PDA

View Full Version : Will wee see any new signings this week.

silverhibee
02-01-2011, 09:57 PM
What are peoples thoughts on this, will CC delve in to the transfer market this week and try to bring a couple of new face's to the club this week, wee do need new players and to get them in early would hopefully be a good thing for Hibs and the team, and maybe give the fans a wee lift having new players at ER.

Or will it be a case of getting players if available at the end of the window.

I have every faith in CC turning things around at Hibs if he can get some of his own targets in to the club this window.

fyfey
02-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Im hoping he doesnt panic buy and add to the crap we already have! I think CC will get a few loan signings in this window, and possibly look to sign players in the summer

BEEJ
02-01-2011, 10:08 PM
If the club acts properly, CC's key signings in this window (even any six month loan deals) will be finalised and announced this week.

We have what is effectively a six-pointer against Hamilton on the 18th and another against St Mirren during the first week of February.

Last minute budget deals struck on 31 January or thereafter should be kept to the absolute minimum.

IWasThere2016
02-01-2011, 10:08 PM
We need newblood asap. I'm not convinced two is enough - I think we need 4 personally and that's assuming none of the decent (eg Deeks, Zooma, Broon) first team players go!

IWasThere2016
02-01-2011, 10:09 PM
If the club acts properly, CC's key signings in this window (even any six month loan deals) will be finalised and announced this week.

We have what is effectively a six-pointer against Hamilton on the 18th and another against St Mirren during the first week of February.

Last minute budget deals struck on 31 January or thereafter should be kept to the absolute minimum.

:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
02-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Spot on IMO. None of the usual piss-farting about with trialists after the window shuts this time.

matty_f
02-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Spot on IMO. None of the usual piss-farting about with trialists after the window shuts this time.

Agree with everyone on this one, if we can get folk in early we should. We need improvement asap, this month is a tough one as it is (think we've got both the OF, Utd, Motherwell, and Hamilton), the quicker we get better, the better.:agree:

IWasThere2016
02-01-2011, 10:18 PM

:agree: This is the time for action! We delay at our peril.

matty_f
02-01-2011, 10:20 PM

:faf: Am I the only one that read this in the Cholmley-Warner style voice, imagining WW2 bombers flying overhead?

muirhousehibby
02-01-2011, 10:28 PM

:top marks if only eh!

If this happens it'll be a bloody first. thats for sure!

ScottB
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Just because we may want players this week doesn't mean we will get them this week.

What if CC identifies a player who he hopes will do a job for us, but the selling club delays till later in the month? Should we abandon him and go for a panic option to try and fulfill this need to get players asap?

I don't care if they arrive tomorrow or a minute to midnight on January 31st, as long as they are the right players and make the team better.

The overwhelming majority of January buys are done near the end of the month for all clubs for a reason, not just us.

Jack
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
5 new faces I think,

Danderhall Hibs
02-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Just because we may want players this week doesn't mean we will get them this week.

What if CC identifies a player who he hopes will do a job for us, but the selling club delays till later in the month? Should we abandon him and go for a panic option to try and fulfill this need to get players asap?

I don't care if they arrive tomorrow or a minute to midnight on January 31st, as long as they are the right players and make the team better.

The overwhelming majority of January buys are done near the end of the month for all clubs for a reason, not just us.

There's not much buying gets done in January anyway - loan deals could be done quickly though.

Saorsa
02-01-2011, 10:39 PM

Last minute budget deals struck on 31 January or thereafter should be kept to the absolute minimum.:agree:

BEEJ
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM

Circumstances dictate that a greater urgency is required this time around. If that means that RP does not have a few weeks to negotiate the finer details of the player Ts & Cs, then so be it.

That's what should happen, IMHO. We'll see what unfolds. :I'm waiti

IWasThere2016
02-01-2011, 10:46 PM
:faf: Am I the only one that read this in the Cholmley-Warner style voice, imagining WW2 bombers flying overhead?

I smell p-i-s-h :greengrin

Hibercelona
02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
We need a new squad of players.

So I predict we will sign a 50 quid player from Clyde. :rolleyes:

matty_f
02-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I talk p-i-s-h :greengrin

:greengrin

IWasThere2016
02-01-2011, 10:56 PM

:greengrin

Stop hi-jacking you! :grr:

ScottB
02-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Circumstances dictate that a greater urgency is required this time around. If that means that RP does not have a few weeks to negotiate the finer details of the player Ts & Cs, then so be it.

Again your seeing it from our end, many clubs don't want to sell till they get their own replacements in, or leave it till the last minute in the hope of getting more cash.

justlikebrazil
02-01-2011, 11:05 PM
leigh griffiths before he is cup tied would be good!!! i believe we are working very hard for this!! :wink:

McIntosh
02-01-2011, 11:14 PM

:top marksQuoted for Truth

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Its time to hold our nerve, we have enough to stay up. Zemamma and Duffy are like 2 new signings. Perhaps a couple of loans to see us through to the summer, where the major surgery can be done then.

The last thing we need now is more dross filling up the shirts, dont panic CC.

matty_f
02-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Its time to hold our nerve, we have enough to stay up. Zemamma and Duffy are like 2 new signings. Perhaps a couple of loans to see us through to the summer, where the major surgery can be done then.

:agree: Don't want to see us signing folk for the sake of signing, but I'd like to think that CC has his eye on, and has the capacity to sign, one or two quality players now.

Franck is God
03-01-2011, 12:00 AM
CC has had enough time to identify the the problem areas and where we need to add players. I doubt anyone coming in will be a squad player, they need to be good enough to walk straight in and make a difference otherwise there is no point in the signing.

