PDA

View Full Version : Sharm El Sheikh - Naama Bay

woodythehibee
07-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Has anybody been here?

I'm very close to booking but just looking for some opinions before I go for it as some reviews cannot be trusted online.

I've heard some say it's amazing and have doen day trips to Cairo and stuff like that but someone told me it's very religious and full of poverty so cannot really go for walks around and stuff.

Good/bad reviews are very welcome :agree:

cheers

Calvin
07-01-2011, 06:18 PM
If you want a top notch all inclusive holiday with great weather and snorkelling, without ever leaving your hotel resort - 10/10.

If you want anything more, then it's terrible. I was bored stiff for 12 of the 14 days. Sharm is not a city, it's a farce of a place constructed purely for tourism. There is no historical or cultural scene there.

I thought the trip to Cairo was really good though, I'd recommend that. We flew up to Cairo, went to the Muhammad Ali Mosque, the Pyramids at Giza and the Museum which was brilliant. There isn't really time to walk about.

If you do want to go, we stayed at the Reef Oasis Blue Bay and it was absolutely brilliant. Great and varied food and very good facilities.

woodythehibee
07-01-2011, 06:26 PM
If you want a top notch all inclusive holiday with great weather and snorkelling, without ever leaving your hotel resort - 10/10.

If you want anything more, then it's terrible. I was bored stiff for 12 of the 14 days. Sharm is not a city, it's a farce of a place constructed purely for tourism. There is no historical or cultural scene there.

I thought the trip to Cairo was really good though, I'd recommend that. We flew up to Cairo, went to the Muhammad Ali Mosque, the Pyramids at Giza and the Museum which was brilliant. There isn't really time to walk about.

If you do want to go, we stayed at the Reef Oasis Blue Bay and it was absolutely brilliant. Great and varied food and very good facilities.

cheers, which area of Sharm where you in? The brochures suggest that Naama Bay is the main place for bars, clubs, restaurants and shopping etc..

I seen a trip to Cairo today for £125. It's a 19 hour activity!! picked up from hotel to airport, get a flight to cairo, then visit the pyramids and museums. seems decent value :agree:

Did you go on any other trips? and what did you make of the prices for stuff over there?

Calvin
07-01-2011, 06:34 PM
cheers, which area of Sharm where you in? The brochures suggest that Naama Bay is the main place for bars, clubs, restaurants and shopping etc..

I seen a trip to Cairo today for £125. It's a 19 hour activity!! picked up from hotel to airport, get a flight to cairo, then visit the pyramids and museums. seems decent value :agree:

Did you go on any other trips? and what did you make of the prices for stuff over there?

Yeah, Pacha etc. are there and were okay but two or three nights out in Naama were all it took before it became a bit stale. To be fair, nearly all the places are All Inclusive so we didn't go into the town that often as the lager and cocktails they had at the hotel were top notch so there was no point paying the bar prices for things. Pricewise the bars were only marginally cheaper than Edinburgh. In most cities I find that there are expensive tourist bars bar if you get into the side streets you can find where the locals drink and do things quite cheaply. I didn't find much of that over there though.

Make sure you do haggle in the shops though. My Dad was over with us and paid nigh on a tenner for 3 bags of crisps and a bottle of juice. His own fault though, what an idiot, but I did feel that most vendors would try and rip you off if they could which is a shame.

£125 for the Cairo trip seems okay, it's well worth it. We did the two day diving course as well which was good but I didn't take to well to it and didn't complete it (:hahaha:) but the other folk I was with really enjoyed it. I wasn't too devastated though as the aquatic life just at the beach and off the piers was phenomenal for snorkelling, really breathtaking.

HH81
08-01-2011, 06:34 AM
I have been a couple of times. I stayed all inclusive both times and it was great. Food is sometimes average but if your looking for sun and a chilling holiday then go for it. Get a good hotel though with entertainment and look into to check if the food is ok.

deeks01
08-01-2011, 07:47 AM
was great... whilst in the hotel , the first time i left it we walked past about 50 construction sites before reaching the shops and getting hassled , one guy even tried to physically drag me into his shop , anyway 2nd time we left i went to the shop where i had to haggle down from about 8gbp for a bottle of water and some chewing gum which was then stolen by a small boy the moment i left the shop he then dived on a camel wae his pal and buggered off!

Did not like it at all and wouldn't go back felt the general poverty made the people all a bit pushy for money , the cleaner even stole milk and fags from our room.

However in general the hotel was nice and if you do go you need to go snorkelling at ras muhammed , absolutely breathtaking! :agree:

grantonhibee
08-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Stayed at the ritz carlton , cost me 15 quid for a sun and a magazine for the missus , take hand cleansing gel with you and always sanitize hands after handling the money , it is full of germs and egyptian men hide notes down there groin region so it stinks a bit lol , apart from that weather is great , stick to franchise eateries , had food poisoning for 3 days after eating at pomodoro italian in naama bay, and if u have seen the news recently there have been 5 shark attacks 1 being fatal so if snorkelling its at your own risk. Was very exciting to be honest was bored after 3 days , i personally wouldnt go back but a holiday is what you make it , you do get hassled a lot with guys with teeth like sugar puffs , especially when getting taxi's , a swift no thanks usually does it.