PDA

View Full Version : Scunthorpe agree fee for Connor Sammon

Winston Ingram
16-01-2011, 09:09 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_6665480,00.html

Looks like they have lost Bryson through injury for a while and now looks like Sammon is away.

Mikey
16-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Therein lies one of the major problems that Scottish football faces.

They're getting crowds of around 5,000 for home games but can afford to pay a decent amount for him (I'm pretty sure they had a bid of £450k turned down recently) and no doubt pay him more than most SPL clubs could too.

The SKY money that filters through the lower leagues in England is slowly but surely killing Scottish football.

marinello59
16-01-2011, 09:29 AM

They're getting crowds of around 5,000 for home games but can afford to pay a decent amount for him (I'm pretty sure they had a bid of £450k turned down recently) and no doubt pay him more than most SPL clubs could too.

The SKY money that filters through the lower leagues in England is slowly but surely killing Scottish football.

Colin Calderwood is up against that harsh reality now. Even mediocre players are pricing themselves out of most SPL clubs budgets.

Winston Ingram
16-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Wouldn't be surprised if it was just £500k

Mikey
16-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Just?

The Falcon
16-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Colin Calderwood is up against that harsh reality now. Even mediocre players are pricing themselves out of most SPL clubs budgets.

Yip. Sammon, up until this year, had only scored twice in the league my Killie pal tells me.

Cropley10
16-01-2011, 10:39 AM

Very true - and it must be a very harsh reality to deal with.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-01-2011, 10:48 AM
you can just see him and Jonesy up for Right Said Fred on the karaoke at club nights oot.

greenginger
16-01-2011, 05:35 PM

It is not just Sky TV money. There must be a huge wad of BBC license fee money supporting English Football.
An hour plus highlights of the premier league every Saturday and Sunday, followed by Championship highlights, and of course wall to wall coverage of the FA cup.
Nearly every England International,under 21, friendlly ,etc live on the BBC. Even the English women's team is covered.

Scottish football on the other hand is virtually ignored apart from a pathetic highlights show at about midnight on Monday nights.

I know that Scotland only contributes about 10% of the total license fee for the BBC but I'd guess only about 2% of the BBC football budget is spent on Scottish Football.

Are there any hard financial stats available? and why does Scottish Football not fight for a fair deal from the BBC instead of endless arguments on how to slice the tiny cake we have been given.

db03
18-01-2011, 05:37 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6671975,00.html

Turned Scunthorpe down, maybe waiting on us making a move :duck: