PDA

View Full Version : If We Go Down.........,

johnrebus
28-12-2010, 12:01 PM
First of all I have to say that there is very, very real chance that we could be going down this year. We are that bad.

But, if we do, I think it could just be the best thing to happen to us long term.

Rod Petrie and STF need a pretty big wake up call IMHO because we have been drifting towards the rocks for a year now. I believe we need fundamental change at Easter Road and relegation could just bring it all about. Petrie has been good for the club but has overstayed his welcome and it is time for him to move on, I believe that he wields far to much influence over everything that goes on at the club. There must be somebody out there who can now move us on as a football club, not just a business.

I also think that Calderwood should go if we do go down. I know these are not his players, but he just does not come accross as a manager who can inspire anyone. He is dull, methodical and boring. Even the worst of managers can usually cajole some kind of positive reaction out of a squad when they first arrive, but - apart from Ibrox - we are as bloody awful as we ever were under Yogi and Mixu.

The SPL is boring beyond belief now and IMHO will only get even worse with a ten team league playing each other four times a season. The only thing that can ever relieve this would be the creation of some kind of entry into a British League - and that is obviously something that is a long, long way off.

With the correct blend of youngsters and bought in experience (the only, and I mean only player out of the current lot at ER I want to keep is Derek Riordan), we can start again in Division One, hopefully coming back in one season and without losing too much cash in the process.

I know am a just sad git who would watch Hibs if they were in the East of Scotland League, but at this moment in time I think we need to take a step back to move forward as a football club - which is , after all, what we are.

I am saying this, not because I want us to be relegated. I just feel that we should look upon it as an opportunity to get a large number of things sorted and bouce back stronger.

:taxi

Mark79
28-12-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't think it would be the best thing to happen. Bit different from the last time in that we have substantial repayments to make on the stadium. Rod said we needed the stadium to be more highly occupied on match days and we arent getting that just now. If we went down the cost per seat would be lower as the gate money in the 1st is cheaper. Wouldn't have any tv money either. We would then need to overhaul the playing staff as this bunch of clowns couldn't get us out the 1st.

We seriously need to avoid relegation at whatever cost.

cad
28-12-2010, 01:12 PM
I can understand your feelings - it is called resignation- we all have it within us. It gives us the ability to face our inevitable end as organisms. I sometimes think getting beat 7 or even 8 - 0 by the Jambos on ne'er day would also have a galvanising effect on the club.:greengrin

I most certainly do not want my club galvanising as you put it Young Sahib by way of a severe ramming by the Yams.
Woke up the last few nights screaming no ,no,no as the eighth goes in.
It was the topic of conversation in a few drinking establishments I visited for some liquid forgetfulness after our latest performance .
My nightmare starts as the team is read out over the tannoy , 7 names to put fear and anguish ,and a nappy on any Hibby
Hogg, Grounds,Harte ,Nish Rankin, Miller ,De Graaf :paranoid:

RickyS
28-12-2010, 01:26 PM
I don't think it would be the best thing to happen. Bit different from the last time in that we have substantial repayments to make on the stadium. Rod said we needed the stadium to be more highly occupied on match days and we arent getting that just now. If we went down the cost per seat would be lower as the gate money in the 1st is cheaper. Wouldn't have any tv money either. We would then need to overhaul the playing staff as this bunch of clowns couldn't get us out the 1st.

We seriously need to avoid relegation at whatever cost.

in this poor league to be where we are is unforgivable given we are the "model to follow" financially but we have to bust the budget and find at least 200,000 quid for 2-3 players to guarantee safety for this season.

DarlingtonHibee
28-12-2010, 01:41 PM
First of all I have to say that there is very, very real chance that we could be going down this year. We are that bad.

But, if we do, I think it could just be the best thing to happen to us long term.

Rod Petrie and STF need a pretty big wake up call IMHO because we have been drifting towards the rocks for a year now. I believe we need fundamental change at Easter Road and relegation could just bring it all about. Petrie has been good for the club but has overstayed his welcome and it is time for him to move on, I believe that he wields far to much influence over everything that goes on at the club. There must be somebody out there who can now move us on as a football club, not just a business.I also think that Calderwood should go if we do go down. I know these are not his players, but he just does not come accross as a manager who can inspire anyone. He is dull, methodical and boring. Even the worst of managers can usually cajole some kind of positive reaction out of a squad when they first arrive, but - apart from Ibrox - we are as bloody awful as we ever were under Yogi and Mixu.

The SPL is boring beyond belief now and IMHO will only get even worse with a ten team league playing each other four times a season. The only thing that can ever relieve this would be the creation of some kind of entry into a British League - and that is obviously something that is a long, long way off.

With the correct blend of youngsters and bought in experience (the only, and I mean only player out of the current lot at ER I want to keep is Derek Riordan), we can start again in Division One, hopefully coming back in one season and without losing too much cash in the process.

I know am a just sad git who would watch Hibs if they were in the East of Scotland League, but at this moment in time I think we need to take a step back to move forward as a football club - which is , after all, what we are.

I am saying this, not because I want us to be relegated. I just feel that we should look upon it as an opportunity to get a large number of things sorted and bouce back stronger.

Congraulations for the most ridiculous post of the year -

Given we are in a huge economis recesson, perhaps you could tell us, who would be better for Hibs than STF and RP, and give us a list of potential buyers ?

jdships
28-12-2010, 01:52 PM

Given we are in a huge economis recesson, perhaps you could tell us, who would be better for Hibs than STF and RP, and give us a list of potential buyers ?

Agree ! Totally pathetic for all the reasons you give .:thumbsup:

johnrebus
28-12-2010, 02:26 PM

I don't have a list of potential buyers, smartarse.

And please give us a detailed resume of why it is a riduculous post?

Wake up and smell the coffee.

:greengrin

johnrebus
28-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Agree ! Totally pathetic for all the reasons you give .:thumbsup:

All the reasons?

Hardly an erudite and thought out response.......,

:confused:

Dub
28-12-2010, 02:42 PM

It would be a disaster for Hibs if we got relegated. We are bad but we won't get relegated.

Rod Petrie and STF need a pretty big wake up call IMHO because we have been drifting towards the rocks for a year now. I believe we need fundamental change at Easter Road and relegation could just bring it all about. Petrie has been good for the club but has overstayed his welcome and it is time for him to move on

And given that he basically owns 10% of the club, would you mind telling me who is going to move him on? It would take someone to buy his share to shift him.

I believe that he wields far to much influence over everything that goes on at the club. There must be somebody out there who can now move us on as a football club, not just a business

See above

I also think that Calderwood should go if we do go down. I know these are not his players, but he just does not come accross as a manager who can inspire anyone. He is dull, methodical and boring. Even the worst of managers can usually cajole some kind of positive reaction out of a squad when they first arrive, but - apart from Ibrox - we are as bloody awful as we ever were under Yogi and Mixu.

It's the 'I know these are not his players' bit that allows you to argue with yourself in the same paragraph. The players contracts are running down [16 of them?]. If some of these players have their sights set on somewhere new they aren't going to give their all. Fergie couldn't get them to do that never mind CC.

The SPL is boring beyond belief now and IMHO will only get even worse with a ten team league playing each other four times a season. The only thing that can ever relieve this would be the creation of some kind of entry into a British League - and that is obviously something that is a long, long way off

I hope a british league never happens. It would be the end of international football as we know it because UEFA/FIFA would pounce on this and amalgamate Scotland/england/Wales/NI into one national side. Can you guess how many Scottish players would get a look in?

At the risk of repeating myself. We wouldn't come back up the next season. We did it last time because Rodders opened the cash box and allowed Judas to spend, spend, spend.

I know am a just sad git who would watch Hibs if they were in the East of Scotland League, but at this moment in time I think we need to take a step back to move forward as a football club - which is , after all, what we are. I am saying this, not because I want us to be relegated. I just feel that we should look upon it as an opportunity to get a large number of things sorted and bouce back stronger

Let's get things sorted out whilst remaining in this league JR

silverhibee
28-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I most certainly do not want my club galvanising as you put it Young Sahib by way of a severe ramming by the Yams.
It was the topic of conversation in a few drinking establishments I visited for some liquid forgetfulness after our latest performance .
My nightmare starts as the team is read out over the tannoy , 7 names to put fear and anguish ,and a nappy on any Hibby

:top marks

Mikeystewart
28-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Rod Petrie and STF need a pretty big wake up call IMHO because we have been drifting towards the rocks for a year now. I believe we need fundamental change at Easter Road and relegation could just bring it all about. Petrie has been good for the club but has overstayed his welcome and it is time for him to move on, I believe that he wields far to much influence over everything that goes on at the club. There must be somebody out there who can now move us on as a football club, not just a business.

a wake up call to what? the team is shiote and there is a chance of relegation, i think they know that. these are the same guys who where in the background during the success we had 3 years ago, and they have earned the backing now that times are tough.

Jim44
28-12-2010, 03:17 PM

You could say our dire, repetitive failure on the pitch is a 'Grounds Hogg' day. :greengrin

SloopJB
28-12-2010, 03:20 PM
We should all gang together and make a seriously worded thread on a forum which has a major influence on the decision making at Easter Road.

Pfffrrrt

that'll teach them

Phil D. Rolls
28-12-2010, 03:23 PM

I think a British League will be looking for clubs on a solid financial footing, as well as having modern stadia.

PaulSmith
28-12-2010, 03:27 PM
I think that it's a very valid point that Rod Petrie and the current board should be replaced. Nothing about potential buyers or STF selling up but the time is now for there to be a major shift in the direction that the club wants to go and how it goes about it.

Is that a crime to suggest that we say our thanks to Rod and ask him to pass the baton on but please not to the uninspiring nice guy Scott Lindsay.

Can we have someone with some passion to lead from the very top please, we've had 10 years of the grey safe pair of hands.

Toaods
28-12-2010, 03:30 PM
You could say our dire, repetitive failure on the pitch is a 'Grounds Hogg' day. :greengrin

You could say our dire, repetitive failure on the pitch is a 'Grounds Hogg' day. :greengrin.

Phil D. Rolls
28-12-2010, 03:34 PM
I think that it's a very valid point that Rod Petrie and the current board should be replaced. Nothing about potential buyers or STF selling up but the time is now for there to be a major shift in the direction that the club wants to go and how it goes about it.

Is that a crime to suggest that we say our thanks to Rod and ask him to pass the baton on but please not to the uninspiring nice guy Scott Lindsay.

Can we have someone with some passion to lead from the very top please, we've had 10 years of the grey safe pair of hands.

What direction should we go in and where will we end up?

PaulSmith
28-12-2010, 03:36 PM
What direction should we go in and where will we end up?

read the post in the PM forum ya radge! :greengrin

jdships
28-12-2010, 03:40 PM
All the reasons?

Hardly an erudite and thought out response.......,

:confused:

Erudite = characterized by great knowledge;

With respect the use of that word hardly fits fits your original post :greengrin
It comes accross very much as a knee jerk reaction
You say
"Petrie has been good for the club but has overstayed his welcome and it is time for him to move on, I believe that he wields far to much influence over everything that goes on at the club. There must be somebody out there who can now move us on as a football club, not just a business."
Given the present financial climate why would we want to see the back of the two pwople
( STF/RP) who have brought this club on to a sound financial footing , plus looking at ffootball clubs of a similar size as HFC where is this "white knighr" coming from ?

This has a lot more to do with
The ability of succesive manager's to use the resources they have been given in a proper manner.
A certain manager who lacked the basic man management skills to take the club forward .

Than simply blaming the financial side of things.
There are clubs with less resources than HFC through a decent mangement team are holding there own

As I say smacks of a knee jerk

:rolleyes:

Kaiser1962
28-12-2010, 03:52 PM
I think a British League will be looking for clubs on a solid financial footing, as well as having modern stadia.

I think we are well positioned for a British League. We would certainly meet the criteria.

lucky
28-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Going down would a disaster for Hibs. Even this shower will do enough to keep us in the league. Hamilton are awful as are St mirren and St Johnstone. I do agree we need to rid the team of the crap that is there just now. I would keep Brown, Bamba, Miller, Deeks , Trakis. The rest can go. Im not saying that some of the ones I would keep are blameless with their performances this season but they would give us a chance to build on something.

