for dropping your breeks at the first offer. :agree:

FWIW, the club were upfront throughout the Williamson years that they had to cut back on the spending, they were upfront that they needed to reduce the debt and wouldn't be spending incoming transfer fees on fees for incoming players - they have said these things and still people have turned up, and we've still managed to challenge in the top half of the table, even win some silverware in the process.

steakbake
20-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Yes, of course they do. There are "lies" and there are lies.

The club gives the account of itself which best suits it's own agenda, which is not always the same as the fans.

Interestingly, while we've all been obsessed about the yams being milked by an idiot of a director and being deluded, ours has taken the piss out of us to the point that most of us don't care.

HFC 0-7
20-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Apparently it's better to sell at the end of the window, if you do it at the start you get hammered for dropping your breeks at the first offer. :agree:

FWIW, the club were upfront throughout the Williamson years that they had to cut back on the spending, they were upfront that they needed to reduce the debt and wouldn't be spending incoming transfer fees on fees for incoming players - they have said these things and still people have turned up, and we've still managed to challenge in the top half of the table, even win some silverware in the process.

A couple of seasons ago Petrie stated that Hibs are in a great position financially and we no longer have to sell players, that IMo was a bit of a lie. He made that statement when the fans were starting to get annoyed with the best talent constantly being sold and little of that return being invested in the squad. We have a debt in the running costs each year which need to be filled with players sales. These are the types of lies I am talking about. I would do the same thing, being to honest can have a worse effect than lying as some fans simply wont accept short term pain for long term gain. Anyone that thinks the owners and boards of football clubs including our own dont tell lies are slightly deluded.

It happens all the time, dont we usually always hear from the board, 'we are 100% behind our manager, he is the man for the job' shortly before the manager is emptied.

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2011, 01:40 PM
We as fans lie to the club, we'll support you evermore. Bring Derek Riordan back, it will put thousands on the gate. I dont care how we play, as long as we win.