Can't see him bringing in another centre half as he has Dickoh, Hanlon, Hogg, Thicot and Murray that can all cover the two positions however full backs are a different story, I think if he could find a good available left and right backs they'll be in.

We need a very dominant centre midfielder that can win and hold the ball comfortably and allow the likes of Miller, Zemmama, Wotherspoon & Galbraith be a bit more creative.

I also think he will be looking for a target man, Trakys isn't mobile enough to run the line or strong enough to do what Kyle did on Saturday and neither is Nish. Riordan may be able to play off this type of player but Duffy certainly can.

I remember the first thing McLeish did when he arrived was bring in Skinner and Brebner as up until that point Duffy had felt that a midfield was optional, that is the kind of influential signing I think we need and we need it now not at the end of the month.

matty_f
03-01-2011, 12:04 AM
CC has had enough time to identify the the problem areas and where we need to add players. I doubt anyone coming in will be a squad player, they need to be good enough to walk straight in and make a difference otherwise there is no point in the signing.

Can't see him bringing in another centre half as he has Dickoh, Hanlon, Hogg, Thicot and Murray that can all cover the two positions however full backs are a different story, I think if he could find a good available left and right backs they'll be in.

We need a very dominant centre midfielder that can win and hold the ball comfortably and allow the likes of Miller, Zemmama, Wotherspoon & Galbraith be a bit more creative.

I also think he will be looking for a target man, Trakys isn't mobile enough to run the line or strong enough to do what Kyle did on Saturday and neither is Nish. Riordan may be able to play off this type of player but Duffy certainly can.

I remember the first thing McLeish did when he arrived was bring in Skinner and Brebner as up until that point Duffy had felt that a midfield was optional, that is the kind of influential signing I think we need and we need it now not at the end of the month.

I think we'll see Booth utilised at left back, which is no bad thing, and I think we'll see Hart remain at right back, if for no other reason than he's on a good contract and it'll cost us to empty him.

Agree with the rest, though.

Franck is God
03-01-2011, 12:16 AM
I think we'll see Booth utilised at left back, which is no bad thing, and I think we'll see Hart remain at right back, if for no other reason than he's on a good contract and it'll cost us to empty him.

Agree with the rest, though.

I hope Booth gets some games between now and the end of the season but he is a long term prospect as opposed to a short term solution and his form is likely to be very up and down mainly down to a lack of experience and the Hibs fans of late have not been particularly patient with players.

We might even see movement by the weekend, hope so anyway.

CRAZYHIBBY
03-01-2011, 12:25 AM
irish lad boaby boaberts will be signing this week

SmokieJoe
03-01-2011, 04:41 AM
In all seriousness, do you think that he was employed on the offchance he just might bring in some class?

He was hired to furnish our ranks with Epl reserves and Champoinship fringe players, the man pretty much eluded to that from almost the start of his stint in the hotseat.

Michael Owen not getting a game at Old Trafford? :taxi

Aiming to high i know, but think about the player base he has knowledge of.....

WeAreHibs
03-01-2011, 05:36 AM
leigh griffiths before he is cup tied would be good!!! i believe we are working very hard for this!! :wink:

I've been told by a source at Dens this this WILL NOT happen and he's going down south, sadly.

Kaiser1962
03-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Michael Owen? He would have lasted about 90 seconds at swiney on Saturday. Might never have walked again.

Agree with TQM and Beej on this though. Think we need a couple of yard dug style players who have been round the block a few times, who wont be bullied and would kick their own mother up in the air if she was getting away. Make us tougher for the fight that is coming and would let Zouma, Deeks and co do what they're good at. I think we have some decent players but we are nowhere near a team. We tried to get stuck in on Saturday, and the guys "gave it a right good go", but it was a bit like watching the vicar starting a fight. It just didnt feel right. We need to be meaner.

In all seriousness, do you think that he was employed on the offchance he just might bring in some class?

He was hired to furnish our ranks with Epl reserves and Champoinship fringe players, the man pretty much eluded to that from almost the start of his stint in the hotseat.

George Clooney
03-01-2011, 06:46 AM
There are a couple of Newcastle Youth/Reserve players coming this week on loan til May.

stokesmessiah
03-01-2011, 07:01 AM
There are a couple of Newcastle Youth/Reserve players coming this week on loan til May.

Really not convinced that is going to happen now.

Hamish
03-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Michael Owen? He would have lasted about 90 seconds at swiney on Saturday. Might never have walked again.

Agree with TQM and Beej on this though. Think we need a couple of yard dug style players who have been round the block a few times, who wont be bullied and would kick their own mother up in the air if she was getting away. Make us tougher for the fight that is coming and would let Zouma, Deeks and co do what they're good at. I think we have some decent players but we are nowhere near a team. We tried to get stuck in on Saturday, and the guys "gave it a right good go", but it was a bit like watching the vicar starting a fight. It just didnt feel right. We need to be meaner.

Correct. Maybe should have a team head shave

oregonhibby
03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Huge centre back and a couple of rough tough 6ft plus midfielders typical of a championship side and a right back who has more than one gear personally.

Dashing Bob S
03-01-2011, 07:59 AM

I suppose we've just visited Tynecastle.

Judas Iscariot
03-01-2011, 08:00 AM
we need a new squad of players.

So i predict we will sign a 50 quid player from clyde. :rolleyes:

ltyf

500miles
03-01-2011, 08:01 AM
A midfielder that can find space, a range of passing and a bit of creativity, and a forward that gets in the oppositions faces. Hart is having a shocker at the moment, so a right back with a bit of pace wouldn't go amiss.

MontrealHibs
03-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Hart is on poor form. I'd recall McCann.

We need a burly centre half (somebody like Danny ****tu) and a hard tackling midfield player as Murray has also been pretty shady this season (when fit).