McIntosh
28-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Survival this season is the priority, the only priority. The club is playing the price for a flawed approach encapsulated by the determination not to replace quality with quality. To remedy this there must be immediate investment in players of the highest quality. The future of the club cannot be rested upon the shoulders of a group of players who as a unit have failed. Failure to address this by the manager or the board is nothing short of negligence. The price of failure will be relegation and the cost of this will be much greater than a million pound investment now.

IWasThere2016
29-12-2010, 12:25 AM
As for the rest of your post, why don't you register for an Economics / Business Mangement class, that may help ypu with understanding the running of a busniess with a multi million turnover - it is not as simple as you think.

:faf: You should find out more about those on here before posting such patronising pish :bye:

basehibby
29-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Relegation would be an utter disaster for us - especially having just upgraded the stadium. My hope is that RP et al will have learned their lesson from about 10 years back and will sanction sufficient signings over the next month so as not to allow relegation to become a serious possibility.

BT58
29-12-2010, 09:09 AM
The threat of relegation is indeed a reality
our form away is abysmal,, our home form not
much better!!!!
I'm sure the year we did get relegated , we still paid
Premier league season ticket prices, I may be
wrong on this, others can confirm/debunk
We did have a large following then,, if it happens
this time,, we will lose a lot of die-hards
RP must help CC in any way possible
What I don't get though is,, will we not
Be in the same situation in say 2 years time
When all new players will have been signed
At either jan/ summer,, there contracts will be
coming to an end at the same time????

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Going down would a disaster for Hibs. Even this shower will do enough to keep us in the league. Hamilton are awful as are St mirren and St Johnstone. I do agree we need to rid the team of the crap that is there just now. I would keep Brown, Bamba, Miller, Deeks , Trakis. The rest can go. Im not saying that some of the ones I would keep are blameless with their performances this season but they would give us a chance to build on something.

How many crap Hibs performances will it take before people realise we are equally keek if not worse than these other sides?

Captain Trips
29-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Since relagation 12/13 years ago the change with Hibernian off the park to today in 2010 is remarkable, compared to what the play is like well looks like we are not as far away from that as we should.

The football side of things has been treated as a side act compared to ott traing center and other matters, relegation will not help, the fact it is being discussed shows how badly the football side has been treated.

aberhibsfc
29-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Similar to the Miller situation, it's easy to say that we'd be better off without Petrie at the helm. Petrie has steered the club through many a choppy water most notably the satellite tv deal collapse.

I firmly believe that now we have steadied the ship, improved the stadium and training facilities he needs to clear his desk and review his fiscal policies. The club set out the season on the crest of a wave, new stand and a run in Europe on the back of the good league placing last year. Petrie will have entered this season confident that whilst the player budget had it's constraints would have been fit for purpose to build on last seasons progress. Unfortunately however our performance was not consistant with last season, well it matched the end but not the result. We have now had to once again provide a managerial casualty with a compensation package, coupled with a large squad which for the most part of the 16 should be allowed to move on (except Bamba, Miller, Riordan which we may not have any say).

Petrie's fruegal policy has remained intact as we staved off debt and developed our infrastructure however if we cannot afford to improve our team in the short term it's going to be a darn side harder to afford it in the longer term. We simply cannot afford to hit the 1st Division we could possibly pay a bit more than most of the 1st Div gates may improve but advertising would be massively down compared to what most consider poor fare in the SPL. Paying more to these players in a time of more difficult circumstances would be far worse than doing it now with the finances available to us. How could we entice better players to the 1st Div and how could we pay for them?

I don't agree that 1st Division is the answer, I don't agree that Petrie should not be in charge, however I do agree that he needs to review the boards stance now while there is a window and we can do something constructive about the situation. They reviewed Hughes position, they need to review their own.

sesoim
29-12-2010, 11:08 PM
The only thing wrong with the way this club is run is that Petrie is focking awful at appointing managers.

cad
30-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Tonight I thought Hibs turned the corner most of the problems on the bench ,bar 2 playing Hart and Nid didnt do us any favours
If he can drop Hogg for making a James of it Harts next for the chop , Nid maybe in a different roll but TBH I think his best isnt good enough anymore sad to say .
The Wee fella back and Duffy made Hibs look a different side a couple of signings in Jan and we are sorted I dont know what all the fuss is about :rolleyes: