PDA

View Full Version : NHC Rangers - Minute's silence before old firm game

johnbc70
02-01-2011, 12:22 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12083091

A chance for the so called "greatest fans in the world" to show some humility on national television and respect the minutes silence........

No chance! Will be interesting to see how this is handled and I think its correct to have a this to remember the football fans who died that day.

MSK
02-01-2011, 12:27 AM

A chance for the so called "greatest fans in the world" to show some humility on national television and respect the minutes silence........

No chance! Will be interesting to see how this is handled and I think its correct to have a this to remember the football fans who died that day.Im sure they will ...:agree:

Antifa Hibs
02-01-2011, 12:29 AM
It's sad as **** the amount of media attention this has got. Its like they want it to get distrupted. Give them something to moan about...

Non story anyway. It will be respected. 8000 fans, all it needs is one fanny to shout something and every Celtic supporter that day will be blamed. Load of *** nonsense.

ScottB
02-01-2011, 12:35 AM
I would think the majority will observe it, after all Celtic were involved in the disaster itself.

Of course there are proper fans and the knuckle dragging morons.

No doubt any disruption will just be further evidence of the great Celtic conspiracy...

Cabbage East
02-01-2011, 12:44 AM
It's sad as **** the amount of media attention this has got. Its like they want it to get distrupted. Give them something to moan about...

Non story anyway. It will be respected. 8000 fans, all it needs is one fanny to shout something and every Celtic supporter that day will be blamed. Load of *** nonsense.

You might be on to something there.

Billy
02-01-2011, 12:45 AM

No chance! Will be interesting to see how this is handled and I think its correct to have a this to remember the football fans who died that day.

:agree: Not just to remember those who died but also those who were injured and those traumatised by it. I have an uncle who was there and he has never once gone back to a football ground since.

Hopefully the silence will be respected by all.

IWasThere2016
02-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Silence beautifully observed.

Wotherspiniesta
02-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Was it? I heard quite a few boo's afterwards.

Jack
02-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Microphones turned down in the appropriate areas????

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2011, 12:01 PM

Or genuine decency?

TheEastTerrace
02-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Seemed to be impeccably observed.

The irony is that not long after, both fans got tore into each other with the usual sectarian venom. :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
02-01-2011, 12:06 PM

I might be wrong but that's what it seemed like to me.

It might just have been Sky doing it as a precaution, as opposed to silencing any actual disruption.

Also seemed like Thompson and Lennon weren't out for the silence either as they came running out the tunnel when the referee blew his whistle to end the silence.

Poor show if that was the case.

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2011, 12:11 PM

It might just have been Sky doing it as a precaution, as opposed to silencing any actual disruption.

Also seemed like Thompson and Lennon weren't out for the silence either as they came running out the tunnel when the referee blew his whistle to end the silence.

Why poor show? As has been suggested, maybe they were asked to stay inside. That, for me, shows respect by and for all concerned.

TheEastTerrace
02-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Why poor show? As has been suggested, maybe they were asked to stay inside. That, for me, shows respect by and for all concerned.

There were handshakes all round between Lennon and McCoist, and the backroom teams, when they emerged from the tunnel so I suspect that this may have been the case

Iggy Pope
02-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I would think the majority will observe it, after all Celtic were involved in the disaster itself.

Of course there are proper fans and the knuckle dragging morons.

No doubt any disruption will just be further evidence of the great Celtic conspiracy...

:wtf:
Seems like there is more than a wee bit paranoia creeping in here never mind anywhere else.
The silence looked (or sounded) to be very well observed from where I am sitting and the handshakes between the opposing benches were genuine.
Time to stop looking for something that's simply not there.

The game itself however, is ******.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2011, 12:37 PM
The silence was perfectly observed.

Was talking to a mate whos a Rangers fans about it last night. He text me from the game and his exact word were:

'Cedit where it's due, silence observed totally'.

Absolutely no reason why Celtc fans on the whole would disrupt it. Many of them were traumatised by what they seen that day and many lived in the same streets and communities as those who didn't return. Of course you can't always account for the actions of 1 or 2 idiots.

Of course lets not let that get in the way of a witch hunt and Celtcesque conspiracy theories about switched off microphones and the like.

TornadoHibby
02-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Seems like there is more than a wee bit paranoia creeping in here never mind anywhere else.
The silence looked (or sounded) to be very well observed from where I am sitting and the handshakes between the opposing benches were genuine.

:agree: My thoughts exactly!
:top marks

Sir David Gray
02-01-2011, 01:38 PM

:confused: Why would they be asked to stay inside?

I don't understand that one at all.

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2011, 01:41 PM

As was suggested earlier, their presence (particularly Lennon's) might wind a few people up and detract from the occasion. Better not to take that chance, IMO.

Indeed, there is previous evidence of something like this. When Blackburn (or maybe Liverpool?) played at Parkhead a few years ago, Souness stayed inside until just before the game.

Turning it around, are you suggesting that they deliberately stayed inside of their own accord to disrespect the tribute?

Iggy Pope
02-01-2011, 01:44 PM

Could be a number of reasons, but particularly the avoidance of a potential flashpoint. Neil Lennon after all, is not a popular figure and I'm sure he knows this more than anyone.
All that has really been achieved though is to give people something to sweetie-wife about.
On another note,the BBC radio comentary team seem to think that the tribute was well observed too. Wonder if they had their Mics off as well......

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Why would Lennon observing a minutes silence at the side of the pitch, have caused trouble or caused the huns to break the silence?:confused:

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Why would Lennon observing a minutes silence at the side of the pitch, have caused trouble or caused the huns to break the silence?:confused:

Probably need to be in the mind of one of them to answer that. :cool2:

Iggy Pope
02-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Maybe it wouldn't. But he's a volatile character to put in a hostile surround at the best of times.

Then again maybe him and his team were a wee bit late getting up the tunnel and decided to stay put rather than disrupt the start? He should get some credit if that's the case.

Do you think he was staging his own protest? I know you've got more sense than that....

TheEastTerrace
02-01-2011, 01:57 PM
He just stated he was late getting out, so waited in the tunnel and not disrupt the silence. Fair enough and let's put this to bed now. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Maybe it wouldn't. But he's a volatile character to put in a hostile surround at the best of times.

Then again maybe him and his team were a wee bit late getting up the tunnel and decided to stay put rather than disrupt the start? He should get some credit if that's the case.

Do you think he was staging his own protest? I know you've got more sense than that....

He's just said he was coming up the tunnel when it started, and decided to let it go before he came to the top. Nothing sinister imo, just a case of him arriving late, and not wanting to appear half way through the silence.

Iggy Pope
02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
He's just said he was coming up the tunnel when it started, and decided to let it go before he came to the top. Nothing sinister imo, just a case of him arriving late, and not wanting to appear half way through the silence.

Good.

Jack
02-01-2011, 02:08 PM

:agree: My thoughts exactly!
:top marks

Personally I find it hard to believe either of these clubs would do anything that isn’t through self-interest, or greed, or something else to do with self.

TV companies have a reputation for turning up/down sound as it suits or avoiding images that don’t suit.

Forgive me if my celebrations of public events are somewhat limited. I fully understand 1st anniversary; 10th; 25th; 50th and 100th anniversaries for such events, even 75th. But 40th? While there is little doubt those personally touched by the event will privately hold each anniversary and every day dear to their hearts for the memory of their family and friends I cannot recall such national public coverage for a 40th.

The timing, the 40th anniversary, therefore strikes me as being aimed at something else.

Something perhaps we are more used to the other side of the OF doing and that is portraying themselves as victims; the good guys as a counterbalance to the on-going bigotry we’ve unfortunately become accustomed to, which they do virtually nothing to address; the violence that has always been a customary part of their embarrassing trips to Europe, which they do virtually nothing to address and indeed brush off as ‘it wiznae really us, it wiz the fault of the police, the authorities fault, the big boy that ran away.

Cynic

Sir David Gray
02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Could be a number of reasons, but particularly the avoidance of a potential flashpoint. Neil Lennon after all, is not a popular figure and I'm sure he knows this more than anyone.
All that has really been achieved though is to give people something to sweetie-wife about.
On another note,the BBC radio comentary team seem to think that the tribute was well observed too. Wonder if they had their Mics off as well......

As was suggested earlier, their presence (particularly Lennon's) might wind a few people up and detract from the occasion. Better not to take that chance, IMO.

Turning it around, are you suggesting that they deliberately stayed inside of their own accord to disrespect the tribute?

If that is the case and Neil Lennon was asked to stay inside during the silence then I think that is completely wrong of whoever had that idea.

As the manager of Celtic, he should have been present during the silence. The fact that he is an unpopular figure at Ibrox is irrelevant to me. He would wind up most people in Scottish football, particularly those of a Rangers persuasion, no matter what the occasion was, so I don't buy that.

If I was a Rangers fan there today, I would have turned up, fully expecting to see Neil Lennon standing in the away dugout during the silence, so I honestly do not understand why people are suggesting that he may have been asked to stay inside as it could have been a potential flashpoint.

I did think at the time that Lennon had stayed inside of his own accord. If that is not the case then that's fair enough but whoever took the decision for Lennon and Alan Thompson to stay inside, whether it was themselves, someone at Rangers or the police, got that decision completely wrong, in my opinion.

As for the silence, I didn't say that it wasn't impeccably observed. I said that I thought Sky may have silenced their microphones as I didn't hear a thing during the silence. You normally hear the odd cough or the effects of the wind on the microphones, when there's a silence, but I heard nothing. If Sky didn't do that then that's fine but after what happened during the Remembrance Day silence in 2009, you can't blame people for raising their suspicions.

EDIT-Just read that he was late coming out and didn't want to appear half way through the silence. Personally I think that is completely wrong of Lennon and disrespectful. He was fully aware that a silence was taking place today and should have made sure that he was in the dugout, well in advance of the silence taking place.

If this match had been at Parkhead and Celtic were having a minute's silence for the Pope dying or something like that, you can be rest assured that Lennon would have been in the dugout, ready for the referee to blow his whistle.

For me, that is unacceptable. Just my opinion though.

Iggy Pope
02-01-2011, 02:56 PM
If that is the case and Neil Lennon was asked to stay inside during the silence then I think that is completely wrong of whoever had that idea.

As the manager of Celtic, he should have been present during the silence. The fact that he is an unpopular figure at Ibrox is irrelevant to me. He would wind up most people in Scottish football, particularly those of a Rangers persuasion, no matter what the occasion was, so I don't buy that.

If I was a Rangers fan there today, I would have turned up, fully expecting to see Neil Lennon standing in the away dugout during the silence, so I honestly do not understand why people are suggesting that he may have been asked to stay inside as it could have been a potential flashpoint.

I did think at the time that Lennon had stayed inside of his own accord. If that is not the case then that's fair enough but whoever took the decision for Lennon and Alan Thompson to stay inside, whether it was themselves, someone at Rangers or the police, got that decision completely wrong, in my opinion.

As for the silence, I didn't say that it wasn't impeccably observed. I said that I thought Sky may have silenced their microphones as I didn't hear a thing during the silence. You normally hear the odd cough or the effects of the wind on the microphones, when there's a silence, but I heard nothing. If Sky didn't do that then that's fine but after what happened during the Remembrance Day silence in 2009, you can't blame people for raising their suspicions.

EDIT-Just read that he was late coming out and didn't want to appear half way through the silence. Personally I think that is completely wrong of Lennon and disrespectful. He was fully aware that a silence was taking place today and should have made sure that he was in the dugout, well in advance of the silence taking place.

If this match had been at Parkhead and Celtic were having a minute's silence for the Pope dying or something like that, you can be rest assured that Lennon would have been in the dugout, ready for the referee to blow his whistle.

For me, that is unacceptable. Just my opinion though.

I think it's covered in previous posts and on another thread.
Contrived, total non-story.

Edit:
Maybe he was having a last-minute jobbie. God works in mysterious ways.

Iggy Pope
02-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Personally I find it hard to believe either of these clubs would do anything that isn’t through self-interest, or greed, or something else to do with self.

TV companies have a reputation for turning up/down sound as it suits or avoiding images that don’t suit.

Forgive me if my celebrations of public events are somewhat limited. I fully understand 1st anniversary; 10th; 25th; 50th and 100th anniversaries for such events, even 75th. But 40th? While there is little doubt those personally touched by the event will privately hold each anniversary and every day dear to their hearts for the memory of their family and friends I cannot recall such national public coverage for a 40th.

The timing, the 40th anniversary, therefore strikes me as being aimed at something else.

Something perhaps we are more used to the other side of the OF doing and that is portraying themselves as victims; the good guys as a counterbalance to the on-going bigotry we’ve unfortunately become accustomed to, which they do virtually nothing to address; the violence that has always been a customary part of their embarrassing trips to Europe, which they do virtually nothing to address and indeed brush off as ‘it wiznae really us, it wiz the fault of the police, the authorities fault, the big boy that ran away.

Cynic

66 victims lost their lives. 40 years ago to the day. Try not to let your cynicism get in the way of that single fact.
And the silence was observed whether you like it or not. All sections of the media are reporting it this way. If there had been disrespect we would know about it. And the Huns would have responded in kind instantly.

heretoday
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
40 years on and I'd say nothing has changed in the OF scene. In fact it's actually worse.

The silence was well observed but in no time the bile was out and before the end we had the Famine Song etc.

These people are mad.

LancashireHibby
02-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Cynic

Put your cynicism aside, I remember Man Utd holding a minute's silence against Bolton for the 40th anniversary of the Munich air disaster. Still got the programme somewhere.

Green_one
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Put your cynicism aside, I remember Man Utd holding a minute's silence against Bolton for the 40th anniversary of the Munich air disaster. Still got the programme somewhere.

:agree: There is NOTHING wrong with a 40th Anniversary. Rangers went to a lot of trouble for this one, so its not a 'trap' for Celtic.

And Celtic seem to have been very well behaved. Good for them. At the end of the day its a basic decency.

Pretty simple. Lets not look for a conspiracy that is not there.

Gala Foxes
03-01-2011, 10:02 AM
can't believe anyone is challenging the rationale for commemorating a national disaster where 66 punters, just like us, went to a football match and never went home

mim
03-01-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't think the fact that this is the 40th anniversary of the disaster was the trigger for the event.

It was the fact that this game was on 2nd January at Ibrox. The exact date of the disaster.

There have been very few meeings between the two at Ibrox on this date, making this an appropriate occasion to remember the dead and injured.

just_joe
03-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Was just watching the memorial service on the news. very emotional.

Hibernian Verse
03-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Those that are doubting the Celtic fans...

I was in amongst them and it was impeccably observed. One guy (literally one guy) started clapping for some reason but he was soon lifted and booed after the whistle went by the Celtic support which will explain the boos heard.

Jack
03-01-2011, 10:58 AM
To all those who believe I’m not giving due respect.

I will emphasise, as I did earlier, I have every sympathy with those who lost someone in the incident.

After the replies, I now accept there may have been good cause for the public recognition.

Without wanting to fan the flames any further while I’d love to see this as the start of a bigger strategy of these clubs becoming ‘normalised’ and therefor more acceptable in a country where prejudice should and must be challenged I just cannot see it. Oh how I would love to be proved wrong.

Hibernia Na Eir
03-01-2011, 11:05 AM

FFS pot / kettle.

remember Waldo minutes silence (sorry, applause), was it well respected by Hibbies?

its life, get on with it!

Hibernia Na Eir
03-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Those that are doubting the Celtic fans...

I was in amongst them and it was impeccably observed. One guy (literally one guy) started clapping for some reason but he was soon lifted and booed after the whistle went by the Celtic support which will explain the boos heard.

Heard exact same.

Wotherspiniesta
03-01-2011, 12:09 PM
FFS pot / kettle.

remember Waldo minutes silence (sorry, applause), was it well respected by Hibbies?

its life, get on with it!

What are you on about? All I was saying was I heard boo's after the whistle for the minutes silence.

Not starting a conspiracy theory, just stating a fact.