We will end up with that tiny lad Gardyne from Ross County :-)

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-01-2011, 08:19 AM
If there any boys playing in scotland that we want, that have not already played in the Scottish Cup, would we not need to sign them before next week so that they are not cup-tied? CC and the board have a lot of dross to get shot of. Don't want to see more dross coming in. If we could get back to Bristol Rovers and make a permanent deal for Duffy that would be good news.

Green_one
03-01-2011, 08:24 AM
:top marks if only eh!

If this happens it'll be a bloody first. thats for sure!

:agree: Like you, I expect to be disappointed.

They will need to sign someone if only for appearances sake but in reality they should be looking at pre-seasons signatures and getting at least two real improvements in. We need to remember that Bamba is on his way out.

Otherwise we are wishing on Zemamma (injured again within a month probably) and the unknown Duffy. Neither of which are going to fix our defence. :rolleyes:

1875 NO 1
03-01-2011, 08:26 AM

not true.

If you are pro active and have ambition you get players in on the 1st.

The BS you get from Petrie is it his hard to do business.

Leicester managed it.

1875 NO 1
03-01-2011, 08:28 AM

deals should have been organised weeks ago. Anybody can see what needs fixed.

down-the-slope
03-01-2011, 08:46 AM

:greengrin nope...Pathe News reel voice over stuff

hibsbollah
03-01-2011, 08:47 AM
David Healy is coming. Believe:cool2:

Niffy
03-01-2011, 10:30 AM
It's David Blane we need.

Kaiser1962
03-01-2011, 10:32 AM

At least he's over six foot.

down-the-slope
03-01-2011, 10:37 AM

He would fit in just great with what we have - he can disappear in front of a big crowd :rolleyes:

CraigK
03-01-2011, 10:56 AM
If we could get back to Bristol Rovers and make a permanent deal for Duffy that would be good news.

We dont need to - his loan is until the end of the season with no recall clause and, by then, his contract with Rovers will have expired.

Albion Hibs
03-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Agree. We may want plenty of new players for whatever reason, but I think we may get the benefit of one - namely to replace Bamba, but the board I think will still have the view that we cant bring in without letting go / getting rid of others.

On that basis can see us getting a big CH in and a right sided player who can play at full back as CC is obviously doubting Hart. So in the order of two players.

I think getting players like Duffy and Zemamma back will be like having two new signings, for departments that we are struggling in. These coupled with maybe Byrne and Hopefully Booth stepping up should give us a team that is more than capable of pulling ourselves up the table.

McIntosh
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if that did happen.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2011, 11:53 AM

What age is he now?

I was watching the Northern Ireland v Faroes game in Belfast and Healy was dropped. A few guys in the pub were saying he was past it, legs had gone, too old etc but i honestly didn't think he was all that old.

RickyS
03-01-2011, 11:54 AM

is he not on loan somewhere till the end of the season?

Wotherspiniesta
03-01-2011, 12:00 PM
What age is he now?

I was watching the Northern Ireland v Faroes game in Belfast and Healy was dropped. A few guys in the pub were saying he was past it, legs had gone, too old etc but i honestly didn't think he was all that old.

He's 31.

May not be as quick as he once was, but he'd score for fun up here IMO.

McIntosh
03-01-2011, 12:17 PM
He's 31.

May not be as quick as he once was, but he'd score for fun up here IMO.

Agreed would be a very useful addition.

Betty Boop
03-01-2011, 12:46 PM
is he not on loan somewhere till the end of the season?

Doncaster.

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-01-2011, 12:48 PM
is he not on loan somewhere till the end of the season?He's on loan to Doncaster which ends tomorrow.

Keith_M
03-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Its time to hold our nerve, we have enough to stay up.

I wish I had your confidence. I think there's every danger we could go down with the current lot.

Although, I used to think we had the best squad of players outside the Old Firm....

ScottB
03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
not true.

If you are pro active and have ambition you get players in on the 1st.

The BS you get from Petrie is it his hard to do business.

Leicester managed it.

So that will be why the vast majority of January deals go through in the last few days of the month then? Or is this 'Petrie's BS' permeating all the clubs in Britain aye?

The Voice Of Reason
03-01-2011, 02:21 PM
What age is he now?

Oh well, we are a certainty to sign him then.........lets not even watch him play, old video footage will do - De Graaf anyone ?!?

matty_f
03-01-2011, 02:43 PM
So that will be why the vast majority of January deals go through in the last few days of the month then? Or is this 'Petrie's BS' permeating all the clubs in Britain aye?

Sure there was a window where we conducted business very early (Smith signing announced just after midnight when the window opened), and folk were left feeling flat when there wasn't any last day business.:agree:

Cocaine&Caviar
03-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Is that Denneboom chap fit yet?

ScottB
03-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Sure there was a window where we conducted business very early (Smith signing announced just after midnight when the window opened), and folk were left feeling flat when there wasn't any last day business.:agree:

Nobody round here is ever happy :agree:

aberhibsfc
03-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Hart is on poor form. I'd recall McCann.

We need a burly centre half (somebody like Danny ****tu) and a hard tackling midfield player as Murray has also been pretty shady this season (when fit).

We will end up with that tiny lad Gardyne from Ross County :-)

Hart's not done yet but he's well off form. McCann's been doing not too shabily at Inverness and the 1st team experience will have been of benefit.

Could do with these two pushing each other for places.

One of the worst things we done in the summer, other than selling a striker on the last day (which given the information since proved correct but not on the last day) we needed time to find cover, made worse by letting go Benji and sending Byrne on loan. There have been a lot of mistakes made this summer and we have paid dear.

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2011, 04:06 PM

That was just last year wasn't it? What a long year!

Did we sign anyone else? I think we were linked with Anderson and Hart but none of them came in, leaving us short for the rest of the season to help guide us from pushing for 2rd to challenging for 4th.

DAVE1875
03-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Probably going to get ripped for this but, would anyone like to see Danny Swanson play for Hibs? He's out of favour at ****dee United, having being blamed by Houghston for it all going t*ts up for them in the 2-2 draw with us.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Probably going to get ripped for this but, would anyone like to see Danny Swanson play for Hibs? He's out of favour at ****dee United, having being blamed by Houghston for it all going t*ts up for them in the 2-2 draw with us.

Decent player who i'm sure would love to play for Hibs.

Not sure what his contract situation is and whether we could afford the kind of transfer fee United may be looking for.

new malkyhib
03-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Decent player who i'm sure would love to play for Hibs.

Not sure what his contract situation is and whether we could afford the kind of transfer fee United may be looking for.

Don't think we'd get him, but I heard we were after John Daly.

matty_f
03-01-2011, 05:18 PM

Did we sign anyone else? I think we were linked with Anderson and Hart but none of them came in, leaving us short for the rest of the season to help guide us from pushing for 2rd to challenging for 4th.

Cannae mind if anyone else came in, only remember Smith because it was announced as soon as the we could.

Big_D
03-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Don't think we'd get him, but I heard we were after John Daly.

Was it Daly who played centreback against us last week ?

Dr Jimmy
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Was it Daly who played centreback against us last week ?

Yep.

BEEJ
03-01-2011, 06:01 PM

We signed Mark Brown on 30 January 2010 and then Alan Gow on 1 February 2010.

Further to Matty's observation on early January signings, in January 2009 we signed Johanssen on the 1st of the month and Szamotulski on the 2nd.

hibsbollah
03-01-2011, 07:13 PM

No-ones going to rip you for that. Would be an inspired signing but I doubt we'd afford what Utd would want.

Speedway
03-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Mark Brown was a decent January signing as was Ivan Sproule.

Ultimately I think, that if the club completes deals for players to join Hibs this week, we may well hear news of new signings within the next few days.

Albion Hibs
03-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Mark Brown was a decent January signing as was Ivan Sproule.

Ultimately I think, that if the club completes deals for players to join Hibs this week, we may well hear news of new signings within the next few days.

I agree with that I would think the board would be keen to get a few annoncements out / some positive press to try and get a few more folk through the door this weekend.

sesoim
04-01-2011, 01:22 AM

We desperately need at least on domineering CB and a lively midfielder. That is a minimum.

I'd also like Jimmy Calderwood as manager but that wont happen until things get worse. Petrie clearly felt playing for Scotland and doing, at best, mediocre jobs in England was more impressive than a proven SPL manager who hasn't failed anywhere. We'd be midtable by now under JC or Craig Brown, but that's the difference between good and bad managers.

KiddA
04-01-2011, 01:32 AM

I got Michael Owen on a free on FM 2011in my second season, he banged a few goals in and we won the Scottish Cup. Surprised he only wanted 4500 pound a week :wink: cmon CC what are you waiting for get him signed :agree:

Leishy1995
04-01-2011, 02:53 AM
I got Michael Owen on a free on FM 2011in my second season, he banged a few goals in and we won the Scottish Cup. Surprised he only wanted 4500 pound a week :wink: cmon CC what are you waiting for get him signed :agree:

You are a genius then because in my 2nd year i was sacked, biggest signing was fyvie for 2 million aftering asking the board to negotiate for me, how realistic.:aok:

I thought we'd go for a templeton at first sign now train for a few years and bring into the squad but after thinking of how P*ss poor the team was, that's a major risk. I'd like to sign Hayes and anyone heard what Boozy's doing? he could have one day been sweeper.

DAVE1875
04-01-2011, 03:57 AM
No-ones going to rip you for that. Would be an inspired signing but I doubt we'd afford what Utd would want.

I think he may be out of favour at United as Peter Houston has blamed him for them not being able to beat us, although I reccall us time after time getting into them after Bamba's goal on his last appearence for the club.

Septimus
04-01-2011, 06:41 AM
It is inconceivable that Hibs management team did not know that Bamba would be away on the first day of the window. It would seem reasonable to expect that they have a replacement in mind unless they think that Bamba was superfluous to requirements. Or maybe it is simply the lure of a quarter of a million is too much to resist.

Our salvation does not lie in numerous signings of has beens with inflated ideas of what they are worth and no feeling wahtsoever for the club. This pattern has landed us just where we are. We need wannabees and we need them now.

Cropley10
04-01-2011, 08:18 AM
It is inconceivable that Hibs management team did not know that Bamba would be away on the first day of the window. It would seem reasonable to expect that they have a replacement in mind unless they think that Bamba was superfluous to requirements. Or maybe it is simply the lure of a quarter of a million is too much to resist.

Our salvation does not lie in numerous signings of has beens with inflated ideas of what they are worth and no feeling wahtsoever for the club. This pattern has landed us just where we are. We need wannabees and we need them now.

Very good post.

Are we going to do what we've always done, and expect a different outcome?

Or are we going to trust CC's judgement of the English market and sign some quality.

Frankly selling a player on Day 1 for £250k and to not bring in a replacement, would look negligent.

smurf
04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Very good post.

Or are we going to trust CC's judgement of the English market and sign some quality.

Frankly selling a player on Day 1 for £250k and to not bring in a replacement, would look negligent.

Negligence Is also selling 20+ goal a season Stokes on the last day and NOT replacing him KNOWING full well they were going to do so.

And Duffy was Benjis replacement....

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Negligence Is also selling 20+ goal a season Stokes on the last day and NOT replacing him KNOWING full well they were going to do so.

And Duffy was Benjis replacement....
Do you know this for certain, Smurf? Or is it just your take on things?

smurf
04-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Do you know this for certain, Smurf? Or is it just your take on things?

Well if the board didn't know it everyone on here particularly the PM board knew?

Phil MaGlass
04-01-2011, 09:27 AM
7 new players to arrive and 8 to leave, thats my prediction.

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Well if the board didn't know it everyone on here particularly the PM board knew?
As ever there was speculation for some time beforehand (there always is). But as I recall, it was not the case that anyone on here knew for certain it was going to happen until (at most) a couple of days before the transfer.

That would confirm the argument that Celtic made the bid during the last week of the window by which time Hibs were limited as to their options to bring in a replacement.

You are accusing the Board of negligence in arbitrarily selling one of our key players on the eve of the window closing and from under the nose of the manager. All this purely to make a fast-buck and to bow the knee to the OF. I disagree entirely.

The reasons for the sale of Stokes have been well rehearsed on here and were not just down to money. The injury to Duffy a few days after the window closed was appalling bad luck.

Danderhall Hibs
04-01-2011, 10:29 AM
I'd also like Jimmy Calderwood as manager but that wont happen until things get worse. Petrie clearly felt playing for Scotland and doing, at best, mediocre jobs in England was more impressive than a proven SPL manager who hasn't failed anywhere. We'd be midtable by now under JC or Craig Brown, but that's the difference between good and bad managers.

Wee bit harsh on CC IMO. Has Jimmy Calderwood even had a mediocre job? What about Craig Brown? His biggest club gig was Preston North End where he failed and got sacked.

Forest trump PNE in my book.

stokesmessiah
04-01-2011, 10:33 AM

You really do like to rally round and raise bad feeling about the board dont you!?!?

I answered one of your posts yesterday when you claimed that managers job at Hibs is now impossible due to petrie having that meeting with the players...however many years ago now that it was!?

I wonder in the first half of last season when we were flying was the job still impossible then? Were the board plotting to destroy us from the inside out then??

bighairyfaeleith
04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Apparently there will be some news at 6pm today. FACT:wink:

Speedway
04-01-2011, 10:39 AM

By Fact, do you mean Fact or complete pony?

stokesmessiah
04-01-2011, 10:40 AM

Its on everyday at 6pm? :confused: :wink:

bighairyfaeleith
04-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Its on everyday at 6pm? :confused: :wink:

ssshhh:greengrin

Speedway
04-01-2011, 10:52 AM
ssshhh:greengrin

Aaaahh complete pony it is.

Gmack7
04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
there is always news on the tv at 6:wink:

bighairyfaeleith
04-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Aaaahh complete pony it is.

yep, unless we actually announce a signing at 6pm, then I will claim I have a great source and become smugger than a tory in a threesome with a dog and and a horse:greengrin

Billy Whizz
04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Very good post.

I think Bamba's replacement is already at the club, Paul Hanlon. I'm sure him and Dickoh will be given an extended run. We also have another 2/3 centre backs on our books.
The Bamba money is better used on other area's of the pitch than centre back.

smurf
04-01-2011, 11:14 AM
You really do like to rally round and raise bad feeling about the board dont you!?!?

I answered one of your posts yesterday when you claimed that managers job at Hibs is now impossible due to petrie having that meeting with the players...however many years ago now that it was!?

I wonder in the first half of last season when we were flying was the job still impossible then? Were the board plotting to destroy us from the inside out then??

The players not good enough go. Our turnover in players in the past five years has been incredible. Poor replacements signed in a pathetic attempt to replace the quality we had to sell.

Managers have come and gone at an alarming rate.

All fair game for discussion, debate and arguement.

But DARE to question the consistent constant in all of this the board then you get slapped down in a tirade of insults and ridicule.

Bizzare.

Hibees07
04-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I think Bamba's replacement is already at the club, Paul Hanlon. I'm sure him and Dickoh will be given an extended run. We also have another 2/3 centre backs on our books.

Not enough height at the back to compete with the big bustling centre forwards that most teams have, we require a 6.5ft centre back who is powerfull in the air and is prepared to batter a few centre forwards. :agree:

snooky
04-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Nobody's mentioned young Stevens (is it?). How's he faring? He was supposed to be 'almost ready' for the 1st team at the beginning of the season.

Billy Whizz
04-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Nobody's mentioned young Stevens (is it?). How's he fairing? He was supposed to be 'almost ready' for the 1st team at the beginning of the season.

He's one of the 2/3 others in the books(Hogg, Thicot, Stephens).

Dirkster23
04-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Not enough height at the back to compete with the big bustling centre forwards that most teams have, we require a 6.5ft centre back who is powerfull in the air and is prepared to batter a few centre forwards. :agree:

What we could do with is a big physical CH with decent experience who can take control of the back four. You obviously need a bit of height in your CH positions, but we're crying out for an old head to steady the ship.

Moulin Yarns
04-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Some of the dross being punted then :wink:

Big90inOz
04-01-2011, 11:40 AM

Does that mean I have to sit up till after 2 in the morning to find out :grr: :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
04-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Does that mean I have to sit up till after 2 in the morning to find out :grr: :greengrin

Yes Please Do:greengrin

Big90inOz
04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Yes Please Do:greengrin

Cheers :aok:
Hope it's worth it :party:

Spike Mandela
04-01-2011, 12:00 PM
What we could do with is a big physical CH with decent experience who can take control of the back four. You obviously need a bit of height in your CH positions, but we're crying out for an old head to steady the ship.

Doesn't sound like Calderwood is looking for anything in that department.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/football/Hibs-boss-says-Hanlon-emergence.6678883.jp

Cropley10
04-01-2011, 12:06 PM
The players not good enough go. Our turnover in players in the past five years has been incredible. Poor replacements signed in a pathetic attempt to replace the quality we had to sell.

But DARE to question the consistent constant in all of this the board then you get slapped down in a tirade of insults and ridicule.

Bizzare.

Except of course Smurf, funny how it's always the same pro-Boarders who do this. If you ken what I mean.

Spike Mandela
04-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Bizzare.

Hate to be a pedant but can you get an inconsistent constant Smurf:confused::wink:

bighairyfaeleith
04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Doesn't sound like Calderwood is looking for anything in that department.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/football/Hibs-boss-says-Hanlon-emergence.6678883.jp

Glad he is talking up Hanlon, we need to put some confidence into our Defenders and I reckon Hanlon will become a really good CH for us.

smurf
04-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Hate to be a pedant but can you get an inconsistent constant Smurf:confused::wink:

:greengrin:wink:

Tyler Durden
04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Glad he is talking up Hanlon, we need to put some confidence into our Defenders and I reckon Hanlon will become a really good CH for us.

Would be good if Hanlon could gain some confidence himself by actually stringing together 3/4 solid performances in a row. Still lacks the required aggression for me and not sure we can rely on him and Dickoh for the rest of the season.

The likes of Thicot and Hogg as back up do not even bear thinking about.

bighairyfaeleith
04-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Would be good if Hanlon could gain some confidence himself by actually stringing together 3/4 solid performances in a row. Still lacks the required aggression for me and not sure we can rely on him and Dickoh for the rest of the season.

The likes of Thicot and Hogg as back up do not even bear thinking about.

I think it will come, the defense needs to have a consistent line up so they all learn to play together and be comfortable with each other, we also need the midfield to be moving the game up the pitch and taking some of the pressure of these guys.

It all needs to click in but I still think it will in time.

PaulSmith
04-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Just listened to Calderwood on Hibs TV and I'm predicting that we see very little new faces bar the guys coming back from loan plus Duffy/Zemamma.

Already hearing the same (am I allowed to call them excuses or will it be termed anti-Hibs/Board) in that other factors have got in the way of proposed deals like players coming back into their managers plans, injuries and loans not beneficial to English clubs.

If you set your expectations to 1 or 2 then you won't be disappointed.

Cropley10
04-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Just listened to Calderwood on Hibs TV and I'm predicting that we see very little new faces bar the guys coming back from loan plus Duffy/Zemamma.

Already hearing the same (am I allowed to call them excuses or will it be termed anti-Hibs/Board) in that other factors have got in the way of proposed deals like players coming back into their managers plans, injuries and loans not beneficial to English clubs.

My expectation is set at 1, most possibly 0...

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 03:35 PM

I'm expecting two good signings as a minimum (even decent loan signings) and hoping for three. Anything less and we are likely to struggle.

Be interesting to see by comparison who and how many Hamilton sign during this window.

Hibee Daz
04-01-2011, 03:38 PM

Bizzare.

Don't question the white knight or his brothers at their round boardroom table or you'll be deemed a traitor. :rolleyes:

I will ask this though what do folk care about more business or football?

I for one don't go to ER to read the financial times.:wink:

I will finish by saying I don't want us to pish with a cock we haven't got but, maybe with more money being invested into better scouting system we would see better value for money on the park, rather than relying on DVD's and nonsense like that to find players!

Spike Mandela
04-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Listened to that interview as well and got the same inference from it as you.

I would advise people to rein in their wild ideas about upwards of 3-4 signings and would not be surprised if there aren't any at all or if at all maybe just one.

Question we have got to ask ourselves though is are the players we have at the club good enough and/or tough enough to go to places like Paisley, Hamilton and Aberdeen and get a result when it really matters?

Answer very much NO IMO

EskbankHibby
04-01-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm expecting two good signings as a minimum (even decent loan signings) and hoping for three. Anything less and we are likely to struggle.

Be interesting to see by comparison who and how many Hamilton sign during this window.

:agree: Pretty much my thoughts.

Particularly relevant when you consider our position and performances coupled with the fact that we sold our top scorer on the last day of the summer window and arguably our best defender on the first day of this window.

I understand the viewpoint held by some that we should write off this season and wait for a clearing of the decks in the summer but i think this is a dangerous strategy. Even 2 or 3 top quality 6 month loan deals with some of Bambas £200k would help imo.

PatHead
04-01-2011, 05:38 PM

Have I missed something?

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Have I missed something?
Not yet, no. :I'm waiti

I believe it may have been intended as a joke.

PaulSmith
04-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Here's something else to digest, let's assume we stay up this season. We go into next season knowing that 3 teams are going down.
The risk of asking 10 +players to gel over the summer and into a team to get off to a flier is one hell of an ask.

Other clubs will take the gamble and get some real quality in now for next season to try and ensure they're in the first season of the new SPL....what does everyone think we'll do?

matty_f
04-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Here's something else to digest, let's assume we stay up this season. We go into next season knowing that 3 teams are going down.
The risk of asking 10 +players to gel over the summer and into a team to get off to a flier is one hell of an ask.

Other clubs will take the gamble and get some real quality in now for next season to try and ensure they're in the first season of the new SPL....what does everyone think we'll do?

I don't think many clubs will be doing much business, certainly not much more business than we do, in the January window. I'd be very surprised if that happened, tbh.

PaulSmith
04-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't think many clubs will be doing much business, certainly not much more business than we do, in the January window. I'd be very surprised if that happened, tbh.

And in the summer?

