PDA

View Full Version : Pistols v Clash

Dashing Bob S
29-12-2010, 02:41 PM
C'mon you old punks, nail those colours to the mast! None of this 'I loved them both' 'you can't compare the two' etc etc.

Never mind musicianship versus excitement, rock versus revolution, WHO DID YOU LIKE THE BEST?

Greentinted
29-12-2010, 11:00 PM
The Pistols by a country mile. They had the original X-Factor before Cowell bought his first pair of high-waisters!

CB_NO3
30-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Sorry for hijacking the thread as I was not about at the time but I would say The Clash.

cabbageandribs1875
31-12-2010, 12:49 AM
the clash

.Sean.
31-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Sex Pistols by a mile.

Phil D. Rolls
31-12-2010, 09:45 AM
We can only compare them over the years 1976 - 77. In that case the Pistols win easily. For the same reason (the Clash's longer career), I think they were more influential on subsequent developments - merging punk and reggae led to 2-Tone.

Ollie Reed
31-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Pistols, though think both bands turned into a bit of a circus eventually.

CmoantheHibs
31-12-2010, 06:22 PM
No contest in my opinion.Pistols by a country mile for me.

Bunter
01-01-2011, 09:24 PM
The Clash every time.

Dunbar Hibee
02-01-2011, 04:44 PM
The Clash

discman
02-01-2011, 05:48 PM
For sheer volume and quality of work The Clash,plus they were "proper" punk band, as apposed to the Pistols who were formed by Malcolm Mclaren,and hyped to the max, via Bill Grundy etc, no contest really :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
03-01-2011, 09:23 AM
For sheer volume and quality of work The Clash,plus they were "proper" punk band, as apposed to the Pistols who were formed by Malcolm Mclaren,and hyped to the max, via Bill Grundy etc, no contest really :greengrin

Hyped to the max, how would that compare to the Clash's 6 figure deal to sign for CBS? The Pistols may have got publicity from Bill Grundy but they also lost their record deal. Don't believe McLaren's version of events, the Sex Pistols were beyond control.

Hibbyradge
03-01-2011, 12:02 PM
The clash were magnificent.

The Pistols had one decent song.

Hillsidehibby
03-01-2011, 12:33 PM
The clash were magnificent.

The Pistols had one decent song.

Have you never listened to Never Mind the Bollocks then?

Hibbyradge
03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Have you never listened to Never Mind the Bollocks then?

I actually have 2 copies which I bought because of all the hype.

I haven't listened to either for over 20 years.

I do realise the effect they had on music, but I didn't rate them.

Much preferred The Saints.

Hiber-nation
03-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Opinions...I thought that The Saints only had 1 decent song. Good live though.

Never Mind the Bollocks was and still is as good as it gets for a punk album but nearly all of London Calling, bits and bobs of both the first album and Give Em Enough Rope and maybe just under half of Sandinista are amongst the best stuff you'll ever hear.

marinello59
03-01-2011, 01:58 PM
The Clash were by far the better band long term and are my all time faves. But I would give the Pistols the nod as the best punk band just because of the impact their initial singles made. In '76 and '77 they were IT.

Phil D. Rolls
03-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Opinions...I thought that The Saints only had 1 decent song. Good live though.

Never Mind the Bollocks was and still is as good as it gets for a punk album but nearly all of London Calling, bits and bobs of both the first album and Give Em Enough Rope and maybe just under half of Sandinista are amongst the best stuff you'll ever hear.

It took them another years to get to the London Calling stage. We don't know what the Pistols would have progressed (spit) to in that period. Probably something like Can or Captain Beefheart if Lydon had gotten his way.

However as far as the true spirit of Punk rock is concerned, the Pistols were as significant as Elvis was to Rock n Roll. Take from that what you will, but there is no denying that, as figureheads, they defined their genres.

Hillsidehibby
03-01-2011, 06:11 PM
It took them another years to get to the London Calling stage. We don't know what the Pistols would have progressed (spit) to in that period. Probably something like Can or Captain Beefheart if Lydon had gotten his way.

However as far as the true spirit of Punk rock is concerned, the Pistols were as significant as Elvis was to Rock n Roll. Take from that what you will, but there is no denying that, as figureheads, they defined their genres.

If the Pistols didn't split we might not have had PIL. :not worth

degenerated
04-01-2011, 10:33 AM

The Saints were a great band :agree:

However, Never mind the bollocks is a superb album and imho better than anything the Clash did. That's not to take anything away from the clash as their first three albums are excellent, wheres sanidista, combat rock and cut the crap are poor fare indeed.

Phil D. Rolls
04-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I think people fail to appreciate how brave it was to release a single called God Save the Queen at the height of the Jubilee in 1977.

Hibbyradge
04-01-2011, 10:56 AM
I think people fail to appreciate how brave it was to release a single called God Save the Queen at the height of the Jubilee in 1977.

Bravado or perfect opportunist marketing?

degenerated
04-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Bravado or perfect opportunist marketing?

a bit of both i reckon. although on the flipside Crass were'nt far off the mark when they sang "CBS promote the Clash - it ain't for revolution, it's just for cash" so it's not like the pistols were alone in that respect :agree: