PDA

View Full Version : It's not a money issue

bingo70
18-01-2011, 09:44 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/I-will-get-this-right.6693805.jp

"A couple of injuries happened to the two players we were talking to," said Calderwood, "and someone else got injured and that stopped a deal happening.

"It's not a money issue. We have progressed deals a little bit, so hopefully we can get something concluded. A little bit of freshening up will help. We have got to get improvement and we have to get the fans invigorated

Just thought i'd point this quote out to those having a go at the board for not spending money in case they missed it.

I know that managers have been known to talk pish but i don't think he'd lie about this and then put himself under further pressure, if it was a money issue he could have implied it and spoke of finding targets within our budget or words to that effect.

HFC 0-7
18-01-2011, 09:53 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/I-will-get-this-right.6693805.jp

Just thought i'd point this quote out to those having a go at the board for not spending money in case they missed it.

I know that managers have been known to talk pish but i don't think he'd lie about this and then put himself under further pressure, if it was a money issue he could have implied it and spoke of finding targets within our budget or words to that effect.

I would take that with a pinch of salt. CC is the type of man that will remain proffesional at all times and will certainly not have a go publicly if money was the problem as that, IMO, would lessen his chances of getting what he wants. CC knows of all the negativity around at the moment and also knows how the fans are feeling, if he let go that money was a problem there would be more 'petrie splash the cash' banners at ER.

From what I have heard is that money has been a problem at times when CC has been trying to bring players in. Dont know any of the players names but one club was wanting hibs to pay too high a chunk of the wages and the player was unwilling to take cut. The other situation I heard about was that CC didnt think the player warranted the amount of money he was asking, which IMO, is fair enough as I wouldnt want one average player using up too much of the wage budget.

bingo70
18-01-2011, 10:01 AM
I would take that with a pinch of salt. CC is the type of man that will remain proffesional at all times and will certainly not have a go publicly if money was the problem as that, IMO, would lessen his chances of getting what he wants. CC knows of all the negativity around at the moment and also knows how the fans are feeling, if he let go that money was a problem there would be more 'petrie splash the cash' banners at ER.

From what I have heard is that money has been a problem at times when CC has been trying to bring players in. Dont know any of the players names but one club was wanting hibs to pay too high a chunk of the wages and the player was unwilling to take cut. The other situation I heard about was that CC didnt think the player warranted the amount of money he was asking, which IMO, is fair enough as I wouldnt want one average player using up too much of the wage budget.

I don't think that Petrie would have lied about the budget to get CC in the door and i don't think the budget would have changed from when he discussed taking over the job.

I'm all for taking quotes from anyone within football with a pinch of salt but in this occasion i genuinely think it's got nothing to do with money, within reason obviously, im sure if we had millions to spend we could have signed someone, but we don't and i'm confident we're freeing enough money up for CC to bring in players.

I also don't think it'd look good for him professionaly to spend a transfer window saying money is not a problem then if it goes tits up to then blame a lack of money, i think he's smarter than that.

matty_f
18-01-2011, 10:05 AM

Calderwood has maintained from the word go that the budget was ' perfect'.
Loads of managers are forthright about not being able to meet wage demands of targets because fans understand (as you have shown with your reasonable comment) that clubs won't pay more than they think a player is worth, or more than they can afford.
Hibs fans know we can't realistically expect a 8k/week player, so calderwood wouldn't have had any reason to be protective about it.
Imho, people are determined (not you, btw) to paint the board as miserly, to the point where they will entirely dismiss comments from people who genuinely know the situation and what stages the deals were getting to.
Calderwood gives the reasons for the deals falling through, but rather than accepting that, folk will say it's about money. Why is that?

Craig_in_Prague
18-01-2011, 10:16 AM
So c'mon folks, find out who got injured last week and speculate who could have been wearing the famous green n white :wink:

H!BEE
18-01-2011, 03:00 PM
not a money issue,

aye right!

:na na:

Jim44
18-01-2011, 03:11 PM
So if it's not a money issue, can we assume that if we fail to improve the team by the end of the month, the fault lies with Calderwood for not finding the right players or failing to sell the club to appropriate players, but in any case, nothing to do with Petrie and the board? :dunno:

joebakerforever
18-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't think that Petrie would have lied about the budget to get CC in the door and i don't think the budget would have changed from when he discussed taking over the job.

But do you think Petrie would have mentioned that Bamba might be flogged off at the start of the January transfer window ?

In fact do you think that the transfer budget should be adjusted upwards to take account of any valuable players sold off since CC took over ?

HFC 0-7
18-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Calderwood has maintained from the word go that the budget was ' perfect'.
Loads of managers are forthright about not being able to meet wage demands of targets because fans understand (as you have shown with your reasonable comment) that clubs won't pay more than they think a player is worth, or more than they can afford.
Hibs fans know we can't realistically expect a 8k/week player, so calderwood wouldn't have had any reason to be protective about it.
Imho, people are determined (not you, btw) to paint the board as miserly, to the point where they will entirely dismiss comments from people who genuinely know the situation and what stages the deals were getting to.
Calderwood gives the reasons for the deals falling through, but rather than accepting that, folk will say it's about money. Why is that?

In regards to Calderwood stating that the budget was perfect, I am not denying he said this, however, money could still be the problem. He could think its perfect but the players he has targeted still want more money or the clubs they currently belong to, meaning the problem and stumbling blocks for some players is indeed money. On the flip side to your point regarding people determined to have a go at the board, I think there are those that are trying to hard to defend the board which makes it look like the board are throwing loads of money around trying to get players. I think its somewhere in the middle, but I think if we are to survive relegation this season, Petrie may need to re visit his budget in terms of transfer fees as I fear clubs will be holding the club to ransom because they know the situtation we are in. IMO paying a little more on a transfer fee is better than the financial hit we could take from reducing crowds this season and more importantly relegation.

IMO, Calderwood is sticking to his original plan of getting the players he wants in at a price he deems fit for the talent he is aquiring. Paying over the odds on a players wages at this stage could mean dressing room unrest and players wanting to re negotiate deals etc. CC will now have to way up the situation, he may have to stick with what we have or spend a bit more than HE wants to. Its these thankless tasks that go unseen by us fans that will be hard for any manager, not something I would want to do!

greenlex
18-01-2011, 03:14 PM
So if it's not a money issue, can we assume that if we fail to improve the team by the end of the month, the fault lies with Calderwood for not finding the right players or failing to sell the club to appropriate players, but in any case, nothing to do with Petrie and the board? :dunno:
Why would there need to be fault? Maybe the right players to progress us were not avalable. This Fault nonsense does ma napper in.

Septimus
18-01-2011, 03:20 PM
All of which simply shows that our route to success is through the youth team. It is totally naive to suggest that money is not the difference between, say, Hibs and Celtic.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Calderwood says that moneys not a problem, straight from the horses mouth. Yet Petries still a skinflint, who wont release the purse strings and let the manager sign who he wants.:confused:

Jack
18-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I’m sure I read/heard some time ago that our manager identified the players he wanted and the price he thought they were worth. Rod / the Board then went after the player / agent / club and negotiated a deal with that figure in mind. The story was kind of borne out with other stories around Darren Barr’s transfer and associated Yogi stories of that time.

If CC tells the Board he wants a player and is willing to pay upto £3k a week and the player tells Rod he wants £6k and CC chokes on his biscuit when Rod tells him this, while it’s a money issue its not an issue with the funds / budget available to CC to bring players in. Is it? :rolleyes:

I am led to believe that Yogi burst a gut, laughing, when DB told him what Hearts were offering and its only DB that’s laughing now – all the way to the bank. :faf:

ronaldo7
18-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Why would there need to be fault? Maybe the right players to progress us were not avalable. This Fault nonsense does ma napper in.

It's the blame culture which has been evident for a wee while now. We just have to get back to winning games and this culture will evaporate.

Mon the Hibs:flag:

EskbankHibby
18-01-2011, 03:47 PM
We are playing poorly and need an influx of new players to kick start the season, battlers who can pass a ball preferably, Calderwood says money is no issue which means -

A) He has not identified the correct player(s) yet or
B) He has and for whatever reason (? injury as stated) the players have not came

The time for going radge is not yet at hand imo, if February 1st arrives and we have not added quality to the team then we are in deep sheite.

Kaiser1962
18-01-2011, 03:58 PM
This is my understanding of how we operate by identifying and then go about signing them, and of events surrounding the Darren Barr transfer.

Will not suit some viewpoints however. :rolleyes:

I’m sure I read/heard some time ago that our manager identified the players he wanted and the price he thought they were worth. Rod / the Board then went after the player / agent / club and negotiated a deal with that figure in mind. The story was kind of borne out with other stories around Darren Barr’s transfer and associated Yogi stories of that time.

If CC tells the Board he wants a player and is willing to pay upto £3k a week and the player tells Rod he wants £6k and CC chokes on his biscuit when Rod tells him this, while it’s a money issue its not an issue with the funds / budget available to CC to bring players in. Is it? :rolleyes:

I am led to believe that Yogi burst a gut, laughing, when DB told him what Hearts were offering and its only DB that’s laughing now – all the way to the bank. :faf:

Houchy
18-01-2011, 04:03 PM
So c'mon folks, find out who got injured last week and speculate who could have been wearing the famous green n white :wink:

Lewis Stevenson??? Was he about to be offered a new contract but then got injured so the offer has been withdrawn:greengrin

Andy74
18-01-2011, 04:05 PM
But do you think Petrie would have mentioned that Bamba might be flogged off at the start of the January transfer window ?

In fact do you think that the transfer budget should be adjusted upwards to take account of any valuable players sold off since CC took over ?

Yes, Petrie would have mentioned Bamab's situation, and yes, Calderwood will have Bamba's wages to spend.

What would you suggest the answers are?

Kaiser1962
18-01-2011, 04:12 PM
I dont know Calderwood but he does not strike me as a guy who would take kindly to being lied to or misled, as some are suggesting, over either the job in hand or the resources that are available to him.

Had this happened I am sure he would have told them to stuff it, and rightly so.

As far as I am aware he is highly regarded at EM and there is no doubt who is in charge.

BEEJ
18-01-2011, 04:51 PM

In general, I agree with you. But in the scenario described (which I'm taking to mean no new players this window) someone would have to be culpable. It's not as if there are only a handful of players out there on the fringes of other UK squads and within our budget who could possibly bring improvement to our squad.

I don't believe for a moment that the scenario is a realistic one; we will bring in one or two new players before the end of the month. I'd go as far as to say that not to do so would be unthinkable.

bingo70
18-01-2011, 04:57 PM

I agree with Greenlex in that i can't be doing with this blame culture but to answer your question, IMO yes, i back Calderwood to get it right but if he fails because he's not been able to bring players in then that's his fault, a huge part of this job is going to be determined by how he does in the transfer market.

--------
18-01-2011, 04:59 PM
In general, I agree with you. But in the scenario described (which I'm taking to mean no new players this window) someone would have to be culpable. It's not as if there are only a handful of players out there on the fringes of other UK squads and within our budget who could possibly bring improvement to our squad.

I don't believe for a moment that the scenario is a realistic one; we will bring in one or two new players before the end of the month. I'd go as far as to say that not to do so would be unthinkable.

Not to do so will be unpardonable, IMO, BEEJ.

League reconstruction's now being discussed along the lines of 10+10 in a 2-tier SPL, and unless there's a major improvement in performances, Hibs will be in the lower tier if the change takes place in time for next season.

matty_f
18-01-2011, 04:59 PM

:agree:

Andy74
18-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Not to do so will be unpardonable, IMO, BEEJ.

League reconstruction's now being discussed along the lines of 10+10 in a 2-tier SPL, and unless there's a major improvement in performances, Hibs will be in the lower tier if the change takes place in time for next season.

It won't be done at the end of this season.

Kaiser1962
18-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I agree with Greenlex in that i can't be doing with this blame culture but to answer your question, IMO yes, i back Calderwood to get it right but if he fails because he's not been able to bring players in then that's his fault, a huge part of this job is going to be determined by how he does in the transfer market.

In a purely hypothetical scenario.

We bid money for Adam Rooney, to bring him here this window, and ICT accept this bid. Rooney's agent then says to his client that he has six months of his contract to run and if he waits till the summer he, not the club, would get a vast proportion of the sum Hibs, or AN Other was willing to pay.

Alternatively he gambles and sits tight and waits for a better offer personally, which, if he continues to bang in the goals, will come.

BEEJ
18-01-2011, 06:45 PM
In a purely hypothetical scenario.

We bid money for Adam Rooney, to bring him here this window, and ICT accept this bid. Rooney's agent then says to his client that he has six months of his contract to run and if he waits till the summer he, not the club, would get a vast proportion of the sum Hibs, or AN Other was willing to pay.

Alternatively he gambles and sits tight and waits for a better offer personally, which, if he continues to bang in the goals, will come.
That's why managers create lists of targets. It's called 'contingency planning'. Hibs Managers have been well used to working there way down these before.

Unless we're expected to believe that we are just spectacularly unlucky this window and unforeseen obstacles / setbacks crop up for, say, 6 - 8 potential targets in each of three different key positions ........ then there is no excuse for there not to be new and better players at ER by 31 January.

matty_f
18-01-2011, 06:48 PM
That's why managers create lists of targets. It's called 'contingency planning'. Hibs Managers have been well used to working there way down these before.

Unless we're expected to believe that we are just spectacularly unlucky this window and unforeseen obstacles / setbacks crop up for, say, 6 - 8 potential targets in each of three different key positions ........ then there is no excuse for there not to be new and better players at ER by 31 January.

:agree: We would need to have had monumental bad luck if we didn't manage to get someone in, the only other reason that I could think of would be that the first choice players definitely would be available at the end of the season and CC wanted to wait til then, however if that was the case I'd be looking for a loan signing or two at least to cover til then.

joebakerforever
19-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Yes, Petrie would have mentioned Bamab's situation, and yes, Calderwood will have Bamba's wages to spend.

What would you suggest the answers are?

How about the giving Manager the transfer fee as well.

Perhaps if Bamba's transfer fee had been used immediately on a suitable replacement, we might have avoided the marshmallow defending that led to our merited exit from the Cup at the hands of the mighty Second Division leaders tonight.