Why are pre-contracts done and dusted now for next season. The manager has been in place for 3 months, we've got a Chairman who's exclusive job these days seems to be to negotiate outgoing and incoming player movement.

My feeling right now, we'll keep the majority of the 16 players out of contract as "the other players available where not any better than what we already had" or "we cannot afford to make too many changes too soon" and we'll add 3 or 4 in total. Thus reducing the squad size and cost to the club.
The manager will then be asked to ensure that we keep the club outside the relegation zone with next to the same squad of players that we already have and have failed miserably already.

Cropley10
04-01-2011, 06:06 PM

:agree: I've always thought the idea there was some 'master-plan' where we were suddenly going to go out and buy a whole new team at the end of this season, as one that didn't make much sense, and was full of risk.

This makes the task in this window and the next even more difficult IMHO.

Like I've said I don't think we'll see more than ONE in, possibly NONE.

It's going to be a roller-coaster:greengrin:

matty_f
04-01-2011, 06:07 PM
And in the summer?

I think that given the number of players we've got going out of contract, we'll be one of the busiest clubs in the summer for bringing in players.

Your point was about January, though, wasn't it?:confused:

PaulSmith
04-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I think that given the number of players we've got going out of contract, we'll be one of the busiest clubs in the summer for bringing in players.

Your point was about January, though, wasn't it?:confused:

Kinda :greengrin Edited it a bit now as well

What I think we might see now that the leagues are sorted are other clubs thinking ahead and getting players in now (at least of pre-contracts) with the view to giving them the best possible chance to stay up next season.

jdships
04-01-2011, 06:22 PM

Good post IMO
While I can see where you are coming from
In a perfect world that would be the answer.
Unfortunately when you look at SPL club's balance sheets it will be well nigh impossible for any club other than Hearts who will be in a position to "splash the cash" .
Romanov will just "balance the books" and trust to luck !!
Even the OF now have constraints on their spending
Further to that will teams in "Div 2" , wanting to gain that promotion spot, have the wherewithall/resources to build a team that can stay up ?
Dundee/Livingston/Gretna have all suffered snd can see a few more clubs struggling cashwise over the next few years - part time football for some perhaps who knows ?

Interesting times ahead indeed for Scottish football and supporters .
Cannot see anything in 2 x 10 leagues that excites me or promises a better level of football entertainment

:confused::rolleyes:

matty_f
04-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Kinda :greengrin Edited it a bit now as well

What I think we might see now that the leagues are sorted are other clubs thinking ahead and getting players in now (at least of pre-contracts) with the view to giving them the best possible chance to stay up next season.

I suppose it's going to be a case of wait and see.:agree:

Will be interesting to see the number of SPL clubs announcing pre-contracts just now. Has anyone done so yet?:dunno:

PaulSmith
04-01-2011, 06:28 PM

It's the Hibs way Matty, that and fingers crossed!

Goal, Archibald
04-01-2011, 06:29 PM

Will be interesting to see the number of SPL clubs announcing pre-contracts just now. Has anyone done so yet?:dunno:

There is a part on the BBC site that shows you what signings have been made. Full transfer/pre contract. Was looking at it this morning but cant seem to see it now :confused:

I'm sure Calderwood over the last few months will be aware what area's he needs to beef up. I'm never too downbeat when a manager/chairman says they are not expecting a lot of activity. Last thing we want to do is come out and say we have X amount to spend etc.

Cant see it being wholesale but there will be changes at some point during the month. Hopefully the sooner the better.

Andy Bee
04-01-2011, 07:43 PM

The way I understand it the new rules will start in season 2012-2013 so we have two full seasons left and the remainder of this one :dunno:

PaulSmith
04-01-2011, 07:49 PM
The way I understand it the new rules will start in season 2012-2013 so we have two full seasons left and the remainder of this one :dunno:

BBC sports news showed a pic stating that season after next. i.e season 2011/12 will be last in current format and from 2012/13 the new format will start of 2 x 10 leagues.

Andy Bee
04-01-2011, 08:18 PM
BBC sports news showed a pic stating that season after next. i.e season 2011/12 will be last in current format and from 2012/13 the new format will start of 2 x 10 leagues.

Appologies, I picked it up wrong from STV News.

A worse scenario now is then if we go down this season, effectively we'll be playing first division/SPL 2 football until the 2013/2014 season kicks off assuming we have a team good enough to win promotion. Some real quality is needed this window :agree:

PaulSmith
04-01-2011, 08:32 PM
I think it'll be 3 down 1 up scenario rather than just no one up and 2 down

eastmainsmsh
04-01-2011, 08:36 PM
If we go for lower league talent id like

Darren Mccormack Ross County Ok he played a part in his downfall but he is talented
Michael Gardyne Ross County looks a player who could be a real talent
Gary Irvine Dundee,Cant believe St Johnstone let him go
Allan Walker Raith Rovers Talented Player
Gary Harkins Playmaker

whiskyhibby
04-01-2011, 09:27 PM

Darren Mccormack Ross County Ok he played a part in his downfall but he is talented
Gary Harkins Playmaker

I wouldn't go for any Scottish lower league player unless they are under 23, otherwise there is usually a good reason why they have 'found' that level......

:agree::agree::agree:

hibsbollah
04-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Gary Harkins Playmaker

McCormack has just broken his leg.

BEEJ
04-01-2011, 10:11 PM
McCormack has just broken his leg.

Why would we take him back anyway? :confused: He left for a reason, or several.

Aldo
05-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Unless you find the odd gem who can step up a level and produce the goods week in week out, we buy players from a lower league and end up playing in the lower league before long.

Ie Duff Jimmy and Hughes.

aberhibsfc
05-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Well if we do go to a top ten SPL1 , lets hope we don't miss it's 1st season as happened when the SPL was formed.

If it's going to be a top ten and we're led to believe that more revenue will be available, then we have to go about our business by securing the likes of Riordan, Miller, Zouma and aim a bit higher in terms of player recruitment.

Other than the intial 3 teams which would be relegated which we are presently within that criteria, going forward 2 of the top ten may be relegated. 1 automatic and the second a play-off.

All the things which were wrong about the old top ten will return with it being even more cut-throat as two teams could drop. We will see managers more and more reluctant to blood young players. Given the financial climate this is probably the way most clubs should be going but the league template will scupper this. So we'll end up paying a bit more for older players that may not develop and play further and further away from the OF.

Leishy1995
05-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I hate transfer roumer websites butin desperation this is what #i thought was even remotly realistic.

03 Jan 2011 23:32:12
Hibs Rumours
Hibs looking at signing Murray Davidson and two players on loan from newcastle (Ryan Donaldson and Nile Ranger have been mentioned).

Kevin Mcbride has been released from his contract.

Graeme Smith has been told he can leave if he can find a new club with hibs interesed in a polish goalkeeper.

Leigh Griffiths may sign for hibs with a reported 100k being offered, although he may prefer a move to the championship.

THEWEEMAN, SOMETIMES IN THE KNOW.

typical Hibs. we love the polish goalies.

Cropley10
05-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I hate transfer roumer websites butin desperation this is what #i thought was even remotly realistic.

Hibs Rumours
Hibs looking at signing Murray Davidson and two players on loan from newcastle (Ryan Donaldson and Nile Ranger have been mentioned).

Graeme Smith has been told he can leave if he can find a new club with hibs interesed in a polish goalkeeper.

Leigh Griffiths may sign for hibs with a reported 100k being offered, although he may prefer a move to the championship.

Aren't those all fibs though?

superfurryhibby
05-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Ideally I think we would have been waiting until the summer for a clearout and an intake. Unfortunately this side is utterly pish poor and the above scenario is a gamble too far. I really fear for us and to my mind this team is is a poor as the one that got relegated. The board did not exactly cover themselves in glory then having responded to finsihing in the play-offs the season before by allowing Duffy to be given free reign to take us down.

We need to sign four-five players. I don't care if it's loans, short-term deals or permanent. There is no way we can trust this lot to get us out of trouble and there is no doubt that we are in deep ****.

No more big adventures Mr Petrie. If we do go down Mr Untouchable would surely have the decency to remove himself?

For what it's worth I feel we need a right back, a midfield and another striker.

AndersonGGTTH
05-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Ideally we need a clearout now rather than summer so we have time for new players to gel etc

scoopyboy
05-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Ideally we need a clearout now rather than summer so we have time for new players to gel etc

Ideally you are correct.

Now for the hard bit, how do you go about having a clear out?

The_Horde
05-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I hope we can get in at least 1 maybe two to help us out.

Ideally for me we need a midfield general, someone with experience who isn't afraid to put himself about, get on the ball and make simple passes. Murray is okay in there but the fact it seems to take him forever to get the ball down and distribute it really delays our attacks.

We also need a Right back with pace as i am not convinced by Hart at all and Thicot is not the long term answer.

Cropley10
05-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Ideally I think we would have been waiting until the summer for a clearout and an intake. Unfortunately this side is utterly pish poor and the above scenario is a gamble too far. I really fear for us and to my mind this team is is a poor as the one that got relegated. The board did not exactly cover themselves in glory then having responded to finsihing in the play-offs the season before by allowing Duffy to be given free reign to take us down.

We need to sign four-five players. I don't care if it's loans, short-term deals or permanent. There is no way we can trust this lot to get us out of trouble and there is no doubt that we are in deep ****.

No more big adventures Mr Petrie. If we do go down Mr Untouchable would surely have the decency to remove himself?

For what it's worth I feel we need a right back, a midfield and another striker.

Steel yoursel' - I reckon we'll get 1 in, maybe none...

superfurryhibby
05-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Steel yoursel' - I reckon we'll get 1 in, maybe none...

If so then hell mend them. 1st Division = big drop in income and the complete disillusionment of the supporters. Too big a risk, I reckon the chequebook will be opened. Nevertheless, I am braced!

PaulSmith
06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Just listened to the latest Hibs TV interview...erm not much suggestion that anything is going to happen.

Talked again about why English clubs wouldn't loan players to Scottish clubs as it isn't as flexible as loaning inside England.

TornadoHibby
06-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Hibs Rumours

All that "information" was readily available on here! :confused:

BEEJ
06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Just listened to the latest Hibs TV interview...erm not much suggestion that anything is going to happen.

Talked again about why English clubs wouldn't loan players to Scottish clubs as it isn't as flexible as loaning inside England.
I'm beginning to think it will be 'as we are' for the important fixture against Hamilton on the 18th.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-01-2011, 04:55 PM
1st Division = big drop in income and the complete disillusionment of the supporters.
I think disillusionment has already begun to set in, particularly on here. I've never got over a Derby defeat quicker than the last one, apart from The Hampden one. If thats the way we must play to try and get a result v Hearts you've got to wonder how long people will part with their readies for.

silverhibee
07-01-2011, 02:07 PM
What are peoples thoughts on this, will CC delve in to the transfer market this week and try to bring a couple of new face's to the club this week, wee do need new players and to get them in early would hopefully be a good thing for Hibs and the team, and maybe give the fans a wee lift having new players at ER.

Or will it be a case of getting players if available at the end of the window.

I have every faith in CC turning things around at Hibs if he can get some of his own targets in to the club this window.

Oh well, wee can always look forward to a signing or two for next week.:thumbsup: