PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray Writer.

just_joe
10-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Is there such a thing? Was hoping to buy one of these and download movies and put them on discs to play them on PS3 in blu ray quality. Any help would be much appreciated :greengrin

Speedy
10-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Is there such a thing? Was hoping to buy one of these and download movies and put them on discs to play them on PS3 in blu ray quality. Any help would be much appreciated :greengrin

I have no idea if there is such a thing. If there was I'd imagine it would be very expensive.

However, you can put movies on a hard drive/pen drive (format FAT32) and play them on the PS3 directly from that. You can also copy stuff onto the PS3 hard drive, what size hard drive have u got on the ps3?

I've got about 150gb of movies and tv programmes on mine, it's brilliant.

just_joe
10-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Not sure what size of hard drive on PS3 but its the newer model. Would love to be able to download blu ray movies and watch in blu ray format on PS3 I have a usb flash drive that I could use to transfer from PC to PS3.

Speedy
10-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Not sure what size of hard drive on PS3 but its the newer model. Would love to be able to download blu ray movies and watch in blu ray format on PS3 I have a usb flash drive that I could use to transfer from PC to PS3.

If it's the slim model then the hard drive will be at least 120gb so you should have a fair bit of space to store movies on it.

That should do the trick, the flash drive will probably need to be at least 2gb to hold blu-ray standard movies. As I said you can play it directly from that, or copy it and store it on the PS3. It needs to be FAT32 format for the PS3 to read it. I am not 100% sure but I think it is pretty standard that flash drives are set to that format. Should be a lot cheaper and easier than burning discs.

P.S. I just checked, you can get blu-ray burners but the discs are expensive.

just_joe
10-01-2011, 11:16 PM
If it's the slim model then the hard drive will be at least 120gb so you should have a fair bit of space to store movies on it.

That should do the trick, the flash drive will probably need to be at least 2gb to hold blu-ray standard movies. As I said you can play it directly from that, or copy it and store it on the PS3. It needs to be FAT32 format for the PS3 to read it. I am not 100% sure but I think it is pretty standard that flash drives are set to that format. Should be a lot cheaper and easier than burning discs.

P.S. I just checked, you can get blu-ray burners but the discs are expensive.

My flash drive is 16gb so thats not a problem. You think transferring movies from that direct to ps3 will just be the same kinda quality as what burning with blu ray writer would do ?

Speedy
10-01-2011, 11:20 PM
My flash drive is 16gb so thats not a problem. You think transferring movies from that direct to ps3 will just be the same kinda quality as what burning with blu ray writer would do ?

I would say so. I'm not an expert but I would have thought that it was just down to the file you downloaded rather than where you are playing it from. Blu-ray's are only better quality than DVDs because they are capable of storing a larger(higher definition) file as far as I am aware.

just_joe
10-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the help bud ill do that. :thumbsup:

Speedy
10-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I've just been having a look on a torrent site. It seems some blu ray rips tend to be about 8gb. That's a bit bigger than I thought.

I'd give it a bash with the flash drive but you might not be able to store that many on your ps3.

just_joe
10-01-2011, 11:30 PM
What you think the best torrent site is to use?

degenerated
11-01-2011, 06:37 PM

like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BD-5730S-Internal-Slimline-Blu-Ray/dp/B002XZM1L6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294774563&sr=8-1

SlickShoes
13-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Blu Ray RW drives have been around for a while now and are pretty affordable.

See here for some examples:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/opticaldrives/bluray/lg/bh10ls30.auau.html

Speedy
13-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Blu Ray RW drives have been around for a while now and are pretty affordable.

See here for some examples:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/opticaldrives/bluray/lg/bh10ls30.auau.html

The discs are still pretty expensive though are they not?

degenerated
13-01-2011, 05:08 PM
The discs are still pretty expensive though are they not?

compared to blank dvd then yes, but you can still get a pack of 10 for less than a tenner

http://www.totalblankmedia.com/aone-bdr25gb-4x-10-spindle-printable-p-2579.html

just_joe
13-01-2011, 06:26 PM
phoned up a few shops and the guy said that even though you can download blu ray rips and burn them they still may not be blu ray quality? if that's the case then what's the point in buying one.