PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh to glasgow commute

capitals_finest
18-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Whats the cheapest way to do it?

Starting a new job through there next week and looks like i ll have to pay £19.80 every day if i m travelling by train. What a rip.:bitchy:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Citylink bus will be cheaper, check their site for prices.

DH1875
19-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Whats the cheapest way to do it?

Starting a new job through there next week and looks like i ll have to pay £19.80 every day if i m travelling by train. What a rip.:bitchy:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good news, you can buy monthly or yearly passes.
Bad news, If you travel peak times it's more than £19.80.

Sylar
19-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Just book your trains in advance - also usually works out cheaper to buy 2 singles in advance! If you're eligible for the young person railcard (up to 26 - your age isn't listed, so maybe not...), it reduces it even further.

I've started taking the train from Dundee to Aberdeen one day a week, as the price of fuel is making a nightmare to drive up and back 2 days. Works out around £15 return which includes a bus - if I were to roll up to the station on the day it's nearly £30 - as opposed to the usual circa half tank in the car!

SlickShoes
19-01-2011, 08:59 AM
I used to live and work in Edinburgh, my wife wanted to move to Glasgow as she is from here so i looked into all of this.

If your job is permanent you would want to look at a yearly rail pass, i think it works out at about £3000 a year, some places of work will pay this up front and take the money from you before tax so this makes it more like £2500 a year as you save money on your outgoings to the tax man.

The train looks like it takes 50 minutes but it wont, they are frequently delayed or run slower, you will have to travel to and from the station too so factor that in too.

My suggestion would be to move to Glasgow if the job is permanent, it sounds drastic but the money you will spend on travelling is a lot and the time it will take up is a lot, it will also make you very tired doing such a commute each day. Generally flats through here are cheaper than edinburgh and a bit bigger, so yeah id suggest moving if thats an option, if you ever need to visit edinburgh its only an hour on the train so not exactly a chore to get to to see friends and family.

.Sean.
19-01-2011, 03:34 PM
No chance your employers can't reimburse at least some of the travel fees? I mean, £100 a week on train fares? Rather you than me!

DH1875
19-01-2011, 08:15 PM
£400 a month, I'd think about moving :greengrin.

capitals_finest
20-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone. :aok:

Have looked at citylink and the fair is £9.80 if i pre book so that looks like the best option at the moment. According to their web site the journey time to buchanan st bus station in the rush hour is only 1hr 5 min so thats not too bad.

No chance of my employers subsidising it.

I used to live and work in Edinburgh, my wife wanted to move to Glasgow as she is from here so i looked into all of this.

If your job is permanent you would want to look at a yearly rail pass, i think it works out at about £3000 a year, some places of work will pay this up front and take the money from you before tax so this makes it more like £2500 a year as you save money on your outgoings to the tax man.

The train looks like it takes 50 minutes but it wont, they are frequently delayed or run slower, you will have to travel to and from the station too so factor that in too.

My suggestion would be to move to Glasgow if the job is permanent, it sounds drastic but the money you will spend on travelling is a lot and the time it will take up is a lot, it will also make you very tired doing such a commute each day. Generally flats through here are cheaper than edinburgh and a bit bigger, so yeah id suggest moving if thats an option, if you ever need to visit edinburgh its only an hour on the train so not exactly a chore to get to to see friends and family.

Cheers for your thoughts

I agree, the travel is gonna be a bloudy nightmare! I stayed in fife for a bit and crossing that bridge every day was bad enough so i m not even gonna attempt it in the car. Would move through to weeigieland in a second to save all the hassle but the GF's working through here. She is applying for jobs over there so fingers crossed.

SlickShoes
20-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks everyone. :aok:

Have looked at citylink and the fair is £9.80 if i pre book so that looks like the best option at the moment. According to their web site the journey time to buchanan st bus station in the rush hour is only 1hr 5 min so thats not too bad.

No chance of my employers subsidising it.

Cheers for your thoughts

I agree, the travel is gonna be a bloudy nightmare! I stayed in fife for a bit and crossing that bridge every day was bad enough so i m not even gonna attempt it in the car. Would move through to weeigieland in a second to save all the hassle but the GF's working through here. She is applying for jobs over there so fingers crossed.

Good luck mate, same happened to me my wife was working in Glasgow and i was still in Edinburgh so we lived apart for a bit so that we could both work with her coming back here to visit when she could.

Thing to remember with the bus is that it should make it in 1hour5mins but traffic can change at any time, i think your best bet would be to do a test run one normal week day and take it from there.

You can get an anytime train pass for £306 per month or £3188 per year from scotrail.

The bus costs are: 10 journey £36.60, Monthly £128.10, 12 weekly £366 and Yearly £1464 http://www.citylink.co.uk/seasontickets.php

If you do a trial run on the bus and it works then its definately the best way to go!

Good luck and i hope your new job pays well!

capitals_finest
20-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Good luck mate, same happened to me my wife was working in Glasgow and i was still in Edinburgh so we lived apart for a bit so that we could both work with her coming back here to visit when she could.

Thing to remember with the bus is that it should make it in 1hour5mins but traffic can change at any time, i think your best bet would be to do a test run one normal week day and take it from there.

You can get an anytime train pass for £306 per month or £3188 per year from scotrail.

The bus costs are: 10 journey £36.60, Monthly £128.10, 12 weekly £366 and Yearly £1464 http://www.citylink.co.uk/seasontickets.php

If you do a trial run on the bus and it works then its definately the best way to go!

Good luck and i hope your new job pays well!

Thanks mate.:thumbsup:

As you say i m gonna do a trial run and see how it goes, luckily the place i ll be working is fairly central so won't have to get buses etc once i get there. Reckon i ll only be able to do it for so long before i begin to loose the plot :greengrin

PiemanP
20-01-2011, 05:47 PM
annual rail pass will cost you just a bit over £3000.

unbelievable prices for what is a 50 minute journey!

hope you added a good bit onto your salary with the new job :wink: